Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
:supaburn:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-we-dont-believe-aots-benchmark-a-good-indicator-of-dx12-performance/

tread lightly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Time to build Pascal for DX12!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

We're also gonna be kind of stuck with DX11 for most games for at least three more years

I think the lack of ROPs is the big bottleneck for Fury, and the fact that the Nano miiiiiiight be very close to both the Fury Pro and X in terms of at least DX11 performance and the fact that they priced it lower than either of those is probably why we're not hearing much about it yet.

I mean, I get that DX12 is Windows 10 exclusive, but would it be that time consuming for people to make a toggle to go between DX11 and DX12 for the same game?

Also, isn't DX12 supposed to work very soon for Xbox One? Wouldn't developers want/need to take advantage of that right away for the performance gains? That'd make things ported to PC be ready to go at least.

It's okay, Nvidia says they have the "upmost" confidence.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 17, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, I get that DX12 is Windows 10 exclusive, but would it be that time consuming for people to make a toggle to go between DX11 and DX12 for the same game?

Also, isn't DX12 supposed to work very soon for Xbox One? Wouldn't developers want/need to take advantage of that right away for the performance gains? That'd make things ported to PC be ready to go at least.
The engine developers have to code for DX12 first. Which isn't going to be happening soon enough since it takes years to train engine programmers for a new API +(I guess not) resistance to adoption to a new OS stays strong for about 2-3 years.

XBox One and PS4 being x86 and mostly similar in specs other than OS was supposed to take care of that, but that didn't pan out so well apparently, as companies still contract out PC ports because there isn't really a very good direct-to-device API for most PCs and the OSes they have installed right now. People would be fairly gungho about upgrading to Windows 10 if it didn't have even a single questionable issue. Though this is a lot cleaner than the windows 8 launch, all things considered.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 17, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it takes years to train engine programmers for a new API

That's a pretty harsh indictment of engine programmers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Screw the benchmark numbers, is that a new Supcom-looking game I see?!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Not gonna happen. AMD is seeing such improvements because their DX11-and-prior implementations were hot garbage. NVIDIA, having already built decent drivers, is not going to see anywhere near the same improvements. Like OK maybe they go from 10% gain to 20% gain or something, whereas AMD is doubling in this game.

Those AMD drivers must be just mindblowingly bad. I suppose that's the same crack team of coders who will be cutting VRAM usage? :laugh:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 18, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not gonna happen. AMD is seeing such improvements because their DX11-and-prior implementations were hot garbage. NVIDIA, having already built decent drivers, is not going to see anywhere near the same improvements. Like OK maybe they go from 10% gain to 20% gain or something, whereas AMD is doubling in many circumstances.

Those AMD drivers must be just mindblowingly bad. I suppose that's the same crack team of coders who will be cutting VRAM usage? :laugh:

This still makes me wonder if AMD older cards were actually better than Nvidia counterparts and that it's just been poo poo drivers this entire time holding AMD back.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Gwaihir posted:

Screw the benchmark numbers, is that a new Supcom-looking game I see?!

If there's no rate-based economy, I don't want it :colbert:

Yes, "SupCom2" I'm looking at you :commissar:

FaustianQ posted:

This still makes me wonder if AMD older cards were actually better than Nvidia counterparts and that it's just been poo poo drivers this entire time holding AMD back.
The funny thing is there was a time when AMD (well, ATi at the time) was the "elegant" technical solution, while NVidia got by via brute force and little else.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FaustianQ posted:

Well, a 390X is a 290X with more memory, which makes absolutely no difference in this scenario. Since a 390X is now beating a GTX 980, I'm going to have to go with "yes". AMD has always been quite a bit higher on the raw specs (except for a few things like tesselation), they just failed to translate that into actual performance, except for stuff like GPGPU compute.

