Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Introducing Joseph "Get rich or kill those trying" $talin and his trusty wingman Lavrentiy Party-vich Beriya!

Featuring chrome-lined barrel (from the outside)

Senior party members only.

Mother loving P...I...M...P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Locator posted:

It's a Bling-Tank!

Blingskrieg?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Great to see the insanity that you guys are coming out with. My tank is going to be far more boring than that I think.

headcas3 posted:

Still waiting for my mail order IS but the local Aldi (in Melbourne, AU) are selling a handful of Airfix kits for $9.99, so I got something to tide me over

You are going to be so sad when your IS arrives and is nowhere near as nice a kit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm trying to do a beach, I've never done water before so I'm nervous but I've got some tutorials I'll be following. Trying to get all the scenery done first.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That looks great. Are you planning on painting algae or some sort of grime on the dock itself for the waterline?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Colonial Air Force posted:

That looks great. Are you planning on painting algae or some sort of grime on the dock itself for the waterline?

Oh yeah tons more work to be done. Going to get as much done before I do the water its self.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Baronjutter posted:

Oh yeah tons more work to be done. Going to get as much done before I do the water its self.

You should put some little :duckie: in the water :3:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

Introducing Joseph "Get rich or kill those trying" $talin and his trusty wingman Lavrentiy Party-vich Beriya!

Featuring chrome-lined barrel (from the outside)

Senior party members only.

the yoojest and most luxurious tank

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

"Tonight I'm gonna finish craptank."

"gently caress"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
So the Polish tree placed flaked out on me and wasn't able to complete the order, so I ended up ordering from Canyon Creek Scenics. Hol-lee-poo poo! These are the best looking model trees I've ever seen. These things are museum quality miniatures. I'll have the full reveal in a week or so now that I can get some real work done on the base, but if you guys ever need model trees, buy from these guys. The stuff is pricy, but worth every penny.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Are those prices per tree? Because they're nice trees and all, but I'm hosed if I will spend that much to do a wargames forest.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Well, I'm just diving in on this water project. Im sort of following a youtube tutorial from a guy with an amazing accent so I keep yelling "modge-podge!" in his accent at my wife while I work. I'm colour blind and don't know what I'm doing but I think it's turning out ok so far.

He was adamant that you DAB not paint the water area, it really does work nice. You get a pallet and get blue and green and black and only sort of mix them then dab dab dab.

Then I added the modge podge. According to his tutorial I need like 10 layers to build up a water texture and each layer takes about a day to dry, so I guess I have a before bed activity for the next couple weeks...

Sort of trying to almost sculpt little waves. It will dry totally clear so the whole white-cap wave effect will be gone, but at the end before I gloss-coat everything I can drybrush some of the waves.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That looks great!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Arquinsiel posted:

Are those prices per tree? Because they're nice trees and all, but I'm hosed if I will spend that much to do a wargames forest.

Yep. They're not meant to make a whole forest (unless you're stupid rich). They're just the amazing looking frontline trees; you buy/make cheaper trees to fill in the background.

Baronjutter posted:

Well, I'm just diving in on this water project. Im sort of following a youtube tutorial from a guy with an amazing accent so I keep yelling "modge-podge!" in his accent at my wife while I work. I'm colour blind and don't know what I'm doing but I think it's turning out ok so far.

He was adamant that you DAB not paint the water area, it really does work nice. You get a pallet and get blue and green and black and only sort of mix them then dab dab dab.

Then I added the modge podge. According to his tutorial I need like 10 layers to build up a water texture and each layer takes about a day to dry, so I guess I have a before bed activity for the next couple weeks...

Sort of trying to almost sculpt little waves. It will dry totally clear so the whole white-cap wave effect will be gone, but at the end before I gloss-coat everything I can drybrush some of the waves.

Very cool stuff!

How come you went with the Mod Podge route instead of using an actual water product though? With those, you could've done it in two or three pours. You can use artist grade gel-medium or even clear caulking on top of that as well to make the waves, and you can get instant wave height with those without the need to build up layers.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 12, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm realizing the whole scene is just begging for a ship... but N scale ships are so expensive and I've never built a ship before :(

So expensive even for his smallest ship
http://nscaleships.com/n-z-scale-ship-index/new-180-coastal-freightertankercontainer-ship/
And even so it looks... so so

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That looks great already!

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'm colour blind and don't know what I'm doing

I shouldn't laugh, but this really creased me up.

Your work continues to be amazing. The nostalgia factor is HUGE.

ETA: Get Locator to build you a boat. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Jeherrin posted:

I shouldn't laugh, but this really creased me up.

Your work continues to be amazing. The nostalgia factor is HUGE.

ETA: Get Locator to build you a boat. :v:

No way in hell am I working in that tiny scale. I'm having a hard enough time at 1:48!

Also, pretty sure he doesn't want to wait 3 years for a boat. :v:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The thicker parts of my modge-podge waves aren't drying right, it's like they're filled with bubbles or white or something. I don't know if I should just wait or do another coat or sand them down or what.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 12, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I've been annoyed that I've only been able to take very bad smartphone pictures of my tanks, so I looked into something to help me, short of a big expensive camera. When it comes to bang for your bucks, I think a homemade light box is about as good as it gets:

I wanted a proof of concept first, so I went out and got:
a $5 white shower curtain
a cardboard box
some white tape
a sheet of paper
two spotlights

Cut a whole in the sides (and top for an eventual extra light source). Cut pieces of shower curtain, and fix it over the holes with tape. Put a sheet of paper so that it curves from the bottom to the back side without any creases. Bam! Crisper pictures, even with bad cameras, and way fewer shadows.

Next I'll build a bigger one so that I can fit my kits, but I'm pretty happy that it turned out this well considering how little effort it was.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Very nice! I should try to put something like that together, but I'd need more lamps.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

lilljonas posted:

I've been annoyed that I've only been able to take very bad smartphone pictures of my tanks, so I looked into something to help me, short of a big expensive camera. When it comes to bang for your bucks, I think a homemade light box is about as good as it gets:

I wanted a proof of concept first, so I went out and got:
a $5 white shower curtain
a cardboard box
some white tape
a sheet of paper
two spotlights

Cut a whole in the sides (and top for an eventual extra light source). Cut pieces of shower curtain, and fix it over the holes with tape. Put a sheet of paper so that it curves from the bottom to the back side without any creases. Bam! Crisper pictures, even with bad cameras, and way fewer shadows.

Next I'll build a bigger one so that I can fit my kits, but I'm pretty happy that it turned out this well considering how little effort it was.

To expand: messing with the individual lights can help too, especially with things that have large areas that are the same general color but with a lot of physical detail. Google "three point lighting."

I'm phone posting, but the tl;dr version is that you have a light pointing at the thing from approximately the front, a dimmer light perpendicular to that to fill in shadows a little (without completely obliterating them and making the object look flat), and then a reflector (ie that white thing) or even dimmer light behind and a little the side. An actual backlight makes it easier to forego getting out a goddamn box.

A trick in low tech 3d games for making more convincing outdoor daytime scenes is to use a slightly blue directional light as a fill light. Presumably this would also work for photographing dioramas.

Do not look to my photos for guidance, I'm too lazy to put that much effort in. :downs:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 12, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The thicker parts of my modge-podge waves aren't drying right, it's like they're filled with bubbles or white or something. I don't know if I should just wait or do another coat or sand them down or what.

What are you talking about, I thought that was supposed to be water foam.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, I think the bubbles add to the effect. Once youve got it all down and drybrushed a little white onto the wave tips, it'll all blend into a really nice look.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I've heard clear caulking works well for simulating whitecaps.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, I think the bubbles add to the effect. Once youve got it all down and drybrushed a little white onto the wave tips, it'll all blend into a really nice look.

Agreed, I think it looks great already.

Back to the boatworks, I've been messing around with the swivel guns and how to mount them. Since I tossed the kit cast guns out, this would involve a lot of silver soldering and messing with scratch building little bits out of brass. I first build a 'square' mount, and a 'U' mount to compare them. After doing a bit of searching on the interwebs looking at swivel guns on older contemporary models I decided to go with the "U" mount, but smaller and tighter to the gun (which would later turn into a bit of a problem).

The compare.

And the batch of yokes made up and ready for the gun. Drilling these was pretty interesting, I ended up making a little jig to both form the U, and hold it still on the mill to drill through to make the holes to mount the guns.

I needed to add handles to the barrels, which was an interesting bit of soldering. I ended up doing a LOT of re-soldering as I kept melting one solder joint when working on another one (that problem I mentioned). In the future I'm going to invest in some different silver solders that melt at different temps. You do the first joint with high-temp, next one with medium, and the last (if you need three) with low temp solder.

After soldering the base rod on, before cleanup.

And some shots of the guns cleaned up and stuck on the ship to show how they mount in the little tubes that I had previously blackened and drilled into the supports.

I am going to blacken the guns and add a 'knob' on the end of the handles. Because I need to blacken the solder joints as well as the brass, I've had to order some new nasty chemicals that will do both, as my current Brass Black doesn't touch the solder joint and just leaves it silver.

I also made a stand, that isn't finished, but you can see what it's headed for.

I think I'm just going to put one more side support in at position 1, to keep the hull as visible as possible. The stand will get stained, probably golden oak or similar.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Hey remember that 1/12 scale F1 car I was making? Well I finished it:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Baronjutter posted:

That looks fantastic.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

I also made a stand, that isn't finished, but you can see what it's headed for.

I think I'm just going to put one more side support in at position 1, to keep the hull as visible as possible. The stand will get stained, probably golden oak or similar.

I like that the stand looks like a drydock framing thing (no idea what they're called). Like they're ready to knock out those front beams with a sledgehammer and let the ship slide in to the water.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Blue Footed Booby posted:

To expand: messing with the individual lights can help too, especially with things that have large areas that are the same general color but with a lot of physical detail. Google "three point lighting."

I'm phone posting, but the tl;dr version is that you have a light pointing at the thing from approximately the front, a dimmer light perpendicular to that to fill in shadows a little (without completely obliterating them and making the object look flat), and then a reflector (ie that white thing) or even dimmer light behind and a little the side. An actual backlight makes it easier to forego getting out a goddamn box.

A trick in low tech 3d games for making more convincing outdoor daytime scenes is to use a slightly blue directional light as a fill light. Presumably this would also work for photographing dioramas.

Do not look to my photos for guidance, I'm too lazy to put that much effort in. :downs:

It's been a while, but whenever I wanted to take a picture of a mini, I just took it outside :shrug:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

George Zimmer posted:

This looks fantastic. One small tip - hit the rolling surface of the tires with some sandpaper. It will not only knock that seam off, it will make them look like they've done a few laps. That being said, awesome job.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Iron Crowned posted:

It's been a while, but whenever I wanted to take a picture of a mini, I just took it outside :shrug:

Ewwwwww.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Locator, I just want to say that your ship posts do a good job of keeping me motivated to work on my (much, much) less ambitious modeling projects.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I got the goon-donated craptank in the mail today!

I set up with some classic Seinfeld to make it more bearable:

This model is not really good, but it's hard to say what is worst. Is it the millimeter-thick gap between the upper and lower hull? The cannon? The uneven wheels? The rubber threads?

Either way, I just finished it, and now I think I know how I'll paint it. :)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

lilljonas posted:

Either way, I just finished it, and now I think I know how I'll paint it. :)
If it doesn't get an assman license plate, then I'm not sure why you even bothered putting on Seinfeld.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Slugworth posted:

If it doesn't get an assman license plate, then I'm not sure why you even bothered putting on Seinfeld.

So you see, the muzzle break is not even hollowed out on both sides, Jerry. The backside is just a solid mess. Solid, Jerry! So I take out my pin vice and am just about to start going to town on that bad boy, I say to myself, "George, you're going to drill the hell out of that thing". You know what I see then? You know what I see, Jerry, just as I grab that pin vice? A big fat circle with the number 20, the god drat parts number, molded into the outside of the side hull piece. What kind of people are these Airfix company, Jerry?! Ya know, we're living in a society! We're supposed to act in a civilized way!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

George Zimmer posted:

Your car looks pretty great. I also noticed the seam in the tires, so if it isn't actually like that on a real car I'd consider sanding it as suggested by Boaz.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I like that the stand looks like a drydock framing thing (no idea what they're called). Like they're ready to knock out those front beams with a sledgehammer and let the ship slide in to the water.

Thanks, that's the effect I was going for (they are called slipways), but without the slope, as I wanted the model to sit level for display instead of at an angle. Also the slope makes the construction harder.

Kibner - I have no idea how me taking almost a year now for a single model can motivate anyone, but glad it's doing so! For whatever twisted and strange reason, I keep on enjoying puttering around in the room with sawdust (or solder, or noxious chemicals) for hours at a time.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

Kibner - I have no idea how me taking almost a year now for a single model can motivate anyone, but glad it's doing so! For whatever twisted and strange reason, I keep on enjoying puttering around in the room with sawdust (or solder, or noxious chemicals) for hours at a time.

It's the persistence. I'm trying to break a bad habit of stopping all work when getting "too busy" but then not going back to finishing what I was working on for weeks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kibner posted:

It's the persistence. I'm trying to break a bad habit of stopping all work when getting "too busy" but then not going back to finishing what I was working on for weeks.

Eh, I do that to, but when the build is spread out over what.. 10 months now? The breaks just become part of the process.

It's also useful in that when I'm frustrated with a specific issue, there is always something I can work on from a different part of the boat (like the swivel guns and the stand, those were neither one part of the current build sequence, I just felt like doing them).

Of course that's about to come to an end, where my choices will be 'what piece of rigging do I want to work on now?' :v:

I started building a 'Serv-o-matic' last night. Yes, that's actually the name of it. It's a tool that will let me 'serve' rope. I'll explain later on in the rigging process with photo's. It's really the only thing left to do at all other than the actual ship rigging, which is both good and bad. On the good side, the rigging is the last part of the ship, so the 'end' is sort of in sight. On the bad side, there isn't really anything different left to do, so it's going to be all rigging, all the time from now until the finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I watched a video on the serv-o-matic thing, it's pretty cool.

As far as breaks, after I broke that piece on my little ship, I put it in the box and haven't gone back. I will. Eventually?