Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Inzombiac posted:

Fallout Shelter is out for Android and I cannot keep up with consumption no matter how upgraded or large my rooms are. I've set up everything very well and placed everyone in the right spots.

It's probably my fault, a couple of disastrous expiditions made me nervous to send anyone out so extra supplies are limited. The Fatboy I just picked up ought to even things out.

Sleeveless posted:

It's a free-to-play mobile game, by definition their entire business model is built around artificially limiting everything so they can nickel-and-dime you with in-app purchases.

You don't need this kind of negativity in your life. When I had a giant clusterfuck of resource shortages going on, I did the sane thing and had a bunch of kids. Seriously, though: how big is your vault, Inzombiac? If you run dry on power, it can gently caress up everything else via knock-on effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Inzombiac posted:

Fallout Shelter is out for Android and I cannot keep up with consumption no matter how upgraded or large my rooms are. I've set up everything very well and placed everyone in the right spots.

It's probably my fault, a couple of disastrous expiditions made me nervous to send anyone out so extra supplies are limited. The Fatboy I just picked up ought to even things out.

Your probably making the same mistake I did when I first started playing which is just trying to 'play' too much. Literally. It's a game you tap on a few things every like 10-20 minutes while you do something else in between. Trying to micromanage stuff too much by rushing rooms just costs you money

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Playing the Mechanist class in FF14: Your basic 1-2-3 combo is loving RNG, a straight 50/50 shot of having to restart your combo at 1 or being given the right to progress to the next step in the combo. Yeah there are some skills that makes it 100%, but you get 7 of those every minute and you attack every 2.5 seconds.

Nothing like going through a pull and mashing 1 over and over because squeenix RNG decides you're not going to go to the next step until your cooldown is over.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Leal posted:

Playing the Mechanist class in FF14: Your basic 1-2-3 combo is loving RNG, a straight 50/50 shot of having to restart your combo at 1 or being given the right to progress to the next step in the combo. Yeah there are some skills that makes it 100%, but you get 7 of those every minute and you attack every 2.5 seconds.

Nothing like going through a pull and mashing 1 over and over because squeenix RNG decides you're not going to go to the next step until your cooldown is over.

I don't play FF14, but surely with a name like that it's a gimmick class and that's the point?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't play FF14, but surely with a name like that it's a gimmick class and that's the point?

Yeah he's being stupid, its literally the only class that plays like that. If you don't like that, play ANY of the other classes. The whole point is its a gimmick class for people who want the gimmick. drat RNG! :cheeky:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah he's being stupid, its literally the only class that plays like that. If you don't like that, play ANY of the other classes. The whole point is its a gimmick class for people who want the gimmick. drat RNG! :cheeky:

That'd still be a downside to me. I'd probably gavitate towards a job like Mechanist just because I like robots and machines more than I like magic or martial stuff, so the fact that it's an annoying luck-based gimmick class would piss me off.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

All the heavensward classes are like showing up for training at your new job, opening the door, and they just shove all the office supplies from the supply closet in your arms say "okay get to work".

Every other class gets to get one skill a level and you find out what it is, what it works with, which are your DoTs, which are your escapes. You learn organically. Every heavensward job is just 30 levels worth of skills thrown at you in a random pile and you get to assemble them like a jigsaw puzzle until you realize you hate the class and go back to what you were doing before.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Away all Goats posted:

Your probably making the same mistake I did when I first started playing which is just trying to 'play' too much. Literally. It's a game you tap on a few things every like 10-20 minutes while you do something else in between. Trying to micromanage stuff too much by rushing rooms just costs you money

This world is so g.d. corrupt

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Sorry, but leaving it up to the RNG to decide if you have the right to do your next attack in line or be stuck doing your weakest attack is p. dumb.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Krinkle posted:

All the heavensward classes are like showing up for training at your new job, opening the door, and they just shove all the office supplies from the supply closet in your arms say "okay get to work".

Every other class gets to get one skill a level and you find out what it is, what it works with, which are your DoTs, which are your escapes. You learn organically. Every heavensward job is just 30 levels worth of skills thrown at you in a random pile and you get to assemble them like a jigsaw puzzle until you realize you hate the class and go back to what you were doing before.

Except they forgot to give you any highlighters, pens or pencils for the Astrologian class. That class is the most worthless at healing. No big heals, no worthwhile spells, a lovely card buff system that's outclassed by the goddamn scholar's fairy...It just has no reason to exist. If you join an important trial or duty and an astrologian pops up everyone instantly leaves because we know they can't keep up no matter what.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nth Doctor posted:

You don't need this kind of negativity in your life. When I had a giant clusterfuck of resource shortages going on, I did the sane thing and had a bunch of kids. Seriously, though: how big is your vault, Inzombiac? If you run dry on power, it can gently caress up everything else via knock-on effects.

