Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Was hoping that was the show where Howard left early because he thought Al Quaeda released poison gas in New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Who played Beet's son in studio? Voice sounds very familiar.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Same guy who does Jeff's lump.

There's been some new hires who've made it on the air recently. I know they talk to that Mehmet guy about his apartment in Harlem every once in a while.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Somebody said the Charlie Sheen caller was Sour Shoes, but I can't believe he would keep character that well. Anyone know who Charlie is?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Listening to the roll call stuff and I'm blown away at how dumb literally every staff member except Lisa sounds. They all live in a hilarious bubble world and it's really funny to see them, a group of the whitest people you can imagine, struggle to come to terms with stuff black radio did. Listening to Jason Kaplan and Jon Hein and Booey, 3 of the whitest people on the planet, struggle with the idea that this existed and wasn't some prerecorded bit on a tiny niche station is fascinating.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

Listening to the roll call stuff and I'm blown away at how dumb literally every staff member except Lisa sounds. They all live in a hilarious bubble world and it's really funny to see them, a group of the whitest people you can imagine, struggle to come to terms with stuff black radio did. Listening to Jason Kaplan and Jon Hein and Booey, 3 of the whitest people on the planet, struggle with the idea that this existed and wasn't some prerecorded bit on a tiny niche station is fascinating.

Its the height of arrogance. I havent heard of it so it must not exist.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

moot the hopple posted:

Same guy who does Jeff's lump.

There's been some new hires who've made it on the air recently. I know they talk to that Mehmet guy about his apartment in Harlem every once in a while.

Jeff seems to think it's Eric Andre, but it's not. You can see him on one of the Howard Stern Youtube/Facebook videos when he's playing with Beetlejuice in the hallway after his latest interview. Also the same guy who called in as Cancer when Robin returned.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Jeff should be so happy because he's no longer Jeff the Bore now that he has a foil to play off of. I watched one of his Periscopes earlier and it was absolute poo poo without anything going on so I'm leaving it to poor JD or Shuli to trawl through for rare good stuff for the actual Stern show.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

BurtLington posted:

Jeff seems to think it's Eric Andre, but it's not. You can see him on one of the Howard Stern Youtube/Facebook videos when he's playing with Beetlejuice in the hallway after his latest interview. Also the same guy who called in as Cancer when Robin returned.

That all sounds about right. I wonder why they are deliberately hiding him like that, it's pretty much the opposite treatment for any other staff member.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Sometimes I think their bubble world is a put on because no one wants to admit they have heard of something before, or could see people doing that, or whatever. I remember when Richard was talking about seeing people dip pizza in ranch dressing at a Pizza Hut the entire room acted like it was unheard of. How do you not know people do that? I probably know 10 people who do that. I can understand Howard not knowing, he is a guy who had 3 different meals at his wedding but they were all fish, but fat rear end Fast Food "Expert" Jon Hein...it isn't possible.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I had literally never heard of that before Richard's story about the fat ladies at the Pizza Hut buffet. Never. Sounds loving gross to me, specially given the low quality of fast-food ranch.

It might be a regional thing: I'm from the Boston area and my girlfriend claims to have seen ranch on pizza in the midwest.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

I had literally never heard of that before Richard's story about the fat ladies at the Pizza Hut buffet. Never. Sounds loving gross to me, specially given the low quality of fast-food ranch.

It might be a regional thing: I'm from the Boston area and my girlfriend claims to have seen ranch on pizza in the midwest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8YFVNdWgRg

Now that is how you do youtube annotations correctly.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

I live in the Midwest and I've never heard of that.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Dipping sauce is a huge thing in Ontario because our pizza is so bad. I'm pretty sure ranch is often one of the options. I never heard of dipping pizza crust in sauces until I moved here. It wasn't a thing in Quebec and I worked in my dads pizza restaurant.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
You get a pizza but you need the illusion of health so you make a salad to go with and and all you have is some ranch dressing because you're like 15 and what other dressing would you have (oil and water? vinaigrette? please howard) then you have some crust left over and you realize you can dip some in the ranch and it tastes better. It's not that crazy a story.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

BobbyK posted:

You get a pizza but you need the illusion of health so you make a salad to go with and and all you have is some ranch dressing because you're like 15 and what other dressing would you have (oil and water? vinaigrette? please howard) then you have some crust left over and you realize you can dip some in the ranch and it tastes better. It's not that crazy a story.

