Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Neo Rasa posted:

I still think if Jessie had the hand on her and handed ( :haw: ) it back to Toecutter he and the gang would have just rolled out.

I'm 100% sure that's how the toecutter would have responded and it's glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Neo Rasa posted:

I still think if Jessie had the hand on hand and handed ( :haw: ) it back to Toecutter he and the gang would have just rolled out.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

This film is the dogs bollocks m8

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, May (the old woman) is almost like a predecessor to the Vuvalini or Miss Giddy. She's 63 and still intimidates the Toecutter and his entire gang into a shed with a shotgun. They escape and chase her and Max's family, but she still takes a shot to try and stop them. Stone cold killer.

I'd probably be more impressed if May actually put one into Toecutter and saved everyone a bunch of trouble.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Not sure if this was posted yet:

George Miller’s first draft was this electro-board printout, dated 15/3/99.

Not sure if I like Gynotopia or Vuvalini better. The latter is an extra L away from utter hilarity.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm seriously impressed by how much of the current film was set in stone since the very first draft. Right down to what cars he wanted in certain scenes.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Now that I own it, I can't stop watching it. I miss Bruce Spence, though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thats awesome. Especially since even in its earliest forum, its still just a storyboard and not a traditional script. The movie has literally always been Show, don't Tell.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It looks like the Rotoraiders being removed from the swamp is the only major change to the story. Other than that, the basic plot and many of the details have been identical from day one. What we saw in May was really Miller's vision, not made by committee or meddled with or hacked up by a studio. That makes it an incredibly rare specimen in modern blockbusters, to say nothing of the raw artistic merit it has.

It looks like Furiosa was just "WW" for the first draft. Warrior Woman?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
She was called Preatorian in the Peter Pound concept art from around the same time. I bet she went through a few names before they settled on Furiosa, which, by the way, is best said the same way the Bullet Farmer says it: "FYOO-RIO-SAAAAH"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I would give it zero stars if I could. This movie is so overhyped it's ridiculous. Basically it is the entire last road chase of Road Warrior. And that's it. No plot. No character development. No backstory. Nothing redeeming. Waste of my time. 0/10 wouldn't watch again even if you had a knife at my neck.

Friend pointed out some reviews on Googleplay. These are hilarious.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think that people who say there's no character development don't notice that Nux is in the movie. While a lot of the character details and development is pretty subtle, Nux is like, a giant textbook character development that is central to the plot.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Snak posted:

I think that people who say there's no character development don't notice that Nux is in the movie. While a lot of the character details and development is pretty subtle, Nux is like, a giant textbook character development that is central to the plot.

Yeah, but it's not spelled out in bright, loud words and he doesn't spend five pages of dialogue explaining his character arc.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Yeah, but it's not spelled out in bright, loud words and he doesn't spend five pages of dialogue explaining his character arc.

I mean, I did once get in a giant argument with someone who was arguing that Game of Thrones was a character-driven drama, as opposed to plot-driven.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
"erotic mud dance"

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
A lot of people cannot seem to come to terms with the fact that GoT is plot driven while ASoIaF is character driven.

I've still yet to see a negative review of MMFR that isn't just a long winded way of saying "I do not understand visual storytelling." Even when the movie isn't to a person's taste the reaction is more like "meh it was alright."

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Regulus74 posted:

A lot of people cannot seem to come to terms with the fact that GoT is plot driven while ASoIaF is character driven.

I've still yet to see a negative review of MMFR that isn't just a long winded way of saying "I do not understand visual storytelling." Even when the movie isn't to a person's taste the reaction is more like "meh it was alright."

I know a guy (gets paid to review movies and everything) watched Fury Road and wanted it to have more dialogue. He accepts that it's a visual tale in a visual medium but he wanted more dialogue in some magical place somewhere.

And he loathed Coma. :bang:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

rejutka posted:

I know a guy (gets paid to review movies and everything) watched Fury Road and wanted it to have more dialogue. He accepts that it's a visual tale in a visual medium but he wanted more dialogue in some magical place somewhere.