I was up to about 20 rooms and 28 dwellers. A Radroach infestation managed to kill all of my weakened people. I had my strongest out on safari so he came back with enough caps to revive #2 and sold enough rooms to revive my best lady. We are small but we're better equipped and smarter. The wastes will not take us. We will take back the wastes!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Inzombiac posted:

I was up to about 20 rooms and 28 dwellers. A Radroach infestation managed to kill all of my weakened people. I had my strongest out on safari so he came back with enough caps to revive #2 and sold enough rooms to revive my best lady. We are small but we're better equipped and smarter. The wastes will not take us. We will take back the wastes!

Good on you. Vault 734 approves. :cheers:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Except they forgot to give you any highlighters, pens or pencils for the Astrologian class. That class is the most worthless at healing. No big heals, no worthwhile spells, a lovely card buff system that's outclassed by the goddamn scholar's fairy...It just has no reason to exist. If you join an important trial or duty and an astrologian pops up everyone instantly leaves because we know they can't keep up no matter what.

This is the wrongest poo poo in the world though? I haven't done Alex Savage yet but literally everything else I've been an Astrologian for and it's totally fine.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Jia posted:

This is the wrongest poo poo in the world though? I haven't done Alex Savage yet but literally everything else I've been an Astrologian for and it's totally fine.

Yeah of course it seems fine if you play Astrologian and haven't done the end game stuff. poo poo like:

-AST's Collective Unconscious takes you out of the fight for almost 20 seconds while you stand there and do AOE healing or damage reduction, both which WHM and SCH can do without having to stand still OR be near party members to do so.
-lovely card buffs that take 30 seconds to refresh, half the time which you'll spend shuffling or Royal Roading it to get better effects. So up to 60 seconds to make the buff worthwhile (extended, enhanced or AOE) when the SCH's fairy is either pumping out 30 second buff AOE to attack speed every minute without the RNG interfering. Or, they're using the other fairy for magic damage reduction for 20% for 20 seconds and huge healing buffs.
-No big heals except the one that only works the lower your health is. SCH has 3 Lustrates and emergency fairy buffs/regen while the WHM has benediction and tetra.
-Lightspeed is garbage and the WHM has a far superior skill to it, Presence of Mind(no damage reduction to attack spells). They also have Divine seal (+30% potency to heals for 15 seconds). SCH automatically and consistently gets skillspeed buffs based on their pet's actions.
-AST's level 60 skill is WHM's Holy (a level 45 skill) with a huge cooldown and no damage. Garbage.
-No cross classing with SCH so you lose out on Eye for an Eye.
-Nothing that comes close to the massive AOE healing and regen like Cure 3 and Medica 2 by WHM.

They're absolutely worthless beyond casual play which really sucks because SE had some really good ideas with them. But unless they fix their kits they can't compete with SCH or WHM at all and players are going to be locked out of end game stuff. The only reason anyone would take an AST into endgame content is if their DPS was too low, but at that point they'll just replace the DPS instead of handicapping the healing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It sure is too bad that FFXIV locks you into a single character class.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ryoshi posted:

If only it was more like those MMOs where you could change your class at will and level any class on a single character. :)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Yeah of course it seems fine if you play Astrologian and haven't done the end game stuff. poo poo like:

-AST's Collective Unconscious takes you out of the fight for almost 20 seconds while you stand there and do AOE healing or damage reduction, both which WHM and SCH can do without having to stand still OR be near party members to do so.
-lovely card buffs that take 30 seconds to refresh, half the time which you'll spend shuffling or Royal Roading it to get better effects. So up to 60 seconds to make the buff worthwhile (extended, enhanced or AOE) when the SCH's fairy is either pumping out 30 second buff AOE to attack speed every minute without the RNG interfering. Or, they're using the other fairy for magic damage reduction for 20% for 20 seconds and huge healing buffs.
-No big heals except the one that only works the lower your health is. SCH has 3 Lustrates and emergency fairy buffs/regen while the WHM has benediction and tetra.
-Lightspeed is garbage and the WHM has a far superior skill to it, Presence of Mind(no damage reduction to attack spells). They also have Divine seal (+30% potency to heals for 15 seconds). SCH automatically and consistently gets skillspeed buffs based on their pet's actions.
-AST's level 60 skill is WHM's Holy (a level 45 skill) with a huge cooldown and no damage. Garbage.
-No cross classing with SCH so you lose out on Eye for an Eye.
-Nothing that comes close to the massive AOE healing and regen like Cure 3 and Medica 2 by WHM.