I've dipped pizza crust in ranch before because I'm a guy with little shame when it comes to food. But I've never drenched my pizza in it. Were the people in Richard's story just putting ladles full of ranch on their plates?

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
I live in the Midwest and I think ranch with pizza is going a bit overboard, but c'mon -- Papa John's is national and as far as I'm aware they give you a little tub of ranch with every pizza. The "bubble world" stuff annoys me too, but what are ya gonna do. They can make fun of Richard all they want but his spirit is unflappable and they always come off as elitist and out-of-touch.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I love when Howard gets irrationally angry that people eat things because they taste good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

AxeManiac posted:

I love when Howard gets irrationally angry that people eat things because they taste good.

Yeah, I get how he trashes fast food, when discussing Jon Hein and/or JD, but he really will attack any food that's not out of Nobu (or however you spell it) or some other fancy place. Sorry that not everyone can spend 800 million GRAAAAAND each time they dine.

EngineerJoe posted:

Dipping sauce is a huge thing in Ontario because our pizza is so bad. I'm pretty sure ranch is often one of the options. I never heard of dipping pizza crust in sauces until I moved here. It wasn't a thing in Quebec and I worked in my dads pizza restaurant.

I want to say that I've heard of that, but I can't remember a specific example. Other Quebecisms, as my wife is telling me right now (she's from here, I've only been here for 2 years now) is spreading margarine on pizza crust right before you eat it, and, of course, mayonnaise on fries (ew). (EDIT: Also, EngineerJoe, you didn't work at your dad's pizza restaurant... you worked at his pitsa-ria).

Not food-related, but my son's daycare said that they needed us to buy him splash pants for the fall/spring. I immediately knew what they were, but my wife (and other people in QC I asked) had no clue what I was talking about. Anyone else mystified as to what splash pants are? I was kind of blown away that they're apparently not a big thing here in Quebec.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I've never heard of splash pants. Also I like buttering my crust and mayo with fries. :(

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Riosan posted:

I've dipped pizza crust in ranch before because I'm a guy with little shame when it comes to food. But I've never drenched my pizza in it. Were the people in Richard's story just putting ladles full of ranch on their plates?

Word, that is a whole other level and disgusting.

There were two times I can remember when Artie had the McGriddle and the Burger King croissant sandwich and Howard couldn't stop talking about how good they look. Looking back I kind of wonder if they were just commercials.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Arby's curly fries and horsey sauce are my shame meal

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

BobbyK posted:

Word, that is a whole other level and disgusting.

There were two times I can remember when Artie had the McGriddle and the Burger King croissant sandwich and Howard couldn't stop talking about how good they look. Looking back I kind of wonder if they were just commercials.

McGriddle saga is a great bit, one of the things I go back and listen to every so often.

We miss you Artie, you fat gently caress

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Keep in mind the women in Richard's story weren't dipping their pizza crust in dressing, they were pouring ranch onto pizza slices like normal people do on salad.

Zoben posted:

Papa John's is national and as far as I'm aware they give you a little tub of ranch with every pizza.

They give you a little thing of garlic butter, not ranch dressing.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Former Human posted:

They give you a little thing of garlic butter, not ranch dressing.

Which is even worse than ranch. I worked at a pitser-ia a few years ago, and we had this massive tub of garlic butter that we would pour into little cups whenever it was requested. By itself, it's basically pure fat, and it's pretty much the most disgusting thing imaginable.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I can't believe there are really people who have never heard of dipping pizza in ranch (to be clear I was mostly talking about crust). I thought that was just the Stern crew.

What is next, serving 3 different types of fish at a wedding is normal? My mind is melting

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I can't remember if it was in the US or Canada but I remember one pizza place offering "seasoning packs" so you could shake out ranch flavoring flakes over your order.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

It's kind of like when he gets upset that whatever out of work actress falls in love with her dance pro on dancing with the stars. Why would she date that guy he doesn't make any money?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Half the pizza places in the midwest give you a cup of ranch to dip the crusts in. It's hardly weird.

It's only weird to native New Yorkers (or, everyone on the staff) because

a) NYC Natives tend to suffer from a group mental illness where they're actually proud of never having been west or south of Philadelphia in their lives, why would they need to, NYC has everything!!
and
b) every pizza in New York comes with its own, built-in puddle of grease so no one needs ranch.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Nah, not commercials, it's just what it sounds like when you take a neurotic freak who purposefully starves himself of any indulgences in life and introduce him to things like fast food. He desperately wants to eat it but his brain tells him one burger or sandwich will make him gain 3 pounds(the horror!) and take 5 months to work off and he goes back to being miserable.

It's a total bubble world on that show. Some people live in it by choice, others like Gary and Fred just know not to rock the boat because disagreeing with Howard on these "I live my life the proper way anything else is WRONG" rants is a surefire way to earn his ire for the next 30-60 minutes.

Plus, if we're being totally honest here it seems 100% like someone from NYC to be a food snob. It's not even about eating at Nobu or Daniel or whatever it's just if there's even a hint of a chain behind the food or it somehow being mass produced instead of handmade by the disgusting 73 year old Italian man who you know drat well never washes his hands after using the bathroom and chain smokes while preparing the food then it's automatically an inferior meal that shouldn't dare grace their sensitive palettes. Same goes for other foodie cities like Austin, LA, San Fran, etc. people just have that air about them when they live there long enough and you can just see the douche leaking out of them when you start talking about food.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

Half the pizza places in the midwest give you a cup of ranch to dip the crusts in. It's hardly weird.

a) NYC Natives tend to suffer from a group mental illness where they're actually proud of never having been west or south of Philadelphia in their lives, why would they need to, NYC has everything!!
and
b) every pizza in New York comes with its own, built-in puddle of grease so no one needs ranch.

It's just kind of white trashy, tastes good tho

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zoben posted:

I live in the Midwest and I think ranch with pizza is going a bit overboard, but c'mon -- Papa John's is national and as far as I'm aware they give you a little tub of ranch with every pizza.

I'm in Minneapolis and all Papa John's gives out with pizza is a tub of the garlic butter stuff. You just have a loving weird local Papa John's and anyone who dips pizza in ranch is a weirdo.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

It's dipping fatty cheesy grease sticks into more greasy fatty creamyness..its good.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Ether Frenzy posted:

Toppers even has two kinds of ranch. Also chocolate and vanilla frosting, and other weird stuff.

https://toppers.com/Menu/More/Dippin-Sauce

Every time I've been in there the guy at the register was totally stoned, so they definitely cater to people with the munchies. If you're high enough you can order a pizza of thousand island dressing as sauce with tater tots and macaroni and cheese as toppings. Howard would probably get sick just reading the menu.

The buffalo sauce there is amazing. gently caress everyone.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Howard is right, you're all disgusting.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Here's a man who can appreciate fatty chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdQjzj5Jv1A

Overall segment is kind of meh though, much like most of the things I've seen from the Nick & Artie/The Artie Lange Show. Hope the dude's podcast is a better fit.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Whatever you guys are describing with dipping sauces and whatnot isn't pizza. It's Dominos or its Papa Johns, but it's not pizza. :colbert:

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Crotch Bat posted:

Plus, if we're being totally honest here it seems 100% like someone from NYC to be a food snob. It's not even about eating at Nobu or Daniel or whatever it's just if there's even a hint of a chain behind the food or it somehow being mass produced instead of handmade by the disgusting 73 year old Italian man who you know drat well never washes his hands after using the bathroom and chain smokes while preparing the food then it's automatically an inferior meal that shouldn't dare grace their sensitive palettes.
Oh please. It's not food snobbery. It's just that the 80 million local pizzerias in NYC don't serve ranch dressing with a slice. So it's weird to us. That's all. Papa Johns may do that with every pizza, but AFAIK they really haven't been in NYC until pretty recently. Also don't confuse the everyday 99 cent slice and dirty water hotdog eating New Yorkers from the shut in millionaires who don't know how subways and pharmacies work. The core crew of this show is pretty far from reality.

My favorite example of this was an old fight week clip where Howard was saying how getting a house in the Hamptons isn't for him (ha) and people were trying to convince him to go. Ralph of all people chimed in to say how the city is empty on weekends because "everyone" goes to the Hamptons. :rolleyes:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ribsauce posted:

I can't believe there are really people who have never heard of dipping pizza in ranch (to be clear I was mostly talking about crust). I thought that was just the Stern crew.

What is next, serving 3 different types of fish at a wedding is normal? My mind is melting

I thought ranch dressing on pizza/dipping pizza in ranch was just some made-up goon stereotype. I am a native NYCer though.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I've been to six different countries, and up & down the east coast of the US, but never encountered ranch dressing for pizza somehow.

quote:

and

100% true (and awesome).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Pizza in New York is better, simple fact. It's the water, most people think. (Hence why bagels are better, too.)

The fast food crap that most people are talking about in this thread isn't pizza at all, let's be real here.

Not a New Yorker, btw.