Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Yeah, they work because of what show they're on. Lucha Underground takes place in a dirty warehouse. It looks like someone threw together a wrestling ring and some bleachers in a condemned building. Having announcers that are kinda sloppy or rough around the edges fits the aesthetic. If they switched to slicker and more professional commentary it would be like the Noah's Arcade-sponsored version of Wayne's World.

I also think Vampiro and Striker have improved a lot from those first few episodes. The parts where Striker would ask a question followed by several seconds of dead air because Vamp wasn't paying attention were rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I had no problem with the commentary, but to be fair it was their first time at the desk together while Striker and Vampiro had almost a year to ramp up their chemistry. Given that long of a time I'm sure Schiavello and Striker would have a great rapport as well.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I don't know, that came from Wagenen's AMA and he didn't explain further, other than saying they needed someone in a hurry and he's been friends with Schiavello for awhile. I know for awhile they were trying to get JR to do it, but he wasn't available that weekend. Maybe they had someone else on tap as well who had to cancel.

poo poo, JR calling Wrestle Kingdom and Ultima Lucha in the same year would've been amazing.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

JR at Lucha would be the greatest thing to happen to pro wrestling

ever

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

HogX posted:

JR at Lucha would be the greatest thing to happen to pro wrestling
That dragon has a family!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

A reminder to you guys that AAA's Triplemania is tonight, get your fix since even in the best case scenario it's gonna be a while before LU returns:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735546

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
The beautiful thing about them having an off season is that they have time to write and plan things out properly without a lunatic switching things on the fly.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Vampiro's appearance on Austin's podcast is pretty good. Main takeaway about Ultima Lucha was that Vampiro wanted to put that angle and match together to really push Pentagon Jr up to a main event level, at least in terms of connecting with the U.S. audience. And that a good amount of stuff got cut from TV. He also said the match wasn't supposed to be falls count anywhere but he audibled and had Pentagon pin him on the outside because he wasn't sure he could get up.

Also I enjoyed the part where he casually mentions committing a robbery to get the money to go to Mexico to wrestle for the first time.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

StarkRavingMad posted:

Vampiro's appearance on Austin's podcast is pretty good. Main takeaway about Ultima Lucha was that Vampiro wanted to put that angle and match together to really push Pentagon Jr up to a main event level, at least in terms of connecting with the U.S. audience. And that a good amount of stuff got cut from TV. He also said the match wasn't supposed to be falls count anywhere but he audibled and had Pentagon pin him on the outside because he wasn't sure he could get up.

Also I enjoyed the part where he casually mentions committing a robbery to get the money to go to Mexico to wrestle for the first time.

Who do you think was the guy that Vampiro mentioned who didn't want to lose to Pentagon Jr.? Was it Alberto?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Maybe Hernandez or someone who hasn't been shown yet.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Who was gone for a month? Only person I can think of is Blue Demon Jr but I wouldn't exactly call him a big name.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Vampiro's life is so drat interesting. From punk gang member to Millli Vanilli security to heartthrob Mexican vampire to WCW to juggalo cholo.

And now he's a satanic pope with a skeleton ninja protege.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

Who was gone for a month? Only person I can think of is Blue Demon Jr but I wouldn't exactly call him a big name.

Chavo?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Vampiro's life is so drat interesting. From punk gang member to Millli Vanilli security to heartthrob Mexican vampire to WCW to juggalo cholo.

And now he's a satanic pope with a skeleton ninja protege.

Don't forget Mexico City crime-fighter and proud Canadian.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Benne posted:

So is Vamp done with commentary? It would actually be hilarious if he did his whole Sith Lord routine with Pentagon and then the next week went back to "HOLY poo poo BROTHER" while sipping Miller Lite like nothing happened.

I like the idea of Vampiro's gimmick being "Evil vampire that also dresses up like the lead singer of Rancid whenever he's doing commentary".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Don't forget Mexico City crime-fighter and proud Canadian.

I love when Austin brings up he is a Guardian Angel who has just happily admitted to committing a robbery, and Vampiro's reaction is,"Yeah but the statute of limitations is up! v:shobon:v"

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Call Me Charlie posted:

Demon's big enough and enough of a legend in Mexico to do it. I would say it would have to be one of the three people mentioned - Demon, Alberto, or Chavo (and Chavo really only because he has an executive producer credit). I kind of doubt Chavo though, since he's so involved behind the scenes and hasn't exactly been framed as a powerful force anyway. My initial thought was probably Alberto, he has the pull and the ego for it.

It doesn't really matter though, as with all things Vampiro it's entertaining to think about and there's about a 50/50 chance any of it is true.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I can imagine Hernandez not wanting to job to Pentagon because everyone else on the LU roster is not a complete dingdong

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Alberto would be my guess. He's holding the AAA title and is probably one of those old-school guys who would refuse to job in one promotion while he's champion in another one. I'm betting the Ultima Lucha finish was partly his idea, like "okay, I'll put Johnny over in the match, but let me beat him up afterwards and stand tall to keep my heat"

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

StarkRavingMad posted:

It doesn't really matter though, as with all things Vampiro it's entertaining to think about and there's about a 50/50 chance any of it is true.

