Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Taffer posted:

NEI should tell you all the steps required for crafting. You need to make an inscriber first, and it's a loving pain. Each processor has 3 steps: circuits, silicon, and combination. There are 3 types of processors, gold, quartz, and diamond, and each kind requires a different press for the circuit step. The dick-punchy part of this is that nothing can stack in the inscriber which means you have to put in all the items required for all 3 steps of every single processor individually, every single time. And then to make matters worse, for the quartz processor you can't just use quartz, you have to use pure quartz, which needs to be grown, which either a) takes literal weeks or b) makes you craft a bunch of growth accelerators and use a bunch of power to speed it up. The resources to make those and power them are really scarce in Blighfall however, so have fun with that. It's possible to automate the inscribers, but it requires a lot of additional components so you need to go through these steps a whole bunch of times.

AE is a fantastic mod conceptually, and the new features it brought in with AE2 are really cool. But the setup and crafting without custom recipes is loving awful and an exercise in masochism.

Anyway, now that that's out of the way, setting up a system is easily, you need 5 things:

1) ME Drive. This is where the storage cells go.
2) ME storage cells. They come in 1k, 4k, 16k, and 64k varieties. Each cell holds 63 item types, and each additional type takes a chunk of its storage space, while additional items of the same type take almost very little. Simply put, lots of single items is a little wasteful when you're limited on cells, and higher numbers of the same item stores more efficiently. You'll definitely want to start out with 1k's.
3) Terminal. This is how you see everything in the system, I recommend upgrading this to a crafting terminal because it's divine, once all your storage is in there you'll just have to do the NEI shift click trick and you'll never lay out a recipe ever again.
4) A single ME cable. The terminal has to attach to this.
5) An energy acceptor. This is where your power will come in. You can also use a controller for this but you won't want to start out with one of those because they suck a lot of power.

For basic storage, that's it. There's a lot more capability and complexity once you get into automation and a large sprawling system, I can make another effort post about that if you want.

Awesome, thanks! If you'd be up for writing it, I'd be up for reading it, but don't feel obliged by any means.

What are you guys doing for power generation? Botania definitely looks like the only way to generate a reliably supply of power

Ciaphas posted:

Actually, if it weren't for the digital essentia thing of Thaumic Energistics I'd skip AE entirely for Blightfall, I think. I finished reorganizing and consolidating all my crap, after setting up the initial SkyBaseŽ platform, and I only had like three double-chests worth of crap. Nothing like all THAT much, I just needed to organize it.

Now I'm pondering what a not-poo poo thaumcraft base without Thaumic Energistics looks like, essentia jars and all.

The setup a friend of mine and I did was to have an essentia crystallizer for every type of essentia feeding into a bunch of chests. Took like a hundred balanced shards, but looked really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
You may as well requisition and throw together the basic 3x3x3 reactorcube and chuck any yellorium you find into it. It won't generate nearly as much power per yellorium as a fully :spergin:'d out reactor, but you've said previously you don't want to gently caress with that stuff and the basic reactorcube will merrily chug away generating a steady supply of power for you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Magres posted:

Awesome, thanks! If you'd be up for writing it, I'd be up for reading it, but don't feel obliged by any means.

What are you guys doing for power generation? Botania definitely looks like the only way to generate a reliably supply of power

The setup a friend of mine and I did was to have an essentia crystallizer for every type of essentia feeding into a bunch of chests. Took like a hundred balanced shards, but looked really cool

One thing I never got, what do you do with the essentia crystals to use them? Feed them back into the alchemical furnace?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

One thing I never got, what do you do with the essentia crystals to use them? Feed them back into the alchemical furnace?

Yep, we had "take things apart" and "put things together" rooms with golems manning them because golems can carry single points of essentia. Feed in the right number of crystals to the crafting furnace, the golem hauls it over to the super crucible, and you get exactly the right number of essentia.

It took a ton of work but we were so happy we managed to break the rule of eight.

Of course, the next day my friend discovered AE2 and ME and promptly replaced the entire thing with an essentia bus that did it way better :v:

E: God be praised I got a rubber sapling. Just keep requisitioning saplings until I got one

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 18, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

they really shine in crucible recipes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

they really shine in crucible recipes

One of the first things I did was put together the advanced alchemy thingy, which needs liquid to work. Guess I could take it apart and use crystals instead, but since I'd need to liquefy them for infusion ANYWAY... :shrug:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Threep posted:

If you're okay with adding mods to Blightfall, AE2Stuff has an inscriber that is much less annoying to use, a crystal growth chamber that you can use instead of water crafting and in the alpha version, a wireless ME connector for use over short distances and this crazy visualization aid:

What the gently caress even is that visual of?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I think it tells you what channels everything is on so you can figure out what the gently caress is going on in complex AE2 networks

E: vvv that makes more sense

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think the numbers are the number of channels being occupied by each cable block, but beyond that? :shrug:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

Honestly, for Blightfall you'll probably never go beyond basic storage. I haven't yet and I'm a big nerd about AE who loves setting up big systems. The resource shortage combined with the lack of a reliable source of decent power makes it hard to go big, and the lack of custom recipes forcing you to use the inscriber makes it a huge hassle. But it's definitely worth the effort to set up a basic system, because moving beyond chests is simply fantastic.

For power I'm just using the reactor you can request and the yellorium I find. It's enough for the basics, but definitely not near enough to set up anything big. Even running a harvester and cooking the logs into charcoal for botania mana puts me at a power loss.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Taffer posted:

Honestly, for Blightfall you'll probably never go beyond basic storage. I haven't yet and I'm a big nerd about AE who loves setting up big systems. The resource shortage combined with the lack of a reliable source of decent power makes it hard to go big, and the lack of custom recipes forcing you to use the inscriber makes it a huge hassle. But it's definitely worth the effort to set up a basic system, because moving beyond chests is simply fantastic.

For power I'm just using the reactor you can request and the yellorium I find. It's enough for the basics, but definitely not near enough to set up anything big. Even running a harvester and cooking the logs into charcoal for botania mana puts me at a power loss.

You can offload the harvester and furnace costs by using golems to run the farm and (I think, haven't tested) an Infernal Furnace to smelt the wood into charcoal.

E: Yeah people are pissing and moaning on some forums about how using the infernal furnace is better than traditional furnaces for charcoal farm and how it's OP and that the only thing that's fun is working in the salt mines all day long, so you can cook wood with an infernal furnace. Cost free charcoal production! It just takes Thaumcraft -> Botania -> MFR/TE to make RF. I kind of enjoy how ludicrous the chain of tech to generate RF reliably is, but it's probably overkill.

In happier news, once you get some rubber, automating milk bottle production is piss easy and I'm now enjoy carpal tunnel free Sano. The Engineer quests point you to it nicely, just takes a fluid transposer and an MFR Rancher - I'd recommend also upgrading your energy cell to Hardened or better, personally, or your rep:RF conversion is atrocious

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 18, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Taffer posted:

you could have golems plant trees, chop, collect, and drop the logs into an infernal furnace, then carry the resulting charcoal to your drop crates.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wow, Essentia Crystallizers are... not fast. Does more Tera CV make them go faster or does any amount of Tera put them at maximum "speed"?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
You can automate the Inscriber with hoppers. Just rotate it once so it's on its side. You'll still need to swap out the press when you need to make something different, unless you make four inscribers, but otherwise you can put stacks of items in the hoppers feeding it/taking things out.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Daaamn, automating Sano really changed the chokepoint on my ethereal bloom production from sano to vitium. Hrm, how can I automate vitium. Might have to experiment with a tainted tree surrounded in a shitload of ethereal blooms. Or start upgraded to Dawn Totems!

Magres fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 18, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

Daaamn, automating Sano really changed the chokepoint on my ethereal bloom production from sano to vitium. Hrm, how can I automate vitium

Tainted tree farm, I assume. Get a tainted sapling, set it in front of a MFR harvester or a lumberjack golem, feed the fruit into a furnace to get vitium. ...you might also be able to farm tainted chickens with an egg reactor and something to move extra chickens with. Two chronotypers would do it... or just have like 16 chickens sending eggs off to a dispenser and only ONE chronotyper moving adults into taint. The euclidaisy can give you tainted wispy essence sometimes of course. You could dump a few stacks of cobble into a crucible in a large pit and slaughter the horde of thaumic slimes... That's not exactly automated but you can get a lot all at once.

There are a lot of ways to get vitium!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The cobble crucible thunderdome is definitely my favorite idea. What it lacks in automation it more than makes up for in bloody mayhem, and I have A) the perfect sword for it and B) the perfect spot for it.

E: Bleh, five stacks of cobble later, no slimes :(

To the forest I go! Dissolve a tree's worth of crusted taint, slaughter slime horde, repeat. Clean up the land and get myself vitium at the same time!

Holy crap I love my Sword of the Zephyr so, so much. I dissolved multiple former Greatwoods at the same time and let all of the poo poo just pile up and come at me. 40+ Slime horde lead by a 100 HP king thaumic slime, gave em all the tornado sword :black101:

Aaaand that's 30 vials of Vitium. Enough for a start!

