Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The front doesn't look bad to me but the back definitely isn't normal on any Fiesta I've seen. I'd definitely get the dealer to fix that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That looks real bad. There are some inconsistencies on my FoST but well within what I would expect, which that is not.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Sigma X posted:

Pretty strange not having a gas cap, AND there not being a locking fuel filler door.

This was bothering me on my FiST so I went outside and tested - when the doors are locked, the flap for the capless filler neck is locked. It's disconcerting, but still secure enough. Also I don't have panel gap anywhere near that bad on a silver 2015 model, front and rear panels are all within about 0.5mm and even. Although in those pics they're really not bad for a tarted up $14k econobox. I have two fit and finish issues so far: the left side multifunction button cluster on the steering wheel has an intermittent backlight that goes in and out with pressure, and the steering wheel is about 5 degrees off center, to the right, when the car is pulling straight. Both have been there from my first week and I haven't bothered to bring it back to the dealer yet. The car is just way to much fun to drive, the thought of giving it up for a day or two overcomes my desire to fix the issues right now.

The rev hang is absolutely infuriating. I've completely missed two shifts, one from 1->2 and the other from 2->3, in my first 1,500 miles as a result. I'm slowly learning to compensate for it - somehow (counter-intuitive to the idea of rev hang) shifting very quickly in gears above second seems to make things smoother. Also absolutely infuriating: the fuel cutoff is just before the rev limit, and it catches me off guard every single time I intend to rev it all the way up for an aggressive gear change. I haven't conclusively determined whether the Cobb AP fixes this or not but I'm about 99% sold on their 'stage 1' kit either way.

Cellular Suicide fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 14, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Cellular Suicide posted:

..Also absolutely infuriating: the fuel cutoff is just before the rev limit, and it catches me off guard every single time I intend to rev it all the way up for an aggressive gear change. I haven't conclusively determined whether the Cobb AP fixes this or not but I'm about 99% sold on their 'stage 1' kit either way.

Fun fact: At some point in the production of MY14 vehicles, they lowered the rev limit from 6500 to 6375 without really telling anyone. The very late build date MY14s and MY15s with the from-factory lower limit have different tachometer gauge faces, there's a red line along the bottom of the entire RPM range that slopes outwards to the width of the full line at 6375. Pre-limit-drop cars have tachometers with solid white lines on the tachometer gauge face. Pre-limit-drop cars are flashed with the lower rev limit when they're brought to the dealer for service, without prior notice.

You do, however, get 6,500RPM for up to 2 seconds with Ford's loving ridiculous "overspeed" feature, for the times on the racetrack where you just can't change up a gear but are still on the throttle.

The Cobb redline seems to be 7K.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 14, 2015

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I have an early '14 car with the 6500 redline and literally have none of these problems described, and my panel gap is pretty spot on. However I am getting so many drat rock chips on my hood :(

I have 24k on mine now and it's been a boatload of fun, I have a 2 year lease thats just about up but i'm fairly certain I'm going to buy it out, I just can't think of another car thats this fun but practical and so small for parking.

I also want to do some mountune/cobb upgrades :getin:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Cellular Suicide posted:

the steering wheel is about 5 degrees off center, to the right, when the car is pulling straight.

Have you had the alignment checked? My '14 came off the lot slightly out of alignment, something I failed to notice until I discovered uneven tire wear

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Voltage posted:

I have an early '14 car with the 6500 redline and literally have none of these problems described, and my panel gap is pretty spot on. However I am getting so many drat rock chips on my hood :(

I have 24k on mine now and it's been a boatload of fun, I have a 2 year lease thats just about up but i'm fairly certain I'm going to buy it out, I just can't think of another car thats this fun but practical and so small for parking.

I also want to do some mountune/cobb upgrades :getin:

Clear bras are a thing of beauty. I put just over 200 miles on my R before getting mine and I already had 3-4 good hits on the bumper and 1 on the fender. The bra pretty much hid the ones on the bumper but the 1 on the fender is permanently entombed under the bra. Out here in CO there is pretty much no way possible to ever keep your front end looking good without some sort of bra, or a ton of touch up.

Got the Opti-coat Pro done yesterday and the depth of the black paint is amazing. I'm going to go get some pictures at lunch. The car looks like glass. :thumbsup: would buy again. This stuff. http://opti-coat.net/

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

veedubfreak posted:

Clear bras are a thing of beauty. I put just over 200 miles on my R before getting mine and I already had 3-4 good hits on the bumper and 1 on the fender. The bra pretty much hid the ones on the bumper but the 1 on the fender is permanently entombed under the bra. Out here in CO there is pretty much no way possible to ever keep your front end looking good without some sort of bra, or a ton of touch up.

Got the Opti-coat Pro done yesterday and the depth of the black paint is amazing. I'm going to go get some pictures at lunch. The car looks like glass. :thumbsup: would buy again. This stuff. http://opti-coat.net/

I got opti-coat on my Porsche. Looked like my car was made of yellow mirror. Lasted about 6 months. Warranty is poo poo.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 14, 2015

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Dr.Caligari posted:

Have you had the alignment checked? My '14 came off the lot slightly out of alignment, something I failed to notice until I discovered uneven tire wear

No I haven't, this is a good enough reason for me to bring it in promptly. Thanks for the heads up.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cellular Suicide posted:

No I haven't, this is a good enough reason for me to bring it in promptly. Thanks for the heads up.

