Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That was a pretty awesome tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Man Soto impressed the poo poo out of me. He has some serious technical leglock chops and did far better than anybody expected him too.

Good job for Eddie, too. Great to see him getting some high level recognition, and of course gettin' paid.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I'm really hoping to see more of Soto's ground game in his next UFC bout. I didn't realize how good he was.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Soto's understanding of the leg and foot control needed to finish heel hooks was really impressive. It allowed him to stay way deep on some leg entanglements against some really dangerous guys.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

Soto's understanding of the leg and foot control needed to finish heel hooks was really impressive. It allowed him to stay way deep on some leg entanglements against some really dangerous guys.

He did a fantastic job of anticipating which way people were going with their leg attacks, too; switching which way he was defending almost before they switched their attacks.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
His attacks looked good also. Going against the murderers row of Geo/Miyao/Cummings didn't really let him showcase it, but that heel hook he snatched in his first match was quick as hell and nasty.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

fatherdog posted:

I used to see Fyvie competing like constantly around Jersey. I'd kind of assumed he'd retired.

I dropped in his gym during a business trip in upstate NY a couple of times. Real nice dude, was really knowledgeable too. His gym seems to be one of the more highly regarded ones in the area.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

The amount of ignorance in this Facebook by Rener is oddly not very surprising.

Edit:

The Instagram has some better responses:

quote:

This is an important question that should motivate us to learn giu-gitsu.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 18, 2015

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Best response

quote:

Did he play for the Browns? If so I'd just act like I had a football in my hands and he'd just keep missing the tackle.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Yuns posted:

Best response

:vince:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

lol is he implying that Ray Rice's wife would have been ok if she trained? "avoid the knockout", jfc :psyduck:

Honestly I think BJJ is great but some of the marketing for it as self-defence is pretty disingenuous. I saw this video shared the other day by an acquaintance who runs his own club talking about how great it is for women to know how to do this stuff, as if the situation being depicted isn't pure fantasy that would probably end badly for all parties involved in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1VTQi4-_M0

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

as if the situation being depicted isn't pure fantasy that would probably end badly for all parties involved in real life.

Well that's how you sell Bjj to people who are worried about being attacked, because no one wants to hear "go out in groups, don't get white girl wasted at clubs, don't try to escalate situations, don't go home with strangers, don't drink from other peoples cups" as their first and best line of defence to being attacked. You tell them" with Bjj anyone who tries fighting/raping you is gonna get cross collared."

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 18, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Gadamer posted:

The amount of ignorance in this Facebook by Rener is oddly not very surprising.

Edit:

The Instagram has some better responses:

I normally don't want insane tumblr people to get internet mad at people and go crazy, but now, I do.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Everyone is just saying yes they think they can. What am I missing here?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Novum posted:

Gracie Academy 45 minute sales pitches are making people delusional about the effectiveness of BJJ when getting sucker punched by a 300 pound man as a 100 pound woman, which is bad and irresponsible of them.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

My bjj coach is vehemently opposed to cups. "Cups are for girls." I brought up the whole, "but won't my balls smash into your back all the time?"

"i want you to give me those balls dude. I don't want a cup pressing into my back." So thanks for the advice thread but i can't wear a cup apparently.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
First of all cups are intended for boys. Also your coach said he wants you to give him your balls. I am further convinced that you should wear a cup.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

canada jezus posted:

"Cups are for girls."

Can't argue with that logic.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I don't think you'll be taking your coach's back often enough to worry about rubbing your balls on his back.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
"Give me your balls" - a BJJ coach

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Keg posted:

I don't think you'll be taking your coach's back often enough to worry about rubbing your balls on his back.

Ofcourse not, but like, other peoples backs in general.

edit: Obviously i'm just going to listen to the coach, nobody else had cups. I'm sure i'll regret it once my dick gets crushed.

canada jezus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 18, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

1st AD posted:

"Give me your balls" - a BJJ coach

His name is Robert Paulson.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

canada jezus posted:

i want you to give me those balls dude

Mods please rename thread title.

