Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk

ogopogo posted:

I don't know if there are any knock-off's, but I bought one a few months back. It's cool, definitely requires some tweaking and work to get it a party useable status. It's hard to maintain temp after one or two pizzas, and requires more fuel and waiting to wait for it to rise back up to 700+ degrees. That said, the first couple pies when it is really going hot do come out great. If you don't want to spend the money, it's basically a spring steel form with a hole cut out to slide pizzas in. It's well made and works though, and the dudes who make them are nice.
I also have the original Uuni, which works decently, but I'm kinda of customizing that oven as test bed for some ideas to get it hotter than my KettlePizza. The Uuni 2 looks cool, but not sure if I need two of them...tempted to get one to see how much better it works than the original version.
Between the KP, Uuni, and a good stone inside my conventional oven - it's really a toss up to how much work you want to put into the cooking element of your pizza night. Conventional oven with a stone is simple and works consistently. KP and Uuni are more finicky, and take careful fuel planning to really get going well. But they're wood fired and do make the pizzas taste amazing, especially the KP because you can hickory/cherry hardwoods for the fire and get some really delicious flavors going, as well as awesome flame made char on the pie.

I have a problem, and am about to drop $700 on a portable stone dome pizza oven made by these guys - http://pizzapartyshop.com/index.php?id_product=15&controller=product&id_lang=2
Once I have a house and a backyard I'll become a true crazy person and build a massive gently caress off oven but for now this will work for my apartment patio.

Dough is on the rise for a week of pizza making.

Maybe I should just invest in a good baking steel for now then. I usually do just use my stone, but I've been grilling a lot lately. How do you think the KP would do with just coal? We went to a coal-fired pizza place in Chicago a couple weeks ago and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Pizza Club posted:

Maybe I should just invest in a good baking steel for now then. I usually do just use my stone, but I've been grilling a lot lately. How do you think the KP would do with just coal? We went to a coal-fired pizza place in Chicago a couple weeks ago and it was great.

It's recommended you use coal and hardwood combined with the KP in order to heat to the max temp. I suggest that you use larger chunks of hardwood if you can fit them, the smaller chunk wood tends to burn down too fast, and don't make for great coal buildup.

I usually do a starter chimney stack full of standard charcoal, and after they've lit and you've dumped them into a pile on the back rim of the grill - wait till they get to just the start of being ashy hot coals, then add your hardwood and let them start up. Now you can put the KP on and start letting the dome come up to temperature. Really let it heat up - 15 mins at least. I find the dome height is maybe a little too high? But I'm working on a solution for that.

That said, I have used a baking steel in my KP and once that thing gets hot it will incinerate the bottom of your pizza before it has a chance to cook on top. My hasty solution after the first time I carbonized the bottom of the first pizza was to cook the top of the pizza on top of a separate pan or peel, then slide it onto the steel for 5-10 seconds to cook. It was a little janky but the crust was terrific for sure.

This afternoon I'm going to try something with my KP - instead of building the fire in the bottom, I'm going to cover the top grate insert and build the fire up high and close to the dome, on the same surface as the pizza will be cooked on. My pizzas are small as it is, so space shouldn't be an issue. With the the dome height issue from before, I think this will allow for a much more direct heat on both the top and bottom. Hoping it goes well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you have a steel just put that above the stone with your regular grate and let that radiate heat down. It should get hotter than the stone as long as your coals are not concentrated right under the stone.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Pretty successful night.

Getting the fire going. Heat was much more focused and even with the heat source in closer proximity to the dome. Lots of heat loss around the rim, and through lack of thermal mass in the spring steel form. Trying to think of a way to bolster that. I live in an apartment and have limited space to really do anything.

Little guy to start - San Marzano tomato sauce slow stewed all afternoon with basil and garlic, and buffalo mozzarella.

Turned out to be a perfect little hand pie - think I'm going to make these in quantity for my next pizza party. Easy to eat with one hand in a napkin.