And he loathed Coma. :bang:

It's kinda like giving an illiterate person a comic book - they'll be dazzled by the pretty pictures, but won't understand what the gently caress is going on unless they're spoon-fed from the start

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ozz81 posted:

It's kinda like giving an illiterate person a comic book - they'll be dazzled by the pretty pictures, but won't understand what the gently caress is going on unless they're spoon-fed from the start

It's like showing a film-illiterate person a good movie.

exactly like it.

oRGy
May 8, 2014
Dunno if it was mentioned earlier ITT, but the cheesy fake obviously CGI guitar flying towards the camera in the big crash scene was actually a real in-camera shot! :aaaaa:

Making of article

quote:

“I thought the best we could do was at least shoot the guitar,” says Jackson. “It was all wires and flame throwers and had fuel lines that were broken and leaking fuel and various bits of wires dangling off. I just imagined that for real coming up to the camera and bouncing back. We set up a shoot for that where we hung the guitar from bungies on a cherry picker. I suggested that if you pull the guitar back and release it in exactly the same way it will always go back to the same spot. We released it and marked where it was going to and put a camera exactly there, so we could repeat that event and push the camera slightly closer.”

Even the steering wheel that flies out after the guitar was achieved photographically, as Jackson explains: “We shot that on a little gimbal spinning. In the end, George wanted to push right into the mouth of the wheel, but the resolution wasn’t enough, so we tracked the action of the spinning wheel on the gimbal and I built a little rig to photograph that with a high res stills camera. So we matched the motion of the spinning one and did a really high res version - like stop motion. Pushing right into the mouth of the steering wheel was all a live action element.”

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought this movie was incredible. Nux's character was so good, I was surprised by that. Every character was great. I'm not familiar with the franchise, but my impression was that Max was more of a symbol than a real character in the context of the movie, he felt very different from everyone else. Even Max's successful heroic at some point is done off-screen. There's a moment he passes out buried in sand for what could have been minutes. He seemed like a phantom and I'm okay with that.

The other characters on the other hand are so good. It's been such a while since I've seen a movie so efficient at creating memorable characters. With some few minutes and even fewer words you learn more about the characters and environments shown than most movies do with ten times the dialogue. I miss that efficiency of visual storytelling. It's great.

Even the mysteries are interesting and so much is left to the imagination. I love that this movie made me so curious asking so many questions by the end of it, the "mountains far away" Tolkien talked about.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oRGy posted:

Dunno if it was mentioned earlier ITT, but the cheesy fake obviously CGI guitar flying towards the camera in the big crash scene was actually a real in-camera shot! :aaaaa:

Making of article

Yeah, the issue is that even though it's real, the way the compositing is done makes it look fake as hell. You know, the same reason stuff looked fake in movies before CGI was a thing. It's neat that they achieved it, but but it's just so corny I feel like they should have looked at it when it was done and left it on the cutting room floor.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Snak posted:

I mean, I did once get in a giant argument with someone who was arguing that Game of Thrones was a character-driven drama, as opposed to plot-driven.

Is there a way to genuinely ask "what's the difference" that results in a couple of sentences of explanation and not a three-page argument? If so, assume I asked it that way.

Ozz81 posted:

I donno about that, I learned rudimentary French (couldn't speak it but I at least learned how to recognize it apart from similar languages like Italian) from my mother's Asterix books. The artwork was so expressive that I could use that to translate the gibberish words.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Is there a way to genuinely ask "what's the difference" that results in a couple of sentences of explanation and not a three-page argument? If so, assume I asked it that way.
Well I am not an expert, so it's entirely possible that my definitions/guidelines will be contradicted by others. that said, I would say the difference are like this: (and keep in mind that every story has a little from both, these aren't black and white opposites)

In a "Plot Driven" story, the big emphasis is on what happens next. Of course any story can be like this, but in a plot driven story, like say, Game of Thrones or Mission Impossible, the events of the plot are general events that are out of the characters control. "Plot Twists" are a hallmark of plot-driven story. Plot-driven stories might have developed characters, but the character developement is more reactionary to the plot, and not the driving force.

In a "Character Driven" story, it's the feelings, motivations, and actions of the characters themselves that keep us on the edge of our seat. I would call Breaking Bad to be primarily character driven. In Breaking Bad, a lot of the drama is the result of wondering what the characters will chose to do, how their experiences will impact their choices. In turn, these things move the plot forward.