Yeah, hearing him talk about the match and LU in general was interesting, but when it was him talking about getting started in Mexico and how every girl in the audience wanted to have sex with him and would keep the heels from attacking him I was rolling my eyes hard.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Benne posted:

Alberto would be my guess. He's holding the AAA title and is probably one of those old-school guys who would refuse to job in one promotion while he's champion in another one. I'm betting the Ultima Lucha finish was partly his idea, like "okay, I'll put Johnny over in the match, but let me beat him up afterwards and stand tall to keep my heat"

And honestly, considering that mostly heels won during the whole show, it was good to give the fans a happy moment.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Mob posted:

I can imagine Hernandez not wanting to job to Pentagon because everyone else on the LU roster is not a complete dingdong

I see what you mean, but Hernandez was willing to job to StarkRavingMad, and I think Pentagon Jr's probably a little higher on the LU pecking order.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Umbra Dubium posted:

I see what you mean, but Hernandez was willing to job to StarkRavingMad, and I think Pentagon Jr's probably a little higher on the LU pecking order.

Just slightly. At the very least, I wouldn't put Pentagon Jr below Drago in terms of crowd reaction and general overness and Hernandez did the job for Drago twice. In fact, according to Chris DeJoseph, the fan strap match angle was Hernandez's idea. When someone proposes a whole angle and gimmick match with the end goal of getting clowned by a bunch of fans and losing, it's hard to imagine he would care about putting over someone like Pentagon Jr.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Grozz Nuy posted:

Yeah, hearing him talk about the match and LU in general was interesting, but when it was him talking about getting started in Mexico and how every girl in the audience wanted to have sex with him and would keep the heels from attacking him I was rolling my eyes hard.

Well to be fair to FlairVampiro, he was a pretty good-looking dude when he was young.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

A good strategy is to never believe a word Vampiro ever says.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

A good strategy is to never believe a word Vampiro ever says.

While this is true, he was INSANELY popular, and lucha fans take poo poo pretty seriously

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I was wondering why the cameras kept cutting to older Hispanic women being really happy whenever Vampiro was in the ring.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I just realized how much sense it makes that Dario, a Spaniard, has a lot of Aztec Gold.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I just realized how much sense it makes that Dario, a Spaniard, has a lot of Aztec Gold.

I hope he comes out next season wearing a conquistador helmet.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Yeah, they're totally aware of that undertone, too. He apparently got nuclear heat when he announced Lucha Underground down in Mexico with his Spanish accent. Like, the actor who plays Dario came backstage afterward a little shocked and said, "somebody just yelled at me that my mother's pussy smells like sour milk," and everyone was like "great, you nailed it."

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I demand a Quetzalcoatl wrestler.

I'd settle for a someone wearing a Xoloitzquintle head.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

They just need to get more Tough Enough contestants. They got what, two of them? And they're both great.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HogX posted:

They just need to get more Tough Enough contestants. They got what, two of them? And they're both great.

Three that I can think of, Son of Havoc, Ivelisse, and Marty the Moth.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

Three that I can think of, Son of Havoc, Ivelisse, and Marty the Moth.

Johnny Mundo was on Tough Enough III. Had no idea what Marty's background was.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh yeah, I kind of wasn't counting Mundo since he actually had a WWE run.

As far Marty, he actually never got eliminated from Tough Enough if I remember, he had some sort of bad injury and had to withdraw from the competition.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 18, 2015

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Marty was my favorite TE contestant that season so I was bummed when he got eliminated, but if that had to happen for this to have happened then I am totally fine with that. The Moth is incredible.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Aw man, just found this clip of Marty having to withdraw due to broken ankle: http://www.wwe.com/videos/tough-enough-after-succumbing-to-a-major-injury-martin-is-forced-out-of-the-comp-25015223

He was so loving heartbroken, it's brutal. Austin let him be the only one to hang up his own belt.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Speaking of Marty, am I correct in assuming that at the end of Ultima Lucha, when he says the thing about meeting his "sister", that he's going to turn the cocooned Sexy Star into an evil moth version of herself?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

super macho dude posted:

Speaking of Marty, am I correct in assuming that at the end of Ultima Lucha, when he says the thing about meeting his "sister", that he's going to turn the cocooned Sexy Star into an evil moth version of herself?

I assumed they are planning to bring in someone new as his equally-crazy sister to torment/feud with Sexy. They've been wanting to expand their women's roster some.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Huh, I guess that makes more sense. I just figured since its LU and they have a literal dragon-man AND a dude who can turn into a star/comet/celestial space sparks, Marty the Moth being able to transform another person by cocooning them in rope (or was it moth silk jizz!? :iiam:) isnt so far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i've lost that lovin feelin for wednesdays

• Locked thread