Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The New Blood was one of the worst attempts to push new guys I've ever seen. The premise was alright, in that the old guys (the Millionaire's Club) were holding down any new talent, so you had these two factions pitted against each other. And I guess the New Blood was supposed to be faces in this battle? Except all they did was heel it up and interfere in each others matches constantly. And I guess the Millionaire's Club was supposed to be heels but they were just a random mix of faces and heels. Then there was that time Kevin Nash basically annihilated the entire faction/roster in a gauntlet match where he didn't even have to pin anybody or move around much to get pinfall counts.

I was a big WCW fan, mostly because of being an old Jim Crockett Promotions/NWA fan. I was never really a big WWF fan, so having Hogan and other former WWF guys show up in WCW repeatedly should've sent warning signs that never really hit me until the second run of the nWo. But once Vince Russo showed up (as the faceless "Powers That Be") and started using smark terms and neverending gimmick matches, even I changed the channel to WWF which I never thought I'd do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The New Blood were the heels. The Millionaire's Club were the faces. Which kinda paints a picture of WCW's mindset.

The problem with modern-day WWE isn't that it's objectively awful. It's that it is utterly stagnant and so on-message from a corporate shill's standpoint that it feels soulless. WCW's last year or two was only enjoyable if you're the kind of person who enjoys watching train wrecks.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ChrisBTY posted:

The New Blood were the heels. The Millionaire's Club were the faces. Which kinda paints a picture of WCW's mindset.

Yeah, I think I was more focused on the idea that "new guys that are underdogs are faces, established veterans 'holding them down' are heels" but then again it was a Russo joint

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I used to watch Raw and Nitro with a few friends, and we'd flip channels all the time between the two. Eventually we just started watching most of Raw, and I'll never forget when I turned on the next to last Nitro. I had heard about it being cancelled and was curious as to what exactly going on. I managed to catch the ongoing feud between Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes, in which (and I might be remembering this wrongly) Ric Flair had to kiss Dusty Rhodes rear end. The big reveal was that Dusty's rear end was actually a donkey with Dusty written on it. I immediately flipped back to Raw.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Obviously 1999-2000 WCW is the worst major wrestling company/show ever, but, BUT, are you sure current WWE isn't worse it is current and WWE there are no good workers or matches or segments

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DynamiteKidd posted:

Obviously 1999-2000 WCW is the worst major wrestling company/show ever, but, BUT, are you sure current WWE isn't worse it is current and WWE there are no good workers or matches or segments

huh?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I was making a ridiculous post because the assertion that current WWE is worse than the lowest of WCW is insane.

WWE has good matches with great workers on TV now and then and some really good PPVs a couple times a year. They have a lot of great promo guys who get a lot of heat. There's a lot about the current WWE product that's pretty good.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mercury Crusader posted:

The New Blood was one of the worst attempts to push new guys I've ever seen. The premise was alright, in that the old guys (the Millionaire's Club) were holding down any new talent, so you had these two factions pitted against each other. And I guess the New Blood was supposed to be faces in this battle? Except all they did was heel it up and interfere in each others matches constantly. And I guess the Millionaire's Club was supposed to be heels but they were just a random mix of faces and heels. Then there was that time Kevin Nash basically annihilated the entire faction/roster in a gauntlet match where he didn't even have to pin anybody or move around much to get pinfall counts.

I was a big WCW fan, mostly because of being an old Jim Crockett Promotions/NWA fan. I was never really a big WWF fan, so having Hogan and other former WWF guys show up in WCW repeatedly should've sent warning signs that never really hit me until the second run of the nWo. But once Vince Russo showed up (as the faceless "Powers That Be") and started using smark terms and neverending gimmick matches, even I changed the channel to WWF which I never thought I'd do.

NBR is one of those ideas that should make sense (Passing of the torch in one respect, and an attempt to show the audience that hey, we're sick of those old guys too) but Russo can't help but stand in his own way with his lovely booking, making it almost inert from the start. I can't even really explain NBRs badness. It just is. In almost every respect. It's actually quite an achievement.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DrVenkman posted:

NBR is one of those ideas that should make sense (Passing of the torch in one respect, and an attempt to show the audience that hey, we're sick of those old guys too) but Russo can't help but stand in his own way with his lovely booking, making it almost inert from the start. I can't even really explain NBRs badness. It just is. In almost every respect. It's actually quite an achievement.

FUNB

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

late era WCW had Disco "HEY THAT PULL APART WAS RECEIVED WELL LETS DO IT 20 TIMES IN THE SAME SHOW" Inferno booking. Also every PPV main event had a revolving door of runins because stupidly lazy booking.

WWE has a lot of problems with glass ceiling booking and Vince's insanity but it is nowhere near as dysfunctional as WCW was at getting people to part with cash.

Towards the end, it looked like WCW was starting to remember how to run a promotion but it was far too late.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DynamiteKidd posted:

I was making a ridiculous post because the assertion that current WWE is worse than the lowest of WCW is insane.

WWE has good matches with great workers on TV now and then and some really good PPVs a couple times a year. They have a lot of great promo guys who get a lot of heat. There's a lot about the current WWE product that's pretty good.

Huh?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I'm reading the Death of WCW re-release and it boggles my mind that they didn't understand the Sid winning streak gimmick. It was supposed to be bullshit and was actually one of the bright spots in the company at the time. Big Dumb Guy tried to falsify a winning streak but can't even do it in a believable way.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I have no frame of reference for that angle but if announcers weren't burying Sid for being a faker, I can see not getting it.

Meltz himself complained about it in his Nitro reports from the time. It's likely they just assumed the worst.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Sid is the greatest of all time and I want to believe the streak is still going today.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

coconono posted:

late era WCW had Disco "HEY THAT PULL APART WAS RECEIVED WELL LETS DO IT 20 TIMES IN THE SAME SHOW" Inferno booking. Also every PPV main event had a revolving door of runins because stupidly lazy booking.

WWE has a lot of problems with glass ceiling booking and Vince's insanity but it is nowhere near as dysfunctional as WCW was at getting people to part with cash.

Towards the end, it looked like WCW was starting to remember how to run a promotion but it was far too late.

I thought Disco was only on the booking committee long enough to propose Bill Ding the evil architect.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Wow, he lifted that one wholesale from Carmen Sandiego.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Can someone explain why they had Sid lose to Benoit, knowing full well he was jumping ship the next night? It sounds really dumb unless they just really wanted the belt off Sid.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

1st AD posted:

Can someone explain why they had Sid lose to Benoit, knowing full well he was jumping ship the next night? It sounds really dumb unless they just really wanted the belt off Sid.

It's my understanding that they tried to convince him to stay by giving him the title

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
That's another case of "Assuming the most stupid thought process possible" in terms of WCW booking. Benoit was given the world title as a concession, a sign of good will, to dissuade him from leaving.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, apparently Benoit said he would quit on the spot if Sullivan got the book again. They gave Sullivan the book anyway, but gave Benoit the title hoping he would change his mind. That worked as well as you'd expect.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Whiny little psychopath wouldn't work with a man after he stole his wife from him.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Let's just everybody assume the stupidest thought process went into everything in WCW history.

"LOLWCW why did they tell Goldberg to just punch the window"

"LOLWCW why'd they book Sid to break his leg"

DynamiteKidd fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 17, 2015

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

DynamiteKidd posted:

That's another case of "Assuming the most stupid thought process possible" in terms of WCW booking. Benoit was given the world title as a concession, a sign of good will, to dissuade him from leaving.

Not only this but Benoit was told he would retain against 4 separate people the next night. He said no and offered to drop it to anyone on Nitro. They told him to just go home and vacated it.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DynamiteKidd posted:

Let's just everybody assume the stupidest thought process went into everything in WCW history.

"LOLWCW why did they tell Goldberg to just punch the window"

"LOLWCW why'd they book Sid to break his leg"

LOLWCW, why'd they tell Shockmaster to trip?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Benne posted:

Yeah, apparently Benoit said he would quit on the spot if Sullivan got the book again. They gave Sullivan the book anyway, but gave Benoit the title hoping he would change his mind. That worked as well as you'd expect.

IIRC, there was an agreement where Sullivan would only be responsible for Saturday Night and Worldwide, and the Radicalz + Konnan/Douglas wouldn't have to work his shows, which everyone was cool with. Then Bill Busch sent everyone except Benoit home before Nitro, effectively killing that deal, and when Benoit found out, he told them he wasn't staying but would drop the belt before he left (and we know what they said in response).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"I'm twice the man you are and have half the brain you do!" - Sid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=340FMdHj24c

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I love that he immediately follows it up with. "And week after week you make me look like a jackass."

Also all this talk about latter day WCW is reminding me that we're still in the 'still watchable but cracks are starting to appear in the facade.' stage of WCW's history in MRT/Naitch's channel. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to the raw sewage that follows or if I'm dreading it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

I love that he immediately follows it up with. "And week after week you make me look like a jackass."

Also all this talk about latter day WCW is reminding me that we're still in the 'still watchable but cracks are starting to appear in the facade.' stage of WCW's history in MRT/Naitch's channel. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to the raw sewage that follows or if I'm dreading it.

Well this week is Fall Brawl 98 so get ready!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Well this week is Fall Brawl 98 so get ready!

I can't wait to see how they gently caress up WarGames again

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Rad R. posted:

Personally, I really enjoy watching even those near-end Nitros. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I just hate the way modern WWE presents everything like a product I'm supposed to buy. The Divas Revolution is a fresh example of this. I think even The New Blood angle was handled better than this one.

Great White Hope posted:

The only reason verge-of-death WCW was any good was because they were slowly removing a lot of the lovely old guys in order to build up to a reboot which would feature the return of the lovely old guys.
If I remember right, Nitro had a few stretches in the last couple years that were actually just solid wrestling shows with the talent they had, albeit without any exciting angles going on. This was always because there had been a regime change or something else that basically resulted in WCW being in a holding pattern for awhile. So you'd just have a few Nitros where guys were doing well-booked matches with guys it made sense for them to be fighting.

I guess the lesson is that after a certain point, WCW became a company that would've been better off if the road agents were running the company. And whatever lessons flow from that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

If I remember right, Nitro had a few stretches in the last couple years that were actually just solid wrestling shows with the talent they had, albeit without any exciting angles going on. This was always because there had been a regime change or something else that basically resulted in WCW being in a holding pattern for awhile. So you'd just have a few Nitros where guys were doing well-booked matches with guys it made sense for them to be fighting.

I guess the lesson is that after a certain point, WCW became a company that would've been better off if the road agents were running the company. And whatever lessons flow from that.

This happened in the fall of 99 (between Bischoff being sent home and Russo being hired) the summer of 2000 (Russo was gone for a bit) and the last two months of the company. It's funny because this would happen in TNA too. When the regime changed or they went into a holding pattern waiting for something better the shows improved.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

This happened in the fall of 99 (between Bischoff being sent home and Russo being hired) the summer of 2000 (Russo was gone for a bit) and the last two months of the company. It's funny because this would happen in TNA too. When the regime changed or they went into a holding pattern waiting for something better the shows improved.

Hulk Hogan's coming in, what should we do in the meantime? Eh, gently caress it, Daniels/AJ/Joe main event for the title.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Is 98 the one they inexplicably made into a this cage match instead of WarGames

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Great White Hope posted:

Hulk Hogan's coming in, what should we do in the meantime? Eh, gently caress it, Daniels/AJ/Joe main event for the title.

Isn't that match like, loving incredible? I'm not up in my TNA history, could be mistaken.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Memento posted:

Isn't that match like, loving incredible? I'm not up in my TNA history, could be mistaken.

Any combination of the 3 could be brought out at any time and you'd get like a 3.5+ star match depending on time given to it. They had a 3 way that is the best thing TNA ever did that got the illustrious 5 snowflakes from Big Dave Meltzer.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I don't know about the one from 2009 but the one from 2005 got a very deserved 5 stars from Meltzer.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The 2009 match was pretty loving close to the 2005 match quality-wise.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Critical posted:

I'm reading the Death of WCW re-release and it boggles my mind that they didn't understand the Sid winning streak gimmick. It was supposed to be bullshit and was actually one of the bright spots in the company at the time. Big Dumb Guy tried to falsify a winning streak but can't even do it in a believable way.

Yeah I remember this, they did acknowledge it was bullshit then they suddenly stopped doing that but I don't recall if they tried to make it legit or not.

Edit: I remember WCW going uncomprehensible after Bret Hart vacated the title with that weird booking between Nash and Sid then it got kinda better when Sid was solidified as a champ until the New Blood.

Numero6 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 17, 2015

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
"Sycho Sid, Babyface World Champ" is an odd booking choice that was made TWICE in WCW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DynamiteKidd posted:

"Sycho Sid, Babyface World Champ" is an odd booking choice that was made TWICE in WCW

He was a two time WWF champion as a tweener.