That said, a sample size of one game on a recently-released API does not mean NVIDIA's reign of terror is over.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 18, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Paul MaudDib posted:

Well, a 390X is a 290X with more memory, which makes absolutely no difference in this scenario. Since a 390X is now beating a GTX 980, I'm going to have to go with "yes". AMD has always been quite a bit higher on the raw specs (except for a few things like tesselation), they just failed to translate that into actual performance, except for stuff like GPGPU compute.

That said, a sample size of one game on a recently-released API does not mean NVIDIA's reign of terror is over.

While that's true, it's still a little silver lining for AMD - they at least realize it was the driver/software piece causing performance issues and have devs to fix it. Just sucks that it's taken so long for them to get their act together, if they'd done this like 3-4 years ago they could still have a good share of the market (and maybe not have lost as much money). All speculation but it's nice to wonder how things would have panned out...

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
ahh I wouldnt ... put too much on this yet lol

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Isn't this the guy who released bees in the office after finding out an employee was allergic

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Wait, what? I'd never heard the allergic employee thing, but yes, he does keep bees.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Isn't this the guy who released bees in the office after finding out an employee was allergic

Lmao if true

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

If you're talking Wardell, yeah. The sexual harassment suit against him showed how fun Stardock must be to work for. Dude is also crazily invested in Gamergate crap on his twitter unsurprisingly.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you're talking Wardell, yeah. The sexual harassment suit against him showed how fun Stardock must be to work for. Dude is also crazily invested in Gamergate crap on his twitter unsurprisingly.

:barf: I've found a human being that can make me side with Nvidia.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

As well as release a very powerful ozone killer

Nah, it'll probably be butane. CFCs have only been used in extremely restricted circumstances for the last few decades. Thank goodness, too, since CFCs have to be some of the worst poo poo around: relentlessly destroying our protection against the sun is a loving awful consequence.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

If you're talking Wardell, yeah. The sexual harassment suit against him showed how fun Stardock must be to work for.

The lawsuit that was dismissed and that the plaintiff apologised for? That lawsuit? Or was there another one?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Him being a gamergater is totally unsurprising considering he's been a shithead about politics in public since well before that became a thing.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Sulman posted:

The lawsuit that was dismissed and that the plaintiff apologised for? That lawsuit? Or was there another one?
http://kotaku.com/stardock-lawsuits-dropped-ex-employee-apologizes-1377925759
The apology was required by the settlement and he sued her after she filed the lawsuit.
So, sure, she could have been lying and the apology was genuine. Ooooor she couldn't afford to fight Wardell in court.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Good news for AMD is that their DX12 drivers appear to be as good as nVidia's. Bad news for AMD is that Fury X's still don't exist at retail apparently, checked newegg and there's 1 Fury and no Fury X's in stock, Amazon doesn't seem to have any Fury X's either. Holy hell the yields must be awful.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:Please don't leak gamergate poo poo into this or any other thread:siren:

I think the worst thread on the forums might still be in GBS if you want to make lovely posts about who is right. Turns out it's gone forever, so don't post one!

Alereon fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 18, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Good news for AMD is that their DX12 drivers appear to be as good as nVidia's. Bad news for AMD is that Fury X's still don't exist at retail apparently, checked newegg and there's 1 Fury and no Fury X's in stock, Amazon doesn't seem to have any Fury X's either. Holy hell the yields must be awful.

I've checked periodically (not sure why) and I've never once seem X's in stock other than the day of release

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So if I decide I don't like the pump noise on these hybrid coolers, what are my other cooling options for reference 980 Tis? In hindsight I'm wishing I'd got the MSIs and not worried too much about open-air being a problem for SLI, but here we are.

E: they're Ti, not 980

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 18, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Subjunctive posted:

So if I decide I don't like the pump noise on these hybrid coolers, what are my other cooling options for reference 980s? In hindsight I'm wishing I'd got the MSIs and not worried too much about open-air being a problem for SLI, but here we are.

I'll trade you my MSI 980ti cooler for your hybrid cooler.

:)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'll trade you my MSI 980ti cooler for your hybrid cooler.