Finally, the big boy. Cooked up really well - super happy. Probably in the top 3 pizzas I've made over the last 7 years. Happy to be getting closer to good, hot heat. Dreaming of a bigger oven...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Put your old grate on top and use bricks or your steel protected by some foil (to avoid soot) to act as a top radiator. They sell a fitted steel as well.

Actually dunno about the foil.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Dialing in my old recipe for a new flour. Old was Pilsbury high gluten flour, new is Gold's better for bread flour. This was 58% hydration which was too low. I'm going to bump it back up to 60% and take out the oil to help with over slackness.

It's a shame my new oven doesnt get nearly as hot as my old oven though. Old one went to 550 and was calibrated low so it was probably 575+. This one only goes to 500 and may be accurate, not sure. But theres definitely a noticeable difference.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Still looks like it came out pretty damned well!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Went full FrankenPizza oven, but turned out some of the best pizzas I've ever made. Easily hitting 900 degrees in the oven now. Fuckers cook really fast, have to isolate the fire a little more to avoid instant torching. Still, it was tasty char. These were all done on the road, traveling from a few different towns to see friends and family over a weekend. Table, grill, and tub full of pizza stuff and I'm mobile.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Is that the Jumbo Joe, or the smaller original Smokey Joe?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

ogopogo posted:

Went full FrankenPizza oven, but turned out some of the best pizzas I've ever made. Easily hitting 900 degrees in the oven now. Fuckers cook really fast, have to isolate the fire a little more to avoid instant torching. Still, it was tasty char. These were all done on the road, traveling from a few different towns to see friends and family over a weekend. Table, grill, and tub full of pizza stuff and I'm mobile.

Welcome to the 900 degree club! :smug:

That looks really tasty, even with the char.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

niss posted:

Is that the Jumbo Joe, or the smaller original Smokey Joe?

It's the smaller one, I believe - the 15" size. Because that KettlePizza can actually expand to the full 22" size, I'm tempted to get (yet another) grill so that I can have some space in the oven. The aluminum foil shielding...not sure how to modify that to be more permanent. FrankenOven will eat foil until I get an actual brick oven.

Regardless, super pumped to have an awesome combo of wood fire heat and flavor. The stone/steel combo seems to work - the two together cover up the entire grate so the heat is really isolated to the dome area, helps a ton. I'm gonna try to fab up a small wall to build the fire behind, just something to retain the logs and move the flames more up and out rather than right onto the dough. While fun, it meant a pretty constant amount of spinning and even then it was the difference of a few seconds from looking close to perfect and carbon incineration. Still, the pizzas disappeared into happy mouths of friends, so that's all I can ask for :)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Yesterday I started a no-knead dough destined for pizza tomorrow. I came home from work and was supposed to throw it in the fridge, but instead I drank a few glasses of single malt and went to sleep. It's in the fridge now, but it spent a good 21 hours between 71ºF - 75ºF.

Will the dough be alright? Should I make a backup batch?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Waste not, want not- make dat pizza even with overdeveloped gluten potentially, and take notes about what happened.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Will report tomorrow!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

angor posted:

Yesterday I started a no-knead dough destined for pizza tomorrow. I came home from work and was supposed to throw it in the fridge, but instead I drank a few glasses of single malt and went to sleep. It's in the fridge now, but it spent a good 21 hours between 71ºF - 75ºF.

Will the dough be alright? Should I make a backup batch?

Theoretically it should be like beer or wine where the yeast overpowers other bacteria that could make you sick. But without controlled conditions there is no way to be sure it wont make you sick.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Quick one tonight, more tomorrow.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I haven't booted up the oven in a while here because it has been so hot but I did so last night. Two ZZZZZaahs.

Artichoke, sundried tomato, garlic, and mushroom

Crust. I may try it a little lower in the oven next time.

Olives, sundried tomato, garlic, and mushroom.