Also fatherdog's post about self defense are the best which less eloquently breaks down to don't get in sketched out places, de-escalate bad situations, run like hell, grapple without strikes, grapple with strikes, and stand up techniques. (All in descending order in likeliness of happening)

Although I personally get suspicious of any list that doesn't include "screaming like an insane person, vomiting/defecating everything inside you to the outside/going completely limp like a dummy"

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Novum posted:

Yeah, I went looking for something that was retarded even by Rener standards and was kind of let down a little.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Rener standards? This recent post was a little misguided (I didn't get the Rice reference) but he generally speaks sense imo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Is it cool to ask general "I train" questions in this thread? A recent podcast has an irrelevant to reality question (I'm 31 with a congenital brain malformation and can't exactly get back to it) but I'm curious about something one of my old coaches was vehement about but it isn't BJJ it's MMA/Muay Thai.

Most of you guys were lucky enough to have way more experience in things than me and I respect your opinions, by the by.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So does anyone elses BJJ school teach Helio's self defense techniques? Mine does, and I feel that the time spent doing that would be much better spent learning stand up more akin to actual judo/wrestling, but hey I'm a white belt, do any senior belts think they're useful?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

KildarX posted:

So does anyone elses BJJ school teach Helio's self defense techniques? Mine does, and I feel that the time spent doing that would be much better spent learning stand up more akin to actual judo/wrestling, but hey I'm a white belt, do any senior belts think they're useful?

Helio self defense technique #1: if a large Japanese man is breaking your arm, make sure he doesn't stop until you are well and truly maimed

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ask away Log.

In our Gracie Barra class, the fundamental classes get taught a fair bit of self defense but I dunno if that's Helio self defense, since GB comes from Carlos Jr & Carlos Snr. What's the difference?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
My (now ex) GB gym just dropped its affiliation, which kinda sucks for me because we never followed the GB curriculum/rules and now I can't drop in at GB gyms for free when I'm travelling :(

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ask away Log.

In our Gracie Barra class, the fundamental classes get taught a fair bit of self defense but I dunno if that's Helio self defense, since GB comes from Carlos Jr & Carlos Snr. What's the difference?

No clue other than the book shows some skeletor looking dude, beating up on a guy thirty years younger and two feet taller than him. Also Judo chopping the dude whose having an argument with you is a valid self defense.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I want a book on the Renzo Gracie school of self defense. Topics include "livetweeting while preparing to commit an assault", "bringing a posse to back you up while getting revenge on a bouncer for a perceived lack of 'hespec'," and "self defense for posterity: rewarding your children for following your awful example."

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Somebody old-school should write a book or make a DVD set specifically about the self-defence aspects of the old Gracie curriculum for the sake of posterity before they die. That way the "self-defence vs sport" whinebabies can stop whining about how the art will be lost, and future generations can look back on it as a historical document and say "these are bad, why did they bother recording this"

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Gracie Combatives is kind of an attempt at that I guess

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Also it all seems to gloss over the fact that 99% of physical altercation that are more than two guys grabbing each other and falling over weaiting to be broken up are done in seconds. Most fights are about as long as it takes one punch to land. Hence the whole "situational awareness de-escalation" poo poo.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

This is the only self-defence video you'll ever need.

https://vimeo.com/35730660

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

This is the only self-defence video you'll ever need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5fjmu4899c

FTFY

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Captain Log posted:

Also it all seems to gloss over the fact that 99% of physical altercation that are more than two guys grabbing each other and falling over weaiting to be broken up are done in seconds. Most fights are about as long as it takes one punch to land. Hence the whole "situational awareness de-escalation" poo poo.

And of course the guy that landed the one punch "wins". My friend a former boxer still gets worked up over the time he got hit by an extremely weak sucker punch but before he could do anything the fight was broken up and the story was he got beat up.

I think he tried to challenge the guy to a fight or to come down to the gym. But the dude just claimed he didn't want to hurt him worse. Master troll right there.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 20, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Xguard86 posted:

And of course the guy that landed the one punch "wins". My friend a former boxer still gets worked up over the time he got hit by an extremely weak sucker punch but before he could do anything the fight was broken up and the story was he got beat up.

I think he tried to challenge the guy to a fight or to come down to the gym. But the dude just claimed he didn't want to hurt him worse. Master troll right there.

Your friend should have pulled out his neck knife and menaced away anyone trying to break them up. It sounds like your friend is bad at self defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Sakuraba has a Youtube channel now.