Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
All of that's helpful, thanks. Just needed some starting guidance to help wrap my head around everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

moot the hopple posted:

All of that's helpful, thanks. Just needed some starting guidance to help wrap my head around everything.

You make your own goals, so you can do whatever you want, but cash and APs are king. If you have both of those in abundance anything you want to get done will be much easier to accomplish.

Oh, also: Try to marry rich if you can. Makes everything easier in the early game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Taerkar posted:

The armor degrades normally, it just has an absolutely massive amount of durability compared to other armors, like a million times more or something crazy like that.

Most armor has a few hundred HP. Leather Armor has 150, for example. The normal T-51b set, which requires an extended quest to receive and progress to late in the story to equip, has 2,000 hp.

The Winterized T-51b from Operation Anchorage, has 9,992,000 hp.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Most armor has a few hundred HP. Leather Armor has 150, for example. The normal T-51b set, which requires an extended quest to receive and progress to late in the story to equip, has 2,000 hp.

You know, I can't help but suspect that that might possibly be a bug.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I always wondered about that :allears:.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gynovore posted:

All of the in-sim armor and weapons have a massive amount of HP so that they don't noticeably degrade. Either they put the wrong armor in the storage room or they decided that it would be that great of a prize for people who didn't want to take the game breaking suit.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Just decided to pick up Pokémon LeafGreen for GBA. I haven't played any pokemon besides Red and Blue when they were out on Gameboy in the 90's. Is there anything special? I know overall its the same game but any general tips? How much grinding is needed?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gynovore posted:

There's an unused version of the Winterized T-51b that was probably supposed to be the reward one as it has 1,000 item HP. I guess the near ten million one was supposed to be used in-sim, as your character picks up Power Armor Training for going through it. Maybe instead of having exactly one armor and watching NPCs get to be the power armored helldozers, you could've been the power armored helldozer?

Item HP in the millions is the norm for in-sim equipment, so your one Combat Shotgun doesn't break with you having no ability to procure a second one.

On paper.

Operation Anchorage has a lot of missing corners if you poke it too hard.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Just decided to pick up Pokémon LeafGreen for GBA. I haven't played any pokemon besides Red and Blue when they were out on Gameboy in the 90's. Is there anything special? I know overall its the same game but any general tips? How much grinding is needed?

I don't know how familiar you are with the mechanics of the game since Red and Blue came out like, 20 years ago, so I'll try to be pretty general. Luckily, FireRed and LeafGreen are among the easier entries in an already-pretty-easy series, and the game itself is a pretty close remake of Red and Blue. Grinding will be a bit lighter compared to the originals, and you'll eventually get an Exp. Share which will make things even easier.

There are two new types that you might run into: Dark (ghost-and-psychic killers, weak to fighting and bugs, good support moves) and Steel (resist nearly everything, immune to poison, not so stellar on offense). All Dark and Steel attacks use regular ol' Attack/Defense stats. Pokemon now have Natures which alter their innate stats somewhat. They also have Abilities which are semi-unique powers inherent in each breed, for instance one might have Pickup and randomly find items, or Torrent which boosts Water moves when your HP is critical. Pokemon can hold one item each, and some items will give the holder an edge (eg., Quick Claw might let a slow pokemon attack first; an Oran Berry will auto-heal you for 10hp, and so on).

3rd gen evolutions are in effect after you beat the game. Clock-based things 2nd gen are out, so no berry farming and no Umbreon and Espeon. I don't think any of the wild 3rd gen pokemon actually show up at any point outside of evolving or breeding, but I believe one of the Legendary Dogs from Gen 2 will show up at some point.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Gynovore posted:

That's not a bug it's a feature. I love that armor as then I don't have to worry about fixing my armor just my guns. Plus then I get to be a stealth sniper in giant power armor.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Do I need to know anything new for Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming? I've beaten the first one.

Specifically, is there anything (items, other upgrades, achievements) missable, or can I just go back and do that particular quest again like in the first game?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition apart from what's already on beforeiplay? So far I'm playing through the prologue. Is there a mod or something that can highlight herbs,places of power, etc. so that I don't have to keep pressing the medallion all the time? It gets annoying. I'm playing on PC.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition apart from what's already on beforeiplay? So far I'm playing through the prologue. Is there a mod or something that can highlight herbs,places of power, etc. so that I don't have to keep pressing the medallion all the time? It gets annoying. I'm playing on PC.

There is an "Enhanced Mod Compilation" that includes that mod, along with a few other quality of life things. Never tried it myself though. Beyond that, you do learn to spot the plants by sight after a while, and there is an audio cue if you run through a place of power, though I think you need to ping it with the medallion to activate it.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Cool, thanks. Going to give the mod compilation a go.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

What should I know before going into Shin Megami Tensei IV?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Vlad the Retailer posted:

- Dexterity is the important stat for physical attacks, it applies twice as effectively as strength.
- Magic or Physical are both perfectly viable, go with whatever you want. Prioritize Dex for physical, Mag for magic, and drop some points into Agility and Luck regardless.
- The first couple serious bosses are the biggest roadblocks in the game. The second can be trivialized by getting a Gremlin in the area before and leveling it a few times, at which point it will evolve into a Raiju and is basically immune to anything the boss can do.
- The best way to get demons to join you is to refuse their first request, then cheat, then end talks. It seems silly, but if you bargain with demons honestly, they'll steal your stuff and either leave or attack you an awful lot of the time.
- Always hit weaknesses when possible. Smirking is very powerful.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The first few hours are insanely hard and really not like the rest of the game at all. You might like them if old-school dungeon crawlers have left you with a cripplingly autistic brain (I loved them) but otherwise don't be put off.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

theshim posted:

- Dexterity is the important stat for physical attacks, it applies twice as effectively as strength.
- Magic or Physical are both perfectly viable, go with whatever you want. Prioritize Dex for physical, Mag for magic, and drop some points into Agility and Luck regardless.
- The first couple serious bosses are the biggest roadblocks in the game. The second can be trivialized by getting a Gremlin in the area before and leveling it a few times, at which point it will evolve into a Raiju and is basically immune to anything the boss can do.
- The best way to get demons to join you is to refuse their first request, then cheat, then end talks. It seems silly, but if you bargain with demons honestly, they'll steal your stuff and either leave or attack you an awful lot of the time.
- Always hit weaknesses when possible. Smirking is very powerful.

A third viable build is a full Agi/Luck build focused on support/ailments; support spells don't use stats at all, and luck is actually really useful in making demon negotiation less annoying. The price to pay for it is kind of nerfed damage until you start making serious demon builds with proper passives, as the MC will beat out demons in damage for a fairly long time thanks to a not-stupid stat spread. It's more of a dick around option for those who've mastered the game, though.

When you reach Shinjuku, there will be enemies who can utterly one-shot you if they get the first attack because you don't have access to any phys nullification yet. It will loving suck and you will hate it but don't worry; it's only temporary.

The first boss is almost trivialized by Sukukaja save for RNG shenanigans.

If you're not autistic you probably want to just avoid the Neutral path, it's a pain in the rear end in several different ways.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 19, 2015

Kayvall
Jan 15, 2008

Just started playing Fire Emblem: Awakening. Could anyone expand on what the wiki mentions regarding reclassing and promoting units? I really have no idea which classes are bad and should be switched at level 10 and which to take through to 20 and promote.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kayvall posted:

Just started playing Fire Emblem: Awakening. Could anyone expand on what the wiki mentions regarding reclassing and promoting units? I really have no idea which classes are bad and should be switched at level 10 and which to take through to 20 and promote.

If you're playing the game casually, do whatever you find fun. Min-max sperging like rotating people in and out of classes for abilities x, y, and z is unnecessary unless you're on the highest difficulty or going for one of the post-endgame ultra-painful ballcrushingly difficulty DLCs.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Kayvall posted:

The only class you need to change out of is Villager, because its whole gimmick is not having any redeeming features. For every other class, there aren't any skills that are gamebreaking as long as you aren't doing stupidly hard DLC. Just go with what you want.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i've gone out and picked up Ace Combat 4 and while it's not "before i play" i do have to mention that it's defiantly fun! I did have questions on what's worth buying? It seems like mostly just the planes as the different types of bombs don't really seem necessary?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

you can beat all of FE:A on normal with only 4 characters. the 2 the game requires you to use each hiding in a pairing with the super knight you aren't supposed to use because he can't level very far but blocks all damage and the merchant lady with the 99% evasion who never takes damage.

basically don't put too much thought into your decision making unless as they said above, you are going all our hardcore.

Kayvall
Jan 15, 2008

Awesome, good to know. I'll just play around with changing people to different classes to find what I like then. Thanks, everyone.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
As someone who was gay for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 as a kid, and just Civ 5, what should I know before playing Age of Wonders III?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Kayvall posted:

Like ^ they said, you could just pair them up and cruise control through the whole game, essentially.

The only BAD class is Villager. Troubadours are pretty worthless since they can only use staves and their skills suck. Clerics do pick up decent lifesaving skills but can't use weapons which means you'll have to grind by warping or buffing or, if you plan ahead, putting a powerful character with no weapon in front of a dinky enemy and just repeatedly healing them. Taguel seems a little underpowered, but that's just because everything else gets good, fast. These are the classes you'll want to switch out of at 10. Everything else you can take as far as you'd like; all the advance classes are viable, with Sorcerers and Dark Fliers being particularly popular.

To add to everyone else: StreetPass is fun and can result in some very powerful demons. Black card fuses randomly, while White card just gets better stats and skills. They both get rare items and add another counter to your Hero-only "streetpass" multi-hit attack. The extra demon DLCs I never really got around to, but the money/app point/EXP grinding ones utterly break the game in half, like bordering on ruinous. I had a moment of weakness and did about a half hour or so of grinding in each and am now overpowered to the point where there is 0 challenge left at this point. Luckily I wasted most of the EXP items on demons and not Hero. Don't be like me!

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i've gone out and picked up Ace Combat 4 and while it's not "before i play" i do have to mention that it's defiantly fun! I did have questions on what's worth buying? It seems like mostly just the planes as the different types of bombs don't really seem necessary?

It's been years since I've played, but I think I remember there being a bomber type that can hold an obscene amount of missles and has a ton of health, making it great for the handful of missions that require you to bomb a bunch of ground targets. There's also a superplane you get for max-ranking everything, I think on normal. Other than that mobility and stability are king. The Air-to-Air/Ground ratings are useless. If a plane seems useful, I'd buy it. Money isn't particularly scarce, I think.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

paco650 posted:

To add to everyone else: StreetPass is fun and can result in some very powerful demons. Black card fuses randomly, while White card just gets better stats and skills. They both get rare items and add another counter to your Hero-only "streetpass" multi-hit attack. The extra demon DLCs I never really got around to, but the money/app point/EXP grinding ones utterly break the game in half, like bordering on ruinous. I had a moment of weakness and did about a half hour or so of grinding in each and am now overpowered to the point where there is 0 challenge left at this point. Luckily I wasted most of the EXP items on demons and not Hero. Don't be like me!

Oh yeah, absolutely do not touch the grinding DLC until you've completed the game; it's great to have in order to make preparations for the post-game DLC (and, if you're mentally ill, Fiends), but it will otherwise utterly destroy the game.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You'll be able to afford just about everything soon enough. Buy a plane/weapon, try it out, and if you dig it, use it. I don't remember there being a refund penalty, so if you don't like something, just sell it and buy something else.

Glad you're enjoying it. I had tons of fun with 04.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Heavy neutrino posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely do not touch the grinding DLC until you've completed the game; it's great to have in order to make preparations for the post-game DLC (and, if you're mentally ill, Fiends), but it will otherwise utterly destroy the game.

This is very, very true. After struggling through the first couple of bosses, I steamrolled the rest of the game without purchasing any DLC. The (awesome) Streetpass feature kept me stocked with insane demons and a variety of skills. If you figure out the fusion system, you can easily take advantage of enemy weaknesses multiple times on every team. A Magic-based MC only makes this more potent.

The awesomeness of this Streetpass feature served to make Persona Q's seem kinda dull.

mystery at hog island fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 20, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

On paths and endings, just pick dialogue choices you want and don't go insane trying to get the neutral path because it's a tiny window to get which is ridiculous. Look up a guide for it after you finish, assuming you don't hit that neutral window on your first try.

Be careful of your guest party members in battle, they can gently caress up really badly sometimes.

E: Oh additionally if a NPC gives you directions to the next town, just look up a guide for directions. The map is a mess.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 20, 2015

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Fargin Icehole posted:

As someone who was gay for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 as a kid, and just Civ 5, what should I know before playing Age of Wonders III?

There's a beginner's guide here that explains much more than I ever could!

http://aow.triumph.net/beginners-strategy-guide/

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
What should I know before playing Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes?

I've not played a Metal Gear game before, but I'm really interested in the setting of Phantom Pain so thought I would give this a go.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I've not played a Metal Gear game before, but I'm really interested in the setting of Phantom Pain so thought I would give this a go.

read the in game manual because there is almost no tutorial and the controls are very complex (but excellent once you know what they are)

experiment with everything too. don't just skulk around for a few missions and call it a day. when you are comfortable with the controls you are the master of that army base and can gently caress up whoever you want in very silly ways

in terms of backstory, just know that you are going to rescue two kids that were part of your offshore mercenary club before capture. one of them double crossed you in the previous game so getting her out is important so she doesn't spill the beans about your secrets. you hate the us military because they manipulated you on a mission to save the world from a rocket powered russian nuclear tank and you ended up having to kill your mentor and then later an AI version of her. its hosed up.

tldr: you=badass rescue the kids.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 21, 2015

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Also while Snake is away his crew is trying to hide a bipedal robot equipped with a nuke from UN inspectors.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Ground Zeroes is probably the most accessible in terms of gameplay, with a smaller learning curve than previous games mostly due to on-screen contextual button prompts. However the plot is much more self-serious than previous entries.

-The Start/Touch pad (right) menu doesn't pause the game (this is the map and cassette tapes). The Select/Touch pad (left) menu will pause the game.

-Your inventory is colour coded: red for lethal and blue for non-lethal. (See wiki note about types of knockout methods, i.e. how long guards stay down).

-If the game initiates slow motion, push the aim button to automatically point at the offended guard and shoot him before he starts an alert. Hopefully you have a silenced weapon equipped, but you should have enough time to switch to another weapon. If they're right beside you, consider using your CQC to save ammo/suppressors.

-While crawling is slow, you can aim weapons in 360 degrees and you can roll sideways for added speed/cool factor in firefights.

-You have infinite empty magazines you can throw for distraction purposes. Use them!

-Each mission has its own specific weapon/item placement, but there are a few well-stocked storage rooms marked with red doors. Just make sure you have enough time to pick the locks without being spotted.

-Shoot out lights for sneaking/distraction/fun.

-Hide bodies if they are in well lit areas or beside the roads.

-Climbing fences is an easy way to get spotted, but it's also a great way to put distance between you and alerted guards.

-You can call in helicopters anytime so that they're waiting for you when you arrive. Careful when calling them into dangerous landing zones because they won't last long next enemies with larger weapons.

-As a general video game rule, don't go for S-rank or A-rank the first time through a mission. S-rank is usually a non-lethal run, and at least one of the missions will make you pull your hair out.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Shadowrun Dead Man's Switch, I'm a experienced RPG player but no Shadowrun experience, how important is it for me to have hacking abilities on my main character?

I have Dragonfall as well but figured I'd play the rougher game first? Or is it best just skip straight to it and play DMS only if I'm left wanting more.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

VodeAndreas posted:

Shadowrun Dead Man's Switch, I'm a experienced RPG player but no Shadowrun experience, how important is it for me to have hacking abilities on my main character?

I have Dragonfall as well but figured I'd play the rougher game first? Or is it best just skip straight to it and play DMS only if I'm left wanting more.

There's no reason to take hacking in either game, unless you want to. In each game you'll have an NPC you can bring along to handle that stuff if you want. Just make a character the way you want and go for it. The only caveat is to maybe avoid going for a melee character on your first run. The melee vs ranged balance is just bad, melee weapons don't really do any more damage than ranged ones, and ranged fighters aren't really penalized when they attack melee fighters at point blank range, so a melee build can make some sections pretty tough. I had to abandon a playthrough of Dragon Fall since I couldn't do the final battle using my Chi Unarmed guy.

I'd play DMS and then DF afterwards, since I think you'd enjoy DMS more without having first experienced the benefits of DF. If you find yourself disliking DMS after a few hours, then drop it and see if your complaints are addressed in DF.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

VodeAndreas posted:

Nah, just play the original first and if you really don't like it then you can jump to Dragonfall without issue. It's not a continous story; In fact it doesn't even take place on the same continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

VodeAndreas posted:

The second game is better, start with that one and only play the first if you want more cyberpunk.