Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nice! So when are you going to do your $15000 engine rebuild to be competitive? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

NinjaTech posted:

I picked up a Spec Miata in Reno 2 weeks ago for $5k and raced it last weekend at The Ridge in Shelton, WA. It's a 1.6 that came with 2 sets of wheels with toyos on them. It also has a Sparco ADV seat, racepak G2X data logger with predictive lap timing (need to learn how to use the timer), SPX intake and some exhaust system that I can't remember who made it. I ran in ITA and only got last by .5s. I was also about 6s off the midpack SM pace. I think it was pretty good for a first outting and having my seat too far back. I'm extremely happy with the car. It's much easier in every way than my F500 car. I want to get it painted up and redo all the decals before next season. White is just boring and some of the decals are messed up at the very least.

Whoa. Any chance I can come out with you some time and drive some laps? I've been considering buying a track car specifically for The Ridge.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Phone posted:

Nice! So when are you going to do your $15000 engine rebuild to be competitive? :haw:

Ugh, stop making GBS threads on him and spec miata, he's having fun. You've got to spend a lot of money in any car to be at the front of the pack, unless you're the only one in class. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Larrymer posted:

Ugh, stop making GBS threads on him and spec miata, he's having fun. You've got to spend a lot of money in any car to be at the front of the pack, unless you're the only one in class. :v:

Oh nah, 5k is the perfect price point for a complete Spec Miata. The fields are huge and it's great from a spectators point of view.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Haha, it will be a long time before I get a pro motor built. So far I'm at the back of the pack in the 3 miata ITA group I was in but I'll be happy with being mid pack. The next race at PIR I think I should be closer to mid pack with having my seat in the correct position and SM7's in place of the used up Toyo RA-1s. So far I've had more fun with it than I had with my formula car.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Whoa. Any chance I can come out with you some time and drive some laps? I've been considering buying a track car specifically for The Ridge.

Sure. I told a couple friends they could run in ITA next season while I run in SM, they just need their SCCA licenses. I haven't worked out the best way to split costs yet though.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
What type of LSD should I get for my K20 swapped AW11 MR2? Power will be about 240hp/160ft-lbs and it will be a gutted, caged track rat that will be running Mosport, Calabogie and Shannonville. Some people have recommended helical and others have said that for RWD cars a 2-way clutch type will give the best power delivery coming out of corners. I don't have experience driving with either so I was hoping some of you guys could weigh in before I make my purchase.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TWSS posted:

What type of LSD should I get for my K20 swapped AW11 MR2? Power will be about 240hp/160ft-lbs and it will be a gutted, caged track rat that will be running Mosport, Calabogie and Shannonville. Some people have recommended helical and others have said that for RWD cars a 2-way clutch type will give the best power delivery coming out of corners. I don't have experience driving with either so I was hoping some of you guys could weigh in before I make my purchase.

My experience is more with diffs for drifting but IMO you won't notice the difference at that power point between a helical and 2-way clutch, I would get whatever is more affordable. As long as it's not a viscous LSD it'll do the job just fine.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

TWSS posted:

I don't have any advice at all, but are you planning on doing the MCO track days next year at 'bogie? If so shoot me a PM beforehand, I run all the MCO days.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

NinjaTech posted:

Sure. I told a couple friends they could run in ITA next season while I run in SM, they just need their SCCA licenses. I haven't worked out the best way to split costs yet though.

Let me know. You could do a lap in the Lambo but it probably wouldn't be very exciting.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

TWSS posted:

2-way means you will get just as strong of lockup action under braking and cornering speed differences. 1 way clutch means the limited slip only acts on power. There is an in-between diff, a 1.5 way, which slips slightly under no load but still provides some resistance to speed differences left to right. You can also adjust ramp angles and disc preload to make them act less abruptly. Having some lsd actuation under braking might be a good thing for that car, as it will help keep it pointed straight. However, if there is too much, you could end up with some scary handling characteristics on turn in.

A helical diff might still allow an excessive amount of inside wheelspin on corner exit, since the mechanism can only transfer a proportion of torque from the wheel with the least amount of traction. So in cases where you might be picking up a wheel they are a bad choice.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 15, 2015

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Comrade Flynn posted:

Let me know. You could do a lap in the Lambo but it probably wouldn't be very exciting.

Are you just looking to do track days? I pretty much only go to race events. They do have time trials at some of the events though.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

jamal posted:

2-way means you will get just as strong of lockup action under braking and cornering speed differences. 1 way clutch means the limited slip only acts on power. There is an in-between diff, a 1.5 way, which slips slightly under no load but still provides some resistance to speed differences left to right. You can also adjust ramp angles and disc preload to make them act less abruptly. Having some lsd actuation under braking might be a good thing for that car, as it will help keep it pointed straight. However, if there is too much, you could end up with some scary handling characteristics on turn in.

A helical diff might still allow an excessive amount of inside wheelspin on corner exit, since the mechanism can only transfer a proportion of torque from the wheel with the least amount of traction. So in cases where you might be picking up a wheel they are a bad choice.

Thanks for the info! Mfactory offers a 1.0/1.5 way and a 1.5/2.0 way so I guess I'll order the 1.0/1.5 way because that will give me the option of not having lockup under braking if testing shows that turns the car into a boomerang.

TrueChaos posted:

I don't have any advice at all, but are you planning on doing the MCO track days next year at 'bogie? If so shoot me a PM beforehand, I run all the MCO days.

That's the plan! You'll be able to follow along in my thread once parts start coming in as the only thing I've done in the last two months is mail away my harness, rip out the interior and purge mold.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I would send m-factory an email to see what they recommend before you buy one. I'm not familiar with them, but Cusco is very helpful when choosing a diff and setting it up.

Like I mentioned, it might be beneficial to have more lockup on decel. A place I worked supported a nasa TTR car that was super light and basically had a nascar drivetrain, and that diff had a lot of lockup action under braking. However I had very little to do with the initial setup of that car and found some serious issues with the rear suspension on one of the few occasions I worked on it. So that could have been part of the reason for the funky diff setup.

Edit:

Oh, hey found some pictures of that ridiculous thing. Here's me going for a ride in it, think that was 09. If anyone is familiar with big willow, we were doing casual laps in the 1:28 range. 170 down the front straight.

I got offered the position of full time crew chief, but that car and the driver were way too high maintenance. Here's a more recent picture, I wonder how Andy (guy pushing) liked that job.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 16, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fuuuuck so of course the first time it decides to rain in Germany in like a month is the day I'm at the ring. I didn't pussy out and did my two laps but holly poo poo it's terrifying and I totally did actually pussy out and went super slow.

The track was closed twice in the hour or so I spent there in total and I saw some dude in a BMW freshly crashed out in front of me. On the upside, there weren't that many cars on the track, I guess, so there were no lines anywhere.

Also there were touring car and drift championships going on at the same time. Went to see drift with a couple of Dutch guys in a turbo NA miata who had a friend "almost" race there (car not finished), but his friend did race in an badass E46.

Photos and onboard video coming later.

Edit; as ironic as rain on a track day

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 18, 2015

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Are any PNW goons going to the Portland triple regional next weekend? I'll be there for saturday and sunday in the spec miata.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

NinjaTech posted:

Haha, it will be a long time before I get a pro motor built.

Agreed. If you have 6 seconds to the mid-pack having 5 - 10 extra HP will shave some of that time off. However, you'll gain far more spending the 15k on loads of track time. Then went tenths start counting, care about stickers for qualifying and a built motor.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Aurune posted:

Agreed. If you have 6 seconds to the mid-pack having 5 - 10 extra HP will shave some of that time off. However, you'll gain far more spending the 15k on loads of track time. Then went tenths start counting, care about stickers for qualifying and a built motor.

I've got some 2 year old sticker tires I got for cheap and look to be in fine shape. I also just put on the 2 heat cycle old tires I got with the stickers in preparation for next weekend. They should be faster than my nearly used up Toyos. Even with those I know I'm already faster than some of the back marker cars based off of lap times. As long as I'm not last I'll be happy though.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Well I finally got my 944 spec car in running condition and tested it out at Waterford Hills. It was immediately apparent that I'm not used to racing suspensions, brakes and tires, and I left a lot of time out on the track from early braking and low corner speeds. I felt like I was getting the hang of it and was shaving time with each lap but my second run was cut short due to a dummy in an 86, and rain was rolling in so I jumped ship.

Still, video! 15 minutes for a pucker moment and recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jsvF31NMTw

Edit: The suspension definitely needs tuning. The shocks are in their loosest setting and the thing isn't even close to corner balanced. Also the delrin bushings in the rear most likely need some shaving and are too stiff. As a result the whole car is veeeery prone to oversteer.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 24, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What's the hot track day tire these days? RE-71R/RS3v2/Z1SS/AD08R?

I'm using 15x7.5 K1's so I'm leaning towards 205 width on my stripped 318iS.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
All of those are excellent, including the Rival S. It comes down to wear, pricing, and desired size; most aren't available in 225/45.

The RE71R and Rival S have ridiculous amounts of grip at the expense of significantly accelerated tire wear. Emilio from 949Racing figures 6 hours on the Rival S on a 160whp Miata doing flying laps. The Hankook seems like the sweet spot for price/performance.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I thought AD08R's werent considered track tyres? I've been impressed with mine, although tbf I did 5 days last year on normal summer tyres.

Another possibly stupid question, the powdercoated finish on my track wheels is starting to bubble in places. It's not a good idea to re-powdercoat a set of cast wheels?

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

track day bro! posted:

I thought AD08R's werent considered track tyres? I've been impressed with mine, although tbf I did 5 days last year on normal summer tyres.

Another possibly stupid question, the powdercoated finish on my track wheels is starting to bubble in places. It's not a good idea to re-powdercoat a set of cast wheels?

No, powder coating can weaken the wheel as you need to heat it up, and run the risk of ruining the annealing on the wheel if you don't use the correct temperature and duration, based on how the wheel was originally manufactured/annealed.

The real issue is that since you can't ever be sure how the wheel was originally made/annealed without being the one making the wheel, you can't be sure what temps are safe afterwards to anneal to and thereby permanently weakening the wheel.

Paint or plastidip is perfectly safe however.

After seeing a few wheel failures at the bmw cca club race/hpde this past weekend (2 different people had spokes on their track wheels just crack in half, 4 out of 5 spokes broke on 1 wheel at the same time, made it into the pits with just 1 spoke holding the whole thing together!) I'm taking wheels a heck of a lot more serious. The thing cracking and failing on track is one of the scariest things I can imagine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Yokohama AD08R is an extreme summer; we have a set on the SC300 because the price was right.

Don't powder coat wheels; metallurgy is hard.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
DTD is having a pre-labor day sale, AD08's have a $100 rebate and a double dip rebate of 60 if you also use a DTD credit card.

Which leads me to a set of 4 AD08's for 400 shipped. Pretty tempting.

TTR is OOS on the RS3v2 225/45/15's for the year and 195's are available but won't work for my car.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

Dave Inc. posted:

Well I finally got my 944 spec car in running condition and tested it out at Waterford Hills. It was immediately apparent that I'm not used to racing suspensions, brakes and tires, and I left a lot of time out on the track from early braking and low corner speeds. I felt like I was getting the hang of it and was shaving time with each lap but my second run was cut short due to a dummy in an 86, and rain was rolling in so I jumped ship.

Edit: The suspension definitely needs tuning. The shocks are in their loosest setting and the thing isn't even close to corner balanced. Also the delrin bushings in the rear most likely need some shaving and are too stiff. As a result the whole car is veeeery prone to oversteer.

Waterford is getting ROUGH. I hope they get the funds together for a repave. The OTD doesn't look too crowded at all for once.

I broke a front endlink on my 350Z there during our charity event a couple weeks ago. Talk about oversteer. The rear wanted to step out before the apex in the swamp every drat lap and I don't think I made one trip through the hairpin before the hill without sliding.

If there are any folks local to the Michigan tracks (Gingerman, Grattan, Waterford Hills, and Mid-Ohio) 3balls Racing is auctioning off a lifetime pass for charity. Right now the bid is $2000... a total steal considering this year we ran 4 Grattan weekends, 1 Gingerman weekend, 1 day at Mid-Ohio, and a weekend at Calabogie. Bidding is at the 3balls website. The proceeds from the auction will go to Karmanos Cancer Institute for research of a topical melanoma treatment for folks who can't tolerate normal chemotherapy.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

crazzy posted:

After seeing a few wheel failures at the bmw cca club race/hpde this past weekend (2 different people had spokes on their track wheels just crack in half, 4 out of 5 spokes broke on 1 wheel at the same time, made it into the pits with just 1 spoke holding the whole thing together!) I'm taking wheels a heck of a lot more serious. The thing cracking and failing on track is one of the scariest things I can imagine.

Were these stock wheels or aftermarket? The only wheel failure I've seen personally was on a Mustang, and I'm not sure it was stock. Mustang guys seem to have no qualms running super cheap GT500 and Cobra knockoffs that I am extremely leary of.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
lone star le mans is coming up soon :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1eMkVih_dY&hd=1

also pretty cool promo video from nismo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbdI71CwNak

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Were these stock wheels or aftermarket? The only wheel failure I've seen personally was on a Mustang, and I'm not sure it was stock. Mustang guys seem to have no qualms running super cheap GT500 and Cobra knockoffs that I am extremely leary of.

Aftermarket, had been running it for 5 years, and the stress of r-comps finally caught up to it and it snapped. Wheels are stressed parts, need to be replaced every few years like harnesses.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Wheels are a consumable if you track a lot and should be inspected every track day. High heat and high forces means something will fail eventually.
My SSR comps cracked after many many track days (previous owner did time attack stuff plus me). I discovered them after I believe I did a few autox runs. The difference is that the SSRs were well made enough that one of 5 spokes being cracked didn't cause a failue quickly enough to nit be discovered. You don't see OEM or high end failures because they get caught at tech or when changing tires/pads.
Cheap wheels may not fail as gracefully. Though cheap wheel owners are probably more likely to fudge thier techs too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

This happened to a pretty well put together race car:

And not from an off/sudden impact, just inside curbing or something from my understanding. I think forgestars, so not a super-cheap knockoff wheel but also not bbs or volks or something.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

reddit liker posted:

lone star le mans is coming up soon :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1eMkVih_dY&hd=1

also pretty cool promo video from nismo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbdI71CwNak

That's pretty loving cheeky of Nissan given they've pulled out for the rest of the year. But par for the course with Darren Cox, who seems to be the definition of all mouth and no trousers.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

jamal posted:

This happened to a pretty well put together race car:

And not from an off/sudden impact, just inside curbing or something from my understanding. I think forgestars, so not a super-cheap knockoff wheel but also not bbs or volks or something.

Crappers. Was considering the F14 as I saw some other track cars using them. Next option up for custom size and offset is CCW. The Corsair series is ~$800/wheel though.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
My F14s have been pretty reliable on my S2000, granted, it's 2900lbs with driver and I'm using a 40 series tire. BUT, I actually drove off the inside of a corner on track and hit the start of the curbing, hard enough to coilbind my front shock and collapse the lower spring perch. Wheel was just fine though!

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

nollij posted:

Crappers. Was considering the F14 as I saw some other track cars using them. Next option up for custom size and offset is CCW. The Corsair series is ~$800/wheel though.

I see nothing special about forgestar wheels, they are cast/flow formed. Forge in the name and not selling actually forged wheels doesn't exactly sit right with me.

CCW's look to be cnc milled from Alcoa blanks, nothing special there either.

Be wary of any designs that are not sold in either Japan or Germany or another country that does mandatory wheel certification. Certification doesn't necessarily mean the wheel will survive loads of track time, but it will certify that the design is sound at least, and shouldn't be an immediate death trap.

People seem to really like the Apex wheels, lots of folks track them in the bmw cca clubs on r comps with no issues that I've seen. Not legal for spec class club racing (wider than stock wheel size) unlimited guys seem to go with something lighter/more exotic in their classes, but the other guys in the HPDE's don't seem to have any issues.

crazzy fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 30, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

We've been running kosei k1 for the past several years. Never had one break other than one that was slammed into a wall at speed. Cheap and light so no complaints from us.

Day two at Gingerman with World Racing League. We took first in gp2 yesterday thanks to rain.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

NitroSpazzz posted:

We've been running kosei k1 for the past several years. Never had one break other than one that was slammed into a wall at speed. Cheap and light so no complaints from us.

Day two at Gingerman with World Racing League. We took first in gp2 yesterday thanks to rain.

Yep, kosei is extremely popular with the bmw cca clubs, seems to fail a lot less than the d-force wheels which have had some bad batches and rampant failures.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

crazzy posted:

I see nothing special about forgestar wheels, they are cast/flow formed. Forge in the name and not selling actually forged wheels doesn't exactly sit right with me.

CCW's look to be cnc milled from Alcoa blanks, nothing special there either.

Be wary of any designs that are not sold in either Japan or Germany or another country that does mandatory wheel certification. Certification doesn't necessarily mean the wheel will survive loads of track time, but it will certify that the design is sound at least, and shouldn't be an immediate death trap.

People seem to really like the Apex wheels, lots of folks track them in the bmw cca clubs on r comps with no issues that I've seen. Not legal for spec class club racing (wider than stock wheel size) unlimited guys seem to go with something lighter/more exotic in their classes, but the other guys in the HPDE's don't seem to have any issues.

Apex wheels only go up to 10.5" wide and aren't custom offset.

3-piece wheels provide a lot of options for offsets. There are lots of 3-piece wheel manufacturers. Most expensive/nice being forgestar.

CCW Corsair series seems to quite popular with people who track their car.

I would like an 18x11.5 or 18x12 wheel with an offset in the +32-34 range that is affordable enough to buy multiple sets without going into the poor house. They also need to be strong enough to not murder whoever is driving the car on track.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

nollij posted:

Apex wheels only go up to 10.5" wide and aren't custom offset.

3-piece wheels provide a lot of options for offsets. There are lots of 3-piece wheel manufacturers. Most expensive/nice being forgestar.

CCW Corsair series seems to quite popular with people who track their car.

I would like an 18x11.5 or 18x12 wheel with an offset in the +32-34 range that is affordable enough to buy multiple sets without going into the poor house. They also need to be strong enough to not murder whoever is driving the car on track.

Holy crap that is some seriously wide wheels/tires.

The apex recommendation is for BMW's only, as apex is targeting custom bmw fitments.

What car are you trying to get wheels for, a corvette/911/viper? Not that many other cars will take a 12" wide wheel in the rear, not to mention the fronts.

I'd think tires will bankrupt you faster than the wheels at that size also, not to mention selection is going to be extremely limited.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

crazzy posted:

Holy crap that is some seriously wide wheels/tires.

The apex recommendation is for BMW's only, as apex is targeting custom bmw fitments.

What car are you trying to get wheels for, a corvette/911/viper? Not that many other cars will take a 12" wide wheel in the rear, not to mention the fronts.

I'd think tires will bankrupt you faster than the wheels at that size also, not to mention selection is going to be extremely limited.

Evo 9 with widebody

315/320 wide with up to 680 diameter is the goal and what the front fenders have been cut to.

Discontinued tires from Hoosier for tooling around are cheap enough. https://www.hoosiertire.com/discontinuedtires.htm

For competition, better make sure you are going to win if you throw on A7s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

295 on a 10.5 is probably all you need, and makes finding reasonably priced wheels easier. We experimented with 315s and didn't go any faster. Enkei NT03 for example comes in 18x10.5 for 350 a wheel, although you will probably need spacers to get them out far enough since they're +30.

Although now I see that wide conti slicks are really cheap. And those CCWs are pretty durable.

This comes in 18x11 +16 and is under 600:
http://enkei.com/shop/racingrevolution/rs05rr/

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 31, 2015