Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
This weekend is the start of playoffs, and I've got two games today and one tomorrow. The first of the two today, in about 2.5 hours, has eight skaters confirmed on a team that usually tries to field a full bench (which sucks). Should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Power Skating coach asked me if I wanted to pop in for a game in her co-ed casual league if there is a spot.

I feel like a loving champion.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

She just wants to get in your pants.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

So should I body check her during warm ups or what

I doubt her co-coach husband on the same team would appreciate it but I want to get this right

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

doctor 7 posted:

So should I body check her during warm ups or what

I doubt her co-coach husband on the same team would appreciate it but I want to get this right

He's in on it, obviously.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
He's looking to get cucked on ice. You must oblige.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I feel like I'm being insulted in a way but really ya'll are saying you think I'm a desirable bang

:smug:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Or that she has terrible taste / decision making skills

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

:boom:

Wait a second

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
Dump that poor man's Laura Stamm into the boards and tell her she's ruining the game with her woman parts, that'll get her hot and bothered

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

What are people's thoughts on the Green Biscuit. Is it worth having one to practice stick handling with when I can't make it to the rink?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I wish people would mix teams better in pickup games. I played in Atlanta last night and one side had nothing but college age kids and they were running circles around everyone else. Depending on the goal I was in, I either saw no action or got sniped bar down every time.
Unfortunately I did dishonor my name by flinching in front of a slapper from the point. Oh well, it was my second time playing goalie...

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dudeabides posted:

What are people's thoughts on the Green Biscuit. Is it worth having one to practice stick handling with when I can't make it to the rink?

Yes. They're not a perfect ice puck analog, but way better than any kind of roller puck or anything like that.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I like my green biscuit. I heard the "Green Biscuit Snipe" (or whatever the shooting one was called) was bad though.

I have a makeup game tonight and I was thinking that I had a playoff game on Wednesday. Nope! Playoff game is also tonight, immediately after the makeup. That should be fun after spending all last week sitting on a beach drinking beer and eating Doritos.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Split my two weekend playoff games in close affairs, winning 5-4 last night on a garbage goal with eighteen seconds left. In the locker room after the game, our goalie, who is apparently quite the party and narcotics fiend, begins apologiIng for his play, "Sorry guys, I did way too much cocaine last night."

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm no drugs expert but shouldn't cocaine make you faster and more focused??

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
not if the cocaine was from the previous night, he's probably crashed.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Maddot_66 posted:

not if the cocaine was from the previous night, he's probably crashed.

Yeah, and he let in two or three weak (for him, he's usually solid) goals, but as I told him, for a guy who'd done too much cocaine the night before, he played great!

Also, I took a hard point blank pass attempt off the back of the calf, right where there's no padding. God drat. Today it feels like my calf is one solid chunk of iron. Can barely flex it. Ugh. Guess today's workout is now tomorrow's workout.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

For stick handling the green biscuit is great for off ice. Way better than the orange puck with those three rounded things on either side.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Habibi posted:

Split my two weekend playoff games in close affairs, winning 5-4 last night on a garbage goal with eighteen seconds left. In the locker room after the game, our goalie, who is apparently quite the party and narcotics fiend, begins apologiIng for his play, "Sorry guys, I did way too much cocaine last night."

i think he might officiate in my league

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My bronze team beat the #1 team in the league to punch our ticket to the championship. It's been a year or so since we've beat them and they've been in the past 3-4 championships. Feels good.

My silver team goes for the same tonight, except we ended up at the 1 seed.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
someone needs to cut the "master blaster" out and replace it with "Henrik Zetterberg"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgq4w4dqKsU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I had to pick up a new stick and decided to give Tron a shot with one of their bootleg sticks. I bought a HX4 Heat and was pleasantly surprised with it during my game last night. It had good pop on wristers and slapshots, felt good catching passes and stickhandling. I've had an APX2 that was great but couldn't afford to replace after snapping it, Up until now I had been using an APX2 shaft and blade combo but I ended up selling it to a teammate because he broke his and had borrowed it for a few games in a row and liked it. I also have Bauer x80 that originally cost about $115. With the 20% off coupon that Tron had a week ago i was able to get this stick for $115 shipped so it was a good price comparison with the x80.

I've found that the x80 feels super heavy compared to the APX2's I had been using but otherwise plays well. For the same price the Tron stick is way better and much more comparable to the high end Bauer sticks.

I'll have to see how the durability is or if it winds up losing any of its pop as the months go on but so far I'm pretty sold on it.

It also cracks me up with the goofy graphics like "SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION" "HX4 ANCHOR" and for some reason the ideal gas law equations "PV=nRT" all over it

kill me now fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 18, 2015

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

kill me now posted:

i was able to get this stick for $115 shipped

I'm going to cry when my $40 Warrior from that epic Amazon sale breaks and I have to buy some knockoff that still costs over 100 bucks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow, we absolutely smoked the #2 team 10-0 tonight. Sunday/Monday championships for my bronze/silver teams!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

So you're retiring from Bronze then since you are clearly sandbagging.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Pleads posted:

So you're retiring from Bronze then since you are clearly sandbagging.

Other team obviously didn't have a proper pasta dish at 6 and 3 hours before the game IMO

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Monday Injury Report: 8/17/15

Sore left groin muscle. (From B1 Goalie-Make-A-Wish Sub)
Sore left ankle (From crashing into the boards feet first)
Bruised right palm (From gloving down a slapshot)
Slight throat laceration (From sliding into goalie stick)
Bruised right ankle (From shot block)
Bruised right calf (From shot block)
Intestinal discomfort (From Pepsi, Doritos, Beef Jerky diet)

Should still be good to play Tuesday.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Other team obviously didn't have a proper pasta dish at 6 and 3 hours before the game IMO

This.

