Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Blowdryer posted:

Running a browser while running a game is why I was looking for a lightweight browser, it gets bad when I play dota or divinity original sin and try to have something up (music/guides/whatever).

Browsers are essentially accelerated Javascript virtual machines now. There are no lightweight browsers worth using in 2015. (And you're not in a thread for one now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Want a really lightweight browser? http://offbyone.com/offbyone/ Won't handle full HTML 4 though..

Want one that's still pretty lightweight, but will handle modern sites? Try K-Meleon, which also uses Gecko rendering engine like Firefox. http://kmeleonbrowser.org/

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

For some reason the update to FF40 has moved the green progress bar that's supposed to be at the bottom of the location bar, over to the side.

Guessing this is a bug in status-4-eva, but anyone else seen it?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Firefox 42 (on the Developer channel at the moment) has this really cool feature - any tab with audio playing has a speaker icon beside the favicon in the tab bar.

If you click the speaker, it mutes the tab's audio. Nice!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Firefox 42 (on the Developer channel at the moment) has this really cool feature - any tab with audio playing has a speaker icon beside the favicon in the tab bar.

That's in Safari (on El Capitan) right now too, I think Chrome or someone had it earlier too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

computer parts posted:

That's in Safari (on El Capitan) right now too, I think Chrome or someone had it earlier too.

Chrome has an icon for sound, but it has no function besides visually indicating something is playing.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I have an interesting problem with 40.0.2. Opening up threads from the usercontrol panel using a greasemonkey causes the third tab to act as if it is still loading. Even if it has completed loading. And from there I can not close the tab. I'm guessing it's a greasemonkey issue with the update.

Edit: Looks like it crashes Firefox if I try to close the tab and any tabs preceding it. Everything works fine without greasemonkey enabled.

calandryll fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 16, 2015

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm using an addon right now that does this same thing - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noise-control/

It'll be nice to have it built into Firefox but if anyone else wants it beforehand (and doesn't use 42 yet) have at it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Pikestaff posted:

I'm using an addon right now that does this same thing - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noise-control/

It'll be nice to have it built into Firefox but if anyone else wants it beforehand (and doesn't use 42 yet) have at it.

One important difference between this add-on and the built-in Firefox feature is that the latter can mute Flash too.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Chrome has an icon for sound, but it has no function besides visually indicating something is playing.

you can make it also mute sound in chrome flags

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Nalin posted:

So, there is apparently a bug with Firefox 40 and the latest NVIDIA drivers for Windows 10. Mozilla has blacklisted the driver and disabled Direct2D/DirectWrite in Firefox. If things are a tearing, jittery mess, and things don't look right, check your about :support to see if hardware acceleration was disabled.
Just coming in to check on any issues with 40, since I auto-updated yesterday (on Windows 8.1, to version 40.0.2) and had terrible lag on many pages, especially pages with animations (like these forums). I have an Nvidia GTX 780 but not the latest drivers, as everything has been stable with my gaming apps since the last graphic drivers upgrade (running Nvidia driver version 377.48).

I downgraded to FF 39 an hour ago and things are back to normal. I guess I'll wait to upgrade FF again when Nvidia and Mozilla are back in sync?

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 17, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I was upgraded to 41 (beta) yesterday, and now my search suggestions in the search bar aren't working at all. And yes, the search suggestions option box is still there and checked. That was one of my favorite features of the browser that separated it from all of its competitors to me.

Solutions?

Edit: Ok, it's still kinda working, but it only displays one possible answer. Is there any way to restore previous behavior through about:config or something?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 17, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

nnnotime posted:

Just coming in to check on any issues with 40, since I auto-updated yesterday (on Windows 8.1, to version 40.0.2) and had terrible lag on many pages, especially pages with animations (like these forums). I have an Nvidia GTX 780 but not the latest drivers, as everything has been stable with my gaming apps since the last graphic drivers upgrade (running Nvidia driver version 377.48).

I downgraded to FF 39 an hour ago and things are back to normal. I guess I'll wait to upgrade FF again when Nvidia and Mozilla are back in sync?
Make sure you're using 353.06, those are the only recent drivers with a fix for the 10-20% performance loss on Kepler-based cards like yours that was introduced a few versions back. There currently aren't any drivers on Windows 10 with this fix, so I'd suggest waiting until drivers have improved.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

nnnotime posted:

It's already been fixed. They removed the driver from the blacklist. If your blacklist isn't updating, you can follow the instructions I wrote on the last page:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=448946874&forumid=22

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

nnnotime posted:

You might want to be on 38.2.0. There are a few security fixes missing in 39; 38.0.2 is the Extended Support Release and will get security fixes for months. 39 is already end of life.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Wow, thanks. You guys are really good at this (better than me).

