Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Our brains also process on-screen text in a different manner to printed text, and we read and remember things differently depending on whether it's a physical book or something digital

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/reading-paper-screens/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Reading books will make you think you are smarter because of all of the deep meaningful thoughts you have read but actually you will become emotionally stunted and incapable of feeling anything not written using 5 different synonyms for "happy".

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Conversely, reading the Twitters of your fav celebrities (and don't forget weird twitter comedians!) will expose you to the whole gamut of written communication as it is conducted in the 21st century and leave you both more able to converse with people, and more understanding of their views/opinions as opposed to fiction driving you into increasing levels of solipsistic hikkikomori.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
If you read a book and then talk to someone about the book, having that conversation will also expose you to the modern lexicon and communication skills. Not only that, but there is more analytical thought involved discussing a book, any book, than how Kanye considers the Caps Lock on his phone a "stylistic choice" or a 160-character witticism from that cute nerd girl from Jurassic World.

There are quite a few studies on what reading does to the brain and it's place with human interaction. I have alexithymic tendencies and severe ADHD, and I've been told by my therapist that I'm naturally drawn to reading because it exercises imagination, exercises concentration, and allows me to understand and connect emotionally with situations and characters in an analytical way. Books are personal, because it's you and the pages. Everyone in my book club reads the same book, but we're not experiencing the same story, because This Means Something to me, and This Means Something to you.

Also, Twitter needs wi-fi, hurts the eyes, creates an odd mental craving similar to Pavlov's dog, and needs a battery to be accessed. I can get a really good loving book for a few dollars at the thrift store and enjoy it for at least eight hours, and feel accomplished.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I have always heard that books do a great job at making you smarter but I don't even get how that's possible unless the book is a history or science book. Like what could I get out of a fiction book over reading Twitter, intelligently?
I dunno man, maybe read a bunch of really great fiction then come back here and see if you still want to ask the same question. Then we'll know the answer.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

CestMoi posted:

Conversely, reading the Twitters of your fav celebrities (and don't forget weird twitter comedians!) will expose you to the whole gamut of written communication as it is conducted in the 21st century and leave you both more able to converse with people, and more understanding of their views/opinions as opposed to fiction driving you into increasing levels of solipsistic hikkikomori.

Forget pretension about imagination and mental exercise, you read a book instead of twitter because 140 characters isn't enough space to say anything worth saying. People's "views and opinions"? You're lucky to get a less than one dimensional caricature of a real opinion. Advocate for facebook, for texts, for loving omegle, but twitter is irredeemable poo poo. It's the 'literary' equivalent of trying to communicate with notes tied to bricks - the absolute best case still leaves you with all your windows smashed.

Or to compress all that down to a tweet: " No u"

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 18, 2015

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Ceebees posted:

Forget pretension about imagination and mental exercise, you read a book instead of twitter because 140 characters isn't enough space to say anything worth saying. People's "views and opinions"? You're lucky to get a less than one dimensional caricature of a real opinion. Advocate for facebook, for texts, for loving omegle, but twitter is irredeemable poo poo. It's the 'literary' equivalent of trying to communicate with notes tied to bricks - the absolute best case still leaves you with all your windows smashed.

Or to compress all that down to a tweet: " No u"

The best thing about Twitter is that it doesn't enable ppl to retreat to clichéd megagoony and laboured baboonfuck turdbungler comparisons like a hellshitting hog let loose in a Christ on a bicycle pedophile prison yard

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Twitter is this weird place where we pretend that the random thought vomit of famous people is somehow different and better than a random person's, so anytime someone famous types 140 letters insulting Taylor Swift, it is a serious news story.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I read books top make me look smart, check out my copy of focaults pendulum on the coffee table yeah I'm a deep person

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I read books because it's fun. :shrug:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ToxicFrog posted:

I read books because it's fun. :shrug:

lol if your opinions aren't always at either extreme.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

When you order something online like a pizza or a book I often wonder if there is a character limit to the additional notes section. If not I would like to find an eBook of War and Peace and paste the whole thing in there. Or perhaps just a lengthy poem describing in great detail how I would like the package left by the downstairs door.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

krampster2 posted:

When you order something online like a pizza or a book I often wonder if there is a character limit to the additional notes section. If not I would like to find an eBook of War and Peace and paste the whole thing in there. Or perhaps just a lengthy poem describing in great detail how I would like the package left by the downstairs door.

