Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The background music in this show is loving great, especially the odd time they bring in a solo piano on the quieter parts. You'd have to be deaf, or be at the same level that people who enjoy Nickelback are at in terms of recognizing good music, when you hear it to think otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It was me! It works just fine during the show, but it doesn't stand out from the pack of anime soundtracks. I listen to the OSTs of Gatchaman CROWDS, Madoka, Utena, Terror in Resonance, &c. semi-regularly, but I felt no need to listen to Haruhi's more than the once, and so they sit in the box. It's not a bad soundtrack, but it's middling, and that makes it stand out in an otherwise great show.

Please note that I do not include most of the vocal tracks in this argument, as the OP/ED and God Knows are great.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I would agree that the background music isn't super interesting by itself, but I was referring to how they stand up in the context of the scenes they are paired with.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

Whoever that was that said the background music wasn't that great is going to be eating their words while watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3.

you talking about nagato or koizumu's theme or something else? I'm curious (and I like them all)

Satoru Kōsaki is the name of the composer of the incidental and most of the vocal music, and I think he's terrific

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It was me! It works just fine during the show, but it doesn't stand out from the pack of anime soundtracks. I listen to the OSTs of Gatchaman CROWDS, Madoka, Utena, Terror in Resonance, &c. semi-regularly, but I felt no need to listen to Haruhi's more than the once, and so they sit in the box. It's not a bad soundtrack, but it's middling, and that makes it stand out in an otherwise great show.

Please note that I do not include most of the vocal tracks in this argument, as the OP/ED and God Knows are great.

I think the songs in those shows are better, but the audio design is much better in Haruhi, which makes it hard to listen to separately from the show, which makes sense. It's like the JoJo's soundtrack. The songs are fun but outside of Roundabout they do an awful job of using music purposefully.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

you talking about nagato or koizumu's theme or something else? I'm curious (and I like them all)

Satoru Kōsaki is the name of the composer of the incidental and most of the vocal music, and I think he's terrific

Koizumi's. I love that track a lot, especially when they use it in full for the long dialogue between Koizumi and Kyon on the highway overpass in Part 5 (could be late Part 4, those episodes blend together in my mind).

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

That was true in the anime, too, though it sort of went away after a middle point in the chronological timeline. One of my few disappointments with the show was that they never came back to revisit that. Kyon is told by Mikuru to distrust Koizumi, by Koizumi to distrust Mikuru and by Yuki to distrust everyone, including herself. Then stuff presumably happens offstage and they never revisit it

Something very interesting in the movie is the alternate Koizumi's almost straight up admittance of loving Haruhi as well. I would have loved to see in a later book Koizumi attempting to win Haruhi over, and Kyon suddenly having to deal with a competitor.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Something very interesting in the movie is the alternate Koizumi's almost straight up admittance of loving Haruhi as well. I would have loved to see in a later book Koizumi attempting to win Haruhi over, and Kyon suddenly having to deal with a competitor.

It's one of my favorite scenes in the series.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

In Training posted:

Koizumi's. I love that track a lot, especially when they use it in full for the long dialogue between Koizumi and Kyon on the highway overpass in Part 5 (could be late Part 4, those episodes blend together in my mind).

yes!! the tune really fits the lighting there

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When Koizumi whispers "I'm jealous of you" as a train whizzes by, covering his embarrassment, is everything I love about Haruhi in 5 seconds; the editing, the composition of the shots, the emotionally weighty sound design of his heavy whisper, and the sheer shock of the revelation 5 hours into this series that a new somewhat insidious angle is revealed. It's extremely powerful. sorry for already posting about the movie all, I'm trying to keep myself in check but it's hard.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah that bit is excellent, a few seconds of muffled dialogue with the character looking away and cars passing, but when you watch the show again it's like every time he acquiesces to her or says "she's a charming person" there's this new slant, not to mention calling into question all the advice he gives Kyon

to all the people who haven't seen disappearance yet: I envy you

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 21, 2015

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

satoru kosaki did all the haruhi music and he is a genius so whoever said the music in harhi was bad is a d word. he also has done all the music for the -monogatari animes and the music in those is better than harhi

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

satoru kosaki did all the haruhi music and he is a genius so whoever said the music in harhi was bad is a d word. he also has done all the music for the -monogatari animes and the music in those is better than harhi

I really need to watch Bakemonogatari.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also after watching and reading all of Akagi I finally get the mahjong joke in Episode 6.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

In Training posted:

I really need to watch Bakemonogatari.

Since you take filming technique, direction, and other aspects that I don't want to list out, into consideration, I'd be interested to see your thoughts on the -monogatari series.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Agronox posted:

I think sociopathy implies some sort of conscious effort in being heartlessly manipulative, but she just seems more ignorant than anything.

lmao if you believe this. girl intentionally blackmailed and extorted a bunch of people whose only crime was being nearby.

but it's ok because she's only mostly a terrible human being that treats everyone and everything like objects to be used and discarded when she's bored.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

She's cool

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

darealkooky posted:

lmao if you believe this. girl intentionally blackmailed and extorted a bunch of people whose only crime was being nearby.

but it's ok because she's only mostly a terrible human being that treats everyone and everything like objects to be used and discarded when she's bored.

haruhi is a confused teenager who has never had to deal with personal failure or weakness and that warps a person. doesn't excuse her (awesome) actions but understanding that is essential to understanding her development thru the show.

also armchair diagnoses of sociopathy are uncool.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
She's fun but definitely a poo poo.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

The nerd got to touch a boob.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I hope one day people learn characters don't have to be likable even if they're not villains

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

darealkooky posted:

She's 15.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

.jpg posted:

The nerd got to touch a boob.

It scarred him for life dude... boobs must be scary things

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Or 16.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

but speaking of the glorious computer society, Day of Sagittarius is one of my favorite one-offs with some of the best nagato moments, looking forward to when we eventually get there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vode6Ryl-yY

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 21, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zas posted:

but speaking of the glorious computer society, Day of Sagittarius is one of my favorite one-offs with some of the best nagato moments, looking forward to it

Also mikuru has her best joke in that episode, innocuous as it is.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

but speaking of the glorious computer society, Day of Sagittarius is one of my favorite one-offs with some of the best nagato moments, looking forward to it when we eventually get there

I love the permission scene

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Parallax posted:

I hope one day people learn characters don't have to be likable even if they're not villains

The problem is that what is there to this show if you don't like the characters? It can't be "what'll that crazy haruhi get up to this week" because all of her shenanigans are boring on top of making her look like a real bitch. There isn't any real spectacle to her actions because the terrible things haruhi does are pretty mundane. The fact that all of the other characters just kinda sit back and let her get away with this stuff (even before the show comes up with a forced excuse for them) doesn't show that haruhi has the will to power or whatever, it just makes them look bad for being such pushovers.

So all of the main characters are pretty unlikable, but the show isn't really about watching terrible people do terrible things either like Sienfield or something, because the show never really admits that all the characters are jerks. Kyon and whatsherface are never really called out for letting haruhi constantly molest her when neither of them wants it (I'm not gonna get into a big sidetrack about boners or the japanese trope of girls saying no when they mean yes that dates back to the Heian period please dont bring these up), and all of haruhi's terribleness is offset by "See, she's not ALL bad" moments as if the fact that she was a reasonable human being for five minutes is something worthy of praise or meaningful character development (especially when the next episode haruhi is off doing something else dumb again)

At the same time, the show isn't about watching terrible people become less terrible because (at least as far as season 1) that doesn't happen. The closest thing to character development haruhi gets is lots of scenes where she isn't terrible to kyon but she's never really that bad to him. Everyone else doesn't really change either, they just accept haruhi's antics and do their best to subtly clean up after her messes instead of actually doing anything.

I'll admit I only saw this series once when it first came out 9 years ago, and might be talking out of my rear end, but these early episodes are an extremely bad first impression.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

I love the permission scene

classic moment. the build up and timing, all gold

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

People are getting weird about Haruhi a not real character in an anime.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

darealkooky posted:

There isn't any real spectacle to her actions
wow

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That guy has the bad teeth avatar from posting excessively in the JoJo thread, so I'm going to ignore them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only character I dislike is Mikuru. Haruhi is often a terrible person but she is still pretty charismatic.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That was a freaking epic baseball episode. I'm not going to be able to watch tomorrow, so I might skip ahead...

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Do it. Someone else already did the same I think

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Just post your impressions in spoilers

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

littleorv posted:

People are getting weird about Haruhi a not real character in an anime.

I don't have time for ordinary threads!!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You can only see so many anime bras before it loses any excitement, and beyond that all haruhi ever does is take poo poo or force people to do some non-illegal thing they otherwise wouldn't.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Just to clarify, I'm no Haruhi hater (and aside from excessive concert vibrato, Hirano Aya is badass). But scrutinizing Haruhi's casual disregard of others as... potatoes seems interesting to me and I'll be keeping it close in mind with this second full run through.

This might sound absurd as all balls with layers of pretension and possible derailment... but coming off of just watching Gatchaman Crowds, revisiting Haruhi now and paying forward The Fountainhead this week it has me thinking about parallels in the main characters.

I'm a complete sucker for excessively independent characters (Haruhi/Hajime/Howard), but also wonder where that might cross into a stunted capacity for empathy and other implications.

Again: Don't take any of this as me making GBS threads on Haruhi or presuming a psychological diagnosis. I'm just testing the water for a possible continuing discussion topic is all...

edit: Just as a premptive measure... I propose that any mention of Ayn Rand beyond what was just written should be met with probation. Good idea?

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

^Haruhi might not be as independent as you think! Something to keep an eye on...

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 21, 2015

• Locked thread