Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Power of Pecota posted:

Re: the preview, who were the guests besides the two obvious ones? I think I saw Jeongbum or whatever the cartoonist guy from S3 but I'm not really confident in that

Sangmin, Cartoonist dude from season 1, Doohee (hacker) from season 2, Ahyoung and I guess the other cartoonist from season 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Symbolic Butt posted:

Sangmin, Cartoonist dude from season 1, Doohee (hacker) from season 2, Ahyoung and I guess the other cartoonist from season 3?

The cartoonists are Poong and Jongbum, respectively.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Also, lets give Jinho some proper credit for picking up on the value of 34 and riding that one pick all the way to the win. Didn't he manage to literally only have 33-34-35 at the end? Everyone else was running out of chips and trading garnets like crazy, and Jinho just sits on his throne and coasts to the win, with admittedly a bit of alliance forming with Hyunmin. With 35 in particular he could have let that rotate even more than he did, you could easily get 20-25 chips/garnets for it out of a solid 4 rotations, unless someone just gets frustrated like Dongmin appeared to and ends it early just so you don't get the chips. I suppose 3 rotations is probably optimal in a metagame/playing the players sense though, so you don't risk too much and tempt someone to take a relatively minor hit to prevent you from gaining a big lead.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It would've really been close between Jinho and Tittygod if a) Tittygod didn't take that number at the end for no reason and b) Dongmin didn't jump on that 32 or whatever it was to slow Jinho/Hyunmin down

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Fast Luck posted:

It would've really been close between Jinho and Tittygod if a) Tittygod didn't take that number at the end for no reason and b) Dongmin didn't jump on that 32 or whatever it was to slow Jinho/Hyunmin down

Yeah, Jinho didn't quite ride to a win entirely on his own merits/plan, but he did come up with a simple idea and ride it out while everyone else was sweating whether their numbers would appear to fill their 4-5 number chains. I think Tittygod had the other good idea though, get a few low numbers then just constantly pass. If you're willing to dig deep into your garnet stash, you could pick up a win just by being willing to pass a bunch and picking up small-ish numbers when they have a fair amount of chips on them. He was able to offset his passing losses a bit too by clearly being the player who was willing to pick up certain numbers due to his low score at the time, or because he would make a fuss and act like he'd take a number. He was involved in the most garnet deals by far.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm sadden by the result.

I'm excited and terrified by the potential in the next few episodes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

STOP IT, DONGMIN! SHE'S ALREADY DEAD!!

So many people throwing away their personal advantage in this main match when it could have gone against them badly. I was expecting Kyunghoon to suddenly derail everyone's plans and act as the kingmaker in that game, and eventually he was... except he handed the game to Jinho.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 19, 2015

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

NowonSA posted:

Also, lets give Jinho some proper credit for picking up on the value of 34 and riding that one pick all the way to the win. Didn't he manage to literally only have 33-34-35 at the end? Everyone else was running out of chips and trading garnets like crazy, and Jinho just sits on his throne and coasts to the win, with admittedly a bit of alliance forming with Hyunmin. With 35 in particular he could have let that rotate even more than he did, you could easily get 20-25 chips/garnets for it out of a solid 4 rotations, unless someone just gets frustrated like Dongmin appeared to and ends it early just so you don't get the chips. I suppose 3 rotations is probably optimal in a metagame/playing the players sense though, so you don't risk too much and tempt someone to take a relatively minor hit to prevent you from gaining a big lead.

I was so overwhelmed by the one-sided deathmatch that I completely forgot about this. I was SO happy to see Jinho come back into his own. Snagging 34 was sheer brilliance, and I'm glad he was able to work with Hyunmin but it wasn't entirely necessary.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

poong poong poong!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Davincie posted:

poong poong poong!

~Aigo

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Jinho's strategy was good, but if he doesn't ally with the inevitable lower 30s person, he's taking that 6% chance of insta-losing off the hidden 35 and he's just gonna be spewing out garnets and chips rolling the dice until it comes out. If you can mitigate the -35 and they have few chips, you might as well take it, make someone a king, split the tokens and send the 34-dude into the deathmatch. It wasn't solo-flawless, but it did set him up in a very nice position. He did play well tho, after a couple of very lackluster performances. Mostly everyone played well, really. Junseok got Tittygod'd out of a joint win for some reason at the last second after piecing it out, Jinho/Hyunmin did the thing with the smart people playing together, Tittygod himself was in control of the game more often than not and Dongmin did the thing where he's Dongmin and talks himself into the good graces of the person in control of the game more often than not.

As for the deathmatch, Dongmin smashed poor Kyungran and Kyunghoon bought him the hammer. It was painful to watch, but it was also skillful because that game makes me panic just watching it so keeping composure even with a good method is amazing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That main match was quite a ride. Jinho's plan worked out beautifully for him. He was really lucky to get that early start though. Poor Kyungran got screwed by bad luck, for the most part.

Kyunghoon, you're playing with fire. I've fallen in love with the shrewd calculated troll that he was since beating Sangmin, but this is a whole different game that he played. He toed a very fine line with the way he played with the course of the main match, and if things don't go just right for him then he's gonna get hanged and left to dry in the coming episodes.

But more importantly, AHYOUNG HYPE!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I wonder if Ahyoung will screw over Dongmin for great justice.

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

Nuna :(

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dealer nuna is still fine :colbert:

Also, Confident Kyunghoon is the best Genius character, he's been consistently hilarious.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Jesus, that was just a straight up massacre in the deathmatch. Jinho had it right: "At least we won't have to face him in Hap! Gyul!".

also hell yes doohee back to wreck poo poo

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, Jinho didn't quite ride to a win entirely on his own merits/plan, but he did come up with a simple idea and ride it out while everyone else was sweating whether their numbers would appear to fill their 4-5 number chains. I think Tittygod had the other good idea though, get a few low numbers then just constantly pass. If you're willing to dig deep into your garnet stash, you could pick up a win just by being willing to pass a bunch and picking up small-ish numbers when they have a fair amount of chips on them. He was able to offset his passing losses a bit too by clearly being the player who was willing to pick up certain numbers due to his low score at the time, or because he would make a fuss and act like he'd take a number. He was involved in the most garnet deals by far.

Kyunghoon basically played his role perfectly. He made so many deals that I'm pretty sure he still walked out of the game with a 3-4 garnet lead on everyone else despite spending most of the game using garnets to pass.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

WrightOfWay posted:

Kyunghoon basically played his role perfectly. He made so many deals that I'm pretty sure he still walked out of the game with a 3-4 garnet lead on everyone else despite spending most of the game using garnets to pass.

I have no idea what the garnet counts are. Next episode is going to be interesting.

S4E8: It's amazing how this group concocted a strategy out of this. This game flew over my head in the second season, but I totally understood the strategy this time because everyone was so shrewd. This was really a day for small alliances and individual play. The hidden two really throw a wrench into the works. It'd be interesting to see what could have happened if both hidden ones, or more of them were up for auction too.

The deathmatch wasn't great, but it really showed what practice and strategy can do.

S4E9 Preview: Ugh, another alliance heavy game. I would have liked for it to be more individual, but it will be nice to see all of those people back again. It looks like Sangmin is going to do be the spoiler again and Kyunghoon is going to have some work to do to erase the giant target he has made for himself with two of the returnees.

On the bright side, I remember Ahyoung having a bone to pick with Dongmin last season too, so that will be fun to see if anything develops.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Symbolic Butt posted:

Wow, I was sleepy as hell if I couldn't recognize Poong, he's a treasure. Outside of Jongbum I'm excited to see all of them next week.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

CommaToes posted:

S4E9 Preview: Ugh, another alliance heavy game. I would have liked for it to be more individual, but it will be nice to see all of those people back again. It looks like Sangmin is going to do be the spoiler again and Kyunghoon is going to have some work to do to erase the giant target he has made for himself with two of the returnees.

Since when have the previews been edited in a way that accurately portrays reality? Kyunghoon is going to be completely fine. Last week's preview foretold a Dongmin/Kyunghoon conflict. I feel like Horror race will be more interesting the second time around now that everyone's figured out that dogpiling the same monster won't work.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

archduke.iago posted:

Since when have the previews been edited in a way that accurately portrays reality? Kyunghoon is going to be completely fine. Last week's preview foretold a Dongmin/Kyunghoon conflict. I feel like Horror race will be more interesting the second time around now that everyone's figured out that dogpiling the same monster won't work.
I wonder if the producers are going to keep the magnet gimmick no one figured out the first time around, although I'm not sure if it would make things more interesting now that the players (hopefully) know about it. Strong guest lineup for the next game, although I'd rather see Yeonjoo instead of Jongbum.

This episode's match was good, it was nice watching Minus Auction not getting derailed by Yohwan and Jinho's strategy was pretty solid. Its weakness was Kyunghoon's insanely large garnet pool letting him skip numbers without much repercussion, so I wonder how well it'd do if he didn't have that advantage?

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 19, 2015

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Jongbeum was like a combination of Doohee and Poong so it's gonna be weird to have all three of them together.

Also Kyunghoon's arc has followed Sunggyu's in a lot of ways, so it only makes sense he'll lose because Sangmin screws him over in a track race :v:

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Capsaicin posted:

also hell yes doohee back to wreck poo poo

:lol:

I hope he lies on the floor again when he loses.

Also I wonder if Dong will still get to use his magic hands.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
The way the reveal of the hidden cube was edited was really weird. For a moment I thought the video had skipped. It was also strange how there was such limited competition over the lower numbers but instead players opted to go for higher ranges right from the start. Especially considering the presence of the hidden numbers made it much more risky.

Kyungran was the weakest player remaining and I didn't really understand why people thought she would reach the finals. At this point you aren't going to win most of these deathmatches without practising in advance. I think that's why tittygod felt confident enough not to take the win, there is no way he would have lost if he had been picked. In fact, it would have been an opportunity to show his skills again and reduce the chance if being picked for a deathmatch in the future.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
What the gently caress is a "contents trend leader"?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Piriwi posted:

The way the reveal of the hidden cube was edited was really weird. For a moment I thought the video had skipped. It was also strange how there was such limited competition over the lower numbers but instead players opted to go for higher ranges right from the start. Especially considering the presence of the hidden numbers made it much more risky.

Kyungran was the weakest player remaining and I didn't really understand why people thought she would reach the finals. At this point you aren't going to win most of these deathmatches without practising in advance. I think that's why tittygod felt confident enough not to take the win, there is no way he would have lost if he had been picked. In fact, it would have been an opportunity to show his skills again and reduce the chance if being picked for a deathmatch in the future.

You can always lose these death matches. Gyul Hap is the closest after Twelve Janggi to one you can take with pure skill but Quattro? That's so much luck, and double-sided poker will have plenty of luck too.

I agree the edit was weird. I was paying full attention while watching and still thought I must have missed it, so I rewound, which confirmed they didn't show it... and then they revealed it after the death match, haha.

My theory on the market for low numbers goes like this:
If a low number comes up early, one of the first people to get a shot at it will obviously take it.
But as more big numbers come out, and people pass them around, gradually each player will get tired of being chipped away and will cave, taking a bigger number to take the chip pot. Obviously Kyunghoon can hold out the longest on that.
Now that most players are invested somewhere and have some chips, taking a -9 or -8 or whatever doesn't do them any good unless it goes around the table once for chips. But it probably won't because there will be a person or two that can take it without being hurt.

The game balance is somewhat self-regulating, as players can track how many chips the others have and actually calculate things like "if this 35 goes around the table one more time, Jinho still will be behind me, so I'll pass" or "If they pass this 32 around the table twice they'll be unstoppable" and so on. Not saying the game will hit a literal market equilibrium but I think there's a reason Junseok, with his numbers around 12, Kyunghoon, with his low numbers but lack of chips, and Jinho, who got chips on the 35 and 33, were all neck and neck at the end.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
I'm a little bit confused, can someone explain to me why tittygod took the -12 cube? He could have just let Junseok take it and get the joint win. Wouldn't that have been better for him and Dongmin than Jihno winning?

Monochromiicorn
Nov 14, 2012
Maybe he thought Kyungran would pick Junseok for the DM? He got on her case a few times and she was pretty tight with Dongmin for most of the season. Its a reasonable guess.

It is Titty God though so who knows.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Fast Luck posted:

You can always lose these death matches. Gyul Hap is the closest after Twelve Janggi to one you can take with pure skill but Quattro? That's so much luck, and double-sided poker will have plenty of luck too.

I'd rate gyul hap as 'fairer' fwiw than twelve janggi which has a second move advantage. If they fix the boards so that given perfect play each player would have a chance to call gyul 5 times it would probably be the only completely fair deathmatch.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Is Minus Auction based on a current board game or anything?

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Probably this one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Can Of Worms posted:

I wonder if the producers are going to keep the magnet gimmick no one figured out the first time around, although I'm not sure if it would make things more interesting now that the players (hopefully) know about it. Strong guest lineup for the next game, although I'd rather see Yeonjoo instead of Jongbum.

We're talking about an upcoming episode now so... Probably not. Since the episode aired in Korea by the time they're shooting (I think they're usually two or three weeks ahead) they're all going to know about it.

Kitiara posted:

I'm a little bit confused, can someone explain to me why tittygod took the -12 cube? He could have just let Junseok take it and get the joint win. Wouldn't that have been better for him and Dongmin than Jihno winning?

Two things. Dongmin was going to lose so he decided to join him for some unfathomable reason. The other possibility is that he was so geared up to spoil someone's win he finally decided to just spoil his own. He was doing so well right up to that point, too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Did they ever explain what would happen if everyone (or everyone except for a single person) tied?

It wasn't super likely on this game, but fish market would be easy for that to happen.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tunicate posted:

Did they ever explain what would happen if everyone (or everyone except for a single person) tied?

It wasn't super likely on this game, but fish market would be easy for that to happen.

It would be extremely unlikely for that to happen, but if it did I imagine they would then bring Garnet counts into the equation to figure out who the winner was.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Interesting main game, everyone for the most part did well with differing strategies.

Main thoughts about the episode:

Tittygod reverting to tittygod (as someone said earlier) by not taking the joint win - which did nothing for either him or Dongmin who both ended up as potential death match candidates. Would've made more sense to just take a win. Ah well...

Kyungran failed so miserably at the death match. It almost seems like she didn't practice at all, which is a bit silly since you know everyone else left has most likely practiced all these games. That said I can't fault her play too much because 1) once you're behind, it's a psychological battle not to get too rattled, which she obviously was after the first round or two, 2) she had issues calling gyul the first time around, too. Probably because she was not systemic in finding all the matches. I can understand the whole "but what if I missed one and I'll be wrong!" fear, though.

Not surprised she went home. I'm curious to see whether Junseok or Kyunghoon can do well against Dongmin & Hyunmin, so I'm kind of glad they're still in.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
It looks like since Tittydog claimed he had the spirit of Sangmin since he was eliminated, Sangmin is coming in the next episode with the spirit of Tittydog. Which means he wears pajamas and fucks with Kyunghoon.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Clocks posted:

Tittygod reverting to tittygod (as someone said earlier) by not taking the joint win - which did nothing for either him or Dongmin who both ended up as potential death match candidates. Would've made more sense to just take a win. Ah well...

I honestly think Kyunghoon just made a simple mistake here; he either just miscounted Jinho's chips and was going for the sole win, or thought that Kyungran would pick Junseok for the DM: had he accepted Junseok's deal, Kyungran would have been more likely to pick Dongmin. Preventing Junseok from having a token reduces Dongmin's DM chances.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

archduke.iago posted:

I honestly think Kyunghoon just made a simple mistake here; he either just miscounted Jinho's chips and was going for the sole win, or thought that Kyungran would pick Junseok for the DM: had he accepted Junseok's deal, Kyungran would have been more likely to pick Dongmin. Preventing Junseok from having a token reduces Dongmin's DM chances.

I think that's what happened.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I wasn't the only person waiting for one of them to miss the bucket when they threw a chip, right? So happy that happened.

Also, it's pretty crazy that Dongmin and Hyunmin will have both competed in at least 21 straight episodes. Between them they've pretty much defined the show over the past two years. (I know that technically speaking Sangmin appeared in 24 straight episodes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Is anybody else having trouble with the MEGA links on the fansubber's tumblr? Whenever I try to access one,it adds the word "chrome" to the URL for some reason,making it lead to a blank screen. When I try to manually correct the URL by removing the word, it fucks itself up again. What do?