I once ordered a pizza online where they hadn't put a limit on any of the extras, one of them just being "slice it please" (which cost nothing) so i ordered it sliced like 23 times or something like that but it was still only sliced like a regular and the delivery guy was annoyed cause it took a lot of their thermal paper to print out my dumb order.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I once ordered a pizza online where they hadn't put a limit on any of the extras, one of them just being "slice it please" (which cost nothing) so i ordered it sliced like 23 times or something like that but it was still only sliced like a regular and the delivery guy was annoyed cause it took a lot of their thermal paper to print out my dumb order.
I'd throw a fit if I were paying for a pizza that I wanted sliced 23 times, and didn't get exactly that. What happened to the customer is always right? :mad:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Juanito posted:

I'd throw a fit if I were paying for a pizza that I wanted sliced 23 times, and didn't get exactly that. What happened to the customer is always right? :mad:

Well the slicing was free so I didn't pay for it, but then again in a way I guess you could say I did cause it was my part of my order that I paid for. This is deep.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Now I sort of want to order pizza in order to pose math riddles, like asking them to slice it into seven pieces using only 3 cuts.

Probably would just result in eating spit pizza though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Enfys posted:

Now I sort of want to order pizza in order to pose math riddles, like asking them to slice it into seven pieces using only 3 cuts.

Probably would just result in eating spit pizza though.

Professor Layton can't order food anywhere these days.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

So what if your pizza place doesn't own a microtome?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here read Ashley's War: The Untold Story of a Team of Women Soldiers on the Special Ops Battlefield?

I have to read it for my book club. I just wanted to know if I should just get a copy from the library, or if it's good enough to warrant a purchase (I like to annotate)?

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Okay, this is a very long shot, but I'm looking for myth or legend that I read a while ago. I believe it comes from Islamic lore, but I could be wrong about that.

Anyway, it's about a man who is on some kind of mission and he meets a genie or some kind of supernatural entity who offers to help him. The genie ends up destroying his sword then doing two other negative things to him (like taking away his food and money or something). The man asks what the deal is, and the genie gives a good explanation for everything, like "if you'd kept that money you would have been robbed and killed, so I had to take it from you". And the guy says, "fine, but why did you destroy my sword first? I needed that to complete my quest?", to which the genie replies "because if you'd kept your sword you would have killed me as soon as I took away your money, and I wouldn't have been able to help you".

Like I said, it's a long shot, but any ideas where it's from?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Blurred posted:

Okay, this is a very long shot, but I'm looking for myth or legend that I read a while ago. I believe it comes from Islamic lore, but I could be wrong about that.

Anyway, it's about a man who is on some kind of mission and he meets a genie or some kind of supernatural entity who offers to help him. The genie ends up destroying his sword then doing two other negative things to him (like taking away his food and money or something). The man asks what the deal is, and the genie gives a good explanation for everything, like "if you'd kept that money you would have been robbed and killed, so I had to take it from you". And the guy says, "fine, but why did you destroy my sword first? I needed that to complete my quest?", to which the genie replies "because if you'd kept your sword you would have killed me as soon as I took away your money, and I wouldn't have been able to help you".

Like I said, it's a long shot, but any ideas where it's from?

That sounds familiar, but I can't place it.

You may have more luck in this thread.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I'm 3/4 of the way through Lady Chatterley's Lover and it is goddamn fantastic, but the two people IRL I've tried to discuss it with have only given these dumbass "WhoooOOOooo, look at you reading a dirty book!!!" replies and killed the conversation. Even after I pointed out that it's not dirty at all by today's standards and any random Romance novel has 300% more sex scenes that are 30x more explicit, they just kept going on like 12-year-old boys. (And the sex scenes aren't even sexy, and that's even kind of the point!)

