Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Ineffiable posted:

Did the topic dissappear? Link doesn't appear to work.

Works fine for me. If you can't get it to load, just go to criterionforum.org/forum, scroll down to Rumors and News, and it's the second "Announcement" thread in that subforum.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them get The Magnificent Ambersons as well.

Only after the lost ending is found. :colbert:

The lost ending will never be found. :smith:

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Raxivace posted:

Only after the lost ending is found. :colbert:

The lost ending will never be found. :smith:
Only the ending? They actually deleted over 40 minutes of Welles' original footage, one of the great cinematic travesties.

Oh well, at least we might see The Other Side of The Wind.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Picked up Dazed and Confused and blind bought High and Low and Harakiri. drat sales always get me.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

If anyone wants an extra 15% off coupon code for BN shoot me a PM.

Edit: Claimed!

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 30, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Safe Driver posted:

PM sent!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HP Hovercraft posted:

Only the ending? They actually deleted over 40 minutes of Welles' original footage, one of the great cinematic travesties.

Oh I know that, I just think of it as "the ending" in my head to help cope with the loss. :smith:

We'll definitely see The Other Side of the Wind, though unfortunately the recent crowdfunding project didn't even make a quarter of the initial $2 million goal.

EDIT: I got around to watching Kagemusha and while it is very good (Especially that masterful use of color), and it also isn't what I was expecting (Especially with Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas attached to it). I'd have to imagine that I'd have gotten more out of it if I had been more familiar with Japanese history.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 30, 2015

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Raxivace posted:

Oh I know that, I just think of it as "the ending" in my head to help cope with the loss. :smith:

We'll definitely see The Other Side of the Wind, though unfortunately the recent crowdfunding project didn't even make a quarter of the initial $2 million goal.

EDIT: I got around to watching Kagemusha and while it is very good (Especially that masterful use of color), and it also isn't what I was expecting (Especially with Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas attached to it). I'd have to imagine that I'd have gotten more out of it if I had been more familiar with Japanese history.

All Lucas and Coppola did was get Kurosawa funding. That was actually one of their original goals for American Zoetrope studios, it was to give older guys a chance to make movies too, since major studios wouldn't give people like Orson Welles a lot of money. It never came to be, but when Lucas saw the chance to help Kurosawa get the funding for his picture, he jumped. I guess it was good he recently had made Star Wars.

As far as Kagemusha, I think the International edit is a better version, and it would have been nice for Criterion to include both. It's clearly not a hack job done by some guy at 20th Century Fox trying to cut the film down, since it adds introductory text in Japanese, and has a few scenes where a few different shots are used. It cuts down on some of the fat. So for example, when they first hear about the one guy's death, there's a few scenes of different people reacting. One is some guy you never see again, and they cut that out. It's a tighter film.

I would also say that it's a later era Kurosawa, and so, like Ran, it deals with a lot of depressing themes. But given how his films are more about human conflict, I don't know if a familiarity with Japanese history would add much to the film. The film really deals with the themes of personality and identity, and whether or not you know about the history behind some of the characters is unimportant.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cemetry Gator posted:

I would also say that it's a later era Kurosawa, and so, like Ran, it deals with a lot of depressing themes. But given how his films are more about human conflict, I don't know if a familiarity with Japanese history would add much to the film. The film really deals with the themes of personality and identity, and whether or not you know about the history behind some of the characters is unimportant.

I wonder. Many of the characters seem unusually underdeveloped for a Kurosawa film (I'm not sure what I can even say about the titular Kagemusha without describing him in comparison to Shingen, the man he is tasked with impersonating), so that made me wonder if I'm supposed to have some idea about who these characters are from history already. The best comparison I can think of is how an American is likely to get more out of a film like Young Mr. Lincoln compared to a non-American who has never heard of Abraham Lincoln, since most Americans grow up learning about him in some form.

You say Kagemusha deals with themes of personality and identity, though from my perspective it does so in a more of an abstract way than I'm used to from a Kurosawa film.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 31, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Safe Driver posted:

Edit: Claimed!
I used your coupon today and got The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, thanks again!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Raxivace posted:

I wonder. Many of the characters seem unusually underdeveloped for a Kurosawa film (I'm not sure what I can even say about the titular Kagemusha without describing him in comparison to Shingen, the man he is tasked with impersonating), so that made me wonder if I'm supposed to have some idea about who these characters are from history already. The best comparison I can think of is how an American is likely to get more out of a film like Young Mr. Lincoln compared to a non-American who has never heard of Abraham Lincoln, since most Americans grow up learning about him in some form.

You say Kagemusha deals with themes of personality and identity, though from my perspective it does so in a more of an abstract way than I'm used to from a Kurosawa film.

