Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jim doesn't have that silly rule.

He........he's a cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Cops are generally allowed to kill people who are trying to kill them.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Chaos Hippy posted:

Cops are generally allowed to kill people

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dr. Hurt posted:

Cops generally kill people

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The best part of that entire sequence is the one poor schmuck who gets a bulletarang right to the junk.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

RandallODim posted:

The best part of that entire sequence is the one poor schmuck who gets a bulletarang right to the junk.

Ironic considering Gordon is apparently not a Robocop fan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Chaos Hippy posted:

Cops are generally allowed to kill people who are trying to kill them.

But you probably don't want your glorified PR poster boy based on someone who pretty famously doesn't do that (or is he famous for that? Are we back to the idea that people think the Batman kills baddies?) to do so.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair that would require planning and decent writing, two things the book seems to lack.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

SynthOrange posted:

Wow okay so if you take batarangs and make them small and shoot them out a gun at people's heads it turns out they're pretty lethal!

The panels initially didn't load for me so for a moment, I thought you were telling us something you'd discovered through real life application.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Everything Counts posted:

The panels initially didn't load for me so for a moment, I thought you were telling us something you'd discovered through real life application.

Panels? :confused:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair that would require planning and decent writing, two things the book seems to lack.

Perhaps you should read the book before making brash statements as it is in fact quite good.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Cops are generally allowed to kill people

SynthOrange posted:

Cops generally kill people

Can't say I disagree.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Isn't this part of the arc where Gordon is investigating a criminal who is giving gangers drugs that give them super powers but also spectacularly self destruct.
So Jim using lethal force in self defence against ticking time bombs makes it a bit more justifiable.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
No, you see, he's doing things differently than Bruce would have, and different is bad, mmkay? Being an entirely different character with entirely different motivations and rules is not an acceptable excuse :reject:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

No, you see, he's doing things differently than Bruce would have, and different is bad, mmkay? Being an entirely different character with entirely different motivations and rules is not an acceptable excuse :reject:

Or maybe some people don't approve of murder.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think having Batman kill people now that Batman is a cop under the mask is weird for a few reasons. Having Batman be publicly under the auspices of the Gotham PD means that there is now a cop whose name you will never know, whose face you can't identify, with millions of dollars from a private corporation behind him, who can kill you and 100% guaranteed get away with it. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth considering that normal cops don't need a robot suit or batarang guns to kill people and get away with it these days, even though their identities are public. I love Jim, he's one of my favorite Bat-characters and he's always been an unflinchingly moral person, and I feel like in a better story he would realize the issues with this situation, he would be unwilling to use lethal force either out of respect for the mantle he's carrying, or because a cop killing with even less accountability than normal is a terrifying prospect and Gordon really shouldn't be comfortable with that. I get the feeling though that Snyder's Batman isn't interested in addressing these issues and when BatGordon inevitably must go rogue and take on the shady corporation that created him it's not going to be because he's got serious moral objections to being a privately funded public servant but because of some kind of overly obvious "now we're cartoonishly evil" Robocop pastiche.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also a batarang gun is stupid

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Alaois posted:

..and? It's a Batman book, everything about it is essentially stupid!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alaois posted:

To be fair Snyder did a good job of making it the least stupid tech thing introduced in that issue.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alaois posted:

What's the weather like on your home planet?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's still practicing throwing them SEE LAST ISSUE!!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, apparently this week on Humble Book Bundle, the really awesome 2011 run of the Dungeons and Dragons comic is available for whatever you wanna pay for it.
http://comicsalliance.com/dungeons-dragons-humble-bundle/

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

CharlestheHammer posted:

He........he's a cop.

This was a good Robocop joke that nobody got. :smith:

e: whether or not you actually meant it to be

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Alaois posted:

So is a car shaped like a bat, but everyone loving loves that.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Alaois posted:

Eh, it's just a themed flechette gun. It's a pretty practical way to keep the themed gizmos without Gordon suddenly knowing ninjitsu.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

..and? It's a Batman book, everything about it is essentially stupid!

i'll have you know that in the classic films of christopher nolan he conclusively proved blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You know who else had a cybernetically-enhanced batsuit and bat-shaped flechette launchers?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Batman specifically uses batarangs as a non-lethal alternative to guns, so making a gun that shoots lethal batarangs is just kinda... why?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Alacron posted:

Yeah, Batman specifically uses batarangs as a non-lethal alternative to guns, so making a gun that shoots lethal batarangs is just kinda... why?

Because it's a batman comic and things are shaped like bats a lot of the time in them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Silhouette posted:

You know who else had a cybernetically-enhanced batsuit and bat-shaped flechette launchers?

Azrael in batman themed Suit of Sorrows armor during the Knight-Fall/Redemption arc?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Alacron posted:

Because some people really miss the 90's.

Got to be Extreme!!!!

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Alacron posted:

Remember, this is DC Comics. We should just be happy that MechaBatman Jim Gordon has yet to pull somebody's arm off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Master of Kung Fu #4: Shang-Chi fights his evil dad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Master of Kung Fu #4: Shang-Chi fights his evil dad.

Is this one as good as the original run of Master of Kung Fu?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Is this one as good as the original run of Master of Kung Fu?

I haven't read the original, but this is one is just a Secret Wars mini, it's only four issues long, and it's very enjoyable. I'd highly recommend it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I like the arena they're in the best, and especially how they behave differently in it - Shang Chi cautiously steps over the buildings and shows judicious use of power, but Evil Dad is all Godzilla with the smashing of the buildings around him.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
10 rings? Mandarin's involved?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

10 rings? Mandarin's involved?

The Ten Rings are just a school of martial art employed by Shang-Chi and Zheng Zhu (his dad). All the "kung fu" in the book is pseudo-mystical junk, like there are some mutants earlier whose powers are just explained as them trying to master crazy "techniques" that went horribly wrong.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 15, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The bald girl at the end is that world's Kitty Pride who is stuck in intangible form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also Cypher shows up and dies in the issue he's introduced. :downs: