Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's right, Morty, 6*7 IS at least forty!

Now why don't you tell the whole class the proper wordplay to use when one is chasing one's victim though a pumpkin patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Unless they're a Hitchhiker's fan.

That's 6 x 9 :colbert:

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:

Just Offscreen posted:

Now why don't you tell the whole class the proper wordplay to use when one is chasing one's victim though a pumpkin patch?

You're about to get GOURD, bitch!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Brightman posted:

That's 6 x 9 :colbert:

Even a sorry case wouldn't make a joke in base 13.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That random rapper guy who shows up in Summer's dream reminds of that random rapper guy who shows up in the Friday music video.

When I saw that rapper pop up in the memory, this was literally where my brain went.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Grizzlegrax posted:

You're about to get GOURD, bitch!

:drat: bitch

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

tarlibone posted:

Even a sorry case wouldn't make a joke in base 13.

You didn't read HGttG did you?

At one point, I think at the end of the second book or maybe beginning of the third, Ford has Arthur pull tiles from the Scrabble set he made to try and find the question after a prehistoric man pulled out 'forty two' which is the answer. Arthur pulls out something like "What do you get when you multiply six by nine". This is because his ancestors are mixed with the idiots they crash landed with on prehistoric earth who's leader won't get out of the bath tub, so the computer's [earth's] output got corrupted.

It's been a good 4~6 years since I last read the books, but I think that's the gist of it. Also a lot of what happened in those books would fit in with a lot of what goes on in Rick and Morty come to think of it.

Oh, also a friend showed me this: http://imgur.com/a/yionO

Most likely an error, but then again, why is there an extra plate? For Rick? He's off fighting molemen, why make him breakfast?

Brightman fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 18, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Brightman posted:

You don't know your Douglas Adams quotes, do you?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

bull3964 posted:

Goddammit, that happens like right after that, son of a bitch. Sorry everyone.

Edit: No wait, that was an interview wasn't it?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Who's on the third photo?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ringu0 posted:

Who's on the third photo?
Pretty sure it's Jerry in a hat with a collared shirt and a sweater vest.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
That's clearly a picture of Jerry from his Titanic trip.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's almost the exact same getup he was wearing on the Titanic, just a different colored shirt and hat.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Makes sense, thank you.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So are they actually writing Mr Poopybutthole off the show? He was the best!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That random rapper guy who shows up in Summer's dream reminds of that random rapper guy who shows up in the Friday music video.

He's actually the producer of the songs that the company put out.

He seems a bit off, Jon Ronson who seems cool did a thing about him a few years ago and I remember him coming across pretty badly.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/cifamerica/video/2012/may/18/jon-ronson-viral-video-tuesday

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Brightman posted:

Most likely an error, but then again, why is there an extra plate? For Rick? He's off fighting molemen, why make him breakfast?

I feel like I saw some promo material or early clip or something which had Rick leaving the table saying "I'll be right back" or something, and then boom molemen and drill-marine.

I could be conflating this with other stuff they've put out though.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

kalensc posted:

I feel like I saw some promo material or early clip or something which had Rick leaving the table saying "I'll be right back" or something, and then boom molemen and drill-marine.
Or an even easier answer, Beth probably always puts out a plate for Rick anyway, because who the gently caress knows when he may or may not show up.
With her abandonment issues, she probably always wants to err on the side of "Dad's coming home tonight."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like how we've got a ton of people weighing in on Mr. PB, but no one has discussed how the primary mechanic of the episode, namely flashbacks, aren't a real loving thing.

No one flashbacks in real life, and certainly group flashbacks, like the elevator or the Nazi, aren't real at all. I could certainly see everyone's eyes glazing over and staring off into space while a telepathic wave bombs the room, but flashbacks being a phenomenon, so much so that Rick directly addresses them, not being discussed after pages and pages blows me away.

Hamurai was the funniest one, but Sleepy Gary and Jerry's vacation bummed me out really hard.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Bust Rodd posted:

I like how we've got a ton of people weighing in on Mr. PB, but no one has discussed how the primary mechanic of the episode, namely flashbacks, aren't a real loving thing.