How the hell does a brand new car get delivered out of alignment?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

veedubfreak posted:

Made in Mexico by dudes working 14 hours days for $1.50/hr?

EDIT: Eh, just got a service appointment at the dealership to fix the panel gap/misalignment issues and possibly the rev hang. Also ordered the Dead Hook Motorsports intercooler.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 14, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

veedubfreak posted:

The alignment on my FR-S which was purchased brand new was way off.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

veedubfreak posted:

You've seen those semi trucks going down the highway with like 8 new cars strapped on the back? Yeah they torque them down so tight it will sometimes pull them out of alignment. The receiving dealership should inspect the car and catch any alignment issues, but that frequently doesn't happen

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Right right, I keep forgetting that in this day and age no one gives a poo poo about doing their job properly.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!
So after a great deal of city driving in my FiST I've come to realize that first to second shift, if done "correctly" is crazy rear end unsafe. A poster said 3-4 seconds earlier for the rev hang to lay the gently caress off and even if it's less than that it's a noticeable enough pause required that it feels instinctively wrong to perform if you're trying to turn left into traffic or even just cross an intersection. I get it, as in I can keep the shifting smooth all the way up now, but I either have to wait and lag out of first or shift stupid early and come an asshair from lugging my engine.

Maybe the tolerance isn't as fine as I think it is and I'll try and get creative with it and maybe watch the tach more since I'm not terribly consistent with watching the numbers.

I have an early 14 FiST as well for what it's worth.

nuclear_cheetos fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 31, 2015

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

How is rev hang affecting shifts?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Cellular Suicide posted:

This was bothering me on my FiST so I went outside and tested - when the doors are locked, the flap for the capless filler neck is locked.

Dang, the Focus doesn't do this :(

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Today, after filling the gas tank, the FiST stalled twice. At idle. Like a loving shitbox from the mid-80s. And apparently this is a "known problem".

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Easy fix just never idle. :rice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRmhneo5A48

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a FiST in 6-8 months, and wanted to know 1.) if owners generally were happy with the car all things considered and 2.) If there are any known problems I need to look out for and be aware of.

Also what was your buying process like? Is there a waiting list I need to look into? The local Ford dealership doesn't even have any STs on their lot. I'll probably be using the USAA car buying service, if that makes any difference.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

Today, after filling the gas tank, the FiST stalled twice. At idle. Like a loving shitbox from the mid-80s. And apparently this is a "known problem".

Pull out the choke.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

The more I read on the fist, the more it makes me glad I bought a focus st. I am getting the general impression that the fist may be the more fun car, but the focus st is a better car in a lot of other ways.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Optimus Subprime posted:

The more I read on the fist, the more it makes me glad I bought a focus st. I am getting the general impression that the fist may be the more fun car, but the focus st is a better car in a lot of other ways.

I don't have any of the known issues, I don't think they are that common.

The only things I don't like about the car are that the shifter is about an inch further forward than I would like and there aren't any lifting points I can reach with a low profile jack to lift the entire front or entire rear in one go. Which isn't important anymore because now I have a lift.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GutBomb posted:

I don't have any of the known issues, I don't think they are that common.

I have a friend who has something like 36k on her FiST already and she's never mentioned any of these things. I've driven it at an autocross and didn't notice any shifting problems, but maybe it's just normal driving that it manifests? That said she has never mentioned it.

I've got no issues in the Focus ST with the shifting either, and I've read that people have the same trouble with the shifting in it, while I find it to shift very nicely once you are used to it. I went with the Focus instead of the Fiesta because of the shifter position (the Fiesta is just uncomfortably low and too far forward for me) and the extra room. Never have regretted that decision, as the price difference really isn't very much.

Previa_fun posted:

Also what was your buying process like? Is there a waiting list I need to look into? The local Ford dealership doesn't even have any STs on their lot. I'll probably be using the USAA car buying service, if that makes any difference.

I work with a small 'boondocks' (think farmland) Ford dealership and the process there is pretty simple. I go in and talk to my sales guy (same guy I've dealt with since I bought a truck from them in 2005) and tell him what I want. He goes and searches for a car (because they don't have any ST's on the lot). Either he finds one, or in my case they agree to order one, and they give me a price and what they'll give me for my trade. No bullshit about payments, or haggling, they give me their best price up front (My truck was $100 over invoice + tint, the Fiesta was about the same, and now the Focus was about $1500 under MSRP), and lay out all of the available incentives that I qualify for, giving me a bottom line price out the door. We shake hands, and they order the car (yes, really).

When the car comes in, they tell me how soon they'll have it prepped and ready, I go in, they take me out to go over the car, I take it for a quick test drive to make sure nothing is obviously out of whack, we go back in where all the paper-work is already done, spend about 10 minutes doing signature stuff and I hand them a check. About 30 minutes after I show up (including the test drive) I'm on the road with my shiny new car. In two other cases where I had no trade-in, the sales man or a lot guy followed me home in whatever car I drove there with, and then I drive him back to the dealership.

I'll never go to another dealership for a car as long as I live anywhere remotely near here, they are just so fantastic to work with, and the service department is pretty damned straight up with you and helpful too.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
The Cobb rear motor mount seems to have fixed the shifting issues I was seeing on hard corners, and cut down on wheel hop during hard launches. Of course, the downside is a noticeable increase in cabin noise and vibration, especially felt though the steering wheel. Definitely livable, though.

Ninja Edit: Apparently, the durometer of the rubber in the RMM was changed to be even softer in the MY15 cars. Or so the rumor goes.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sigma X posted:

The Cobb rear motor mount seems to have fixed the shifting issues I was seeing on hard corners, and cut down on wheel hop during hard launches. Of course, the downside is a noticeable increase in cabin noise and vibration, especially felt though the steering wheel. Definitely livable, though.

Ninja Edit: Apparently, the durometer of the rubber in the RMM was changed to be even softer in the MY15 cars. Or so the rumor goes.

No wheel hop with the rear wheels turn :)

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

veedubfreak posted:

No wheel hop with the rear wheels turn :)

Not necessarily true, super-sticky tires on the Miata and BMW both resulted in wheel hop, even after significant suspension upgrades (in the case of the BMW). And the BMW was way, WAY louder due to its bushings than the FiST is.

But hey, last night I got to go gently caress around on some curved roads and rocket out of corners and I forgot all the poo poo I didn't like with it. Still mostly pleased with the purchase.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 16, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

I remember when I changed the mounts on my SVT Focus. The noise and vibration was pretty bad and almost had me wishing I'd gone with stock mounts.

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!

Optimus Subprime posted:

They fill different niches, and despite my (overly loud, I admit) complaint I can attest that you really can't go wrong with either vehicle. The 1st to 2nd shift might be annoying, but it is by no means a huge thing and the overall package the FiST provides is pretty amazing and considering the fact lease turn ins can be acquired for 16k it's a great value on an incredibly fun ride.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Abarth when I got it:

Stripped off the graphics:

Added factory style Abarth stripe:

On the fence about whether or not to add the red mirror caps. Like this:

Anyway, I love this car. It's so much fun to drive and I like how it confuses people. I have no regrets about my silly car purchase.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ehud posted:

Abarth when I got it:

Stripped off the graphics:

Added factory style Abarth stripe:

On the fence about whether or not to add the red mirror caps. Like this:

Anyway, I love this car. It's so much fun to drive and I like how it confuses people. I have no regrets about my silly car purchase.

You should really put the scorpion back on the roof.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

GutBomb posted:

You should really put the scorpion back on the roof.

gonna get an animated graphic of my avatar for the roof

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Ehud posted:

What's confusing about it?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AnimalChin posted:

What's confusing about it?

Non-car people have no idea what it is. It doesn't have any Fiat badges, just Abarth.

So I get a lot of "I've never heard of...a...barth. What is that?"

It also gets confused looks whenever anyone hears the exhaust because it sounds much fiercer than the car looks

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Ehud posted:

Non-car people have no idea what it is. It doesn't have any Fiat badges, just Abarth.

So I get a lot of "I've never heard of...a...barth. What is that?"

It also gets confused looks whenever anyone hears the exhaust because it sounds much fiercer than the car looks

I finally got to hear an Abarth up close and personal the other day and I'll be damned if it's not one of the most beautiful noises a car that small could ever make.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Sigma X posted:

Mine did that a few times the first month I got it, but hasn't happened in the year and a half since.

Previa_fun posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a FiST in 6-8 months, and wanted to know 1.) if owners generally were happy with the car all things considered and 2.) If there are any known problems I need to look out for and be aware of.

This is the first new car I've bought that I have kept more than a year. It fits my 75lb dog and myself just fine and gets me around town quickly and efficiently. It's a Fiesta with a turbo engine and firm suspension, so I don't expect it to drive like a BMW. I'm very happy with it and though other people report a lot of problems with the 1-2 shift or other issues, I've not had any of them for what it's worth.

The buying process was easy, but I bought mine from the highest volume sales Ford dealership in North America, and they had like 20 ST's on the lot, so it might change depending on location.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Washed the R for the first time tonight. Gave it a full week to let the Opticoat cure. I -literally- could not tell the different between the side i washing using soap and the side I just hosed the dirt off. Pretty sure I'll never actually have to wash the car other than hosing the dirt off and just drying it. A++ would buy again.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Sigma X posted:

This happened to my brother's FiST the day he bought it. Someone on here said it was something about not leaving the fuel nozzle in long enough after it shuts off or something, when filling up. Whatever the case, I haven't heard him mentioning happening more than that one time.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
Attempting to sell my '14 Focus ST3 after moving to the NYC area. If anyone's interested, looking for about 22k for it. It's got 14k miles, and is in great shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Mine's in the shop today, first time! They're supposed to fix the awful panel gaps, the rev hang when skip-shifting, and the alignment. Didn't even offer me a rental car; keeping it classy, Ford.