The film is based on history, but there was no doppelganger. They just didn't announce his death to avoid giving the enemy an advantage.

With the kagemusha, it's hard to really discuss your claim as a criticism, because in many respects, the man's only purpose is to be a double. We don't have any background on him as a person because in a way, he was just a nameless element of society. He happened to have this duty placed upon him, but even then, he wasn't himself, he had to be Shingen.

It's been a little while since I've seen the film, but there's a lot of points where he behaves in a different way than Shingen. There's a lot of moments where he behaves inappropriately, or the grandson doesn't fear him the way that he used to. And then there's the scene on the battle where he actually gives an order that Shingen would have given.

But in the end, you can't adopt the personality of another. You can't become another man, because eventually, you will be revealed.

Going back to your main point, watch what happens when the man gets sent away. He essentially becomes a ghost. If I remember the final battle sequence, he's portrayed looking incredibly pale. He loses his position, and everything. He's given nothing, no respect, no acknowledgement. He ceases to exist.

In that sense, the kagemusha served no purpose aside from being a double, and once he lost that purpose, he had nothing else.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I used your coupon today and got The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, thanks again!

That's a good one! You're welcome.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Well I just blind bought the thin red line because I wandered into a Barnes and nobles. Never seen this before.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

e: still have one 15% coupon if anyone wants to get in last minute on the Criterion sale

The B&N Criterion sale ends tomorrow (so I think today might be the last day to buy stuff, not 100% sure). I have two 15% off coupons which expire tonight, I don't need to spend more money, so I'll give them to the first two people to PM me.

I ended up with Kuroneko and Sword of Doom, nice to hear good things said about both in this thread. I haven't watched Sword of Doom yet, but Kuroneko is beautiful. Watching one of the interviews that came with the movie, I had no idea that cat-monster movies were a craze in Japan somewhere around the 60s, and this is apparently a sort of arthouse take on the genre (I hope that's not too reductive, it's really good, and I love the director's de-romanticization of the samurai class).

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 3, 2015

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Thanks to my generous friend in the post above I made a literal 11 o'clock purchase. For a blind buy I kept flip-flopping between Modern Times and The Ice Storm, and ended up going with Modern Times.. I hope I made the right decision. I also picked up Thief. I saw this for the first time several months ago and can't believe how many people have not heard of it. I can't wait to share.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Blind bought An Autumn Afternoon and, no surprises here, it's absolutely fantastic... I was already a huge Ozu fan, but seeing his color work in HD was an absolute joy to behold. Really wish Criterion would get off their asses and release Good Morning on Blu; Ozu's dramas are great and all, but I could really go for a comedy, too.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

zenintrude posted:

Blind bought An Autumn Afternoon and, no surprises here, it's absolutely fantastic... I was already a huge Ozu fan, but seeing his color work in HD was an absolute joy to behold. Really wish Criterion would get off their asses and release Good Morning on Blu; Ozu's dramas are great and all, but I could really go for a comedy, too.
“Cinema is dead. It died in 1962, I think it was in October!” -Aki Kaurismaki

I think he said that because that was when An Autumn Afternoon was released, Ozu's last film.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Review copies (and presumably a crapload of manufactured final stock) of Dressed To Kill had incorrect geometry, resulting in a squeeze being applied to the image. Apparently there was some miscommunication between de Palma and Criterion or at least an error in the following of his directions. When first addressing the issue after it was found in review copies, it seemed like it'd be a replacement program. Thankfully Criterion has changed their mind on that and the street date is now delayed to September 8 (which has already propagated through to Amazon) so that the corrected discs will already be in the case and no replacement will be necessary (with a "2nd printing" on the back cover and disc to confirm) - so you can once again preorder with confidence.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 7, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder how much of a financial hit all that extra manufacturing is for a company like Criterion.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Slate Action posted:

I wonder how much of a financial hit all that extra manufacturing is for a company like Criterion.

(Wes Anderson busts out his velcro wallet)

"OK guys, how much do ya need this time?"

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They caught it before orders shipped and they can probably write it off. Not a big deal. But they need to let some fans do QC for them. A lot of errors would be caught if they had an outside viewer look over.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I couldn't help myself yesterday and picked up Ugetsu. Still so drat good.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

HP Hovercraft posted:

“Cinema is dead. It died in 1962, I think it was in October!” -Aki Kaurismaki

I think he said that because that was when An Autumn Afternoon was released, Ozu's last film.

If it weren't for Kubrick and Tati, I'd probably agree.

---

Side note, AAA introduced me to Keiji Sada... spent the whole time seeing Tony Leung.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

zenintrude posted:

If it weren't for Kubrick and Tati, I'd probably agree.

---

Side note, AAA introduced me to Keiji Sada... spent the whole time seeing Tony Leung.

I would watch a John Woo remake of an Ozu movie with Tony Leung and Chow Yun Fat in it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Starting August 28th is a Wim Wenders touring retrospective by Janus Films, featuring "The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick", "Alice in the Cities", "Wrong Move", "Kings of the Road", "The American Friend", "The State of Things", "Paris, Texas" (presumably the new 4K version), "Tokyo-Ga", "Wings of Desire" (new 4K version), "Notebook on Cities and Clothes", "Until the End of the World" (the full director's cut restored in 4K), and "Buena Vista Social Club".

FirstShowing.net posted:

The tour will begin in New York on August 28th, with stops in L.A., Boston, Chicago, Washington DC, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Columbus, Houston, Austin, Vancouver.
Janus Films has a website up right now that's just a poster with all the films listed and a trailer has made its way onto YouTube. Presumably these films will eventually make their way onto Criterion's Blu-Ray/DVD slate, but if they're playing near you, go see them in a theater.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Playtime was just added back to Criterion's Hulu channel.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
November 2015:

The Apu Trilogy
Eclipse Series 44: Julien Duvivier in the Thirties
Code Unknown
In Cold Blood
Don't Look Back
Ikiru (upgrade)

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Apu trilogy! Finally!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Glad to see Ikiru on Blu finally.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
This is one of the first months in a while where I want every single release. (Probably won't get every single one, but I want em all.)

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

How good is this Apu Trilogy, I haven't experience Indian cinema and it looks lush. I'll probably blind buy it in the winter B&N sale if the Canadian dollar is at least 80 cents+ :(

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Slate Action posted:

November 2015:

The Apu Trilogy

Oh gently caress.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Safe Driver posted:

How good is this Apu Trilogy, I haven't experience Indian cinema and it looks lush. I'll probably blind buy it in the winter B&N sale if the Canadian dollar is at least 80 cents+ :(

I went and saw the recent restoration at a theater and it was loving incredible.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Julien Duvivier - I've only seen Pepe le Moko but I really liked it, so I'll check these out. rental/Hulu/whatever

Code Unknown - I generally like Haneke but there aren't any I'd want to purchase. and I consider this one of his weaker efforts. pass

In Cold Blood - would love to upgrade, definite purchase

Ikiru - another easy upgrade, definite purchase

Dont Look Back - seen it, no interest in seeing it again

Apu Trilogy - oh, hello there. I've been waiting a loooong time for you. ever since the first rumors of a Criterion release of these surfaced, I've held off on a third viewing of these films. that was like... 7 or 8 years ago? it's about time

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Slate Action posted:

November 2015:

The Apu Trilogy
Eclipse Series 44: Julien Duvivier in the Thirties
Code Unknown
In Cold Blood
Don't Look Back
Ikiru (upgrade)

I bought tickets to see the Apu restoration at OSU's Wexner Center this morning, somewhat because I thought it'd take forever to be released.

Still happy that I get to see it on the big screen.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Saw all 3 of the Apu Trilogy in theater yesterday. I went in blind and now I can't wait to buy it on blu.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

Starting August 28th is a Wim Wenders touring retrospective by Janus Films, featuring "The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick", "Alice in the Cities", "Wrong Move", "Kings of the Road", "The American Friend", "The State of Things", "Paris, Texas" (presumably the new 4K version), "Tokyo-Ga", "Wings of Desire" (new 4K version), "Notebook on Cities and Clothes", "Until the End of the World" (the full director's cut restored in 4K), and "Buena Vista Social Club".

Janus Films has a website up right now that's just a poster with all the films listed and a trailer has made its way onto YouTube. Presumably these films will eventually make their way onto Criterion's Blu-Ray/DVD slate, but if they're playing near you, go see them in a theater.

Would love to catch a couple of these when they play by me. What are the essentials?

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

ThetaOmnikron posted:

Would love to catch a couple of these when they play by me. What are the essentials?
If you haven't seen any of them I would say Alice in the Cities, The American Friend, Paris, Texas, and Wings of Desire are all essentials.

If I could go I would be hitting up the Until the End of the World director's cut so hard.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Saw all 3 of the Apu Trilogy in theater yesterday. I went in blind and now I can't wait to buy it on blu.

Sunday in Detroit can't come fast enough. I can't wait to be spoiled and see these for the first time on a big screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

ThetaOmnikron posted:

Kings of the Road (1976) is what I'd pick as Wenders' best film, and has the added argument of being effectively unavailable in North America.