Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Aurain posted:

The Letho thing is available almost instantly once you reach Velen. You can get there in an hour.

Do you have to simulate a save in order to do the Letho quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

ilu yen :pusheen:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just noticed that when you whistle for your horse in the mountains there's an echo to the whistle :vince:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

10 Beers posted:

Do you have to simulate a save in order to do the Letho quest?

That or carry over a save from TW2 where you spare him

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've heard there were hiccups getting the save to register properly, dunno if that's been fixed.

Just in case, simulate away.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

This cinches it, I'm choosing Yen.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Manatee Cannon posted:

I felt like she was a little over the top every time the subject was brought up. Yennefer gets mad at you about what happened but lets it go; Triss goes on about how "she can't do that again" or something until you tell her you love her, basically. And then she leaves anyway. :v: I dunno, felt like she was playing hard to get or just outright gave up once Yen was back in the picture.

Reminder that Triss is a huge wimp with no self-esteem.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Spite posted:

Reminder that Triss is a huge wimp with no self-esteem.

Or fingernails.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

OAquinas posted:

Or fingernails.

If you're a monster, sure :colbert:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, so Letho isn't in the game unless I simulate a save and answer that I spared him?

gently caress. I didn't simulate a save on my second playthrough because I assumed the default would be including all the optional content.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

The curse on Fyke Island is pretty strong. When I bump into rats they scream like a human female.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Nephthys posted:

God dammit, why couldn't they put in a "I still love you Yen, but I'm with Triss now" option?

Telling her the magic's gone is just a real dick move. Jesus Geralt, let her down easier than that!

Geralt is consistently really bad at letting people down easy.

Bald Mountain spoilers:

Ciri: I wonder whatever happened to the Baron...

Geralt: His wife died and he hung himself.

Ciri: :catstare:

Manatee Cannon posted:

I felt like she was a little over the top every time the subject was brought up. Yennefer gets mad at you about what happened but lets it go; Triss goes on about how "she can't do that again" or something until you tell her you love her, basically. And then she leaves anyway. :v: I dunno, felt like she was playing hard to get or just outright gave up once Yen was back in the picture.

Except for where she pretended to be hugely drunk to try to get a rise out of Geralt. That was kinda weird and sad.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011
Went round my friends house last night after he told me he was struggling with the first Keira Metz quest. So I loaded it up only to to discover he had thrown away his one silver sword and he didn't know where. Yeesh no wonder he was struggling.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stargate posted:

Went round my friends house last night after he told me he was struggling with the first Keira Metz quest. So I loaded it up only to to discover he had thrown away his one silver sword and he didn't know where. Yeesh no wonder he was struggling.

I always wondered - if you use something besides 1 steel sword and 1 silver, do the lines of dialogue change? A whole lot of people recognize Geralt because of the two swords.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You may think that's dumb, but Geralt actually accidentally did that in the prequel novel apparently. Yennefer had to go buy his swords back for him. (apparently she screwed the guy that had them though. All the gold she payed him turned into manure 12 hours later.)

So in reality, your friend is just a very dedicated roleplayer.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I finally decided to bite the bullet, sat down and finished all witcher contracts, witcher gear searches and side missions, now to finally finish the main quest...

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

frozenpeas posted:

The attack patterns are really simple and his first form is a breeze, it's just when you've only specced signs and he's completely immune to them, and he stunlocks you to death if the camera happens to be at the wrong angle when he gets behind you. It just seemed random to me.

Really bad bossfight imo.
I think he's still affected by Yrden but perhaps with a weakened effect. I died to the guy mostly figuring out what he's actually affected by on a swords build (didn't realize I was supposed to use Igni in the second phase to make it easier) and gave up trying signs and rolled constantly. Only when the camera swung around as I was about to roll and made me roll the wrong way did I get hit. Perhaps using the target lock feature might have been the right approach to avoiding that BS? I dunno.

The problem trying to do the fight intuitively is that even if you start laying Yrden down before the teleport happens, by the time you're about to be out of the animation for it, he's started an attack behind you and that's how you can be rather easily 2-shot in the fight. Traps from W2 could potentially be a good use here if you could drop them super fast. Just the thought of Geralt beating him down dropping bear traps from his jacket pockets is worth a mod alone to see how absurd the fight is mechanically. The guy is actually supposed to be drunk and not in his best condition, which only makes you wonder how brutal he would have been otherwise.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Stargate posted:

I had a similar issue except it was when the patch changed the level requirements and I suddenly couldn't use either of my witcher swords.

That was a painful hour :smithicide:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I once spent like ten minutes beating up on some of Whoreson Junior's henchmen in Novigrad wondering why the gently caress it was taking so long. After the fight was over I looked in my inventory to find that the game had auto-equipped the wooden sword from Dandelion's quest for some reason.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

The Sharmat posted:

I once spent like ten minutes beating up on some of Whoreson Junior's henchmen in Novigrad wondering why the gently caress it was taking so long. After the fight was over I looked in my inventory to find that the game had auto-equipped the wooden sword from Dandelion's quest for some reason.

Or rather, it didn't de-equip the sword. It auto-equipped it for his quest (so you don't accidentally eviscerate Level 1 Dandelion) but never actually put it away.

I have a feeling CDPR left that behavior in as a joke.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Nah, it auto-equipped it after I had to give up my weapons briefly for some other quest. It happened to me a couple of times.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

The one thing that bothered me was that there's no way to "Give back" the sword to the mummers, since it was pretty clear Geralt was just asking to borrow it. Wound up selling it to some blacksmith for gwent card money.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-17-inside-the-witcher-3-launch

Pretty interesting article. As huge as this game is, it used to be a lot huger. Hope CDPR learned some valuable lessons about focus for their future open world games. Still a shame we never got to see the Naglfar fly. Cuts seem to be a pretty mixed bag in general. Some of these ideas sound cool, some of them...not so much.

Check out the image gallery too for earlier versions of character designs. The final version of Yennefer is much superior I think, but I really dig the earlier in-game Ciri model. Though it makes her look older than she does in the final game, so I can see why they changed it.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Rhaegar posted:

So I've got a weird technical issue that I think is being caused by The Witcher but I'm not 100% certain. After playing The Witcher through GoG for about 1 hour I'll hear this chime from outside the game (like a generic Windows chime) and after that, even though I can continuing playing the game, if I quit out of the game my PC returns to the desktop but is completely frozen. Mouse and keyboard are not functional. Right now this only appears to happen while playing The Witcher. I'm completely at a loss. I'm running Windows 10 with the latest chipset and sata drivers (P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1), latest video card drivers (GTX 970) and bios. Nothing in the Windows event viewer. I'm completely stumped.

Turns out this might be due to running the game in full screen mode. Didn't run into the issue when running borderless windowed mode. Anyone else run into this? Also, what's ultimately the difference between these two modes?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

Pretty interesting article. As huge as this game is, it used to be a lot huger. Hope CDPR learned some valuable lessons about focus for their future open world games. Still a shame we never got to see the Naglfar fly. Cuts seem to be a pretty mixed bag in general. Some of these ideas sound cool, some of them...not so much.

Check out the image gallery too for earlier versions of character designs. The final version of Yennefer is much superior I think, but I really dig the earlier in-game Ciri model. Though it makes her look older than she does in the final game, so I can see why they changed it.

Some of the Triss concept art looks good too. Some not so much. Definitely prefer final Ciri over her earlier models. Yen too.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah I think the earlier versions of Triss are actually better than the final version.

Ciri's hair isn't supposed to be entirely white though and it bugs me that it is.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Manatee Cannon posted:

That or carry over a save from TW2 where you spare him

Well, at least I'm only about 20 minutes into my NG+

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Comte you have to tell us what celebrity was used as a placeholder for Yennefer's face in those blurred out concept art pics.

My guess is Kate Beckinsale.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Sharmat posted:

This is very interesting, I really dig this one:

quote:

"It's a very complicated story," Blacha begins, "but Geralt was an insider. He was joining the Wild Hunt because he was looking for something, he needed to find Ciri. We had this part where he was sailing on this Naglfar, this ship made of human nails, and he had some adventures on some islands and it was full of conspiracy. We even had dialogue trees written, and these dialogue trees were sensitive to what players say to Wild Hunters. Every time you gave a bad answer for a question, or when something was breaking your cover, the conspiracy ended."

Lead quest designer Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz, Konrad's brother, expands: "You were supposed to disguise yourself as one of the Wild Hunt riders and spend some time with them. It was basically some illusion or spell that made you look like one of them and speak like one of them."
It looks like a crazy amount of work so they had to cut it but a conspiracy Wild Hunt insider part sounds amazing.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah I'd have liked to see that. Their presence in the game feels pretty light. Would have been good to learn more about them.

Also that frozen over Hunt-destroyed Novigrad would have been a cool final set piece.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

Ah, so that's what the "Trial of Dexterity" token is for. Guess they forgot to take that out.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

OAquinas posted:

Ah, so that's what the "Trial of Dexterity" token is for. Guess they forgot to take that out.

Uh, no, there's a quest for that.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

mmkay posted:

Uh, no, there's a quest for that.

:aaaaa:

Where do you go to get that?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Some of the Guarded/Hidden Treasures don't appear to be lootable for me (as in I loot everything in the area that I can, but the icon doesn't darken, and there appears to be a non-lootable chest). Is anyone else having this problem?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

You can continue collecting gwent cards after you've finished the main quest, right? Provided you've got the unique ones, I mean.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

You can continue collecting gwent cards after you've finished the main quest, right? Provided you've got the unique ones, I mean.

Yeah, you can pretty much do whatever after the main quest. Everything you didnt do, ?'s etc are all still there.

but screw that, hop into ng+ :unsmigghh:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Wow. That ending. After fighting several boss dudes for 5+m each, and the amazing followup that flashback thing where it literally shows you all the positive choices youve made re: ciri was great, I got my epilogue. Dijkstra's dead (I sided with Roche), Ciri ended up being empress of nilfgaard, and geralt and triss went the home-life. . After all that, being cold-dropped into an empty Kaer Morhan was brutal.

I can't think of a game I've enjoyed as much as this, and I've missed a ton of sidequests and contracts that I'll do on NG+. I've deliberately not collected gwent cards in sight of NG+

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Wait, so Letho isn't in the game unless I simulate a save and answer that I spared him?

gently caress. I didn't simulate a save on my second playthrough because I assumed the default would be including all the optional content.
can someone actually confirm this for me?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Snak posted:

can someone actually confirm this for me?

I can confirm that you are right. Much like in Mass Effect, a non-imported game will default to that character not being around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Holy poo poo. So if you go to the pellar in Velen, there are a bunch of the baron's men around his house wanting to get revenge for their friend Edric, who they say has been in the outhouse for days because of some remedy the pellar gave. If you go to the outhouse at Crow's Perch before this encounter, the outhouse is locked and you can hear him in there. Stuff like this is why I love this game.