Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kazinsal posted:

New PSU did nothing. Card is dead, 8 months after purchased.

As soon as I suck enough dicks to buy a new one, I'm getting a loving 970.

Should still be in warranty then, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kazinsal posted:

New PSU did nothing. Card is dead, 8 months after purchased.

As soon as I suck enough dicks to buy a new one, I'm getting a loving 970.

They have warranties.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
If I were to buy a used 980 with the intent of ripping off the HSF and throwing a AIO loop on it, is there any brands I should particularly prefer or stay away from?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DrDork posted:

If I were to buy a used 980 with the intent of ripping off the HSF and throwing a AIO loop on it, is there any brands I should particularly prefer or stay away from?

I'd try to get an EVGA one, they have a 3-year transferable warranty and EVGA does not give a crap if you take the cooler off or replace it with an AIO, just keep the old cooler and toss it back on if you have to RMA it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Should still be in warranty then, no?

Not transferable on open box hardware. Stupid loving decision on my part. Totally hosed myself.

Jury rigged card didn't work. Won't output once windows starts to boot.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Kazinsal posted:

Not transferable on open box hardware. Stupid loving decision on my part. Totally hosed myself.

Did you try a heatsink with zipties, or did you try the waterblock with a ziptied fan?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Always help a fellow goon out. :unzip:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

Did you try a heatsink with zipties, or did you try the waterblock with a ziptied fan?

Heatsink with zipties and a 120mm fan. Output in the BIOS but nothing after.

I'm going to just pull out an old laptop I have lying around, clean it out, install windows 8, hook it up to my IPS, and watch some goddamn netflix.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
That's why I'd never buy open box hardware. I'll buy used without a warranty for non-critical/older stuff but if you're getting something like a GPU or PSU it's always a good idea to go with new parts or at least have a transferrable warranty. Not worth saving a couple bucks since it can bite you later. My review-sample SS-XM2 PSU is the only exception I've made to that but it was never opened so the warranty is probably valid, although I'd expect it to easily last 7-8 years given how overkill it is for my system.

Was the swapped PSU older or low-wattage? Maybe it can't handle the 290 whereas the regular PSU was just hitting its age limits?

future ghost fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 13, 2015

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Older PSU was 750W, new one is 650. Two fairly high wattage power supplies not even booting up the card suggests to me at least that it's the card.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

cisco privilege posted:

That's why I'd never buy open box hardware. I'll buy used without a warranty for non-critical/older stuff but if you're getting something like a GPU or PSU it's always a good idea to go with new parts or at least have a transferrable warranty. Not worth saving a couple bucks since it can bite you later. My review-sample XMS2 PSU is the only exception I've made to that but it was never opened so the warranty is probably valid, although I'd expect it to easily last 7-8 years given how overkill it is for my system.

Was the swapped PSU older or low-wattage? Maybe it can't handle the 290 whereas the regular PSU was just hitting its age limits?

I always thought it was strange that random used cards sold on a street corner could have the full warranty "transferred" (mostly its just not tracked, which is even more lax) but as soon as one gets returned from manufacturer to a retailer the warranty drops to 90 days or whatever.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yay, new windows 10 nvidia drivers to fix BF4 crashes.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Do most people just use the default Nvidia drivers or should I be using the drivers EVGA has? For a 980 Ti Classified if it matters.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If they differ I'd be surprised, but would also want the NVIDIA ones if so.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Use the nvidia drivers downloaded from the website. The ones on the disc are typically outdated. I'm pretty sure there aren't manufacturer branded drivers out there, at least not that I've come across.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Kazinsal posted:

Older PSU was 750W, new one is 650. Two fairly high wattage power supplies not even booting up the card suggests to me at least that it's the card.
Seems correct. If both of them are doing it card's probably toast.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anti-Hero posted:

Use the nvidia drivers downloaded from the website. The ones on the disc are typically outdated. I'm pretty sure there aren't manufacturer branded drivers out there, at least not that I've come across.

I guess there are or used to be for mobile SKUs.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Kazinsal posted:

I would still send XFX an email. You might be surprised. If you are on [H] there is an XFX rep that lurks in the video card forums and is usually pretty responsive. If you need I can look up his handle.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

XFX is surprisingly okay about returns, but my experience was back in 2010 with a 5770, and five years is plenty of time to run poo poo into the ground.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So, finally finished The Witcher 1. Super awesome bonus, I was able to import my save into Witcher 2 and start out fairly geared up.

That being said, SLI 980 Ti isn't enough to get 60 fps locked at "ultra" settings and 7880x1440. I had to turn off whatever the hell "UberSampling" is. It's the only one in red, so I figured it was the most important. Sure does look pretty though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

So, finally finished The Witcher 1. Super awesome bonus, I was able to import my save into Witcher 2 and start out fairly geared up.