Also we're losing a bunch of good guys on our bronze team next season, so I'm staying one more before I call it quits there. Most of the guys we're picking up for next season are the guys I originally played with coming out of LTP with; guys that took a few years off. Skill-wise we're taking a step back, but it will be a blast to play with these guys again.

Plus, the bronze championship has been elusive for me. 10 seasons and I'm 0-1 in them :(

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

kill me now posted:

I had to pick up a new stick and decided to give Tron a shot with one of their bootleg sticks. I bought a HX4 Heat and was pleasantly surprised with it during my game last night. It had good pop on wristers and slapshots, felt good catching passes and stickhandling. I've had an APX2 that was great but couldn't afford to replace after snapping it, Up until now I had been using an APX2 shaft and blade combo but I ended up selling it to a teammate because he broke his and had borrowed it for a few games in a row and liked it. I also have Bauer x80 that originally cost about $115. With the 20% off coupon that Tron had a week ago i was able to get this stick for $115 shipped so it was a good price comparison with the x80.

I've found that the x80 feels super heavy compared to the APX2's I had been using but otherwise plays well. For the same price the Tron stick is way better and much more comparable to the high end Bauer sticks.

I'll have to see how the durability is or if it winds up losing any of its pop as the months go on but so far I'm pretty sold on it.

It also cracks me up with the goofy graphics like "SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION" "HX4 ANCHOR" and for some reason the ideal gas law equations "PV=nRT" all over it

I'm really enjoying this stick as well. I've only recently really learned to shoot, but I feel like my shot has been better with this stick than with any other except maybe my Easton Mako intermediate, which broke within 60 days.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Going to play pickup with some co-workers this Friday. One played for a women's D2 NCAA championship team and one is a goalie who hasn't been on the ice in 2 years. I think I can fit somewhere in between. :v:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody planning on attending any pickup games in the Charlotte, NC area this Saturday? Me and a buddy of mine will be driving up there to play. You'll have a goalie to take slappers at (I'm training myself not to flinch).

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Vargatron posted:

Anybody planning on attending any pickup games in the Charlotte, NC area this Saturday? Me and a buddy of mine will be driving up there to play. You'll have a goalie to take slappers at (I'm training myself not to flinch).

The pineville icehouse usually has a satuday night pickup at 10:30. I've been lazy or busy and haven't been in months. I need to get off my rear end and go.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just arrived in Seattle on Saturday and brought my gear in the car for a 2500 mile road trip. Let's play soon.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

sellouts posted:

i think he might officiate in my league

Are you going tonight? I see a vague email...

If you really want to try the straps:

I donated g-skates to Shawn Shroeder and they had the straps on there. He swapped them for laces but I have to go to his house and get them (plus he is giving me some Maltese gel stuff). Not really a problem but I have to leave early.

If you are there and want to try them we need screw drivers. You are screwing in these straps into the eyelets plus you set up how much strap you want to extend. Higher straps get less extra vs lower straps. It is not super easy and takes a bit of time.

Let me know, email me or whatever.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Fingers McGee posted:

The pineville icehouse usually has a satuday night pickup at 10:30. I've been lazy or busy and haven't been in months. I need to get off my rear end and go.

I'll definitely be doing the 10:30PM pickup and possibly the 5:30? stick time earlier that day.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Wooty posted:

Are you going tonight? I see a vague email...

If you really want to try the straps:

I donated g-skates to Shawn Shroeder and they had the straps on there. He swapped them for laces but I have to go to his house and get them (plus he is giving me some Maltese gel stuff). Not really a problem but I have to leave early.

If you are there and want to try them we need screw drivers. You are screwing in these straps into the eyelets plus you set up how much strap you want to extend. Higher straps get less extra vs lower straps. It is not super easy and takes a bit of time.

Let me know, email me or whatever.

nah not tonight, with wednesdays + sundays I'm kind of tapped right now, and they are freaking out about people not showing up so i don't want to say that I am only to cancel. I'll let you know when i skate there next.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

sellouts posted:

nah not tonight, with wednesdays + sundays I'm kind of tapped right now, and they are freaking out about people not showing up so i don't want to say that I am only to cancel. I'll let you know when i skate there next.

That's cool, if you just want to get the straps too, that fine. Let me know

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Just arrived in Seattle on Saturday and brought my gear in the car for a 2500 mile road trip. Let's play soon.

Neat - it's between seasons for the GSHL right now so I'm bored as F and missed out on drop-in this week (filled up) and getting antsy. Probably gonna go to stick n puck on Sunday @ 6p at the closest-to-Seattle-ice to fart around. I need to find me a Mon, Tue or Thurs drop-in around here. I'm sure they exist I just don't know who runs em.

Welcome to the hood!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
some lovely news out of NESHL last night

quote:

Guys,
It is with sadness that we announce the loss of one of our own. Tim Mann, a long time referee in the league, and a former player in the league, collapsed and died last night.

He was officiating a game at the Foxboro Sports Center when apparently he suffered a massive heart attack. Despite the efforts of a firefighter who was on the scene, and the efforts of the EMTs, he died.

We will pass along details of his arrangements as soon as we know them. Our deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

Our game was at the other rink in this NESHL division, but I'm sure this was one of our regular refs.