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Nalin posted:

The blacklist on the latest NVIDIA drivers have been removed. It will automatically download the new blacklist tomorrow, or, if you are impatient, you can force an update:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Blocklisting/Testing#Forcing_a_Blocklist_Ping

1) Press F12 to open the web dev console.
2) Click the gear on the top-right.
3) Under Advanced Settings, check the "Enable browser chrome and add-on debugging toolboxes" setting.
4) Close the web dev console and press CTRL+SHIFT+J
5) In the new window, paste this in and press enter:
code:
Components.classes["@mozilla.org/extensions/blocklist;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsITimerCallback).notify(null);
6) Restart Firefox

FYI, the order of instructions you listed does not match those on the Mozilla page you linked. Step 6 is supposed to occur after step 3.

Also, when I tried this and pasted the code into the console, the console response was "undefined", so I assume that means the command from Mozilla is incorrect. And then I still noticed the same behavior with 40.0.2 I had before.

I will go back to 38.2.0 for now. This has to be a pain for the average non-techie person running Firefox, unless they get some technical help.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

nnnotime posted:

Also, when I tried this and pasted the code into the console, the console response was "undefined", so I assume that means the command from Mozilla is incorrect.

That just means the function you called didn't return a value. Don't worry about that. :)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

nnnotime posted:

FYI, the order of instructions you listed does not match those on the Mozilla page you linked. Step 6 is supposed to occur after step 3.

Also, when I tried this and pasted the code into the console, the console response was "undefined", so I assume that means the command from Mozilla is incorrect. And then I still noticed the same behavior with 40.0.2 I had before.

I will go back to 38.2.0 for now. This has to be a pain for the average non-techie person running Firefox, unless they get some technical help.

I didn't restart Firefox after doing step 3 and it worked fine for me. You will know it worked when the about :support page has "Direct2D Enabled" set to "true".

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

astral posted:

That just means the function you called didn't return a value. Don't worry about that. :)
Thanks for the clarification on that. If that's normal, like a void return value in Java, then the console shouldn't return back any message except that the command was executed, to avoid confusion, IMO.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

nnnotime posted:

Thanks for the clarification on that. If that's normal, like a void return value in Java, then the console shouldn't return back any message except that the command was executed, to avoid confusion, IMO.

Yeah, but Javascript is a bad language.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, but Javascript is a bad language.

This cannot be stressed enough

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

The Milkman posted:

This cannot be stressed enough
It's cool how JS is basically a compiler intermediate language these days. You write in whatever language you want, compile to JS, and the browser compiles it for the native platform and executes it. LLVM and Emscripten (along with asm.js) have changed everything.*

*Changes may not take effect immediately

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Anyone else use EFF Privacy Badger and seeing it break a lot of sites recently? Affected sites don't load CSS, but toggling on all things it says its blocking doesn't fix it, the only way to correct the issue is to disable the extension on that site entirely.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's been really loving obnoxious for me of late. I end up having to go in and authorize every last subdomain on a site, and I can't get the whitelists to work.

The biggest culprit for CSS breakage for me is uBlock though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just had to disable it on G+ to be able to view embedded YouTube videos without getting a generic error message.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Is anyone else having problems with PDFs? Trying to view a PDF in Firefox just results in a blank page or semi-blank page. Same thing happens in Safe Mode.

edit: to clarify, the image of the PDF itself is blank. The screen does load all the UI stuff.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 20, 2015

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
Anyone know how to recover cached stylesheets, and whether firefox caches html itself? I just refreshed a webpage whose CSS I had been cribbing, and of course it's down for the count.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Newf posted:

Anyone know how to recover cached stylesheets, and whether firefox caches html itself? I just refreshed a webpage whose CSS I had been cribbing, and of course it's down for the count.

Just put the url into archive.org you don't have 11 hours to search through semi randomly named cache files

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Newf posted:

You might be able to pull something out of about :cache. The HTML and CSS should both be in your cache directory somewhere, but good luck finding out which of the randomly-generated filenames is the one you're looking for.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Nintendo Kid posted:

you don't have 11 hours to search through semi randomly named cache files

I'll have you know I just started my vacation.

edit: This has mostly worked, but images which were originally a carousel are now stacked. It looks like some js files were loaded out of order or were interfered with by the archive.org toolbar, but I've got enough to go on while waiting for the site to fix itself. Thanks.

Newf fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 21, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I think I'm going to drop Privacybadger and take my chances with something else. I leave the house for fourteen hours and it somehow goes from bad to downright obnoxious.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Bieeardo posted:

Ugh, I think I'm going to drop Privacybadger and take my chances with something else. I leave the house for fourteen hours and it somehow goes from bad to downright obnoxious.
All of the EFF's extensions, while cool in theory, are hot garbage in implementation. I'd recommend just using uBlock Origin with extra filters turned on in the dashboard, the tracking protection built into Firefox (top of the OP), and uMatrix if you really want additional blockage at a cost to functionality. I just use uBlock Origin and the built-in tracking protection and pretty much every site works without issues.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I've just done that now. I may experiment with uMatrix, but I'm going to refresh my memory of how things work without finer-grained fiddling.

Pity about the EFF's addons. I really like the sentiment behind them.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/08/21/the-future-of-developing-firefox-add-ons/

... huh, wonder if that's gonna kill some of the crustier addons I use.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Tivac posted:

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/08/21/the-future-of-developing-firefox-add-ons/

FWIW the (or one, there's no attribution) DownThemAll! developers are not very happy:

"DownThemAll! posted:

What does this mean for DownThemAll!? Well, for starters, DownThemAll! will be dead if XUL-based add-ons with XPCOM access are gone. Simple as that. The new APIs would only allow for a severely limited in functionality, severely stripped down DownThemAll! at best.

Gone with DownThemAll! will be add-ons that e.g. let you change major bits about the Firefox user interface (e.g. tabs tree add-ons), add-ons that allow you to do more “advanced” stuff than just showing or slightly altering websites, such as e.g. restarting the browser upon click (unless mozilla kindly provides an API for that, which won’t be compatible with Chrome, of course). Add-ons like NoScript will be severely limited in their feature set as well. Say byebye to Greasemonkey and hello to Tampermonkey, with it’s limitations. Want that add-on that lets you change the new tab page for something else or enhances that page? Maybe it will be available, maybe not, depending on if and when mozilla kindly provides WebExtensions APIs for such things. And of course, depending on if there will be an author creating this entirely new add-on from scratch.

What this also means: Almost all your existing add-ons will be broken, entirely, save for some Add-on SDK add-ons, namely those that don’t do anything fancy. Sure, even today, lots of add-ons break, and some add-ons will not get updated when they do and there are no suitable replacements. However, with this change, almost every add-on will be completely broken and in need of major updating by the extension authors. Good luck with that.

It is safe to say, that Firefox will not be Firefox anymore as far as extensions go, but instead will become yet another Chrome-clone.

To be clear: I was furious when the extension signing stuff was announced and then actually implemented, which effectively created yet another Walled Garden, but regarding this announcement I am just sad. Right now, it feels like I just learned my dear old friend Firefox is going to die.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I'll wait and see but probably the biggest draw of Firefox over chrome is that if the devs implement some stupid misfeature or usability regression an add-on will be able to fix it. Both the chrome team and Mozilla have a real problem catering to all but the lowest common denominators, and with chrome extensions you just can't pick up the slack. Seriously check either bug tracker and see hundreds of bugs closed as working as intended with really condescending responses.

The fact that they're talking so much about making multi-browser extensions standard really had me worried because a lot of things just aren't possible in chrome or other browsers.

e:

quote:

Removing the permissive addons model is pure Kryptonite. It will limit innovation.
It’s precisely the long tail that nobody is ever going to design an API for that matters in the aggregate.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 21, 2015

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

gently caress. The only hope left is Vivaldi then, since it at least supports vertical tab bars.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Tivac posted:

It'll kill everything that's not actively maintained and just kinda trucking along, but the bigger impact will be that it'll greatly limit what new things can be done in the future. Even if they manage to support all major existing addons (which is unlikely, considering how much stuff still doesn't work with e10s and possibly won't ever work with e10s), it pretty much eliminates the ability for extensions to modify the browser in ways that the FF devs never even thought of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
If it's like chrome extensions will only be able to call APIs the developers have implemented. So modifications the devs don't foresee, feel like supporting, or want to allow will be impossible.

If it gets locked down too much or too many add-ons stop working I might give some of those Firefox derivatives a look out just bite the bullet and go to chrome.

I hate how, to chrome, I'm not The User(tm) but if I've can't customize either browser there's no point in choosing Firefox.