They're absolutely worthless beyond casual play which really sucks because SE had some really good ideas with them. But unless they fix their kits they can't compete with SCH or WHM at all and players are going to be locked out of end game stuff. The only reason anyone would take an AST into endgame content is if their DPS was too low, but at that point they'll just replace the DPS instead of handicapping the healing.

Yeah, it's just impossible to use an Astrologian in the highest endgame content.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Shadow Warrior is a fun game but I'm getting really annoyed by the severe fall damage. For a guy who runs around really fast and slices demons apart with fancy sword magic, Lo Wang sure does have weak knees.

It's because of his Lo Wang :V He steps on it every time he falls.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer in The Last of Us, but the matchmaking is dragging it down for me.

I'm a mighty level 3, and I'm being matched up with guys that are 137, 158, even guys that are 209. It's really disheartening to get matchups that I have zero chance of doing anything meaningful in.

ShootaBoy has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Aug 18, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah I wound up in a no-parties lobby where there were 4 players under rank 20 or so, and 4 players way over rank 100. Guess how it chose to arrange the teams.

Possibly the worst matchmaking I've ever seen right there. When every one of the players is there before the game starts and it can arrange them however it wants, there's no excuse for it not to assign the players better.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Because that SCH was picking up all the slack from the AST by using Eos? Did you even watch the video? Both the SCH and AST nearly runs out of MP and the BRD has to use their MP song (dealing something like -20% damage and screwing them out of dps) in order to keep the healers juiced? Or that everyone in the party spends a significant amount of time below 30-50% health because the healers can't keep up? It takes far too long for the healers to get both tanks up after big hits too.

AST loving suck in late game poo poo. If you manage to find a way to make them work beyond the first floor (lol) write a guide so people don't have to deal with poo poo AST ruining runs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Three games into the series and you still can't knock people off of stuff- like buildings or ledges- in the Batman Arkham games. Batman doesn't kill, okay fine. So just say no one dies like you have been for the last games when you scan them, whatever. Plus the stock reactions to getting hit are starting to bug me, since I gave one dude an uppercut and it looked like he was going to do a complete backflip but then he just stopped and went into his 'ground rolling in pain' animation instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can knock people off, he even has an animation where he ties them to the ledge if you do. It's just not easy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

You can knock people off, he even has an animation where he ties them to the ledge if you do. It's just not easy.

I've only ever seen it with ledge takedowns, otherwise they just bump up against an invisible wall.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Are you sure you guys are getting matched into a game of total strangers, and not like a party of four dudes with a bunch of experience rolling pubbies and three other random fuckers.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ryoshi posted:

Still sucks finding out the class you looked forward to using is subpar.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Bee posted:

Still sucks finding out the class you looked forward to using is subpar.

Yeah, I totally get that. But at least in XIV it's less of a setback than it would be in an older game where you're locked into a class. Find out it sucks at end game content? Tough luck, pray for a patch.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

The annoying thing about MDickies Wrestling Revolution down is the difficulty of injuring people. I tombstoned a guy onto a pile of glass 5 times and he didn't even bleed. In another match I smashed the poo poo out of a guy with a flaming sword for several minutes without injuring him yet he managed to injure my character just by kicking out of a submission lock. There are a few things I wanted to do with the injury mechanic:

- Cost someone their championship by injuring them while they're the referee of the number 1 contender match.
- Kill a wrestler at another wrestler's memorial show.
- Kill every other person in a match
- Injure or kill everyone you go up against and see how the game handles the large number of wrestlers being out of action. I tried something similar in WWE12 but the game started bringing people back faster than I could injure them.

The other annoyance is the seemingly random submissions. I just lost a 37 win streak and a championship because my nearly undamaged character submitted immediately to a vastly inferior opponent.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

SpookyLizard posted:

Are you sure you guys are getting matched into a game of total strangers, and not like a party of four dudes with a bunch of experience rolling pubbies and three other random fuckers.

There are 2 matchmaking queues, parties or no parties. I always go with no parties allowed.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Yeah I wound up in a no-parties lobby where there were 4 players under rank 20 or so, and 4 players way over rank 100. Guess how it chose to arrange the teams.

Possibly the worst matchmaking I've ever seen right there. When every one of the players is there before the game starts and it can arrange them however it wants, there's no excuse for it not to assign the players better.

Uncharted 3 has a similar problem, but I think part of the cause is the playerbase is made up of those who play it endlessly and newbies, without much in between.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm really enjoying the multiplayer in The Last of Us, but the matchmaking is dragging it down for me.

