Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol if you dont have robust automation infrastructure set up for your shittop fedora installs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the install gui for linux should just be replaced with jenkins

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i started using tmuxinator tonight and holy poo poo

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

k-zed posted:

just give up and learn vim already.

(actually i used to be a nedit user, and moving to vim turned out to be a great decision)

all forms of vi have even less sane key shortcuts than emacs. i don't like the ui of my nerd text editor to be too radically different from editors for normals

jony neuemonic posted:

one of my friends swears by textadept. sounds like it ticks most of your boxes, and it supports a bunch of languages so verilog is probably in there somewhere.

thx will give it a look, sounds like it might not handle large files but i don't need that too often

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

this is probably a real bad idea but i'd like some replacement text editor recommendations

i use nedit. what's good about it: actual graphical text editor with semi standard gui features and sane (read: not emacs) shortcuts, excellent rectangular cut/paste/fill, handles 100+MB text files without choking, has verilog & system verilog syntax coloring, and most important of all the regex capable search/replace dialog box is more usable than anything i've encountered anywhere else. it's not that it's fancy (it isn't), what i like is that it is insanely easy to drive from just the keyboard, moreso than anything else i've found in other editors. also the nigh infinite history of past search/replace strings is p. good.

nedit's problem, and the reason i hope to find a replacement: it is a dead project. dead dead dead. fell victim to the linux toolkit wars / cadt development methodology. the authors decided to give up after it became clear that it was either going to be a rewrite from the ground up for a new toolkit or they'd be condemned to an eternal hell of trying to work around problems in their ancient toolkit. nedit hasn't seen an update in years, looks klunky these days, and it's only a matter of time before $shitty_new_distro breaks it enough that it's useless.

so... anyone know of any editors with the properties i like?

just customize emacs to use the keybindings you want, you'll be way better off in the long run

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

BobHoward posted:

all forms of vi have even less sane key shortcuts than emacs. i don't like the ui of my nerd text editor to be too radically different from editors for normals

Enabling cua-mode will make emacs implement standard keyboard shortcuts if you're really that attached to them. It's not that difficult to relearn three or four binds, though, considering the hundreds you'll end up internalizing. "standard" keybinds are pretty poorly placed anyway if you use a computer often enough that you don't need mnemonics for trivial operations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

how the gently caress are you going to bootstrap chef, or puppet, onto a desktop linux system, bsd. how. should he automate that too? should he make the image before he installs it on his undoubtedly lovely computer? should he run a kickstart and pxe server? should he use foreman too..

chef and puppet both ship self-contained binary packages so that your cfg mgmt doesn't depend on the software components you are attempting to manage. both also have serverless and virtual-server modes so you don't have to spin up some kind of enterprise horseshit to work with a single host.

how else would they work? as you point out, it would be impossible to bootstrap otherwise

it is pretty obvious you have never worked with the best-of-breed configuration management systems. that also explains why you find ansible to be more than merely tolerable.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ralith posted:

Enabling cua-mode will make emacs implement standard keyboard shortcuts if you're really that attached to them. It's not that difficult to relearn three or four binds, though, considering the hundreds you'll end up internalizing. "standard" keybinds are pretty poorly placed anyway if you use a computer often enough that you don't need mnemonics for trivial operations.

for copy/paste, the emacs semantics are so different from non-1980s apps, having similar shortcuts would be as much hindrance as help

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

no emacs

im allergic

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

chef and puppet both ship self-contained binary packages so that your cfg mgmt doesn't depend on the software components you are attempting to manage. both also have serverless and virtual-server modes so you don't have to spin up some kind of enterprise horseshit to work with a single host.

how else would they work? as you point out, it would be impossible to bootstrap otherwise

it is pretty obvious you have never worked with the best-of-breed configuration management systems. that also explains why you find ansible to be more than merely tolerable.

uhh the self contained chef. omnibus. starts redis, postgres, rabbitmq, and 6 other daemons of various languages. u are painfully stupid

https://github.com/chef/omnibus

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

no emacs

im allergic

immunotherapy works

just expose yourself to just a little bit at a time

pretty soon you won't even notice it

or you could use a better OS than Linux, like OS X, and switch to BBEdit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

uhh the self contained chef. omnibus. starts redis, postgres, rabbitmq, and 6 other daemons of various languages. u are painfully stupid

https://github.com/chef/omnibus

it only starts all those services on a chef server. why would i want a chef server in order to manage a single node?

as i mentioned, puppet and chef will happily operate without a server

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

anything interesting in FreeBSD 10.2?

any news ways in which BSD > Linux?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it only starts all those services on a chef server. why would i want a chef server in order to manage a single node?

as i mentioned, puppet and chef will happily operate without a server

why would you install anything period when ansible will configure your system with zero bootstrapping. truly a difficult question. masterless puppet and chef = you need to log in and install poo poo like a literal caveman

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eschaton posted:

anything interesting in FreeBSD 10.2?

any news ways in which BSD > Linux?

bsd is dead, you might want to consult netcraft

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have a strong suspicion bsd has never used puppet or chef and this is mostly armchair autism

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
i like a good IT automation slapfight

pram
Jun 10, 2001
look fedora and ubuntu dont even come with ruby. please stfu

rhel and ubuntu: ready to be provisioned via ansible BY DEFAULT. chef and puppet, not so much

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

eschaton posted:

immunotherapy works

just expose yourself to just a little bit at a time

pretty soon you won't even notice it

or you could use a better OS than Linux, like OS X, and switch to BBEdit

or maybe id croak over and die foaming at the mouth from a violent reaction. what about that???

there are two reasons i cant switch to bbedit/textwrangler.

one, its search/replace is almost a perfect nedit clone except it is missing the vital functionality of just hitting up arrow / down arrow to navigate through past search/replace pairs. that's really most of the brilliance of its search box, realizing that access to history is way more important than using up/downarrow to move the insertion point in the text entry boxes

two, it only runs on os x and i need an editor that runs on a linux even though i do use the better os. maybe you could help out by asking tim cook to bribe eda tool vendors to port to os x?! i'm sure there's a great business case for this

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

rhel and ubuntu: ready to be provisioned via ansible BY DEFAULT. chef and puppet, not so much

lol depending on system python. broken out of the box.

puppet and chef are still ruby-based, but they have actual commercial users. go figure that they considered use cases other than startup weeaboos, so they don't depend on system ruby

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ready for ansible, unless the target system is slightly different in some way that wasn't expected oops

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ansible is idempotent in the same way chef and puppet are. fly away troll

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

ansible is idempotent in the same way chef and puppet are. fly away troll

sure, after you get it to run the first time.

the challenge is that it has to run on every brain damaged python it might find. it's agentless and doesn't ship its own runtime, so if you break system python you also break the cfg mgmt meant to fix system python. oops. gg.

but it's ~*~ agentless ~*~!!!!!!

it depends on hundreds of mb of random poo poo that may or may not be installed or working, but it didn't install an ~*~ agent ~*~

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
using ansible is a lot better than nothing. pram, i salute you for actually trying to do poo poo right

but

ansible's design goals are dumb. they done hosed up. agentless is the wrong model for just about every use case. a bad tool is better than no tool, but i can't think of a scenario where ansible would be my go-to

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i think bsd's answer was a good linux answer to a linux question in that it was technically correct but ultimately not helpful b/c the asker is a dumbshit who wants Good Thing, but doesn't have a clear idea of what Good Thing is. I guess what i really want is to not have to janitor my own linux. or get good enough at linux that i don't occasionally irrevocably break something that necessitates a clean install.

like i spent about a few hours learning how to setup an email server. a few weeks have passed and not only have i forgotten what the email server is called, i've forgotten what files i've modified to make it work. if i want to move to a new vm instance or something i'll have to redo all that stuff :/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

Linux is terrible but atleast their smart enough to not include dead language ruby

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Barnyard Protein posted:

i think bsd's answer was a good linux answer to a linux question in that it was technically correct but ultimately not helpful b/c the asker is a dumbshit who wants Good Thing, but doesn't have a clear idea of what Good Thing is. I guess what i really want is to not have to janitor my own linux. or get good enough at linux that i don't occasionally irrevocably break something that necessitates a clean install.

like i spent about a few hours learning how to setup an email server. a few weeks have passed and not only have i forgotten what the email server is called, i've forgotten what files i've modified to make it work. if i want to move to a new vm instance or something i'll have to redo all that stuff :/

lol you're problem is that you' trying to run a mailserver

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

epic thissery

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

listen to this man

do not run a mail server

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i once ran a mail server, it was like taking care of a baby and i didnt remember of being pregnant before it

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
pros of running a mailserver on a $10/m linode instance: cheap, it works for now and when it breaks: no more email. win win win

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

pros of running a mailserver on a $10/m linode instance: cheap, it works for now and when it breaks: no more email. win win win

microsoft office 365 is $5/month
google apps for business is $5/month

both are email services that include a bunch of other stuff you will never use.

in neither case do you have to worry about being hacked, being an open relay, or being added to spam RBLs. fighting to get off RBLs is the fuckin worst

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
google is free if ur a nonprofit :smug:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

being an open relay

when I first set up my email server I hosed up and did this. within minutes someone was using it to spam, I shut it down immediately so didn't get blacklisted or anything. setting up a mail server sucks and I wouldn't do it again, listen to the others and get fastmail or smth

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Fastmail is good. Running your own mailserver is bad.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fastmail imo

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

fastmail, forever and always.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sure, after you get it to run the first time.

the challenge is that it has to run on every brain damaged python it might find. it's agentless and doesn't ship its own runtime, so if you break system python you also break the cfg mgmt meant to fix system python. oops. gg.

but it's ~*~ agentless ~*~!!!!!!

it depends on hundreds of mb of random poo poo that may or may not be installed or working, but it didn't install an ~*~ agent ~*~

as usual, a total non issue, because you're grasping for straws. python ships with linux because other stuff, already on the system, depends on it. if your system python is broken (uhh) then you have other problems to worry about beyond configuration management

Barnyard Protein posted:

i think bsd's answer was a good linux answer to a linux question

this is where you're wrong

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i mean must i honestly remind you that YUM, and even DNF, is written in python

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

as usual, a total non issue, because you're grasping for straws. python ships with linux because other stuff, already on the system, depends on it. if your system python is broken (uhh) then you have other problems to worry about beyond configuration management

fixing a broken system is configuration management. if the system python is broken due to a hosed patch or something, i want cfg management to fix it, not barf

good configuration management tools don't depend on the system. ansible is excluded from the category, for this among many reasons