Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't know of any items like that but there are some spells that can only be gained from some covenants, which means either playing online for a long time or grinding for items to rank up in the covenants.

You can drop almost any non-key items in dark souls 1 which other players can pick up (dark souls 2 added a few restrictions but still lets you drop most items), but obviously that doesn't let you transfer items between your own characters unless you work with someone to trade back and forth. People have found ways to glitch items around their own characters though, besides just using cheats. And in dark souls 1 you can play through the whole game at a low level, then in NG+ invade people in the starting areas with your overpowered stuff from the end of the game. Dark souls 2 mostly put a stop to that but people still do their best to make twinks (or just straight up cheat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yeah there are no online-only items in DS1 anymore. Every covenant with an online component can be grinded for instead. Co-op and invasions. They are actually arguably faster to do that way than online play.

It's still a dumb and obscure system, but really the only standouts are Darkmoon Blade (objectively equal at its most grindiest level to Sunlight Blade) and Sunlight Spear (worthless for PVP and most of PVE because it is so slow and has so few casts)

Otherwise it's all gravelord stuff which is just outright bad in comparison to pyromancy, which fulfills the exact same roles

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Heavy Lobster posted:

A thing dragging Shadow of Mordor down: I don't like when the one captain who's been coming back from the grave and intercepting you for the past hour finally dies for good. I like the rotating cast of orc jerks to murder, but I'll miss having That One Guy who exists solely for me to behead over and over again.

In my Shadow of Mordor run I had Golm the Uncatchable, who had the traits of being immune to sneak attacks and ranged, ran super fast, had the ambush trait to come out of nowhere, and also had the trait where he'd just leave you for dead sometimes instead of actually killing you.

When I got the branding power I came back to the first map to brand him and finish him for good, but looking back I really should have kept him alive so that he'd be my final boss.

There was also this one orc who had crazy poisoned dual boomerangs as weapons? He just made me so mad when he killed me that I told all my orc buddies to pile onto him, though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had one named [whatever] the Literate. He wore nice clothes and spoke well. He was my first project to make chief but I accidentally killed him in a big ambush. He never came back and it makes me so sad.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think my problem with Shadows of Mordor is that I never really bought into the orc chief thing. I just enjoyed fighting and killing them and I made an effort to kill them whenever I could, but beyond that the game isn't really that special so I guess it's my fault :/

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I liked Shadows of Mordor but the thing that bothered me the most were so many skills were locked behind missions. To get all the skills you had to basically complete 3/4ths of the game.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Heavy Lobster posted:

A thing dragging Shadow of Mordor down: I don't like when the one captain who's been coming back from the grave and intercepting you for the past hour finally dies for good. I like the rotating cast of orc jerks to murder, but I'll miss having That One Guy who exists solely for me to behead over and over again.

I am not going to lie, when I accidentally killed my nemesis Figug the Ugly with a head explosion I felt really upset and almost wanted to reload a save.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't be surprised if I posted this generic complaint before, but oh well:

Whenever a survival game has things like hunger/thirst (seeing as how it's supposed to be a survival game, after all), I always wind up either disabling it if I can. The reason is simple: I get so :tinfoil: about having enough food/etc that the notion of exploring goes out the window. I build basically where I spawn and don't engage with anything else, turtling up.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

khwarezm posted:

SS2 is quite overrated and has the single dumbest ending I have ever seen in a video-game. It still baffles me that nobody ever brings it up when that game is mentioned which makes me suspect that quite a few people(particularly those who claim its the best thing ever) never bothered to actually finish the game.

Your right, and in any event you see a bunch of populi before they turn being all 'Holy poo poo, Booker Dewitt! This is so awesome! Its an honour to fight alongside you, I thought you were dead' then they all flip around and desperately try to kill you on Fitzroy's demand with no dissent, its so badly done.

The ending to ss2 is godawful but hilarious so its fine anyway, the main gameplay is 10/10

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The missions in shadow of mordor are completely boring. Id like a mod to just let me play the game without having to play the main game and just let me dick around with orc politics because i got bored before you can even brand orcs and poo poo.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

death .cab for qt posted:

Yeah there are no online-only items in DS1 anymore. Every covenant with an online component can be grinded for instead. Co-op and invasions. They are actually arguably faster to do that way than online play.

It's still a dumb and obscure system, but really the only standouts are Darkmoon Blade (objectively equal at its most grindiest level to Sunlight Blade) and Sunlight Spear (worthless for PVP and most of PVE because it is so slow and has so few casts)

Otherwise it's all gravelord stuff which is just outright bad in comparison to pyromancy, which fulfills the exact same roles

Darkmoon blade is better than sunlight blade when you're rankef up to +3 (that means grinding for 80 souvernirs of reprisal).
These are the exact numbers.