Yes we all want to see what happens next in Breaking Bad, but what happens next is often the result of character choices. In Game of Thrones, characters are almost always hosed-over by twists of fate and their intentions are often meaningless.

I can probably give better, more fleshed-out examples and clarifications, but I think this is the gist of it. I'm also not claiming that one is objectively better than the other, but as I've gotten older I've decided that I definitely prefer character driven stories because plots are a dime a dozen and it's the human aspect of stories that really engages me.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Is this still getting a fancy pants black & white release? I'm actually really curious to see it in that format.
It'd be even cooler too if it had film artifacts in it too.

cariadcymru
Jul 1, 2007
http://youtu.be/dB0D-Egq46M

Some deleted scenes, not sure of the source. Temp baby!

Is that Angharad with Miss Giddy at the end?

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Bruceski posted:

A plot-driven narrative is written around rigid plot points. Even if it seems illogical or nonsensical or inconsistent for the characters to get to the plot points they'll do it because the setpieces take precedence over everything else in telling the story.

A character driven narrative is written around well defined characters and their actions. If there are specific plot points the writers want to reach but it's not feasible to do so without compromising the character, they will alter or drop the plot points because the characters are the story.

It's much easier to make this distinction if something is badly written (GoT) or slavishly devoted to one type of narrative (ASoIaF is only character driven). MMFR isn't as easy to describe as one or the other because it's so well made. I'd say it leans more toward being plot driven since it relies on setpieces but it uses those setpieces brilliantly to depict character arcs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Regulus74 posted:

A plot-driven narrative is written around rigid plot points. Even if it seems illogical or nonsensical or inconsistent for the characters to get to the plot points they'll do it because the setpieces take precedence over everything else in telling the story.

A character driven narrative is written around well defined characters and their actions. If there are specific plot points the writers want to reach but it's not feasible to do so without compromising the character, they will alter or drop the plot points because the characters are the story.

It's much easier to make this distinction if something is badly written (GoT) or slavishly devoted to one type of narrative (ASoIaF is only character driven). MMFR isn't as easy to describe as one or the other because it's so well made. I'd say it leans more toward being plot driven since it relies on setpieces but it uses those setpieces brilliantly to depict character arcs.

I'm making this up, but I would say that Fury Road is theme driven. It's not based on strict plot points or deep understanding of the characters, but is about concepts which are played out through the interplay of characters and events. It is a story about some ideas. Like I said before, the plot/character driven thing isn't a either or, it's more of a spectrum, and I would say Fury Road is right smack in the middle of it, but also has really strong overarching themes with permeate it.

Another film which straddles this line in a similar way is Face/Off. The surface of this film is highly plot driven: the hero and villain switch lives. It's John Woo's Freaky Friday. But a consistent theme throughout the film is that them being black and white opposites is not a strength for either of them. The hero's compassion and sensitivity makes him a better criminal leader and better friend to the villain's friends, while the villain's assertiveness and proactive problem solving fills a void in the hero's family life and makes him a more "successful" FBI agent. It's a clash between overprotective compassion and you-can-do-it brutality. This concentric conflict forms the core of the film, made possible by both the characters and plot, but greater than the sum of those parts.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Snak posted:

I'm making this up, but I would say that Fury Road is theme driven. It's not based on strict plot points or deep understanding of the characters, but is about concepts which are played out through the interplay of characters and events.

I'd have to agree - the theme being more about the legend/re telling of Max from different perspectives. Could also be character driven since most of what happens centers around the choices Max makes for himself & others.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ozz81 posted:

I'd have to agree - the theme being more about the legend/re telling of Max from different perspectives. Could also be character driven since most of what happens centers around the choices Max makes for himself & others.

yeah, but we only learn about the character through the events of the plot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

cariadcymru posted:

Yeah, from the context it looks like that was supposed to be after the night scene and leading into the discovery of the Vuvalini.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Those deleted scenes all felt much more R-rated than anything in the movie, really. I wonder how long they stayed in. That said, I don't think they were cut for a PG-13, even though they didn't get it. All of the information in those either could have been inferred through the other scenes but still. That third one especially looks beautiful. God, this movie looks so good on top of everything.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The People Eater looked pretty unimpressed and bored with Rictus' and Immortan's theatrics.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, he really didn't want to be there and thought the whole thing was a waste of resources. Hah. And what does he get out of it? Punched out by Max and then shot by Joe (who didn't seem to care at all that he shot P.E. instead of Max).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Those deleted scenes all felt much more R-rated than anything in the movie, really. I wonder how long they stayed in. That said, I don't think they were cut for a PG-13, even though they didn't get it. All of the information in those either could have been inferred through the other scenes but still. That third one especially looks beautiful. God, this movie looks so good on top of everything.

A good amount of the third scene was included in the trailers and promotional photos (in particular Immortan raising his fist, which was included in the very first trailer as our only clear shot of the villain).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If they'd kept those scenes in, it would have seemed like there was a lot more time between Furiosa going off course and Immortan Joe giving chase. I mean, what, did he call for help from Gastown and the Bullet Farm, have them join up at the Citadel, and THEN go chase, or did he call for them on the run? I assumed the latter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VideoTapir posted:

If they'd kept those scenes in, it would have seemed like there was a lot more time between Furiosa going off course and Immortan Joe giving chase. I mean, what, did he call for help from Gastown and the Bullet Farm, have them join up at the Citadel, and THEN go chase, or did he call for them on the run? I assumed the latter.

Since the scene ends with Angharad and Miss Giddy being tossed in a hole for the crows, I'm assuming that it was actually meant to take place in the morning after the War Rig escaped the Bullet Farmer.

oRGy
May 8, 2014

cariadcymru posted:

:eyepop:

Wow, some of those scenes are uh.. sort of gratuitious? Glad they didnt make the final cut. The scene at the end with "CROWS ATTACK" would have been a reference to the original Mad Max btw, where a similar thing happens when Toecutters gang kills a couple of people (forget who exactly). Oh! And at the start, Max is uh, scanning the horizon with his binos, which I think is a reference to The Road Warrior, where he is scouting out the refinery with the Gyrocopter guy.

That said, the scene where Immortan Joe and his war parties get hyped up before they drive off looked pretty decent :krad:. The "give zero fucks about this religious BS" disdain from the People Eater was great.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

oRGy posted:

:eyepop:

Wow, some of those scenes are uh.. sort of gratuitious? Glad they didnt make the final cut. The scene at the end with "CROWS ATTACK" would have been a reference to the original Mad Max btw, where a similar thing happens when Toecutters gang kills a couple of people (forget who exactly). Oh! And at the start, Max is uh, scanning the horizon with his binos, which I think is a reference to The Road Warrior, where he is scouting out the refinery with the Gyrocopter guy.

That said, the scene where Immortan Joe and his war parties get hyped up before they drive off looked pretty decent :krad:. The "give zero fucks about this religious BS" disdain from the People Eater was great.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking about the CROWS ATTACK bit (my next username BTW) and Max scanning the horizon with his binocular-telescope thing. I think there was a bit in Thunderdome or Road Warrior with SYMBOLIC BIRDLIFE too but I would have to go back and check. The symbolic birdlife in the original is very heavy.

Also yeah the bit with Immortan Joe and the Boys getting hype, complete with Immortan raising his fist and being the main front-on focus, was 100% in trailers and promotional stills. It was one of the things I kept an eye out for the second time I watched it because I was pretty sure it didn't happen despite being in every trailer ever.

Speaking of things that were or weren't in trailers and were or weren't in the movie, it's been a few pages since the last argument about whether The Dag pinching the War Rig with her fingers was in the actual movie, I vote we should do that right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, he really didn't want to be there and thought the whole thing was a waste of resources. Hah. And what does he get out of it? Punched out by Max and then shot by Joe (who didn't seem to care at all that he shot P.E. instead of Max).

It's a power move. Joe knows that someone is going to be fighting for control of the Bullet Farm because the Bullet Farmer died on Joe's ill-fated chase, so he might as well shoot the People Eater too and leave himself the only leader of the three cities.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Speaking of things that were or weren't in trailers and were or weren't in the movie, it's been a few pages since the last argument about whether The Dag pinching the War Rig with her fingers was in the actual movie, I vote we should do that right now.

We can watch the movie whenever we want now, it wasn't in the movie.

• Locked thread