That being said, SLI 980 Ti isn't enough to get 60 fps locked at "ultra" settings and 7880x1440. I had to turn off whatever the hell "UberSampling" is. It's the only one in red, so I figured it was the most important. Sure does look pretty though.

Ubersampling is what they call supersampling. I'm not surprised you couldn't get good frames at 15760x2880.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Witcher 2 is still a great looking game 4 years on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

veedubfreak posted:

It's in red as a warning. It is not a setting of honour. There is no treasure there.

Alpha Man
Jun 23, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

It's in red as a warning. It is not a setting of honour. There is no treasure there.

We considered ourselves to be power users.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I just had to explain why I was laughing to my wife. She did not find it funny.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Argh. Laptop overheats and crashes five minutes into any game whatsoever -- even a menu. I guess I'm going to hit up Craigslist and see if I can find a GTX 660 for under a hundred bucks to tide me over until this RMA is dealt with. I'll probably take the CS650M I picked up to test back to the store, bite the restocking fee, and use the refund for the temporary card.

I know this really isn't the "right" thread for this, but my story started here, so I might as well continue it here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alpha Man posted:

We considered ourselves to be power users.

I love you. :hf:

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Argh. Laptop overheats and crashes five minutes into any game whatsoever -- even a menu. I guess I'm going to hit up Craigslist and see if I can find a GTX 660 for under a hundred bucks to tide me over until this RMA is dealt with. I'll probably take the CS650M I picked up to test back to the store, bite the restocking fee, and use the refund for the temporary card.

I know this really isn't the "right" thread for this, but my story started here, so I might as well continue it here.

You've ruled out the motherboard and hard drives and everything else?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The Witcher 2 has a pretty ugly sharpening filter that you can disable in C:\Users\*username*\Documents\Witcher 2\Config\user.ini I think it says "allowsharpen=1" and you turn it to 0.

Also turn off the bloom.

Also a 750W Psu is enough for a 970 and a 660ti (to be used as a PhyX card), right?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bleh Maestro posted:

You've ruled out the motherboard and hard drives and everything else?

Any other card I put in boots fine, and without a card it POSTs with a series of beeps that means "I need a video card, rear end in a top hat", so yeah.

With the 290 in, it doesn't even get text or a BIOS splash screen on the display. Won't even throw up a "you forgot something" message if I plug it in without PCIe power cables like my friend's GTX 660 does.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 14, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

I've got am EVGA GTX760 I'm trying to get rid of.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I've gotten a few card-related offers, and I really appreciate them, thank you, goons. I'm afraid I must decline them, though, as I am incredibly strapped for cash, and I've found a friend willing to loan me a GTX 660 until my RMA comes through.

You guys rock :)

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Every time I launch a game I get a BSOD saying my nvlddmkm.sys is not responding. I've tried everything I can think of and google on, and nothing seems to work: driver wipe / fresh install, expanding the old .sys file as a backup, using default windows drivers.

I think my video card got cucked. Anyone else ever seen this and recovered from it?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mutation posted:

The Witcher 2 has a pretty ugly sharpening filter that you can disable in C:\Users\*username*\Documents\Witcher 2\Config\user.ini I think it says "allowsharpen=1" and you turn it to 0.

Also turn off the bloom.

Also a 750W Psu is enough for a 970 and a 660ti (to be used as a PhyX card), right?

Good to know, I was wondering why it had some funky jaggeds with everything maxxed. Also, good to know that the red video setting doubles my resolution, that might explain why it don't work. My only complaint so far is that you have to save and exit the game to change keybindings and graphics settings.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Mutation posted:

Also turn off the bloom.

Yes, easily, although im not sure about the performance gains there

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

I've gotten a few card-related offers, and I really appreciate them, thank you, goons. I'm afraid I must decline them, though, as I am incredibly strapped for cash, and I've found a friend willing to loan me a GTX 660 until my RMA comes through.

You guys rock :)

So XFX is cool with replacing the 290? Good news man.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

I don't see why not. For the longest time, XFX have offered a double-lifetime warranty, as in, transferable once. When Red and Green were more comparable, that was the deciding factor in going Red a couple of times.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

The rep I talked to gave the option of an RMA so hopefully I'll get the care shipped out within a couple days and get it back in a few weeks. Border crossings allowing, of course. :canada:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

They also were (and hopefully still are) cool with taking off the cooler and fitting your own, as long as you put the original cooler back on when you sent it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Don Lapre posted:

Yay, new windows 10 nvidia drivers to fix BF4 crashes.

not for me, but that is probablky just my system overall. I'm trying to return both of my b stock gtx 980 to evga because my system is horribly unstable with them. With the newest drivers i get a boot loop every minute after i log in, and before that bf4 would crash with a bullshit DX out of memory error (gotta have at least 512MB you know).

What I'm trying to say is that I can't use 2 cards with SLI on or off and I'm upset.