Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Leave no Totem Behind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
The falling geometry is especially nice.

Glad to see even though this is an addendum, they didn't skimp on the creativity.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The level select reminds me of the sephirot, though it can just as easily be something else:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sephirot

The lack of the music box strings when you move objects is really disconcerting.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

When guns are homosexual, only homosexuals will have guns.

SSNeoman posted:

The lack of the music box strings when you move objects is really disconcerting.

I thiiiiiiiink that was just for the one level?

Grimwit posted:

Glad to see even though this is an addendum, they didn't skimp on the creativity.

It's almost like they're casting off what limitations their were from the main storyline, and just going full abstract.

berryjon posted:

Leave no Totem Behind!

Semper Fly!

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Princess Ida really takes the biscuit in Chapter 12 as we go swimming where we shouldn't, stand where we can't, and find out that flowers are the safest way to travel.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Trenchfoot posted:

Princess Ida really takes the biscuit in Chapter 12 as we go swimming where we shouldn't, stand where we can't, and find out that flowers are the safest way to travel.

Didn't expect...
I can't even...
What in holy Hell is going on?!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Well, that's an interesting new mechanic. And it wasn't that hard to figure out those puzzles.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

And it wasn't that hard to figure out those puzzles.

No need to be snide. :colbert: But seriously, my occasional flailing aside, these puzzles are pretty straightforward, which is kind of why I have a hard time explaining this game to my hypothetical friends. Sure the label says "Puzzle game," but it's really less about challenge and more about, "Wouldn't it be cool if there were one-eyed blocks everywhere and we all flew around in flowers?" I want to say it's more of an experience than a game, but I also don't want to get punched.

Grimwit posted:

What in holy Hell is going on?!

Oh I don't know, something Mind-Beeeeeeendiiiiing?

Hmmmm?

Hmmmmmmmmmm?

But seriously, the DLC is a bit less worried about introducing mechanics/corpse exposition as it is with just raw experience.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

The unthinkable happens in Appendix iii, as Ida gets a horrible surprise, we encounter a machine run for and by Crow People, and a truly inordinate amount of revenge is sworn.

Trenchfoot fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 14, 2015

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Hope you guys are enjoying the thread!

Trenchfoot fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 14, 2015

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I am, I just watch the videos pretty passively when I'm tired though. :3:

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
That one was kind of cute. They do something you're not quite expecting and give you a reason to chase down this one, solitary Crow. NO ONE wears the magic, shape expelling cone hat except the Princess.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Trenchfoot posted:

The unthinkable happens in Appendix iii, as Ida gets a horrible surprise, we encounter a machine run for and by Crow People, and a truly inordinate amount of revenge is sworn.

That was more than a little adorable. More so than the rest of the game to this point.

Now I want a crow with a hat.
I'm gonna go get me a crow with a hat.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The only one who is capable of wearing The Hat other than the Princess is the Totem. No one else should have it upon them!

I like how the Princess always turns her head to look at that Crow when she's near to it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I liked the Princess' animation when she was trying to take her hat off. This was a really cool level in general yeah.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

SystemLogoff posted:

I just watch the videos pretty passively when I'm tired though. :3:

:3: My videos are a bedtime story for the internet.

SSNeoman posted:

I liked the Princess' animation when she was trying to take her hat off. This was a really cool level in general yeah.

Definitely one of my favorites so far.

Ben Kasack posted:

That one was kind of cute. They do something you're not quite expecting and give you a reason to chase down this one, solitary Crow. NO ONE wears the magic, shape expelling cone hat except the Princess.

NO ONE.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Things simmer down in Appendix iv, as we raise and lower a perfect cube of water, reluctantly rediscover our inner necromancer, and do the electronic equivalent of bonsai trimming.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

It's nice to see them pulling out classic non-euclidean architecture now and again.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That was nice.

The ghost explained the title 'Forgotten Shores'. This was a part of the Princess' earlier adventures, before she got her crown back. The princess had just forgotten about them, and this her telling her subjects about them. Makes a lot of sense.

I was wondering though, if after solving the final waterfall puzzle you could step into the stream. Looked like it should be possible...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was nice shoutout to Escher's Waterfall. I always liked that one myself :3:

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

That was nice shoutout to Escher's Waterfall. I always liked that one myself :3:

berryjon posted:

It's nice to see them pulling out classic non-euclidean architecture now and again.

There really was a sort of "back to basics" vibe about the whole thing. And say what you like about Escher, those waterfalls were the stuff.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The ghost explained the title 'Forgotten Shores'. This was a part of the Princess' earlier adventures, before she got her crown back. The princess had just forgotten about them, and this her telling her subjects about them. Makes a lot of sense.

Wow, that actually works pretty well. It also makes a few later things easier to stomach

Carbon dioxide posted:

I was wondering though, if after solving the final waterfall puzzle you could step into the stream. Looked like it should be possible...

Went back and tried; sorry, no dice.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Things take a wrong turn in Appendix v as we exploit old friendships, find something lost, and reflect on mortality

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Yo.. wha....

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo............

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

HOW COULD YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
You monster. You horrible, horrible monster.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

This game unexpectedly became dark. But we will finish this. We will not let the passing of our friend be in vain.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Noooooo! Our only friend! :(

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Princess Ida buckles down in Appendix vi, as Crows are interrogated fiercely, things are stood on that should not be, and a nervous breakdown is narrowly averted.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

If you could turn your screen around, some of those changes in orientation become easier to understand.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I think the level is based on this illusion.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ow, my head.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Well that was a hell of a thing to watch first thing in the morning. Ow.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game has officially stopped loving around wow

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

berryjon posted:

If you could turn your screen around, some of those changes in orientation become easier to understand.

That.... would really have helped. Yeah.

GeneralYeti posted:

Well that was a hell of a thing to watch first thing in the morning. Ow.

WELCOME TO MY ADORABLE NIGHTMARE

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think the level is based on this illusion.

There are definitely paralells; a couple Crows were sitting on protruding blocks like that.

SSNeoman posted:

This game has officially stopped loving around wow

Or it's only getting started. loving around.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Princess Ida messes with our heads in Appendix vii as she explores the Purple Room, tries to hit a Crow with the ocean, and bends time and space to plant a sapling.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Also, I had to switch computers, so sorry in advance about the weird drop in video quality. I'm hopefully going to record the last two updates this weekend, and I'll try to reupload six and seven after that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:3:est oubliette ever. That sapling is adorable.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Wait. You said *two* more videos? But I thought there was only 8 levels....

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What is an oubliette? And that level was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Mraagvpeine posted:

What is an oubliette?

A pit into which prisoners were thrown, to be "forgotten" (oublier ‎(“to forget”)).

• Locked thread