Sunlight blade: Magadjust * 1.8

Darkmoon Blade (per covenant level):
+0: magadj * 1.8
+1: magadj * 1.9
+2: magadj * 2.0
+3: magadj * 2.1

Darkmoon blade at max level is the strongest weapon buff in the game, but it is for Faith, which means the mag adjust is dependent on talismans while intelligence uses catalysts, I'm not sure what the best talisman is, but i think a crystal magic weapon is (wit only magadj * 1.4) comes pretty close to darkmoon blade because of the tin crystallisation catalysts absurd magadjust.

The best talisman at 99 faith is darkmoon talisman with 240 magadjust, theoretically giving a buff that puts 240 * 2.1 = 480 + 24 = 504 damage at most.

The best catalyst, tin crystal catalyst ha 315 magadjust with 99 intelligence which gives a theoretical max of 315 * 1.4 = 315 + 126 = 441 damage.

So basically; start grinding them souvernirs in painted world!

Also you might think that great lightning spear is another bad locked-behind-online-play miracle, but sunlight spear is much better anyways and you get it from murdering gwyn. So that leaves dragon bro covenant which is honestly pretty useless and only good for gimmick builds.

Curdy Lemonstan has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Aug 13, 2015

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Alaois posted:

because if somebody's posts makes reading a thread actively worse, I'm going to tell that person they're a loving idiot and should stop posting?

Hey dude I don't have a claim to stake but is this post about you? There's been a lovely derail that you started because a guy complained about something he didn't like in a game thread specifically for complaining.

The thing dragging down this thread is you.

Another thing dragging down everything: I want to play xcom on the xbox one.

pop fly to McGillicutty has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Aug 13, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The thing dragging down Bioshock is that Atlas's voice didn't melt away into a female robotic drawl as it called you a pathetic insect, revealing the true antagonist of the game as SHODAN.

Basically what I'm saying is that now that Bioshock's studio has dissolved or whatever, it's time to get System Shock 3 off the ground.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was put off by Bioshock initially because of how bad Atlas' accent was.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Heavy Lobster posted:

This has been the case in literally every version of Team Fortress.

Nah lots of QTF and TFC turned into snipers v snipers.

Most servers I played on had a 1 sniper per team restriction as a result :v:

You know what I miss? The Hunted! Why haven't they added the VIP to TF2 yet? I mean honestly The Hunted would be a great game mode.

I get that payload is similar and takes the human element out of the equation, which is probably better in lots of cases. But why not add in the option to have a human VIP if the people playing know what they're doing?

Playing assassins and bodyguards was really good times.

EmmyOk posted:

I was put off by Bioshock initially because of how bad Atlas' accent was.

Moy nayme's ahtlahsss, and oye intende to keep youse aloive.

Its not really a problem though because Fontaine is supposed to be faking an accent, although maybe too obvious?

Morpheus posted:

The thing dragging down Bioshock is that Atlas's voice didn't melt away into a female robotic drawl as it called you a pathetic insect, revealing the true antagonist of the game as SHODAN.

Basically what I'm saying is that now that Bioshock's studio has dissolved or whatever, it's time to get System Shock 3 off the ground.

Eh, maybe not Atlas but Andrew Ryan came pretty drat close to calling you a pathetic insect many times. Especially... you know.

SpookyLizard posted:

The missions in shadow of mordor are completely boring. Id like a mod to just let me play the game without having to play the main game and just let me dick around with orc politics because i got bored before you can even brand orcs and poo poo.

This is a major flaw with almost all open world games, see grand theft auto or farcry.

With FC3 it was bad enough (the open world gameplay was fantastic but the story was ridiculously lovely and limited you to doing very specific things... in a sandbox?!?) to the point where fans modded the game to just unlock everything through sandbox gameplay instead.

I think most open world games would do better to embrace the GAME part and forget so much about trying to make a narrative movie experience. Leave that to the linear games. Sandboxes are for sandboxing.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Aug 13, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Darkmoon blade is better than sunlight blade when you're rankef up to +3 (that means grinding for 80 souvernirs of reprisal).
These are the exact numbers.

Sunlight blade: Magadjust * 1.8

Darkmoon Blade (per covenant level):
+0: magadj * 1.8
+1: magadj * 1.9
+2: magadj * 2.0
+3: magadj * 2.1

It also deals Magic damage, which many enemies resist more than lightning, meaning it ends up balancing out about even overall with Sunlight Blade, which is a set magadj*1.8 Lightning spell

That's another dumb part of the game, though: everything resist magic, which makes grinding for that powerful of a spell only slightly better than the option that requires killing the boss of your covenant. They scale off the same stats, so if you make DMB better, SLB gets better. There's no point in the game where you can really say "okay, I'm definitely glad I'm dealing magic damage instead of lightning", but there is an entire branch of the main game where magic damage is useless and lightning owns bones.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Final Fantasy really burns my biscuits

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That's another dumb part of the game, though: everything resist magic, which makes grinding for that powerful of a spell only slightly better than the option that requires killing the boss of your covenant. They scale off the same stats, so if you make DMB better, SLB gets better. There's no point in the game where you can really say "okay, I'm definitely glad I'm dealing magic damage instead of lightning", but there is an entire branch of the main game where magic damage is useless and lightning owns bones.

This is actually one of a few things about souls games I think needs major improvement.

Weapon elemental damage types and spell elemental damage types are limited enough and balanced already, so there's no need to add further modifiers. Like were they concerned magic would be OP? (It still is) It just makes things really inconsistent.

If you had a zone called like the LAVA CAVES then yeah sure, make all the enemies in that zone resistant to fire and then players can realize that fire is a bad option in this zone, switch which spell they're using or which weapon they're swinging, and then move forward. Like pokemon.

But when its just random enemies in a random dungeon happening to have invisible resists that are in no way telegraphed to the player other than you're doing less damage and other weapons that used to do less damage suddenly do more, that's just awkward. Either don't bother with elemental resists changing per-enemy or otherwise make them really obvious. If an enemy is resistant to dark, it needs to read that way. You should look at him and think "oh poo poo this is some evil magic motherfucker right here" so you have some chance.

And also magic users would need more magic options. If you put all your points into magic only to find out this zone's enemies are resistant to magic damage, you're kinda hosed. Yeah there's miracle damage spells but pure int casters can't use those, whoops. And there's pyromancy but that's a whole other tree of magic, not an option within int magic. Int magic all does magic damage, so there's not many options.

It'd work better if magic users had like fire, lightning and cold spells, and then some enemies would be resistant to one in particular but not the others. And then you'd have more of a reason to carry around multiple different types of weapons with different elements, other than some annoying durability system breaking them and forcing you to. Plus then you can have 3 versions of all damage spells and that's more things for FROM to hide in dungeons for you to go find. "Hey I found the iceball spell at the bottom of the frozen lake" etc.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

You know what I miss? The Hunted! Why haven't they added the VIP to TF2 yet? I mean honestly The Hunted would be a great game mode.

I get that payload is similar and takes the human element out of the equation, which is probably better in lots of cases. But why not add in the option to have a human VIP if the people playing know what they're doing?

Moy nayme's ahtlahsss, and oye intende to keep youse aloive.

Its not really a problem though because Fontaine is supposed to be faking an accent, although maybe too obvious?

Eh, maybe not Atlas but Andrew Ryan came pretty drat close to calling you a pathetic insect many times. Especially... you know.

This is a major flaw with almost all open world games, see grand theft auto or farcry.

With FC3 it was bad enough (the open world gameplay was fantastic but the story was ridiculously lovely and limited you to doing very specific things... in a sandbox?!?) to the point where fans modded the game to just unlock everything through sandbox gameplay instead.

I think most open world games would do better to embrace the GAME part and forget so much about trying to make a narrative movie experience. Leave that to the linear games. Sandboxes are for sandboxing.

GTA has atleast usually had fun missions with cool setpieces, that make you want to play them and put up with whatever lovely missions find their way into the required list. And FC3 at least doesnt have that many, though the way it locks off skills sucks. I actually like FC3 story, atleast as far as it we t for following a bland everyman into becoming the psychotic king of murder island. It was a nice reconciling of the character and the player.

So far Saints Row is one of the games to really get sandboxes right. Jump right in and have fun, or do missions, or whatever. The game does t really give a gently caress.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

This is correct. I played hunted SO much. Not having it drags it down.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

It also deals Magic damage, which many enemies resist more than lightning, meaning it ends up balancing out about even overall with Sunlight Blade, which is a set magadj*1.8 Lightning spell

Oh word! I didnt think that darkmoon blade used magic, since it's faith based. Sunlight blade is probably the better option then (except for ornstein, and uhm like gwyn?).
But darkmoon talisman is still the best talisman, so for ~*~<*{lore friendly}*>~*~ reasons all proper aspergers should use darkmoon blade with darkmoon talismans.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You've got Payload, which does a far better job at making all the classes shine and is less reliant on individual players doing well. Last time I played (2 years ago) it was the most popular game-mode too, so they must have something right (RIP tc_hydro, you stalemating son of a bitch).