I'm a mighty level 3, and I'm being matched up with guys that are 137, 158, even guys that are 209. It's really disheartening to get matchups that I have zero chance of doing anything meaningful in.

Reminds me of APB: Reloaded, where I won a mighty 3 matches and was awarded a gold rank and had to play in gold rank lobbies with other players who had all this poo poo unlocked while I was putzing around with the starter rifle and car. Not only that but because I wasn't doing half bad all things considered even though I lost 20 matches in a row it would not lower my rank.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Leal posted:

Reminds me of APB: Reloaded, where I won a mighty 3 matches and was awarded a gold rank and had to play in gold rank lobbies with other players who had all this poo poo unlocked while I was putzing around with the starter rifle and car. Not only that but because I wasn't doing half bad all things considered even though I lost 20 matches in a row it would not lower my rank.

Wouldn't have helped, last time I played the gold districts were pretty much empty except for three or four criminals robbing poo poo because nobody was there to stop them. Everybody played in silver because that's where the people were and the game would group just whoever anyway without much regard for rank and level. Also most bronze players were actually high levels who tanked their rank on purpose to gank some newbies or for easier matches or who knows why. Not that it mattered much in the end, the game was and probably still is full of hackers you have no chance of beating ever and that's the thing that really kills the game. That and the price of guns if you actually want to keep them, I mean seriously, the only way to get a permanent gun is to pay at least 20 bucks, most are even more expensive. In short, gently caress that game and whoever is running it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ryoshi posted:

Yeah, I totally get that. But at least in XIV it's less of a setback than it would be in an older game where you're locked into a class. Find out it sucks at end game content? Tough luck, pray for a patch.

Oh yeah, its way better than the old days. Not as good as every class being viable, but MMOs are always going to be struggling with that. I just hope SquareEnix doesn't let "you can just change class" get in the way of properly balancing everything.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
After 5 or 6 months almost any multiplayer game outside a few (CoD, Battlefield, Borderlands, etc) is going to be filled with high level experts and new players with almost nothing in between .

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Morglon posted:

Wouldn't have helped, last time I played the gold districts were pretty much empty except for three or four criminals robbing poo poo because nobody was there to stop them. Everybody played in silver because that's where the people were and the game would group just whoever anyway without much regard for rank and level. Also most bronze players were actually high levels who tanked their rank on purpose to gank some newbies or for easier matches or who knows why. Not that it mattered much in the end, the game was and probably still is full of hackers you have no chance of beating ever and that's the thing that really kills the game. That and the price of guns if you actually want to keep them, I mean seriously, the only way to get a permanent gun is to pay at least 20 bucks, most are even more expensive. In short, gently caress that game and whoever is running it.

Well yeah, there is that too that drags the game down. I wanted to try getting into it again but saw what exactly they demanded of me to permanently buy a guy and I thought Planetside 2's model was bad but those go to 8 bucks for non faction specific guns and 7 bucks for faction specific ones. Though for whatever reason there are certain non faction specific weapons on vehicles that have to be bought separately for no reason.

On that note: Planetside 2: I know the game is dead and all but the devs have completely abandoned the thought of making faction specific stuff, lately its all been NS (everyone faction can use) weapons and vehicles. Coulda fooled me that there was 3 factions with their unique flair of weapons and vehicles.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Leal posted:

On that note: Planetside 2: I know the game is dead and all but the devs have completely abandoned the thought of making faction specific stuff, lately its all been NS (everyone faction can use) weapons and vehicles. Coulda fooled me that there was 3 factions with their unique flair of weapons and vehicles.
Never helped that they always sucked at giving the factions actually unique stuff that wasn't a heavy weapon.
TR always got the best gear, typically accurate bullethoses.
NC got slower-firing but heavy hitters.
VS got... no bullet drop in a game where it barely mattered and faster damage-drop offs...???

Croccers has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Aug 20, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thats too bad about Planetside 2, it was actaully really fun. I feel like they just didn't' support it properly to make the game really unique and it just led to it getting stale. It was a blast when it worked though.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Buying decals and vehicle paint with real money should've unlocked it for all vehicles or at least account wide for that specific vehicle

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Fried Watermelon posted:

Buying decals and vehicle paint with real money should've unlocked it for all vehicles or at least account wide for that specific vehicle

It does now, at least. And before, they had three camos (gun, player, vehicle) and now you only need to buy it once per faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

2house2fly posted:

I'm mostly really liking Binary Domain but there are a couple of little things dragging it down:
I really liked that game but I thought it was hilarious that in the setting metal detectors aren't standard in important places. :v: