Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Mister Sinewave posted:

I had a diode between the power supply output and the battery's + terminal so that the battery can never "charge" the power supply (I don't want current trying to flow backwards into the power supply when it's off but the battery is charged, or the battery is a higher voltage than the power supply can put out at the moment or whatever)
ALSO
I was using milliamps and <10V in my system :haw:

I have no idea what kind of foulness you're courting if you scale that idea up to car battery level stuff.
this is one way to do it, called oring diodes. but if this thing takes too much power for a single pc psu then it's at least 1500w, or 125a at 12v, so even a low-forward-bias diode could put out dozens of watts of heat. the more efficient more complicated way is oring fets.

echi, is ebay really not coming up with anything like server power supplies at the level you need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

Triglav posted:

are you gettin a cool rack chassis or are you building a tower or what. i wanna turn my spare closet into a baby datacenter cuz i have too much time

naw, not making a baby data center. this is my first server so it's most likely going to be in a tower that lives in the garage in the meantime. if the entire thing goes successfully, i'll make a more dedicated machine for vm's for network pentesting.

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

on another note - i am thinking of getting some hands on stuff for raspberry pi but i can't find myself a decent project that's useful to work on. i've been at the raspberry pi thread but has come up with moot. anyone here worked on a raspberry pi that did something OUTSIDE of a gameboy/emulator system or home automation/security system?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
so if i want to program or debug an attiny261a i have to buy an atatmel-ice and run debugwire right?

annoying mcu lack of feature: can't run both timers off a low speed external crystal while clocking the core and SPI off the internal RC osc as far as i can tell

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fractale posted:

on another note - i am thinking of getting some hands on stuff for raspberry pi but i can't find myself a decent project that's useful to work on. i've been at the raspberry pi thread but has come up with moot. anyone here worked on a raspberry pi that did something OUTSIDE of a gameboy/emulator system or home automation/security system?

i turned my arduino into an MFD for KSP if that helps

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Fractale posted:

a computer that monitors temperature and humidity in your garage and orders new parts for your server when conditions are bad

I wanted to make something clever since I first saw the yellow drum machine video. took me like a year before I had a decent enough idea to start ordering parts. now that idea is like #4 on my list because I came up with others that were less ambitious but still interesting enough.

dumb idea from this morning: a modern sundial with a prehensile arm that adjusts to project a shadow of hour and minute hands on a circle at its base.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

longview posted:

so if i want to program or debug an attiny261a i have to buy an atatmel-ice and run debugwire right?

annoying mcu lack of feature: can't run both timers off a low speed external crystal while clocking the core and SPI off the internal RC osc as far as i can tell

does adafruit's USBtinyISP work with those?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

echinopsis posted:

hey bros I'll just promise to take that poo poo onto the lawn before I turn it on: it would be powering subs producing bass too poweful for inside the house eitherway

these guys are pretty much doing what you're trying to do except they use refurb server psus http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

i think you'd be able to get by with one 600-1000w server psu and a car battery in parallel. just don't do two switching psu's in parallel

Death Chicken
Aug 15, 2015
Been working on this:

It looks like dots on a grid, but I am trying to develop a multi-scale simulation platform that is engineered that can allow me to design complex simulations of all sorts of things. In this case I am trying to simulate neurons . The goal is to allow for simulations that depend on a variety of algorithms that need to work together towards a purpose. Each one of those dots on the grid is supposedly a neuron. It is far from complete, but I am plodding along steadily.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Death Chicken posted:

Been working on this:

It looks like dots on a grid, but I am trying to develop a multi-scale simulation platform that is engineered that can allow me to design complex simulations of all sorts of things. In this case I am trying to simulate neurons . The goal is to allow for simulations that depend on a variety of algorithms that need to work together towards a purpose. Each one of those dots on the grid is supposedly a neuron. It is far from complete, but I am plodding along steadily.

ooh mr super awesome is not dead, he's back!

Death Chicken
Aug 15, 2015

ChiralCondensate posted:

I'm a chicken, but thanks!
I have also been working on a game for my friend.

Death Chicken fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 15, 2015

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Doc Block posted:

does adafruit's USBtinyISP work with those?

looks like it might, turns out DW is a debug interface only and i need an SPI programmer as well to make it actually useful.

but figuring out how to actually wire the SPI interface is a pain in the rear end, i think i've got it down by wiring it to the MOSI, MISO and SCL lines on the MCU, but there's also two sets of SPI outputs (one seems to be a programming interface and the other is a USI 3/4-wire interface)

their app note on SPI flashing also lists series resistors to isolate the SPI from other slave devices that might be active during programming, but no values are given, it doesn't matter since i can use the USI SPIs for my slave device but this is annoying

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok bros Thabks: I guess I won't be producing maximum bass every second and a car battery should smooth the load :)
it's a dual voice coil sub running at 2 ohm and the amp is a decent mother fucker: the car it lived in has ended it's life

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

ChiralCondensate posted:

I miss that guy, he should come back here

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Glorgnole posted:

I miss that guy, he should come back here

that would be impressive since he's dead

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

ChiralCondensate posted:

that would be impressive since he's dead

Wait, how/when did he die?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that dude owned but everyone here kept telling him he was crazy eventually he believed it

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 384 days!
i saw this & thought of u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgfgeb6TRjQ

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

if the truck is a rockin
don't play this game

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
im coding an editor so i can make a game so i can make game assets, which is how this got started —scope crope— i couldn't really program at the beginning of this project and had never touched javascript; i did make a little game in flash ten years ago that's about it. so now im having fun learning to program and solving problems and im calling it recreational coding and i've painted about three things since i started so good job me coming up with a thing to make game art for and getting lost in code

the game is 2d and it's all webgl (editor too) and im working with the incredibly cool phaser and here are a few of the things it does so far

- every object can have its own parallax value (i feel like uli writing this)
- creates scenery (ie colliders, textured meshes) from control polygons with automatic skinning and adjustable spline subdivision http://i.imgur.com/Pk1xUAO.gif
- but it can also do just regular sprites and stuff
- uses dragonbones character animations (authorable in flash)
- lighting with ambience + point lights + polygonal lights and a kind of painterly specular/normal hybrid that's difficult to explain because i don't have the vocabulary but it can look like a bunch of things and i like it
- the editor is pretty free-form and organic with only minimal GUI, deliberately so because im hoping that that will help me make a less technical or grid-based game
- im using dat.GUI to handle what little parameter-twiddling GUI there is which in retrospect may have been a little too simplistic for what it turns out i may need but on the other hand it's been great at forcing me to come up with more intuitive solutions for things it can't do with it and those have been good so far and also interesting problems
- one of the most difficult things so far has actually been setting up the whole camera, zoom, focus, pan, parallaxing code but since i've sorted that out it's been a pleasure to work with so im fairly proud of that

here's an ingame gif with placeholder art that i made: http://gfycat.com/BraveIllfatedElephant
i know that i will eventually have to rewrite the whole move/collision separation code but im actually looking forward to that

this is a moodier shot with a few lights, a few objects at different parallax levels and some fake fog. you can kinda see the way the specular lighting works in the legs of the figure, the way it makes them appear shiny. again all the art is temporary (the grass texture is from rayman but i made the rest): http://gfycat.com/BleakSimilarInvisiblerail excuse the choppy scrolling, i was using the mouse to move the camera around the world

so yeah thats my project!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Nice!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
welp now i've found a bunch of nixie tubes

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
it's going to be a pain to interface with a modern uC at logic levels right ?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

not too bad, as long as you can supply ~180V the actual switching is pretty easy. there are ttl chips made specially for it (7441,7441A,74141) but they tend to sell for silly ebay prices.

check this out:

https://web.jfet.org/nixie-1/NixieTransistors.pdf

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

saved, thanks

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
why do folks get so horny for nixies

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
nixies are cool and all, but pretty inconvenient to use. good thing about them is the surprisingly long life spam (100k hours typical for the siemens tubes in my HF transmitter)

IV-11 VFD tubes are cooler IMO, great visibility and a more convenient drive voltage

this summer i got a box with about 100 LED numitron replacement "tubes", routed the PCB last weekend to make a simple clock with them using the timecode/PPS output on my GPS timing receiver as a time source

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

longview posted:

nixies are cool and all, but pretty inconvenient to use. good thing about them is the surprisingly long life spam (100k hours typical for the siemens tubes in my HF transmitter)

IV-11 VFD tubes are cooler IMO, great visibility and a more convenient drive voltage

this summer i got a box with about 100 LED numitron replacement "tubes", routed the PCB last weekend to make a simple clock with them using the timecode/PPS output on my GPS timing receiver as a time source

how much power does that use

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Death Chicken posted:

Been working on this:

minesweeper; sweet!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ChiralCondensate posted:

why do folks get so horny for nixies

because their cool

so are vfds

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

ChiralCondensate posted:

how much power does that use

runs off 5V, somewhere between 2-5W total

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Bloody posted:

because their cool

so are vfds

vfds nuts

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

the next president of the arrl

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

threw together a naive little maze generator last night, more to come

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mido posted:

threw together a naive little maze generator last night, more to come

nice. why is it all weirdly blurry tho?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

akadajet posted:

nice. why is it all weirdly blurry tho?

i zoomed the ortho camera out by a factor of like 4 since those are 32x32 pixel tiles individually, just some garbage for testing. the scaling mode is still bilinear or something, wasn't concerned about it :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sick bro wanna go hunting pedos in day maze

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMo6kGV7LsI

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna be in the Red Bull Soap Box Derby this saturday. I bought too much dollar tree foam board and am working on the aesthetic part of the vehicle now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~
https://vine.co/v/eD3TP1tPYvF so i was going to make a super simple quick little game with a cyberpunk aesthetic. then i decided to use triangular pixels because it'd look cool. long story short I have to reimplement opengl in software now