It's mostly about the massive upheaval that Industry and Mechanization wrought upon formerly rural England and its class system, and what that does to men and women as individuals and to the relations between them. It's great. Everyone should read it.

Or read DH Lawrence's novella, The Fox. It is also great, touches on the same issues, and doesn't have the same reputation of LCL so you can actually talk with your friends about it like grown-rear end adults!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

People might say Jon Franzen is a dick, but along with my copy of Purity came a ticket to his book signing and he has agreed to sign up to three of his previous titles. That's awesome of him and I will be able to get Freedom and Corrections signed along with Purity. Clearly he appreciates his fans.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

People might say Jon Franzen is a dick, but along with my copy of Purity came a ticket to his book signing and he has agreed to sign up to three of his previous titles. That's awesome of him and I will be able to get Freedom and Corrections signed along with Purity. Clearly he appreciates his fans.

I dare you to ask him to sign your Kindle

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

haha I may!!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

blue squares posted:

haha I may!!

And then when he gets angry, introduce your niece Kindal by saying "Let Mr. Franzen sign your forehead."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Purity still looks really bad btw

I think Franzen can be a genius when dealing with the anxieties of his own generation but beyond that he seems a little too "kids these days!"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I haven't read Franzen. I know he's considered "a writer's writer" by many, and that David Foster Wallace was a big fan, I've seen many copies of Freedom at thrift stores, and I have a copy of The Corrections, untouched, on my shelf.

Why doesn't anyone talk about his first two novels?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Because they're poo poo, like most first two novels.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I dunno, Purity sounds p good to me.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Because they're poo poo, like most first two novels.

His first novel was The Twenty-Seventh City and second novel was Strong Motion. IDK about Twenty-Seventh City but I love Strong Motion.

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 2, 2015

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

Franzen is a dick and a Bad Writer and this is a plot to get you to buy his backlist HTH

Trying to think of a writer I hate more than Franzen and I'm coming up blank. Wait no, Ayn Rand, never mind.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
So many salty people over Franzen

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I have to admit that Franzen hasn't handled himself very well in the media these past few months/ever, but his books hold up so I'm excited for Purity. After seeing Louder Than Bombs I'm confident that Trier could make a great movie out of his stuff and this seems the most cinematic of his books in premise at least.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
There is no way how he handles the media isn't part of the act, I refuse to believe otherwise, it syncs too well.

He is the meta-author we deserve.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Franchescanado posted:

I haven't read Franzen. I know he's considered "a writer's writer" by many, and that David Foster Wallace was a big fan, I've seen many copies of Freedom at thrift stores, and I have a copy of The Corrections, untouched, on my shelf.

Why doesn't anyone talk about his first two novels?

he got very good reviews for his first two novels, iirc, but nobody bought them, and now they don't fit into this idea of franzen as the bestselling author of The Great American Novels, so they're never brought up again

maybe i should read one of his books before talking about them, but this seems more interesting.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 2, 2015

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I got the guy who writes Kevin J Anderson's tweets to write me back today. I called bullshit on aliens using ancient roman colloquialisms and he responded "that's just the way they are."

That's my story folks tune in next week!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I don't know why you'd expect better from Kevin J. Anderson and/or the guy that controls his Twitter account.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'm currently reading the Count of Monte Cristo and I'm about halfway through. While I very much enjoy the dialog and the meticulous steps Monte Cristo is going through for what I assume will be sweet, sweet revenge, I'm having a very difficult time keeping track of all the different characters. Does anyone know of a spoiler-free chart or diagram that shows the various characters and their relationships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished up Baseball Dads from Matthew Hiley, and it was hilarious. It's very vulgar, rude, crass, weird, and generally hosed up, but it's also literally laugh out loud (to me at least) and worth a read.

It's a very black comedy about sex, drugs, rock and roll, and baseball. Specifically murdering people who gently caress up one of the listed above. I loving hate baseball, but I still loved this book. It's like someone gave Christopher Moore some acid and let him write a book about random poo poo.

I got an EARC from netgalley, but the release date is something like 9/15. Worth checking out.