Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Tea Bone posted:

Any recommendations for recipes to ease me into Campari?

I bought a bottle of it, it has an amazing herby taste to begin with but then tastes like bile when it hits the back of my throat. I thought it might be better once I used it in a cocktail but it's still too bitter for my liking.

I've read a few people who have started off hating it then something clicks and they love it. I'd like to get to that point.

Take the proportions way down. I love Campari, but I think a cocktail containing 1/3 Campari like the classic Negroni recipe would be way too much. Use it like a bitters that comes in a way bigger bottle without a dasher cap.

Try the "old fashioned" template, do either whiskey or brandy, some kind of sweetener, and small amounts angostura and campari. Innovate from there.

Add a tiny bit to soda water. I open canned seltzer water (any flavor) and pour a little bit of Campari directly into the mouth of the can carefully, drink. Now when I drink seltzer without this it feels incomplete, that's how much I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tynam
May 14, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

I've read a few people who have started off hating it then something clicks and they love it. I'd like to get to that point.

I tried long and hard to like Campari, but it never clicked for me despite trying various Campari cocktails from great bars and trying tons of variations at home. It's simply too bitter to enjoy and overpowers everything else that goes on in a drink. I'm a fan of a balanced drink, and anything with campari never feels properly balanced.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you can't get into Campari, there's always Aperol. Meanwhile, my wife won't drink Aperol because it tastes too much of aspartame.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Add a tiny bit to soda water. I open canned seltzer water (any flavor) and pour a little bit of Campari directly into the mouth of the can carefully, drink. Now when I drink seltzer without this it feels incomplete, that's how much I like it.

Same but with Miller High Life (or a nice kolsch or whatever)

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Try making a Jasmine or Boulevardier, maybe scale down the portion of Campari for the Boulevardier if you're easing into it.

Really hot weather tends to make amaris more enjoyable - Cynar or Campari sno-cones on a hot day are amazing.

Cardamom-infused Campari is great too.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kenning, how do you make the ice block for the punch?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I've been using United Service Punch as a go-to for taking along to parties, for several years now since learning about that drink in this thread.

For some baffling reason I moved to Liberia, and there's probably nowhere to buy Batavia Arrack anywhere in West Africa, so since there's a party this evening I decided to make USP but using rhum agricole instead, and though it's not quite the same, I think it has some of that funkiness that regular white rum doesn't, so under the circumstances a workable substitute.

I brought about 2.5 liters of punch to a party of 150 or so people (I wasn't a featured drink, I iust brought punch instead of a six-pack or bottle of plonk). It was gone in under an hour, multiple people asked for the recipe, etc. so chalk up another win for United Service Punch. That's also the recipe where I learned to make oleo saccharum, which was pretty much my Red Pill moment so far as my understanding of citrus goes.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Tea Bone posted:

I bought a bottle of it, it has an amazing herby taste to begin with but then tastes like bile when it hits the back of my throat. I thought it might be better once I used it in a cocktail but it's still too bitter for my liking.

From, 2013:

I made a Bitter Mai Tai last night, and god drat was it good.

1.5oz Campari
.75oz Jamaican rum
1oz lime juice
.75oz orgeat
.5oz orange liqueur

Shake/cracked ice double old fashioned/mint sprig

Bitter, tight, refreshing. It went down so fast, so good. Any size ice you like would work, just fill the glass.

Still true.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

goferchan posted:

Same but with Miller High Life (or a nice kolsch or whatever)

I highly recommend this one. I use my favorite summer ale.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Kenning, how do you make the ice block for the punch?

I don't know about how he does it but if you find a Tupperware container of the size you want (or whatever) and fill it with water and put it in the freezer it will turn into ice. Perfect ice blocks every time

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Try making a Jasmine or Boulevardier, maybe scale down the portion of Campari for the Boulevardier if you're easing into it.

Really hot weather tends to make amaris more enjoyable - Cynar or Campari sno-cones on a hot day are amazing.

Cardamom-infused Campari is great too.

Yeah boulevardiers were my ticket into negronis and the wider world of campari.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Also, if you can get your hands on a bottle, Leopold Brothers Apertivo is like Campari but tastes 1000x better.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

goferchan posted:

I don't know about how he does it but if you find a Tupperware container of the size you want (or whatever) and fill it with water and put it in the freezer it will turn into ice. Perfect ice blocks every time

I'm just concerned about getting it out after the fact. Does it pop out okay?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Try Campari and tonic on the rocks. I had trouble with it at first too but that tasted straight up good to me from the start.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

Tea Bone posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. The Death & Co book has a recipe for the Bitter French, of which it says "In my opinion, this French 75 variation is the best beginner Campari drink in history":

1 ounce Plymouth gin
1/4 ounce Campari
1/2 ounce lemon juice
1/2 ounce simple syrup
dry champagne
1 grapefruit twist

Shake all ingredients (except the champagne and the grapefruit twist) with ice, then strain into a flute. Top with champagne. Squeeze the grapefruit twist over the drink and discard. No garnish.

I tried it (except with Tanqueray) and though it was pretty good, while I don't really like the actual taste of Campari (yet).

Edit: I just made a Boulevardier because of the suggestions above, and that is pretty tasty as well!

Bubz fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 14, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Yum Negronis

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I use stainless steel bowls for ice blocks. When you want to use it just turn it upside down and run water over the bowl. The metal expands and the block pops out.

To be honest though, lately I've just been buying ice blocks from the store and chipping them down to size. I've been pretty lazy about it. Also I lost all my stainless steel bowls somehow.

Use an ice bowl that is 25% the size of your punch bowl.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Also, if you can get your hands on a bottle, Leopold Brothers Apertivo is like Campari but tastes 1000x better.

I saw this at my K&L a couple months ago, but it had a bunch of weird sediment in it that looked a lot like bacterial contamination I see in the lab. Is yours perfectly clear or is it supposed to have floaties? Just worried that K&L got a bad batch and while I'm interested in trying it, I'm not if it's gone bad.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I most definitely do not remember floaties or sediment, that sounds like a bad batch. You May want to drop them a line, they're very responsive about questions/concerns.

Skinny
Aug 15, 2015
Speaking of Campari-esque bitter orange deliciousness, Tempus Fugit's Gran Classico is a great candidate for experimentation. Makes a great Campari sub in a Negroni.

Tempus Fugit does a lot of really cool poo poo, like resurrecting Abbott's Bitters: http://abbottsbitters.com

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I am making Regent's Punch, as posted by Kenning, and am having trouble finding Batavia Arrack. What's a good substitute?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I would say a white Martinique rhum would be a decent approximation. And let us know how it goes! Regent's Punch is advanced punchery and it should be amazing.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

cbirdsong posted:

I am making Regent's Punch, as posted by Kenning, and am having trouble finding Batavia Arrack. What's a good substitute?

As mentIoned last page, I recently used rhum agricole as a substitute for BA since the booze selection in West Africa is limited, and I was pretty happy with how it came out. It's not the exact same, but way closer than just generic rum is, has that kind of slightly sulphurous funkiness to it that so characterizes BA.

I once gave a buddy a jigger of BA to try (I bought a case of glass test-tubes to be able to give friends little taste-samples of things) and he got all upset at me because it was horrible. Despite my explicitly telling him to mix it, he drank it neat. I love BA in fruity mixed drinks, but I think it's ghastly on its own.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I absolutely sip on Batavia. Sometimes you just want to lick a mossy rock.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
First time i had Campari my dad handed me a unidentified shot and told me to try it, that was a dick move.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Kenning posted:

I absolutely sip on Batavia. Sometimes you just want to lick a mossy rock.

I had very little interest in Batavia Arrack until you described it as licking a mossy Rock. I have now decided I must acquire some. But then again lovely the peatiest Islay scotches one can find. So I may be broken.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

trauma llama posted:

I had very little interest in Batavia Arrack until you described it as licking a mossy Rock. I have now decided I must acquire some. But then again lovely the peatiest Islay scotches one can find. So I may be broken.

That taste come from moldy rice cakes. Not kidding. So ymmv.

Great mixing spirit though, lot of character.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
idrank some whiskey yesterday

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015
Anyone got any drink recipes that have banana liquer in them? I got a bottle for making bananas foster, but I have no goddamn idea what to do with all that's left.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Which brand?

Giffard does a good job on their website of providing recipes, look what they have listed for their Banane du Bresil liqueur. It has a cognac base though, so if you are using a different brand and want it to tastes the same, you may need to adjust.

Other than that, I've had it in a really good spin on an old fashioned with bourbon and chocolate bitters, piņa Colada, with rum and coffee flavors, etc. traditional "exotic drink" combos (the proper name for "tiki" drinks) that originated with pineapple can also be adjusted/subbed with banana.

Play around.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
So, Everclear has a new ad campaign...
http://makeityourown.com

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Glad they finally figured out we weren't just making jungle juice.

Good for them, hopefully the price won't sky rocket. I actually usually use a different brand but that's just because I need to meet order minimums.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Failed Nihilist posted:

Anyone got any drink recipes that have banana liquer in them? I got a bottle for making bananas foster, but I have no goddamn idea what to do with all that's left.

Drink it ya dingus!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Failed Nihilist posted:

I only have one suggestion. It's hardly a refined, premium cocktail, but come on--this is the kind of thing you make when you're trying to get rid of a bottle of 99 Bananas or whatever. Also, if you're of a certain age, your friends will probably like it, and may have sex with you.

Banana Creme Pie
1.5 oz. whipped cream vodka
1.0 oz. banana liqueur
0.5 oz. noisette (I honestly wouldn't bother with Frangelico)

Serve up or on the rocks. If on the rocks, you should probably let this dilute for a bit because it's a sticky syrupy blend of liqueurs.

It's honestly been quite awhile since I made one of these, so you can play around with the ratios a bit. This is basically adapted from a Key Lime Pie recipe that my bartending friend got a lot of mileage out of, which is similar but replaces banana liqueur with Rose's lime and a splash of seltzer or Sprite.

Nooner posted:

Drink it ya dingus!!
Dusty?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 20, 2015

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Phfff, Everclear. Get on my level:

As an aside, anyone got some cocktail recommendations featuring Galliano?

I'll offer up one I coaxed a beleaguered waitress into divulging:

Next Word

1 oz Gin (Bluecoat pref)
.5 oz Galliano
.5 oz lemon
1 oz Orchard Pear

Shake, strain into coupe

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

There have got to be dozens of cocktails invented by bright-eyed bartenders that are called the "Next Word." Poor kids.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kenning posted:

There have got to be dozens of cocktails invented by bright-eyed bartenders that are called the "Next Word." Poor kids.

:golfclap:

EDIT: I wrote something incredibly similar and then noticed you beat me to it.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I have kind of a strange request.

This evening I impulse bought a jar of Lychee popping boba (small balls of lychee juice inside a gelatin - like skin) and realised once I got it home it only has a 7 day shelf life.

Can anyone think of something I can use it in?

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Tea Bone posted:

I have kind of a strange request.

This evening I impulse bought a jar of Lychee popping boba (small balls of lychee juice inside a gelatin - like skin) and realised once I got it home it only has a 7 day shelf life.

Can anyone think of something I can use it in?

Martinis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Froyo topping? :v: