Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Tremendous Taste posted:

Google Rand Paul

click Lumpen -> Profile -> Rap Sheet.

CCKeane posted:

Quick, somebody link the thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Lumpen posted:

You know who would be a pretty good president? That guy Rand Paul. I think a non-interventionist foreign policy, a comprehensive reform of the racist criminal justice system, an end of the war on drugs, ending corporate subsidies and bailouts, and balancing the budget would be pretty nice. I think ending all that NSA domestic spying seems reasonable too.

A quick look at Rand Paul's haircut demonstrates his poor judgment.

If a man won't listen to his barber why would he listen to his advisors?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Magnus Gallant posted:

Do you guys like games of chance?

Anyone who quotes this post before 10pm will have a 1/10 chance of being sent a dick pick

Will the dick be hard or soft?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Tremendous Taste posted:

Google Rand Paul

That's a good idea. I think I will Google Rand Paul. It seems like the press coverage has been dismissive, but maybe if I investigate further I will get a better sense of what he stands for, and I might Stand with Rand on a lot of issues.

Edit: wow did you know he filibustered for an unbelievable amount of time to speak out against the domestic use of military drones, and also against the Patriot Act and warrantless mass surveillance of Americans' communications? Pretty impressive.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I don't know why libertarians hate democracy so much.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

I don't know why libertarians hate democracy so much.

Because there is no liberty in democrazy.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Democracy isn't good

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Rand himself is actually a pretty funny and entertaining dude that I can agree on with a lot of things but no thanks as prez

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Why not?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I would probably play softball with Rand Paul and have a good time and then add him as a Facebook friend and be like "AW man he is a weirdo politically" and then have to gently steer the conversation away from politics every time it came up. I'd probably steer it toward anime because I bet Rand Paul loves anime.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

Why not?

If I'm thinking of the right guy he's racist

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
I'm excited that Bernerd Saunders will give free college diplomas to every American, raise the minimum wage to $19.95, and require all food to be made with fresh local organic ingredients. He is a very grand wizard indeed.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

merk posted:

Why not?

I feel he'd just end up being more divisive leadership, we need a graham cracker prez

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Lumpen posted:

balancing the budget

This is a terrible idea, and really not necessary.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Magnus Gallant posted:

You are thinking of 1960/70s Ron Paul. Rand Paul has made some eyebrow-raising comments, but I'm not really sure he's racist. His comments surrounding the Michael Brown shooting and his position on the war on drugs could be interpreted as racist... but also could be interpreted as very not racist. I'm not really sure what's up with him.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Tbc I think rand would make a cool bidenesque vp

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

EccoRaven posted:

click Lumpen -> Profile -> Rap Sheet.

sometimes I wonder why this community is so passive-aggressive but then I think it would probably be worse off if it was just aggressive.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I would watch a movie with Rand Paul, probably the hit 2006 romance The Lakehouse starring Sandy B. and my boy Keanu. When we were done we'd go for a walk and talk about how the movie made us feel, then get some coffee at this cute shop down the street that also serves biscuits. We'd joke about how they're not as good here as they are in the South, and then talk about a few more things we miss. He'd notice I was getting a little too wistful, though, so he'd steer the conversation towards our weekend plans. I'd say I was going to a party Saturday night, and he'd say he has rallies and fundraisers otherwise he'd love to come with. I'd joke about our disagreements (he's opposed to the Iran deal and same sex marriage, for instance), and he'd smile and say that he's glad we're friends anyway, that he's always really happy in an abstract sense when people can forge friendships across party lines, since it reflects that even if we disagree about issues we're all still Americans. I call him out for stumping to me, and he'd blush, a little embarrassed. "It's hard to turn it off," he'd explain. "I am running for President after all."

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tremendous Taste posted:

I feel he'd just end up being more divisive leadership, we need a graham cracker prez

The tough news is that I don't think divisiveness will be altered at all based on who gets elected president. Our two-party system feels really broken.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

You are thinking of 1960/70s Ron Paul. Rand Paul has made some eyebrow-raising comments, but I'm not really sure he's racist. His comments surrounding the Michael Brown shooting and his position on the war on drugs could be interpreted as racist... but also could be interpreted as very not racist. I'm not really sure what's up with him.

I think a looooot of stuff regarding race depends on when/where you are drawing the line and how you are defining it. It is very, very easy to support racist policy and such out of ignorance and apathy, and many people would include that as racism alongside the more explicit racism that Ron Paul's newsletters are known for.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
You know, I think in our modern age we are advanced enough to end all taxation, and instead fund all government programs voluntarily with Kickstarter. Now that would be true democracy!

I bet Planned Parenthood would get easily funded, while things like foreign military intervention, bailouts of big banks, militarising police forces, and domestic NSA spying wouldn't do so well. If people don't care about something enough to choose to pay for it with their own money, it probably shouldn't get done with other people's money (or putting everyone in debt) either.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

merk posted:

The tough news is that I don't think divisiveness will be altered at all based on who gets elected president. Our two-party system feels really broken.

Pinterest Mom Favorite John Kasich is basically a peaceful golem in a suit

Any likely candidate will probably be that way, though

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tremendous Taste posted:

Pinterest Mom Favorite John Kasich is basically a peaceful golem in a suit

Any likely candidate will probably be that way, though

I think Kasich is the only Republican candidate who can beat Clinton. He will lose to Jeb in the primary and get sucked up as a VP candidate once everyone realizes his mass 'eh, he seems not bad' appeal.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Generally one of the things that really, seriously needs to be kept in mind is that policies have real effects on real people and not just numbers on a spreadsheet. When healthcare reform is being opposed and you hear people yelling about all that jazz, it's about numbers on a spreadsheet and not when my mom was diagnosed with cancer and her first goddamn words were "how will we pay". And it's pretty hard for me to separate out a sneering "if you can't pay for treatment you don't deserve treatment" from a personal attack on there.

I think some of Bernie's reforms are going to be in the same vein, albeit I do they are just. It is frustrating as gently caress to do the right thing and save and work toward stuff and have it turn out less than optimally in terms of taxation/benefits. But losing money is a hell of a lot better than losing a person or having a kid lose opportunity, or an unskilled adult losing hope. So yeah, go Bernie.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
We'd finish our coffees but still sit in the booth, holding our once-warm mugs. During lulls in the conversation we'd look outside at the rain. During one of these lulls we'd actually see a bolt of lightning just over the hill immediately followed by a loud crack of thunder, and we'd both gasp and jump slightly at the same time, then look at each other and laugh. We'd talk about how much we've been needing the rain, how awful this drought has been, and then share memories about rain from growing up. I'd mention how one of my first memories is Hurricane Andrew tearing across my parents' home in Miami, and he'd smile, saying how cool that was. Eventually though we'd both have to go, so we'd stand outside the shop under the awning to keep dry for as long as possible. It'd turn out he has to go north while I go south, so we hug, very quickly, we both don't want gossip as we're just friends, and then we'd part. I'd turn around after a few steps, just to see if he was looking back too, but he wouldn't be, he'd have his phone out texting. I'd shrug, pull up the collar on my coat, and continue walking home.

But I would never vote for him.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 14, 2015

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

We'd finish our coffees but still sit in the booth, holding our once-warm mugs. During lulls in the conversation we'd look outside at the rain. During one of these lulls we'd actually see a bolt of lightning just over the hill immediately followed by a loud crack of thunder, and we'd both gasp and jump slightly at the same time, then look at each other and laugh. We'd talk about how much we've been needing the rain, and then share memories about rain from growing up. I'd mention how one of my first memories is Hurricane Andrew tearing across my parents' home in Miami, and he'd smile, saying how cool that was. By the time we had finished with coffee we'd both have to go, so we'd stand outside the shop under the awning to keep dry for as long as possible. It'd turn out he has to go north while I go south, so we hug, very quickly, we both don't want gossip as we're just friends, and then we'd part. I'd turn around after a few steps, just to see if he was looking back too, but he wouldn't be, he'd have his phone out texting. I'd shrug, pull up the collar on my coat, and continue walking home.

But I would never vote for him.

I feel the same way, except I'd just get drunk at a bar and make out with O'Malley and give him the fade the next day.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

I feel the same way, except I'd just get drunk at a bar and make out with O'Malley and give him the fade the next day.

O'Malley as a person is actually kinda cool. He's in a band.

It's just unfortunate he's pretty gross on the issues. Though if he did become President I would make so many "Carcetti for President" jokes, so maybe it'd be worth it??

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Magnus Gallant posted:

You may want to look into it and reconsider.

He visited Ferguson and has been speaking at historically black colleges to reach out to an audience that other Republicans dont seem to care about.

This op-ed in Time indicates he shares the same concerns with #BlackLivesMatter.

He also has teaming up with Cory Booker and other democrats for criminal justice reform, such as authoring the REDEEM Act. He says, "The War on Drugs has had a disproportional affect on minorities and our inner cities. Our current system is broken and has trapped tens of thousands of young men and women in a cycle of poverty and incarceration," Sen. Paul said.

I think the criminal justice system and police in this country are horribly racist, and these policy meaures will make a positive difference.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Met posted:

Anyone interested in starting a village with me in Haven & Hearth on the 21st when the devs reset the world with a big update?

hey that looks fun-ish

like an ultima online flashback.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Lumpen posted:

You may want to look into it and reconsider.

He visited Ferguson and has been speaking at historically black colleges to reach out to an audience that other Republicans dont seem to care about.

This op-ed in Time indicates he shares the same concerns with #BlackLivesMatter.

He also has teaming up with Cory Booker and other democrats for criminal justice reform, such as authoring the REDEEM Act. He says, "The War on Drugs has had a disproportional affect on minorities and our inner cities. Our current system is broken and has trapped tens of thousands of young men and women in a cycle of poverty and incarceration," Sen. Paul said.

I think the criminal justice system and police in this country are horribly racist, and these policy meaures will make a positive difference.

Yeah I was thinking of Ron Paul's newsletters from the 70's.

I was mistaken about Rand Paul.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
RON PAUL 2016

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

HiipFire posted:

RON PAUL 2016

You would support a racist.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CapitalistPig posted:

hey that looks fun-ish

like an ultima online flashback.

Yeah, I'll bring it back up when the servers are up. It can be a little Mafia Crew Village.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Magnus Gallant posted:

You would support a racist.
RON PAUL 2016

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Rand Paul is a bad candidate.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

HiipFire posted:

RON PAUL 2016

You hurdy-gurdy

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Game plan: ironically advocate bad GOP candidate, then obviously vote for Hillary.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

BottleKnight posted:

Game plan: ironically advocate bad GOP candidate, then obviously vote for Hillary.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Lumpen posted:

You know, I think in our modern age we are advanced enough to end all taxation, and instead fund all government programs voluntarily with Kickstarter. Now that would be true democracy!

I bet Planned Parenthood would get easily funded, while things like foreign military intervention, bailouts of big banks, militarising police forces, and domestic NSA spying wouldn't do so well. If people don't care about something enough to choose to pay for it with their own money, it probably shouldn't get done with other people's money (or putting everyone in debt) either.

NO this is not how the world works and any program that actually does anything for poor people will be drastically underfunded because for real, if you no longer have to pay taxes, what percent of your income are you going to voluntarily give to Planned Parenthood, homeless shelters, literacy programs? How many people do you think are actually going to put that tax break back into their communities rather than buying a better car/improving their home/drinking more craft beer? It doesn't loving happen.

I've worked for nonprofits. I know how this poo poo works. Do away with taxation and you will lose all programs that don't directly affect their donor base. It is incredibly hard to motivate people to part with their money for a cause that will never affect their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

BottleKnight posted:

My mom has a Ben Carson sticker on her minivan