Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The whole point of Season 1 was Dany's and Roz's tits.

The whole point of Season 2 was that ugly girl's tits (the one Theon was loving) and Roz's tits.

The whole point of Season 3 was Osha's and Roz's tits.

The whole point of Season 4 was prostie tits.

The whole point of Season 5 was Not-Cersei's tits and Tits The Titsnake's tits.

If you tuned in for anything else, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

You forgot Mel's tits.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Was it always super obvious lady merryweather was a tyrell spy who either threw cersei's maid under the bus or framed her to get in good with the queen reagent? It hit me when Cersei is all "well she was the ONLY one who saw tyrion put the poison in the cup so I can trust her". I can't remember if I ever noticed that line before and how it strongly fingers her as lady olenna's catspaw.
Am I a dummy that needs a third reading to pick up on something or did this plotline go nowhere and I just forgot about it?

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
A plotline that went nowhere? Surely not in my ASoIaF!

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Krinkle posted:

did this plotline go nowhere and I just forgot about it?

The answer to this question is yes for every plotline in the series.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

frankenfreak posted:

You forgot Mel's tits.

Those were and continue to be the best imo

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Like instead of a lady ringing a bell and saying "shame", she would do a sick guitar riff and say "hell yeah".

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Were all the ironborn season 6 posters just fake teasing?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Daktari posted:

Were all the ironborn season 6 posters just fake teasing?

We do not know.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Grendels Dad posted:

We Do Not Know.

too subtle

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mind the walrus posted:

There's an episode of Buffy in Season 5 where they show a quartet of vampires amidst the chaos of a Chinese Revolution around the turn of the 20th Century, it involves two sets-- an inner temple and just outside that temple--and it manages to convey a sense of scale I never got from GoT showing a fleet of ships attacking a city bay amidst green napalm. That's not even anger-provoking... it's just sad.

Ironic considering the enormous loving budget the show is running on. HBO can and has made large scale action sequences. Band of Brothers and The Pacific can attest to that. But then they also had Tom Hanks and Spielberg there to actually produce the shows as well.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Krinkle posted:

Was it always super obvious lady merryweather was a tyrell spy who either threw cersei's maid under the bus or framed her to get in good with the queen reagent? It hit me when Cersei is all "well she was the ONLY one who saw tyrion put the poison in the cup so I can trust her". I can't remember if I ever noticed that line before and how it strongly fingers her as lady olenna's catspaw.
Am I a dummy that needs a third reading to pick up on something or did this plotline go nowhere and I just forgot about it?

She's not Olenna's agent, she's Varys's agent.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

HELLO LADIES posted:

She's not Olenna's agent, she's Varys's agent.

Are you just being cute or do you have anything to support that? Lady Olenna killed joffrey, yelled "holy poo poo this kid is choking someone fuckin do something" first and then a lady who came with her to court fingers the dwarf falsely to draw attention even further from the Tyrells. Lady olenna forced the marriage, was being shoved out of king's landing, but Maryweather is left behind to spy on the gosh dang queen.

I mean yeah varys wanted tyrion to kill tywin. He don't-toss-me-in-the-briar-patched tyrion pretty hard going "no don't this is silly, thirty seven rungs up second door on the left cocked crossbow on the wall gut wounds are fatal stop no don't do it", but it would have to be a ridiculous long con to have brought her over from myr to marry some random idiot in the lesser tyrell bannermen just in case the tyrells ever married the lannisters, and I don't think you can vet an agent in that short of time if she just happened to show up and be game for skullduggery.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
we were cruelly robbed of sam's enormous heaving bosoms by bearskin and boiled leather lies

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The history channel managed to get a greater sense of scale for their trashy show than HBO.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

Krinkle posted:

Are you just being cute or do you have anything to support that? Lady Olenna killed joffrey, yelled "holy poo poo this kid is choking someone fuckin do something" first and then a lady who came with her to court fingers the dwarf falsely to draw attention even further from the Tyrells. Lady olenna forced the marriage, was being shoved out of king's landing, but Maryweather is left behind to spy on the gosh dang queen.

I mean yeah varys wanted tyrion to kill tywin. He don't-toss-me-in-the-briar-patched tyrion pretty hard going "no don't this is silly, thirty seven rungs up second door on the left cocked crossbow on the wall gut wounds are fatal stop no don't do it", but it would have to be a ridiculous long con to have brought her over from myr to marry some random idiot in the lesser tyrell bannermen just in case the tyrells ever married the lannisters, and I don't think you can vet an agent in that short of time if she just happened to show up and be game for skullduggery.

If Taena was actually Olenna's agent, she'd have completely hosed herself by giving Cersei information that led to Margaery being imprisoned and her powerbase weakened. Her actions also directly benefits Varys's agenda (basically, gently caress poo poo up in King's Landing for Aegon to return triumphant), not the Tyrells, and she takes action that make it clear she's at least somewhat aware of KL being in for a hell of a time; she books out after Cersei's taken but also makes sure her son never comes to KL, which wouldn't be nearly as risky or suspicious if she was betting on a Tyrell victory. She's also from Myr, which Varys at least claims to be from and certainly has agents and a network in. Their marriage makes no sense if she's just a random from Myr who married some random rear end in a top hat knight then threw in with the Tyrells. People from Essos don't give a gently caress about Westeros social rankings and everyone in the Free Cities thinks they're gross, lame barbarians. It would have been an epic downgrade, and she's clearly not actually all that into her husband, given that she tells Cersei about being a giant slut and also loving that dude who may or may not have been Euron. Her husband was also an exiled knight whose grandad served as Hand for Aerys for a while, and was kicked out probably due to Varys's machinations. He's in the exact same situation as all the dudes in the Golden Company and may even have been a GC member at one point, and even if he wasn't, they probably knew him and his family was one Varys would have been keeping an eye on for Robert anyway.Then there's the question of who convinced Robert to restore his lands and titles so he could come back. It doesn't seem like something Jon Arryn would have been in favor of or that Robert would have particularly been willing to go along with just for his own sake, since even though Aerys went crazy on the dude's grandpa, his family were still Targaryen loyalists. If you think it's ridiculous that Varys would have one of his agents marry some random Westerosi exile, you're not actually paying attention to the history, or the timeline of Varys's plotting in the first place.

TL;DR everything she does benefits and points back to Varys, and she and her husband spent their entire pre-AFFC lives in Illyrio/Varys's sphere of influence, not the Tyrells.

HELLO LADIES fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 19, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
uhh her name is taena - obviously she is a blackfyre, as well (see: daemon blackfyre's mother was named Daena)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 19, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Goddamn that owns thank you very much. I enjoyed reading that.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

That is a great write up. That character always pissed me off because I could only think about how stupid Cersei was for trusting her and how obvious it was that she's a Tyrell plant. That adds the necessary depth to make her actually interesting, but it also goes to show how deeply Martin failed to properly set up the Blackfyre movement. I'm not too observant of a reader (I had no idea Jon was a Targaryan or how Littlefinger was behind everything) but while I instantly picked up on Aegon being a fake I never connected it to the Blackfyre lore. I don't really think that's my fault as a reader because Martin went out of his way to obscure the most interesting parts of his storyline so he could 'shock' us with twists and turns. Maybe I'd feel differently if he bothered to include an ending to his books anymore.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Goddamn it

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Lady Taena Stinkfinger

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

Brother Friendship posted:

That is a great write up. That character always pissed me off because I could only think about how stupid Cersei was for trusting her and how obvious it was that she's a Tyrell plant. That adds the necessary depth to make her actually interesting, but it also goes to show how deeply Martin failed to properly set up the Blackfyre movement. I'm not too observant of a reader (I had no idea Jon was a Targaryan or how Littlefinger was behind everything) but while I instantly picked up on Aegon being a fake I never connected it to the Blackfyre lore. I don't really think that's my fault as a reader because Martin went out of his way to obscure the most interesting parts of his storyline so he could 'shock' us with twists and turns. Maybe I'd feel differently if he bothered to include an ending to his books anymore.

Yeah, that actually reminds I forgot what's maybe the most damning bit: Olenna's not nearly as much of a moron as Cersei and everything in the books that makes us go "goddamn Cersei u a fool for trusting this shady bitch" would also hold true for Olenna herself. Okay, the Merryweathers are technically Tyrell bannerman, but Orton's been hosed off to Essos what seems like half his life, Taena's this random foreigner, and the Tyrells were probably more than happy to take the Merryweather lands/title and give them to some other bannermen they wanted to favor or to their kids, and keep in mind in the books Loras is like the third or fourth son or some poo poo, and even though he's a gay kingsguard the other two non-heirs have wives and kids and poo poo that need taken care of. It's not at a Walder Frey level, but still, she has absolutely no reason whatsoever to even like the Merryweathers all that much, let alone trust this random foreigner who married in with "entire House line ended if found guilty"-level treason. Cersei's a drunk idiot but why would Olenna do that? It's hinted she didn't even trust Margaery with the poison plot, it's kind of ambiguous whether she knew or not, and that could have gotten Marg killed. Just being like "oh yeah btw we killed Joffrey, now go lie to his mom about it" is incredibly stupid. Having to trust Littlefinger and whoever else helped out with it is a necessary evil, but LF makes a point of killing Dontos and I doubt Olenna is any less cautious.

I feel like GRRM goes out of his way to obscure all of this poo poo because he basically hates his readership and is a sneering rear end in a top hat, and it's a way of masturbating over his own cleverness. Like how apparently he told some dude he was going to lie about writing a trilogy and just keep writing it for the rest of his life like a cynical rear end in a top hat. It's not good writing, it's just GRRM sneering at everyone for being too much plebes to appreciate his repetitive science fiction.

HELLO LADIES fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 19, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

What exactly went through Olenna's mind when she's watching the trial and this lady she brought to court says tyrion did it.
Olenna can't say poo poo but now is she thinking "this lady knows I did it, and is trying to get in good with me by blaming someone else"?
"Lots of people are wrong who cares"? "Wow lucky break, moving on?"I feel like she'd have put her in a bowl of brown if she thought the lady was lying.

Is she a nice pete or a ray on this windfall?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

HELLO LADIES posted:

I feel like GRRM goes out of his way to obscure all of this poo poo because he basically hates his readership and is a sneering rear end in a top hat, and it's a way of masturbating over his own cleverness. Like how apparently he told some dude he was going to lie about writing a trilogy and just keep writing it for the rest of his life like a cynical rear end in a top hat. It's not good writing, it's just GRRM sneering at everyone for being too much plebes to appreciate his repetitive science fiction.

Err, settle down retard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008

Krinkle posted:

What exactly went through Olenna's mind when she's watching the trial and this lady she brought to court says tyrion did it.
Olenna can't say poo poo but now is she thinking "this lady knows I did it, and is trying to get in good with me by blaming someone else"?
"Lots of people are wrong who cares"? "Wow lucky break, moving on?"I feel like she'd have put her in a bowl of brown if she thought the lady was lying.

How'd she feel about Shae and everyone else Varys dredged up to lie to the court including Varys himself, when she'd have been perfectly aware they were lying? Knowing that you're lying about something isn't the same as knowing who is paying the guy who is paying you to do the lying and why.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Are people pissed off on the internet though? Everywhere I go but here it's a massive hugbox for the series, mostly from people who watch it half-heartedly not understanding who half the characters are because opening a wiki is like the biggest waste of time even though spending 10 hours with a series you don't even fully understand seems like a bigger one.

As for the budget... I recall tuning out after the first season of the show because I could tell that ACoK wouldn't adapt that well structurally and the first three or so episodes seemed to vindicate that supposition, and tuning in for the Battle of Blackwater made me realize that even at this show's "time to go for broke" spectacle moments they still couldn't make a battle sequence that looked better than a more expensive Buffy/Angel Ren Faire affair. I saw a YT of the Riot scene though and that was decently handled.

There's an episode of Buffy in Season 5 where they show a quartet of vampires amidst the chaos of a Chinese Revolution around the turn of the 20th Century, it involves two sets-- an inner temple and just outside that temple--and it manages to convey a sense of scale I never got from GoT showing a fleet of ships attacking a city bay amidst green napalm. That's not even anger-provoking... it's just sad.

Trapped on planes for over 20 hours, I watched Season 4 and 5. It is depressing how badly they screwed up scenes that could have been well done. Blackwater was bad, but the North was even worse. Stannis's 'army' of a few dozen horsemen running into a forest somehow defeats Mance's 100,000 man army, which is actually about 40 guys in a camp. Stannis outside of Winterfell was even worse. The idiots who thought identical wildling fur uniforms looked good should all be shot. (Likewise the colorcoded Mereen uniforms.) The 'Mance attacks the Wall' episode looked passable even if it was utterly nonsensical on a tactical level. I guess Hardhome was decent?

Also fireball skeletons and sandsnakes. And more inexplicable bad plot changes.

Martin is poo poo at math and logistics, but that is no excuse to make bad TV by lowballing the numbers.

i81icu812 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 20, 2015

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Blackwater was a really good episode I don't know what in the gently caress you guys are talking about.

Seasons 4 and 5 were pretty bleh though

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
Outside of a few pieces of costuming, occasionally good CGI, maybe one in three fights' worth of choreography, and the increasingly rare actor-carried scene, not a penny of the show's budget shows up on screen or in the script.

The show and books have diverged sufficiently by this point for the ":qq: b-b-b-b-b-ut no one has ever made a good adaptation of a bad story, no I've never heard of Apocalypse Now is that like an fps map" crowd to have no points left to make. Considering that great things like the north in ADWD happen later in the series while utter schlock like most of ACOK exists earlier, the idea that the books get worse in a strictly linear fashion is complete bullshit. Source material shortcomings only have a bearing on an adaptation when the people doing the adaptation give a poo poo about making a decent adaptation. GoT is in the hands of gross incompetents at best or shady Hollywood embezzler incompetents at worst. The show makes AFFC and ADWD look like literary masterpieces. They're not.

Also Blackwater was pretty good and probably my favorite episode of season 2. Neil Marshall had enough sense to use the camera to minimize the effects of not having enough people on set to properly convey the scale, the CGI is more than passable for TV, and the script had yet to fall to such depths that a few dedicated actors couldn't save it.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Every battle scene in the show looks like Monty Python, that's just a consequence of having a TV budget. The best parts of Blackwater were the Cersei scenes inside.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Remember when the show hired a pair of tits and then accidentally asked them to do a fight scene and it was the funniest thing?

:bell rings:

SHAME

I'm just glad that the TV show managed to make Dorne even more painful to get through than the book did.

Ygritte :swoon:

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Brother Friendship posted:

I guess the Blackfyre angle is much more obvious in his works if you get a chance to read all of his ASOIAF, including the Dunk and Eggs stuff. But since most of those books were pretty unavailable until recently, that was hard to do.

So I've been thinking more recently about the portrayal of religion in ASOIAF, and have become more and more dissatisfied with how GRRM portrays all the major religions. This article sums up pretty much how I've been feeling about it; GRRM went through the motions to set up religions in the fictional world, because to not have them at all would be pretty bonkers, but he did very little to really flesh them out beyond bare bones attempts, and strips his parallels of many medieval religions of any valuable contributions, essentially just making them another political institution. The amount of POV characters who are agnostic at best, or truly don't value religion is pretty egregious when you go back and read volumes on medieval history; piety and religion were extremely important to people back then, and informed many of their decisions. In ASOIAF, outside of a very few characters (Aeron, Melisandre, and Catelyn to some degree) religion feels mostly like window dressing,

I'm wondering if GRRM partially displayed religion this way due to his owned biases of being a lapsed Catholic. Thoughts?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I guess the Blackfyre angle is much more obvious in his works if you get a chance to read all of his ASOIAF, including the Dunk and Eggs stuff. But since most of those books were pretty unavailable until recently, that was hard to do.

So I've been thinking more recently about the portrayal of religion in ASOIAF, and have become more and more dissatisfied with how GRRM portrays all the major religions. This article sums up pretty much how I've been feeling about it; GRRM went through the motions to set up religions in the fictional world, because to not have them at all would be pretty bonkers, but he did very little to really flesh them out beyond bare bones attempts, and strips his parallels of many medieval religions of any valuable contributions, essentially just making them another political institution. The amount of POV characters who are agnostic at best, or truly don't value religion is pretty egregious when you go back and read volumes on medieval history; piety and religion were extremely important to people back then, and informed many of their decisions. In ASOIAF, outside of a very few characters (Aeron, Melisandre, and Catelyn to some degree) religion feels mostly like window dressing,

I'm wondering if GRRM partially displayed religion this way due to his owned biases of being a lapsed Catholic. Thoughts?

why does religious fanaticism in a fictional world have to mirror religious fanatacism in history?

It seems to me that faith in the seven actually provides nothing for the people while in our real history christianity was very politically motivated at the time.

Tge only thing he really should have fleshed out more is maybe an origin story.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I feel like a bunch of characters mention the gods all the goddamn time like davos and he doesn't do it for power it's a grappling of his faith vs. the rising tide of eastern mysticism. I guess I don't get this line of questioning being a lapsed catholic also. In a world where some religions can set birds on fire, or control animals, then a catholic-church-without-the-scholarship does seem lame and pointless and I guess if you want to pick a favorite fake religions of all godddamn things then I guess you'd be disappointed your home team is so anemic? I'm really having a hard time understanding why you would though?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

TommyGun85 posted:

why does religious fanaticism in a fictional world have to mirror religious fanatacism in history?

You're mistaking "religious fanaticism" for intense religious belief, the two are not synonymous. A pious individual is not the same thing as an individual who is willing to be violent for their faith. The entire medieval period did not consist of the Crusdes and Jihad.

quote:

It seems to me that faith in the seven actually provides nothing for the people while in our real history christianity was very politically motivated at the time.

That's kind of what I've felt too. The Seven faith has the ideas of confession/sin, but there doesn't seem to be a redeeming figure of the religion, and from what we've seen so far it doesn't offer any of the typical "salvation" element Christianity or Islam did that resulted in many of the poor, destitute, and the oppressed of Rome and Arabia respectively from joining up. There's no charity, no hospital systems, and the code of chivalry seems to sprout out from nowhere, or at least is very badly defined.

I feel as though if history were allowed to run its course on Planetos, R'Hllorism would overtake the Seven eventually. It seems to be much more popular with the common masses, and seems like a religion of the dispossessed, as seen in Volantis.

krinkle posted:

I feel like a bunch of characters mention the gods all the goddamn time like davos and he doesn't do it for power it's a grappling of his faith vs. the rising tide of eastern mysticism.

I did forget Davos I suppose. Still, most of the mentions of "the gods" in the books is usually a line like "The gods did not hear my prayers", or "the gods didn't answer", which is a pretty depressing angle on religious prayer.

quote:

I guess I don't get this line of questioning being a lapsed catholic also. In a world where some religions can set birds on fire, or control animals, then a catholic-church-without-the-scholarship does seem lame and pointless and I guess if you want to pick a favorite fake religions of all godddamn things then I guess you'd be disappointed your home team is so anemic? I'm really having a hard time understanding why you would though?

My question is that GRRM sets out to make his world as "realistic" as possible, and justifies the high levels of violence, misogyny, and power politics behind a veil of "it's realistic for the time period, that's what happened". Yet with religion in his world he seemed to paint a few broad strokes and doesn't seem to let religion have the influence it did realistically in the Medieval Time period. It seems very out of sync considering the pains GRRM has gone through to make other things realistic and logical, and I'm just wondering if that's unintentional bias from his own beliefs about the value of religion.

At the end of the day I'm just disappointed by the portrayal of religion, it seems very cynical and I think he could have done a much better (fairer) job of it.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 20, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Every battle scene in the show looks like Monty Python, that's just a consequence of having a TV budget. The best parts of Blackwater were the Cersei scenes inside.

Except that Game of Thrones has a ludicrous TV budget that gets wasted on stuff we never see on screen. Only The Pacific (20million per episode) and Rome (9 million per episode) cost more for HBO, and those were miniseries and a two season only thing.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 20, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Looks like they're doing some practical effects work for Dany's arc in season 6: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/20/world/hurricane-danny/index.html

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

You're mistaking "religious fanaticism" for intense religious belief, the two are not synonymous. A pious individual is not the same thing as an individual who is willing to be violent for their faith. The entire medieval period did not consist of the Crusdes and Jihad.

That's kind of what I've felt too. The Seven faith has the ideas of confession/sin, but there doesn't seem to be a redeeming figure of the religion, and from what we've seen so far it doesn't offer any of the typical "salvation" element Christianity or Islam did that resulted in many of the poor, destitute, and the oppressed of Rome and Arabia respectively from joining up. There's no charity, no hospital systems, and the code of chivalry seems to sprout out from nowhere, or at least is very badly defined.

I feel as though if history were allowed to run its course on Planetos, R'Hllorism would overtake the Seven eventually. It seems to be much more popular with the common masses, and seems like a religion of the dispossessed, as seen in Volantis.

I did forget Davos I suppose. Still, most of the mentions of "the gods" in the books is usually a line like "The gods did not hear my prayers", or "the gods didn't answer", which is a pretty depressing angle on religious prayer.

My question is that GRRM sets out to make his world as "realistic" as possible, and justifies the high levels of violence, misogyny, and power politics behind a veil of "it's realistic for the time period, that's what happened". Yet with religion in his world he seemed to paint a few broad strokes and doesn't seem to let religion have the influence it did realistically in the Medieval Time period. It seems very out of sync considering the pains GRRM has gone through to make other things realistic and logical, and I'm just wondering if that's unintentional bias from his own beliefs about the value of religion.

At the end of the day I'm just disappointed by the portrayal of religion, it seems very cynical and I think he could have done a much better (fairer) job of it.

Much like geography, math, and etymology, GRRM gives a half-hearted effort at things he doesn't like or understand and calls it good enough.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

i81icu812 posted:

Much like geography, math, and etymology, GRRM gives a half-hearted effort at things he doesn't like or understand and calls it good enough.

But don't get him started on food descriptions! He'll go on for pages and pages. The series would be a lot better and probably finished if he just half assed the entire thing.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

did forget Davos I suppose. Still, most of the mentions of "the gods" in the books is usually a line like "The gods did not hear my prayers", or "the gods didn't answer", which is a pretty depressing angle on religious prayer.

The basic gist I got from the books was that like us they have gods and like our gods they do loving nothing while people make their ministrations and either ascribe random events blindly to their providence or lament the lack of favor they get when poo poo goes pear shaped. Also there are powerful presences in the world that are either confused for gods or maliciously claim the mantle of gods to kind of kick the poo poo out of our deist moves-in-mysterious-ways type of philosophies. Oh god I'm on fire, for example, is a thing a person in real life would say while trying to go through their rosary when getting set on fire by a bloodfuck priestess from the east.

It's been an idea of fiction for at least two hundred years where you show up and gently caress with primitives until they believe your lighter or astrological almanac predicting eclipses are signs of literal godhood. If you could set people on fire with your mind it'd be even easier.

Varys's sellsword riddle puts the church as an equal player with the king and the wealthy. They've got to be a little corrupt to play the game.

Sometimes people have conversations with the dead. I'm assuming Jaime's mother was a faithful member of the church? Is letting her talk to her son a miracle? I'm trying to think if the seven have ever acted on the world in a tangible way. The first time was because he slept on a wierwood stump. Standing up in the church of balor for a week straight is pretty far removed from the wierwood's influence or the red priestess even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Little Kielbasa posted:

i would have totally drank the kool-aid with cersei :swoon:

assuming it was just some strong wine and milk of the poppy and we were all messed up and then we would start fooling around like we were about to be killed

yeah