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 16:56 on Aug 13, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

You've got Payload, which does a far better job at making all the classes shine and is less reliant on individual players doing well. Last time I played (2 years ago) it was the most popular game-mode too, so they must have something right (RIP tc_hydro, you stalemating son of a bitch).

Zaphod42 posted:

You don't say?

Thing is at this point TF2 is just adding whatever the gently caress they can come up with. Sure, do payload first. Absolutely. But now that its loving 10 years later and they're adding literal kitchen sinks to the game, why not add in VIP mode too?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Oh word! I didnt think that darkmoon blade used magic, since it's faith based. Sunlight blade is probably the better option then (except for ornstein, and uhm like gwyn?).
But darkmoon talisman is still the best talisman, so for ~*~<*{lore friendly}*>~*~ reasons all proper aspergers should use darkmoon blade with darkmoon talismans.

This only applies if your FTH is around 40-50 though, because much like Logan's Catalyst, the overall scaling doesn't kick in for Darkmoon Talisman until a crazy high FTH. :v:

It's on paper better, but if you're just going for a DEX/FTH build to buff weapons you will probably stop FTH at 30 so you can get the majority of good scaling off FTH while also having enough souls left over to boost DEX. 50 FTH is more of a NG+ goal.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I only play Payload and certain CP maps. Most maps are unbalanced poo poo storms in favor of ZANY antics. gently caress that.

SKill-Git gud or git out

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Neverhood is one of my favorite games but it has three major things dragging it down:

-Finding a copy these days is akin to winning the lottery
-It is a major pain to get it running on my Windows 8 laptop, and because all the graphics are claymation they're locked into an upscaled 640x400 resolution with no hope of a graphics overhaul
-Holy god almighty Klaymen walks slower than poo poo, I am not looking forward to grabbing the tablet from the hall of records.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

SpookyLizard posted:

GTA has atleast usually had fun missions with cool setpieces, that make you want to play them and put up with whatever lovely missions find their way into the required list.

One thing I like about GTA5 is that very few of the missions are lovely gimmicks. Actually the missions are really well designed, by and large. The driving in GTA5 is really solid, so even the missions where you have to drive all the way from one end of Los Santos to the other are okay because the driving is chill and you can listen to good music and generally good dialogue along the way. And the gunplay is acceptable and the setpieces are good, so combat missions aren't a problem either. GTA5's problem is that there isn't much to get up to outside of the missions; the strangers and freaks missions are largely kinda dumb, there's no random vigilante mode, and there's not really any way to engage in violence outside of missions because cops are such a drat pain in the rear end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

The Neverhood is one of my favorite games but it has three major things dragging it down:

-Finding a copy these days is akin to winning the lottery
-It is a major pain to get it running on my Windows 8 laptop, and because all the graphics are claymation they're locked into an upscaled 640x400 resolution with no hope of a graphics overhaul
-Holy god almighty Klaymen walks slower than poo poo, I am not looking forward to grabbing the tablet from the hall of records.

http://www.armikrog.com/

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

One thing I like about GTA5 is that very few of the missions are lovely gimmicks. Actually the missions are really well designed, by and large. The driving in GTA5 is really solid, so even the missions where you have to drive all the way from one end of Los Santos to the other are okay because the driving is chill and you can listen to good music and generally good dialogue along the way. And the gunplay is acceptable and the setpieces are good, so combat missions aren't a problem either. GTA5's problem is that there isn't much to get up to outside of the missions; the strangers and freaks missions are largely kinda dumb, there's no random vigilante mode, and there's not really any way to engage in violence outside of missions because cops are such a drat pain in the rear end.

It's okay you can just play GTA Online

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hmmm thanks for the link, I heard about this ages ago but didn't preorder it and had no idea it was coming out so soon! Rad.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

SpookyLizard posted:

So far Saints Row is one of the games to really get sandboxes right. Jump right in and have fun, or do missions, or whatever. The game does t really give a gently caress.

Can't remember what I did for SR3 but for SR4 I had so much fun powerbombing round the map with superjump that I ended up doing most of the mini battles and virus invasion content before I even got to the ship. After that it was just an endless stream of newly rescued characters giving me quests that instantly completed themselves because I'd already done the content in the Matrix. Good fun.

The part about SR4 that dragged it down for me is a bit of a mixed blessings complaint. They did an amazing job with the powers but consequently made supermanning across the map so much fun I don't think I even got in a car unless it was a special mission. The driving and car customising was pretty good in 3 and I felt not having to do it unless I wanted disconnected me from the gameworld a bit; instead of having to learn the layout of the map I could just run up a building and then superglide in the direction of the questmarker. The minigames became short diversions in between flying over the city following the arrows.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In some way, reusing the Steelport map really worked well, because if you played SR3 you already know it and can zip around in SR4 with wild abandon.

Similar complaint though: I always end up doing gang operations in SR3 from a hoverbike, and some of them are actually located in kinda neat setpieces that you'll miss when you're not on foot. Not on the level of the sex doll cave in SR2, but still unusual places.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm playing through some classics, Tomb Raider 2 was hard but I managed it with only one look at a guide and I felt stupid as it was obvious in hindsight. On the other hand, if you locked me in my house until I beat Tomb Raider 3 without a guide, I think I would starve to death. It doesn't seem to follow conventional game design where the most interesting way is usually the right way. I've already had two episodes of being stuck for ages (I hate resorting to guides) where new places with items and ammo were blind alleys and you were meant to jump to some barely-visible ledge in a darkened corridor.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

not defending him, just curious as to why you care so much

show me on the doll where jastiger touched you

it's okay

you're among friends

Jastiger alt account?

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

This only applies if your FTH is around 40-50 though, because much like Logan's Catalyst, the overall scaling doesn't kick in for Darkmoon Talisman until a crazy high FTH. :v:

It's on paper better, but if you're just going for a DEX/FTH build to buff weapons you will probably stop FTH at 30 so you can get the majority of good scaling off FTH while also having enough souls left over to boost DEX. 50 FTH is more of a NG+ goal.

Yeah thats true, 50 faith is specially a ng+ goal if you want the sunlight spear. It's a shame str/faith builds aren't more viable, that woghammer (Grant, right) you get from the paladin is great. It really is a shame that the split damage types are as useless as they are, some really cool weapons for faith are totally pointless because of it.

(Luckily demons souls is great for str/faith builds)

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
More weird puzzles from Tomb Raider 3. There's a bit where you have all your weapons taken from you and this level has a long drop into a pool where a large fan pulls you underwater, you swim for the surface, but it's no good. You spot an underwater passage you can escape down, it leads back up to a small area with a locked door, a guard and some windows. Of course! I have to goad the guard into shooting the windows and I can escape through them! Very similar puzzle appeared in Tomb Raider 2. He won't shoot, though, I try to lead him down the corridor, but I just can't make him fire in the direction of the windows. Has the game glitched out from some reason? I Google it and it turns out that I am barking up the wrong tree, the correct solution, obviously, is to the discover that if you swim in juust the right way, Lara can outswim the current and there's a switch there that opens the door the guard is well, guarding. I'm beginning to see why this one is regarded as the hardest Tomb Raider.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

In some way, reusing the Steelport map really worked well, because if you played SR3 you already know it and can zip around in SR4 with wild abandon.

For the most part I thought Steelport was really bland and boring compared to Stilwater but giving you a full game to mess around in the Steelport map with conventional controls and then giving you all kinds of crazy superpowers to tear through that same map in the next game was a stroke of genius.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Agreed. People bitched endlessly about how "lazy" Volition was for reusing Steelport but you're almost always traveling a such high speed that the city doesn't really matter

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Those same people tend to be the ones who go nuts for SR2 as the pinnacle of the series, despite it being so successful partly because they were able to recycle Stillwater in its entirety. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Alaois posted:

know what, I've actually got something to post for once.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura. I don't know which is sadder or more plausible, that the developers tried to balance the Tech and Magic paths, and failed completely and utterly, or that they didn't even try and knew full well that Magic was better in every conceivable fashion compared to Tech.

Back when that came out, I went with magic, and my roommate went with tech. After a couple of hours of time, he was digging through every trashcan in the main city looking for items to make bullets, he was constantly broke and struggled on most fights. My magic character on the other hand ran roughshod over every encounter in the game. I used summon magic initially, as one of the early spells in the tree summoned 2 ogre characters that could tank anything and did pretty huge damage. They fixed that in a patch, but by that time I had found the most overpowered spell in the game, a early tier magic spell that made an enemy drop their weapon. It almost always worked, and most enemies didn't have the AI to pick the weapon back up, so they'd run up and try to punch me. If they didn't have a weapon, there was still all the other spells and abilities.
Meanwhile, my roommate got a lovely spider bot to summon that lasted maybe a round of combat, cost materials to use and had to rely on guns. I don't think he ever finished it as tech.

Game had a nice soundtrack though.