:)

If they were modular like that, and you had two, I'd totally be up for it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Ah drat looks like the mounting holes are different... oh well

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Ah drat looks like the mounting holes are different... oh well

Yeah, I actually have 980 Tis (miswrote above), but reference 980/Ti/X are all the same AFAICT.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I actually have 980 Tis (miswrote above), but reference 980/Ti/X are all the same AFAICT.

I was totally down and im sure you'd have little trouble finding another one, if they fit... which I dont think it would (not with the shroud and all)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Subjunctive posted:

So if I decide I don't like the pump noise on these hybrid coolers, what are my other cooling options for reference 980 Tis? In hindsight I'm wishing I'd got the MSIs and not worried too much about open-air being a problem for SLI, but here we are.

Corsair is making a hybrid kit

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-hg10-n980-gpu-liquid-cooling-bracket

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
And the G10 bracket has apparently always fit, so if those pumps are indeed inherently noisy you can just buy another AIO I suppose.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Quite frankly your best option is to simply sell them on eBay and re-buy air-cooled ones. Finding an air-cooled module to slap on there is going to be a pain in the rear end, and/or will be rather expensive (like the $100 replacement HSF sets you could get for the 290X).

Another option is to simply replace the pump portion with a different AIO: as the 980 kits will apparently still fit a 980Ti, you can grab something like the G10/HG10 and an AIO of your choice. Sell the hybrid portion to finance it (they go for ~$100 on eBay).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DrDork posted:

Quite frankly your best option is to simply sell them on eBay and re-buy air-cooled ones. Finding an air-cooled module to slap on there is going to be a pain in the rear end, and/or will be rather expensive (like the $100 replacement HSF sets you could get for the 290X).

Another option is to simply replace the pump portion with a different AIO: as the 980 kits will apparently still fit a 980Ti, you can grab something like the G10/HG10 and an AIO of your choice. Sell the hybrid portion to finance it (they go for ~$100 on eBay).

Yeah, I guess I'm worried that the noise floor of hybrids in general will be too high, given that the rads will be mounted on the front of the case and the computer sits on my desk. I'll see how it goes with one of them and then decide what to do. Would the Corsair ones really be much quieter than the EVGA ones? (Would it be better to :pcgaming: out and get the EK parts to cool both GPUs and the CPU off one loop, in terms of minimizing pump noise?)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Where the rads are shouldn't matter if it's pump noise that's bothering you, since the pump is combined with the block in AIO's, rather than with the radiator (usually, anyhow).

I've never heard the EVGA pumps myself, but I know the H110 I've played around with is near dead silent, and the Quiet Edition H55's are pretty well respected for their noise profile, too. If you've got a Fry's or MicroCenter around you, it might be worth wandering on over and seeing if they have any floor/demo models that you can try to listen to and see if it meets your needs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DrDork posted:

Where the rads are shouldn't matter if it's pump noise that's bothering you.

I've never heard the EVGA pumps myself, but I know the H110 I've played around with is near dead silent, and the Quiet Edition H55's are pretty well respected for their noise profile, too. If you've got a Fry's or MicroCenter around you, it might be worth wandering on over and seeing if they have any floor/demo models that you can try to listen to and see if it meets your needs.

If I understand the AIO correctly the pump is by the rad, but maybe I'm not understanding that correctly! I thought that the only part on the card was the exchanger.

I'll hit Fry's on the way home if I remember and see if they have anything that I can distinguish, that's a good idea. (Loud store I guess, but still should be informative.)

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The pump is in the heatsink for all AIO water cooling solutions.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thank you, that is very helpful to know.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SlayVus posted:

The pump is in the heatsink for all AIO water cooling solutions.

...did you mean "in the water block"? Because even that's not true. Swiftech's AIOs have it built into the reservoir hanging off the radiator.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...did you mean "in the water block"? Because even that's not true. Swiftech's AIOs have it built into the reservoir hanging off the radiator.

There are a few special snowflakes, but AFAIK all of Corsair and NZXT's AIO's use combined pump/water blocks, as does EVGA's hybrid kit.