I forgot I had a garden full of fresh basil : [

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I did a successful pizza tonight for the first time in a while. had issues sticking for the longest time.

this time I just said gently caress it and put about a cup and a half of semolina down on my wooden cutting board, before even attempting to work with the dough. coated the dough top and bottom. was able to toss it to diameter successfully, and put it down on my very heavily semolina'd peel for assembly.

took probably 4-5 minutes to assemble, and it thankfully didn't stick! kept its shape in the oven, and I had a pizza pretty close to perfect. this, contrasting with the past 4-5 times I've tried, didn't flour or semolina anything nearly enough, and ended up dumping a misshapen mass of poo poo all over my oven.

biggest lesson learned - it's ok to semolina both sides of the dough, and semolina to excess. I tasted it a little in the end product, and you could brush excess off the finished crust - but it was nothing that bothered me or tasted bad.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I made some 'za for some hungover party people based on an unforgettable experience I had at Motorino in NYC a month or two ago. It had pecorino, brussel sprouts, and pancetta, flor di latte. But I also had a brunch pizza, so I combined the ideas and added some turned eggs and fresh garlic. Olive oil only instead of any sauce.

The second is a ripoff of Antico Pizza Di Napoletana's pomodorini pizza. Just some sweet cherry tomatoes, basil, bufala, garlic, truffle oil with a little brush of San Marzano DOP sauce underneath, cracked pepper and sea salt.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Definitely stealing that breakfast pizza idea! I might pre-roast the brussel sprouts so they're nice and crispy.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

That's a great idea, I love those roasted edges. The pancetta I found was raw, so I sautéed it In a cast iron skilled, used the fat to sauté the brussel sprouts with some red pepper flakes. While not super crispy, at least delicious.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I finally got myself a baking steel, because pizza owns and anything that makes better pizza is money well spent.

I did sausage, pesto, fresh mozz, goat cheese, and olive oil first and it came out god damned amazing, even with lazy not very good store bought dough, preheated to 550 then broiler on high for 5 minutes:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

I finally got myself a baking steel, because pizza owns and anything that makes better pizza is money well spent.

I did sausage, pesto, fresh mozz, goat cheese, and olive oil first and it came out god damned amazing, even with lazy not very good store bought dough, preheated to 550 then broiler on high for 5 minutes:

That looks really, really good, and quite impressive for a first effort. Nice work!

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Got a new oven recently and I4m having pizza issues.

The OP says to

quote:

Set your oven as high as it goes, and preheat for at least 45 minutes.

I tried that today with a pizza stone in the middle, on the setting where the symbol is a straight line near the top and one near the bottom.

The pizza top was a decent light brown but the bottom was white (although crispy and bubbly).

Shoud I use the broiler or broiler + fan symbol instead, or wait more than 45min, or place the pizza more near the top or bottom ?

I miss my old gas oven that went to 650 but I'm really glad I didn't put my house on fire. This is what we found when it came out.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Spatule posted:

I tried that today with a pizza stone in the middle, on the setting where the symbol is a straight line near the top and one near the bottom.

What does this mean? Can you take a photo? What the OP is saying is basically "If your oven goes to 550, set it to 550 and allow it to preheat for 45 minute"...not sure what you're describing you set your oven to.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Top rack allows better cooking from the radiant heat on the top regardless of broiler. Doubt that's your issue though as I have no idea what your symbol is. My best guess is that it isn't "hottest" as that'd be a really dumb thing to have as a symbol for hottest. Are you using a toaster oven?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

The Midniter posted:

What does this mean? Can you take a photo? What the OP is saying is basically "If your oven goes to 550, set it to 550 and allow it to preheat for 45 minute"...not sure what you're describing you set your oven to.

Temperature and heating mode are two spearate control knobs. I put the temp as high as it goes, and then I used the yellow symbol as below for the mode:

Wiggly line is broiler, wiggly line + fan is broiler and some kind of fan in the back. Not sure what yellow one is, it's just the one that usually gives me even heat and is recommended in the oven manual for pizza.

Spatule fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 22, 2015

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Mr. Wookums posted:

Top rack allows better cooking from the radiant heat on the top regardless of broiler. Doubt that's your issue though as I have no idea what your symbol is. My best guess is that it isn't "hottest" as that'd be a really dumb thing to have as a symbol for hottest. Are you using a toaster oven?

