Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Her best scene is still to come IMO.

yeah, all eight of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Already OTP.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I hadn't noticed how Asakura, or whatever the student council president's name is, runs sideways/backwards at the beginning of episode 3. That takes some talent.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

She's the class prez

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Agronox posted:

The baseball episode holds up pretty well. I like seeing the extended gang.

Did you guys pick up on Haruhi's crush on your first time through? I think the clues are there at this point in the series but it was a nice little surprise seeing all of them, and it's obvious, once you go through in chron order.

Yeah, I went through in chronological order so it got spelled out pretty quick

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I think this episode shows Kyon and Haruhi at their worst. She's terrible and he complains and complains but doesn't do poo poo.

e: wait, if she bought the bunny outfits online, why did they come in shopping bags?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Catching up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I think this episode shows Kyon and Haruhi at their worst. She's terrible and he complains and complains but doesn't do poo poo.

e: wait, if she bought the bunny outfits online, why did they come in shopping bags?

She ordered online and then picked them up in a store

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

The scene in Yuki's apartment is really well done. The high contrast and minimal furnishing creates an austere, foreign atmosphere that sets it apart from the other locations visited so far.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

The scene in Yuki's apartment is really well done. The high contrast and minimal furnishing creates an austere, foreign atmosphere that sets it apart from the other locations visited so far.
It's a highlight every time we visit (and they sure do bloom those highlights don't they?)

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Me trying to figure this show out after each episode:

1: !!! *drags roommate over for an excuse to watch it again*
2: Wait... So this is a normal high school anime now? *again rewatches Mikuru Adventures feeling mildly let down*
3: Well it's still pretty interesting, what with the comic delivery of the term "gang-rape" and-wait... Aliens?
4: ...You know what? I have no idea, but gently caress it I'm on board.

Somehow I never upgraded my 06' [a.f.k.] .avi's and have since become thoroughly spoiled and can't believe I used to watch everything in resolutions like this (I don't even have to courtesy timg screenshots...):

Speaking of visuals: Whenever I think I've adjusted to the Kanon :downs: dimensions...

The K-ON crossbreeding is warmly welcomed when it eventually happens.

Command Ant posted:

Man, I'd forgotten how adorable Kyon's Sister is. :3:
Almost as cute as a small stray dog.

Possibly more so when paired with Shami.

Also, I'll admit that I skipped the OP on my first run through, but it's grown on me quite a bit. Though not yet Super Driver...

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Good.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Dear OP,

Can you put the schedule in the OP? Heck I'll write it up if it's a pain in the rear end

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

It's at the bottom of the second page, if that helps

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

near the bottom, anyway

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Melancholy's cool and all, but the other random stories are best. (#1 being Someday in the Rain, obv.)

Love how deliberately they gently caress with the viewer in this episode. Koizumi just shows up like it ain't no thang.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Nope, no ponytail for Mikuru.
One of the greatest treats of 2nd viewing.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah in training if you're feeling industrious maybe put this in the op or near it or whatever

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

There was a gif of my old avatar and I never used it? Fired. Also episodes were great. I will never get tired of this show.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Tell me about the Haruhi threads of yore

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
This is the start of everything I don't like about this series. The computer club/bunny girl scenes make me not like any of the characters involved, which is a pretty big deal when this entire show is about the characters. The supernatural stuff is introduced essentially as a gimmick to keep you watching ("oh man this boring character that hasn't done anything is an alien, I wonder what they're going to do with that?") and by just introducing a bunch more out of context with the baseball ep they continue this trend of ensuring people will tune in next week for this poo poo to maybe actually get explained or go anywhere , because the characters sure keep acting like this is a big deal. There's no buildup to any of it and the abrupt change between "silly baseball game" and "THE WORLD WILL END IF YOU DON'T MAKE THIS PITCH" just doesn't sit right with me because there's no real reason to get invested in any of it, it just makes the tone go all over the drat place.

In a vacuum though the baseball episode is really well done. I love how they use lots of subtle and not so subtle bits of body language and other details of how they play baseball to characterize everyone, in particular people that haven't done anything like yuki and especially the twee guy. You get a really good feeling for what his character is like based entirely on how he throws a ball and a few scenes of him talking with kyon.

So far I'm liking everything about this show besides what it's actually about, if that makes any sense.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

darealkooky posted:

There's no buildup to any of it the abrupt change between "silly baseball game" and "THE WORLD WILL END IF YOU DON'T MAKE THIS PITCH"

If you follow this line of thought far enough you might discover why it's a really good show, but I admit it's not for everyone!!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Zas posted:

If you follow this line of thought far enough you might discover why it's a really good show, but I admit it's not for everyone!!

I think I might know what you're talking about, but I wanted to hold off on going down that path because there's at least one dude here that's new to this series and is surprisingly unspoiled.

also I was already getting a pretty decent essay going and I have to pace myself.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

darealkooky posted:

I think I might know what you're talking about, but I wanted to hold off on going down that path because there's at least one dude here that's new to this series and is surprisingly unspoiled.

also I was already getting a pretty decent essay going and I have to pace myself.
fair enough, I'm glad the show gave you a reason to think about things anyway

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tell me about the Haruhi threads of yore

Endless Eight happening in real time was a thing to behold.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I'm one of those rare folks who know literally nothing about this show. I have a bad habit of binge watching shows, and as a result have already gone through 7 episodes of Endless Eight. What the gently caress... I don't think I would've continued watching this show during broadcast because of it.

Endless eight spoilers (up to 7 episodes into it) I mean, I get that they're building up to something for episode 8 of it or something, but this is just too much. I like the premise, but they're not doing enough with it from episode to episode. Like, it would be a lot more watchable if they tried to do something.. Anything about the situation about halfway into it. Don't spoil the next episodes for me , but please tell me if it actually has a satisfying conclusion soon, because my patience for this show is running thin.

Hope you enjoyed the reaction to it anew, I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt the same way. I could see neckbeards going loving ballistic over it, and how entertaining such meltdowns were. :v:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't read this forum much while Endless Eight was going and for that I'm sad.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Mederlock posted:

I'm one of those rare folks who know literally nothing about this show. I have a bad habit of binge watching shows, and as a result have already gone through 7 episodes of Endless Eight. What the gently caress... I don't think I would've continued watching this show during broadcast because of it.

Endless eight spoilers (up to 7 episodes into it) I mean, I get that they're building up to something for episode 8 of it or something, but this is just too much. I like the premise, but they're not doing enough with it from episode to episode. Like, it would be a lot more watchable if they tried to do something.. Anything about the situation about halfway into it. Don't spoil the next episodes for me , but please tell me if it actually has a satisfying conclusion soon, because my patience for this show is running thin.

Hope you enjoyed the reaction to it anew, I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt the same way. I could see neckbeards going loving ballistic over it, and how entertaining such meltdowns were. :v:

Meltdowns everywhere. The most popular reaction was to over-analyze the ever living poo poo about it. We literally had people posting ED credit roll screenshots going "LOOK THIS TEXT IS IN A DIFFERENT SPOT? HALF-LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?"

I would like to clarify that I was one of such people.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I didn't read this forum much while Endless Eight was going and for that I'm sad.

lol I'd love to dig that up when we get there.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Meltdowns everywhere. The most popular reaction was to over-analyze the ever living poo poo about it. We literally had people posting ED credit roll screenshots going "LOOK THIS TEXT IS IN A DIFFERENT SPOT? HALF-LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?"

I would like to clarify that I was one of such people.

lmao

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I loving love that episode, I watched broadcast order first and that episode just floored me but also made perfect sense with what I already saw.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Still one of the few posters in that thread that didn't mind it at all. :v: At first I thought it was hilarious from a business PoV, then I realized everything was separate animation and I just embraced the insanity of 1:) Getting it made and 2:) Getting it aired.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 20, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Agronox posted:

Dear OP,

Can you put the schedule in the OP? Heck I'll write it up if it's a pain in the rear end

I will write the simul schedule out while at work today. I've also updated with more clarity on chron vs broadcast with Namtab's bigger post

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I forgave them pretty much instantly for Endless Eight after they announced the movie

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I probably have some embarrassing posts in the 2009 thread, but yeah I remember a lot of the irritation with EE was that the expectation of getting Disappearance during that season. I went from being upset about EE to not really caring or at least finding it amusing in hindsight once the movie was announced.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Oddly enough, Disappearance and Endless Eight are around the same length. (D: 164 min, EE: 176 min)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Oddly enough, Disappearance and Endless Eight are around the same length. (D: 164 min, EE: 176 min)

Considering Disappearance got cut from the anime for the movie and they replaced it with more Endless Eight, I think it's not so odd

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I dont think that's what happened. I doubt they knew they were gonna make a movie when they decided to make the Endless 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I also doubt they had the movie planned, but never gave any ill will towards them for airing Endless Eight. I quite enjoyed it despite my weekly battles with insanity.

• Locked thread