Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Swedish Horror posted:

Holy poo poo. :words:outhouse

I see what you did there :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

I can confirm that you are right. Much like in Mass Effect, a non-imported game will default to that character not being around.

Yeah fortunately I think that's the only significant change from imported/simulated saves. There isn't much other continuity other than flavor text/cameo NPCs, meeting up with Letho if you spare him, and the Blue Stripes tattoo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

I can confirm that you are right. Much like in Mass Effect, a non-imported game will default to that character not being around.

That sucks. It's basically punishing people for starting the franchise here.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It doesn't though. You don't have to import anything because you can simulate a save and make all of the relevant decisions from TW2 by doing so.

no clue why you'd not want to simulate a save, but if this is your first Witcher game then you don't know who Letho is or care in the first place

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah fortunately I think that's the only significant change from imported/simulated saves. There isn't much other continuity other than flavor text/cameo NPCs, meeting up with Letho if you spare him, and the Blue Stripes tattoo.

I did find that nods to your adventures in The Witcher 2, while not major, are worked in well. During "Of Swords and Dumplings" you need to get past a dwarven mercenary guarding a warehouse. If you took Ioverth's path and helped in the defense of Vergen, he recognizes you from as a friend of Yarpen Zigrin and let's you in. There are many small, subtle nods, which is really more realistic than major world changes given that Geralt has very limited political influence.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

It doesn't though. You don't have to import anything because you can simulate a save and make all of the relevant decisions from TW2 by doing so.

no clue why you'd not want to simulate a save, but if this is your first Witcher game then you don't know who Letho is or care in the first place
Letho is my coworker's favorite character. He has never played W2 only knows him from this game.

I was just hoping there was a default option that had all the optional content in it. Because I didn't want to have to keep track of my simulated save decisions. My first playthrough I simulated my save, based on my actual playthrough of W2. It didn't occur to me that to see the content I missed I would have to go through and simulate a save choosing the opposite answers as before. It just didn't make sense to me that people who never played W2 would miss out on content just because they didn't want to answer questions they didn't understand.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Here's what you have to keep track of:

did you save Letho y/n

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm just saying I didn't expect optional characters to not be in by default. That basically established the canonical ending of W2 as "Geralt kills Letho".

So I guess I feel vindicated that I killed him?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Letho was retarded anyways, who cares?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

l33t b4c0n posted:

I did find that nods to your adventures in The Witcher 2, while not major, are worked in well. During "Of Swords and Dumplings" you need to get past a dwarven mercenary guarding a warehouse. If you took Ioverth's path and helped in the defense of Vergen, he recognizes you from as a friend of Yarpen Zigrin and let's you in. There are many small, subtle nods, which is really more realistic than major world changes given that Geralt has very limited political influence.

Hmm, that's odd - I thought my last save from Witcher 2 was from Roche's path, and that I'd accidentally chosen an autosave where I'd killed Letho purely for curiosity's sake (there might have been an associated achievement?), but I got that moment with the dwarf in the game so maybe it chose from my Ioverth path savegame instead?

I did have the tattoo on my neck from going drinking with Roche's soldiers, I thought that happened during Roche's path but maybe I'm misremembering and it happens before the Act 2 split?

I should have really loaded up Witcher 2 before starting and checked which was which.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The tattoo happens in Act 1 in TW2, before the split.

Deakul posted:

Letho was retarded anyways, who cares?

Letho wants you to think he's retarded. If you think Letho is dumb, it's already too late for you. RIP

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Sharmat posted:

Letho wants you to think he's retarded. If you think Letho is dumb, it's already too late for you. RIP

Letho is so loving cool I feel bad for giving up his medallion to those douchebags, but I feel like it's what he would've wanted.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

FauxGateau posted:

Letho is so loving cool I feel bad for giving up his medallion to those douchebags, but I feel like it's what he would've wanted.

He probably would have gotten it back if he did.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
He's probably mostly forsaken being a witcher at this point anyway after the deal with Emhyr went under.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Snak posted:

I'm just saying I didn't expect optional characters to not be in by default. That basically established the canonical ending of W2 as "Geralt kills Letho".

So I guess I feel vindicated that I killed him?

There's no such thing as canon (and never was).

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

General googlin' doesn't seem to really give me much concrete info, so goons: what's the best rune to put on my weapons? I'm on a Death March alchemy build so I have the oil poison chance, so I'm thinking bleed could be sweet

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah, when you let Letho explain himself at the end of Witcher 2 he even emphasises that he knows the he looks dumb and he can't do anything about it and people expect him to be dumb so he uses it against them.

He does it even in his side quest in Witcher 3. Letho is clever as all hell, the closest witcher to Geralt's level in the series by far.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

There's no such thing as canon (and never was).

Yeah I've never gotten the "default with no import is canon" thing when generally speaking its pretty transparently done to minimize the amount of confusion for a new player, thus the maximum possible people being assumed dead.

That said any further sequels are probably gonna have to establish at least a few things as canon if they ever happen, since it would be crazy to carry on save importing for 15 years or however long this franchise will have existed by the time there's another game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Palpek posted:

Letho is clever as all hell, the closest witcher to Geralt's level in the series by far.

Cast Quen? gently caress that, I'll use Wild Hunt scout bodies as a shield!

Letho owns

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah I've never gotten the "default with no import is canon" thing when generally speaking its pretty transparently done to minimize the amount of confusion for a new player, thus the maximum possible people being assumed dead.

That said any further sequels are probably gonna have to establish at least a few things as canon if they ever happen, since it would be crazy to carry on save importing for 15 years or however long this franchise will have existed by the time there's another game.

I more mean that the entire idea of canon is weird and mostly not-helpful. I think it comes from a desire to historicize fictional worlds, and it's a *terrible* idea. I was never someone into the Star Wars EU, but wookiepedia is a living testament to the folly of canonization. Big franchises are really poorly suited to this kind of systemization, which is ironic considering that the idea of canon comes from the Church, one of the biggest franchise universes in history.

I really like how Morrowind handled cannon, re: the ending of Daggerfall. Previous game had 5 mutually contradictory endings? All of them happened simultaneously because causality broke.

Letho living or dying in W2 is only determined by your play of W2. If the default save-state says he's dead, it doesn't mean that "canon" Geralt killed him because there's no such thing, there are lots of different reasons for deciding what choices we carry between games, or what characters get into the game and which ones get cut, mostly technical and production reasons, never because we want to establish an official story-state for reasons of canon.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean I pretty much agree with that. Obviously Witcher games are based around the idea than any of these events are possible and none of them are "meant" to happen.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Snak posted:

I mean I pretty much agree with that. Obviously Witcher games are based around the idea than any of these events are possible and none of them are "meant" to happen.

Which is pretty ironic given one of the main themes of the books is predetermined Destiny. :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

Which is pretty ironic given one of the main themes of the books is predetermined Destiny. :v:

Yeah but it's a great choice to let players essentially have their own destinies.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Rime posted:

You can read the entire book series and still not know for sure if "Destiny" is an actual active force in the world. It's not clear cut.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The depends on if you're separating "destiny" from the forces of fate that govern The Law of Surprise. "A Question of Price" in the The Last Wish seems to make it pretty clear that forces of fate literally manifest.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They can. Kinda.

But neither are they absolute. Which puts into question how useful the definition of "destiny" really is.

You done with the second book yet? It goes into it more.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

They can. Kinda.

But neither are they absolute. Which puts into question how useful the definition of "destiny" really is.

You done with the second book yet? It goes into it more.

No. I'm like 38% of the way through it. It's almost impossible for me to get into reading in a web browser (Kindle cloud reader).

edit: Just met Dudu.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Eternal Fire is weird. Every other short story in Sword of Destiny serves a role in an overall narrative that links them together. That story though? Feels totally random and out of place.

Snak posted:

It's almost impossible for me to get into reading in a web browser (Kindle cloud reader).

I hear this complaint a lot and I've never understood it. Guess it's just one of those things that can't be communicated to another human that doesn't share the issue. That sucks though, I think Sword of Destiny is pretty much the best book.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I pretty sure it entire has to do with the mindset I associate using my computer vs reading a book.

I read lots and lots of material on my computer. But there's a lot of skimming, a lot of taking notes, a lot of switching tabs comparing sources, doing research, or formulating responses and writing comments. When I'm reading a real paper book, I can easily get lost in it and soak it in. On my computer, my reading comprehension is in "screen mode" and I can barely read a few pages before switching tabs to look at something else. I don't feel like this is a problem that needs to be fixed, but in this specific situation, it's definitely inconvenient.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I do the same thing, which is why my kindle is reserved for night shift where that kind of ADD is fine.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
haha, near the boarder post in Velen, west of the Hanged Man's Tree, there's a locked house with wild dogs outside. If you kill the dogs, you meet the hungry children hiding inside the house. If you give the girl you meet some food, she gives you a book and a doll in thanks. Immediately after the cut-scene, you can hear one of the boys say "Somebody nicked me dolly!"

I think that's hilarious.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Crappy Jack posted:

Whaaa?

I only finished one playthrough, answered the questions instead of importing a save file and still met you-know-who at Reardon's Manor.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I always hate doing the first Keira Metz quest in that drat cave with the Wild Hunt. Once I power through it and get the Eye and the lamp, it's all gravy from there.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

mcbexx posted:

Whaaa?

I only finished one playthrough, answered the questions instead of importing a save file and still met you-know-who at Reardon's Manor.

I phrased that confusingly, you have to either import a game or answer the questions. If you don't either import or simulate a Witcher 2 save, that character doesn't show up. The "default" state, if you don't import or simulate a save, is what I meant.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 21, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
You have to import a savegame from Witcher 2 with the Blue Stripes tattoo in order to get that in Wild Hunt.

You need to spare Letho's life in either an imported or simulated save and he'll show up with a small (but fun) sidequest.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but everything else affected by save games is minor flavor dialogue and NPCs and not at all significant content.

On one hand I think it's good that CDPR didn't put more time and effort into connecting decisions from the previous two games, because there's plenty of repercussions and detailed cause-and effect stuff in Witcher 3 without adding that, plus it's easier for players new to the franchise. On the other it's a bit confusing because players worry about missing content or making "wrong" choices in simulating a save but really there's only one that will have a significant impact and even then it's quite small.

Edit: really, there's almost zero content you can lock yourself out of based on savegame import/simulation or in-game decisions. Likewise, equipment and character builds don't matter all that much, ~just have fun~

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 21, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pellisworth posted:

You have to import a savegame from Witcher 2 with the Blue Stripes tattoo in order to get that in Wild Hunt.

You need to spare Letho's life in either an imported or simulated save and he'll show up with a small (but fun) sidequest.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but everything else affected by save games is minor flavor dialogue and NPCs and not at all significant content.

On one hand I think it's good that CDPR didn't put more time and effort into connecting decisions from the previous two games, because there's plenty of repercussions and detailed cause-and effect stuff in Witcher 3 without adding that, plus it's easier for players new to the franchise. On the other it's a bit confusing because players worry about missing content or making "wrong" choices in simulating a save but really there's only one that will have a significant impact and even then it's quite small.

Edit: really, there's almost zero content you can lock yourself out of based on savegame import/simulation or in-game decisions. Likewise, equipment and character builds don't matter all that much, ~just have fun~

Yeah, that's pretty much it. OCCASIONALLY a character might be like "Oh hey, Geralt, I heard about that time you hung out with _______, so I'll just let you in the door instead of having to bribe or Axii me", but that's about it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

mcbexx posted:

Whaaa?

I killed you-know-who and Reardon's Manor felt bizarrely empty to me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

yeah, and this is literally the reason I thought I didn't have to answer questions to meet Letho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Weird that the game doesn't have different art for the various Nilfgaard and Northern Realms "Bond" cards, like in the decks that came with the Xbone Collector's Edition. Hopefully they'll add these later in a patch or something.