There's a part of me that's tempted to let the Redwood get corrupted just so I can dissolve it all with a purification focus and fight the ensuing slime horde.

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 18, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wow okay nevermind this essentia crystallization business, I'm going back to thaumic energistics. :mad:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
So that worked beautifully. I ran north from Biodome Beta to the jungle and just started dissolving trees with the purification focus and hack and slashing my way through the ensuing hordes of slimes and got 40 phials of Vitium (ie 100+ Tainted Goo drops) in about 25 minutes

Quickguide to making it work, in the form of things you want/need:

AOE damage - I did it with a heavily enchanted Sword of the Zephyr and recommend it highly, it's really fun to get in and mix it up with the tornado sword. You need it heavily enchanted though (mostly for Vampirism)
Liquid Flux cleanup - only way I know of is the Shovel of the Purifier, after slimes have stopped spawning you don't want that crap everywhere, rightclick with the Shovel and it'll clean a huge swath of all liquid flux
Armor - obvious, you get hit a lot
Mobility - specifically, a good way to get up in the air, you want to be submitting tainted goos as you go and the easiest way that I found was to leap into the air (I run Boots of the Traveler and Ascent Boost 2 on my leggings, lets me jump about 8 blocks into the air), open my HQM book, and hit submit. Land, jump again, claim, submit.

Cleaning up the aftermath is optional, as is the superjumps for submitting Tainted Goo mid-fight, but you really, really need the AOE and the armor, cause you wind up fighting like 20+ slimes at a time if you dissolve the big trees and you'll get hit a lot. You might be able to manage with a Chain Lightning Shock Focus and enough Vis, but imo it's more fun to get in there and chop things to bits. Just watch out for the 100 HP super slimes that can happen, I bumped one of them during its dying animation and it oneshot me from full HP through a full set of enchanted Thaumium (ie iron grade) armor.

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 18, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone lay out the Blightfall Spawn locations from Easiest -> Hardest and some good starter tips.

(Blightfall might need it's own thread, lol.)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It's probably Delta/Beta -> Alpha -> Gamma/Epsilon -> Omega from easiest to hardest. It's intended to be Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Omega but Beta and Delta give you easy access to water, which is the best way to get around, so they get bonus points over Alpha for that.

Starting off is the usual survival stuff (if you're playing solo, edit your config file for SpiceOfLife and lower the hunger history unless you really, really like farming and cooking, the hunger history is super long), and after that the mod largely centers around Thaumcraft. If you check my post history in thread, I wrote a trio of effortposts about the very basics of Thaumcraft, setting up Thaumcraft to be fun through centi-vis tech (means you don't have to wander the world to get vis, which is what you use to do fun wand stuff), and on Infusion, which is how you make most of the cool gizmos the mod has to offer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

With an essentia export bus, how do I actually pick out what type to export into whatever its attached to (a warded jar in my case)? I can right click on the thing but I don't know what the hell to actually put in the gui.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Right, but how do I host the server? I have no idea what I'm doing here.

Run the server .bat in the Blightfall server download. Have hamachi on. Give your friends the IPv4. Direct connect to the server with it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Magres posted:

It's probably Delta/Beta -> Alpha -> Gamma/Epsilon -> Omega from easiest to hardest. It's intended to be Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Omega but Beta and Delta give you easy access to water, which is the best way to get around, so they get bonus points over Alpha for that.

I'd probably put whichever dome spawns in the hard clay biome as hardest just because you have to do quite a hike to get dirt to grow poo poo on and won't get free animal spawns from grass. Omega's actually not that bad - you're mostly constrained by space early on, but you are extremely safe and there's a nearby secret containing a shitload of thaumcraft stuff spitting distance away.

I'd say EASIEST: Beta -> Alpha -> TUNDRA-> DESERT -> omega -> HARDEST: HARD CLAY. I can't remember which ones the other three are. :downs:

e: Switched desert and tundra because getting past the mountain range in the middle of the continent to reach the place where you can mine oureoclase would probably be a huge speedbump for low-gear players.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 18, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

With an essentia export bus, how do I actually pick out what type to export into whatever its attached to (a warded jar in my case)? I can right click on the thing but I don't know what the hell to actually put in the gui.

Nevermind, turns out you don't need an export bus to get liquid back out; just use an essentia terminal. :downs:

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009
I was trying to organize my blightfall inventory using Storage Drawers but am unable to move the drawers with a JABBA dolly, despite both JABBA and Storage Drawers saying it should be possible. Is this explicitly turned off or something?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

President Ark posted:

I'd probably put whichever dome spawns in the hard clay biome as hardest just because you have to do quite a hike to get dirt to grow poo poo on and won't get free animal spawns from grass. Omega's actually not that bad - you're mostly constrained by space early on, but you are extremely safe and there's a nearby secret containing a shitload of thaumcraft stuff spitting distance away.

I'd say EASIEST: Beta -> Alpha -> TUNDRA-> DESERT -> omega -> HARDEST: HARD CLAY. I can't remember which ones the other three are. :downs:

e: Switched desert and tundra because getting past the mountain range in the middle of the continent to reach the place where you can mine oureoclase would probably be a huge speedbump for low-gear players.

Hard Clay is Delta and gives you 5 compressed dirt blocks and several regular dirt blocks, so growing stuff is really easy because you've got like 50 dirt blocks to worth with, and a water source. Epsilon is the desert and sucks because growing things sucks and water is decently far away. Gamma is all dirt and is near the ocean but has a sucktastic biome.

Delta is definitely down with Alpha/Beta for easiest, and possibly easiest entirely because its water source runs to the ocean so you have an extra clear shot to the ocean, and easy access to the tree house of goodness. The big drawback to Delta is that expanding out of your dome doesn't give you that much benefit because the surrounding terrain sucks. I'd probably start Delta and move to Beta or the Swamp once I was ready to start clearing stuff (I'd loot the Tiny Ship for the Blooms and haul them off to the Swamp to clear islands)

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 18, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Magres posted:

Hard Clay is Delta and gives you 5 compressed dirt blocks and several regular dirt blocks, so growing stuff is really easy because you've got like 50 dirt blocks to worth with, and a water source. Epsilon is the desert and sucks because growing things sucks and water is decently far away. Gamma is all dirt and is near the ocean but has a sucktastic biome.

Delta is definitely down with Alpha/Beta for easiest, and possibly easiest entirely because its water source runs to the ocean so you have an extra clear shot to the ocean, and easy access to the tree house of goodness. The big drawback to Delta is that expanding out of your dome doesn't give you that much benefit because the surrounding terrain sucks. I'd probably start Delta and move to Beta or the Swamp once I was ready to start clearing stuff (I'd loot the Tiny Ship for the Blooms and haul them off to the Swamp to clear islands)

I thought the desert one was the one with the hardened dirt and delta didn't give you poo poo?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Desert and clay both give you some dirt.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Blacktooth posted:

I am thinking of renting a server for a month or two to play Blightfall. The server I am playing on at the moment is more frustrating than anything, and I would be better off playing solo. If anyone is interested just let me know. Two or three goons and I will definitely rent one.

I would be down to start this weekend or whenever after that.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I'd still put delta up there just because hardened clay is completely worthless and even though it has water access it still is quite a trip for it to get anywhere useful.

Or maybe that's just my ADD preventing me from properly using boat travel because it's dull. :v:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

President Ark posted:

I'd still put delta up there just because hardened clay is completely worthless and even though it has water access it still is quite a trip for it to get anywhere useful.

Or maybe that's just my ADD preventing me from properly using boat travel because it's dull. :v:

I'm a dork and love to sing (and sing really well) and hum dumb songs while I sail around, so I love boating and skyboating and all that. Really, really slowly puttering around in an Archimedes' Ship is a lot more fun humming pirate songs :shobon:

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 18, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ariong posted:

Apparently I'm really really good at making rope.

did you try shift right clicking with empty hand to remove the lead?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Alternately attach a lead to every warp point :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I know you can attach a ball of moss to, say, a stack of throwing knives to make it replenish itself, but is there any other way to replenish TiCon ammo?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

Alternately attach a lead to every warp point :v:

actually, what happens if you use the transporter when leashed?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I know you can attach a ball of moss to, say, a stack of throwing knives to make it replenish itself, but is there any other way to replenish TiCon ammo?

Unsure if this works, but can you "repair" it by giving it the ingot it's made out of?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

Unsure if this works, but can you "repair" it by giving it the ingot it's made out of?

They're bone+flint in this case, with the business end being flint. Giving it flint did nothing, though I didn't try the Tool Station.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

Yup!

TheresaJayne posted:

Presumably it's still there, but once I go further than I am in the picture it turns invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Magres posted:

In happier news, once you get some rubber, automating milk bottle production is piss easy and I'm now enjoy carpal tunnel free Sano. The Engineer quests point you to it nicely, just takes a fluid transposer and an MFR Rancher - I'd recommend also upgrading your energy cell to Hardened or better, personally, or your rep:RF conversion is atrocious

If you research the Alchemical Boiler in the Automagy tab you can skip the bottling step entirely!

Also Alchemically Boiling MFR sludge is a source of vitium, so you can automate that as well if you have harvesters grinding up trees.