No one flashbacks in real life, and certainly group flashbacks, like the elevator or the Nazi, aren't real at all. I could certainly see everyone's eyes glazing over and staring off into space while a telepathic wave bombs the room, but flashbacks being a phenomenon, so much so that Rick directly addresses them, not being discussed after pages and pages blows me away.

Hamurai was the funniest one, but Sleepy Gary and Jerry's vacation bummed me out really hard.

For such a 4th wall-breaky show, it works in context and suspension of disbelief and all that. It's addressing tropes and using real world metaphors.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

No one flashbacks in real life,

Clearly, you've never done acid.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bust Rodd posted:

No one flashbacks in real life

No-one talks to the audience in real life to say that an ad break is coming up

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Wait...this show isn't real??

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bust Rodd posted:

Have you never seen a TV show before? A flashback represents a character telling the other about something but showing what they're talking about is more visually interesting than just showing them saying it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Literally The Worst posted:

Dear Jesus why are you people spending so many posts trying to rationalize a joke wherein Mr Poopy Butt is presumed to be a parasite because he shows up immediately after Rick says to watch out for wacky characters and then he gets shot and it turns out he's real

It's a joke

Like the fact that he hasn't shown up before is part of why that joke works

The hell is wrong with you people

You weren't here when Perry Bible Fellowship was still updating, were you?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Brightman posted:

At one point, I think at the end of the second book or maybe beginning of the third, Ford has Arthur pull tiles from the Scrabble set he made to try and find the question after a prehistoric man pulled out 'forty two' which is the answer. Arthur pulls out something like "What do you get when you multiply six by nine". This is because his ancestors are mixed with the idiots they crash landed with on prehistoric earth who's leader won't get out of the bath tub, so the computer's [earth's] output got corrupted.

It's been a good 4~6 years since I last read the books, but I think that's the gist of it. Also a lot of what happened in those books would fit in with a lot of what goes on in Rick and Morty come to think of it.

Uhm....

bull3964 posted:

Beat me to it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Now I want DVD special features where Mr Poopybutthole is edited into every episode of the first season.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think it's pretty telling that all the additional characters were extremely... stereotypical in their 80s sitcom-y-ness. Goofy brother, defined-by-accent uncle, perfectly capable butler, zany character that only one main-character ever sees, etc. And then this is brought even further by the cast being critiqued by each other. Rick being a bit too zany compared to the rest of the family with an ill-defined 'backstory'. Morty being comically naive.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Entropic posted:

Have you never seen a TV show before? A flashback represents a character telling the other about something but showing what they're talking about is more visually interesting than just showing them saying it.

Yea, but has anyone ever referred to it as a flashback? It's called "remembering" but Rick directly calls it a flashback.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yea, but has anyone ever referred to it as a flashback? It's called "remembering" but Rick directly calls it a flashback.

There was a whole Community episode with Abed trying to retroactively change things about their current situation via flashbacks. He calls them flashbacks and asks other people to flashback with him. Since all he was doing was imagining things happened differently it didn't actually affect anything (I'm not surprised both of these shows did weird things with flashback episodes, these episodes probably share roots in the same conversation or something)

But that's the only thing I can think of

Rick broke the 4th wall a lot this episode for jokes though so why does it matter

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

If a writer has a really funny joke that mostly makes sense within the episode then I don't think they're going to hammer out every logistical point/counter-point that the viewer could come up with later. The possible ambiguity of Poopy (I don't think it's ambiguous but I understand those who do) adds to the humor and shock imo, and led to some fun initial reactions in here.

Rule of Funny checks out, add it to the script, and awayyyyy we goooo.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

There was a whole Community episode with Abed trying to retroactively change things about their current situation via flashbacks. He calls them flashbacks and asks other people to flashback with him. Since all he was doing was imagining things happened differently it didn't actually affect anything (I'm not surprised both of these shows did weird things with flashback episodes, these episodes probably share roots in the same conversation or something)

But that's the only thing I can think of

Rick broke the 4th wall a lot this episode for jokes though so why does it matter
Uh, is that the same episode where abed was affecting the past and basically time traveling by doing flashbacks?

Becuase there was an episode that did that (season 6 with the hotdog bus)

People on TV shows can initiate flashbacks and use that term. If you disagree then stop thinking about it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kalensc posted:

If a writer has a really funny joke that mostly makes sense within the episode then I don't think they're going to hammer out every logistical point/counter-point that the viewer could come up with later. The possible ambiguity of Poopy (I don't think it's ambiguous but I understand those who do) adds to the humor and shock imo, and led to some fun initial reactions in here.

Rule of Funny checks out, add it to the script, and awayyyyy we goooo.

b-b-bbut guys, was his butthole poopy, or was he created by Rick as some sort of single-purpose living bidet, like Butter Robot? Did he eventually prove himself so valuable Rick redesignated his purpose to: friend?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

b-b-bbut guys, was his butthole poopy, or was he created by Rick as some sort of single-purpose living bidet, like Butter Robot? Did he eventually prove himself so valuable Rick redesignated his purpose to: friend?

Excuse me but unless you attribute TVTropes in your footnotes then I harumph in your general direction.

As for real content, I hope that the next Beth-Jerry argument leads to them one/both of them stating how much happier they were with Sleepy Gary. Goddamn what a mindfuck if those memories linger on as feeling "real" despite all the revelations.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
Perhaps MPB is a parasite after all - one that has been able to adapt by creating a NEGATIVE memory? The whole bit about being shot by Beth and bleeding real blood and rehab might be a flashback to throw them off the track? Just a theory of mine.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kalensc posted:

Excuse me but unless you attribute TVTropes in your footnotes then I harumph in your general direction.

As for real content, I hope that the next Beth-Jerry argument leads to them one/both of them stating how much happier they were with Sleepy Gary. Goddamn what a mindfuck if those memories linger on as feeling "real" despite all the revelations.

All I'm saying is he is... unfortunately shaped. And we all know Rick is a little loose because of those Super Seeds in the pilot so one could assume Mr. Poopybutthole could fill the roll of some sort of cleaning device. Way too large for a normal human but purpose-built for Rick.

do not discount my theory. he would fit into rick. this is canon.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 18, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Beth memory for Summer was one of the best things ever. "I want the police to take me!!!!"

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Maybe mpb is the lead telepath parasite and just cant be killed that easily.

He reminds me of the real fake doors salesman guy a lot. I actually had to pull up that episode to make sure it wasn't him.

New ep was fantastic. In that "when you see it" pic someone posted I was scanning for the "too many cooks" machete killer. Sad he wasn't in there somewhere.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

Uh, is that the same episode where abed was affecting the past and basically time traveling by doing flashbacks?
He's talking about that episode, but abed doesn't affect the past or actually time travel. Similar to the Christmas episode, the development that's made isn't actual, it's just Abed coming to terms with something and using the insights he gains from his insanity to better the situation. They show time travel and reactions to his changes, but nothing actually changes.

There's an episode from either the first or second season when they do something similar where Annie and Britta are convinced that Abed can tell the future.

This episode was my favorite of the season so far. The sheer stamina of this show is amazin. Can they make a bad episode??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EatinCake posted:

He's talking about that episode, but abed doesn't affect the past or actually time travel. Similar to the Christmas episode, the development that's made isn't actual, it's just Abed coming to terms with something and using the insights he gains from his insanity to better the situation. They show time travel and reactions to his changes, but nothing actually changes.

There's an episode from either the first or second season when they do something similar where Annie and Britta are convinced that Abed can tell the future.

This episode was my favorite of the season so far. The sheer stamina of this show is amazin. Can they make a bad episode??

I'd say the Unity episode was pretty substandard. At least for this show. But substandard for this show is still streets ahead of pretty much any other comedy on TV at the moment.

• Locked thread