It's a normal built-in oven. The symbols are the heating modes, not the temperature, which is why I'm not sure what to to given the OP's instructions.
Food will burn to ashes in under 2 minutes if I put the broiler and use the top rack, so it's probably not the solution either.
Maybe euro ovens are different from US ones ? I know Japanese ones look nothing like ours and are like super high end toaster ovens for example.

edit: gently caress this fancy poo poo, my old oven just ghad 2 settings and cooked everything just fine. Go gas.

Spatule fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 22, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

From the picture above, you're good to preheat on your selected. The straight line signify baking heat (element on until x degrees) while the squiggles are broiler which will be on until the oven's max broil temp. About 5-10 minutes before putting in the pie, I'd change to the bottom right option to get an extra blast with the broiler on. The fan just turns on convection, which will not help the bottom crust.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What's everyone's go to recipe for a pizza sauce?

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

nwin posted:

IMO as long as you have good canned tomatoes that actually taste like tomatoes, almost everything else in a pizza sauce recipe is negotiable.

Personally I usually just end up making an un-cooked sauce of pureed tomatoes, honey, garlic, basil, salt, black pepper, and a little crushed red pepper.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

nwin posted:

nmfree posted:

I'm sure this will offend pizza purists, but I make Alton's All-purpose Pantry Tomato Sauce, run it through the blender long enough to make it extra smooth, and freeze 2 cup portions in quart-sized Ziplok Bags.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
The last few times I've made pizza I've had EXCELLENT results using a no-knead recipe. I mix, let rest 12-18 hours on the counter, fridge for a day or so, shape, and bench proof until no longer cold. Last time I skipped the fridge altogether and just went with a 15hr rise, shaped, 1hr bench proof.

I know the long rise is when the gluten formation happens, but I don't think it's enough as I'm still having slight issues with tearing. What's the best way to build up the gluten with this method? Should I knead for a few minutes before the long rest? Knead for a few minutes halfway through? Add vital wheat gluten to the flour? Here's my recipe:

600g all purpose flour
420g water
5g yeast
14g salt

I'm also thinking of adding a bit of oil this time to help with colour.

Edit: Can't bring this thread back from the dead without pics!
This was from last time:

angor fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 1, 2015

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Try a few stretch and folds during the bulk rise. Just get your hands wet, pick up a corner and pull up, then plunge back into the center, do the same on the other side, then the two opposite corners.

This is the method advocated by Chad Robertson in Tartine and I've had good results with my bread. Same technique should help develop gluten for pizza as well. I typically do a stretch and fold every 30 minutes or so during a 3 hour bulk rise for a total of 6 iterations before shaping and final proof.

Your pizza looks great by the way.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

nwin posted:

I use this one only with far less honey because seriously that must be an error. Uncooked paste-based and convenient, but if you're not using it all at once it tends to gel up in the fridge overnight.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I've been using the Modernist dough and sauce recipes lately.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/neapolitan-pizza-dough/

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/classic-pizza-sauce-recipe/

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005
I really like Kenji's NY-style pizza dough and have used that the past couple times I've made pizza. I'll probably try something different next time though. I'm leaning towards using either the whole wheat version of MC@H's rustic pizza dough or just using Tartine's basic country loaf.

edit: Misread the question. For sauce I'll either make a basic tomato and garlic sauce or, if I'm feeling lazy, something store bought like Rao's.

Souffle fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 6, 2015

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

nwin posted:

Olive oil, garlic, tomatoes and fish sauce. The last ingredient is the most important one.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Oae Ui posted:

Olive oil, garlic, tomatoes and fish sauce. The last ingredient is the most important one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
About these pizza steels, are they any special type of steel? What I'm wondering is, why not just get myself to the junk yard and buy some 12mm (1/2") plate steel, carbon or stainless, for 1-3 euros a kilo and cut it to a suitable size and polish it up?