Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

i81icu812 posted:

Trapped on planes for over 20 hours, I watched Season 4 and 5. It is depressing how badly they screwed up scenes that could have been well done. Blackwater was bad, but the North was even worse. Stannis's 'army' of a few dozen horsemen running into a forest somehow defeats Mance's 100,000 man army, which is actually about 40 guys in a camp. Stannis outside of Winterfell was even worse. The idiots who thought identical wildling fur uniforms looked good should all be shot. (Likewise the colorcoded Mereen uniforms.) The 'Mance attacks the Wall' episode looked passable even if it was utterly nonsensical on a tactical level. I guess Hardhome was decent?

Also fireball skeletons and sandsnakes. And more inexplicable bad plot changes.

Martin is poo poo at math and logistics, but that is no excuse to make bad TV by lowballing the numbers.

Mance didn't have an army of 100,000 men. He had 100,000 people, and about 3 quarters of them were non combatants. The gathering he was bringing to the wall was basically the entire wildling civilization, if it can be called that. Of the number that were actually part of the "army", very few were actually skilled or experienced fighters and most of those were poorly equipped and mostly excelled at fighting in small numbers and had little to no experience fighting in huge numbers because that just doesn't happen north of the wall. So, when Stannis showed up out of nowhere and charged into their lines (they probably didn't even have lines formed, as they were taken completely unaware) with a couple thousand mounted, armed, armored, well trained and seasoned knights, yeah, they got their poo poo wrecked and were forced to surrender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Fhate posted:

Mance didn't have an army of 100,000 men. He had 100,000 people, and about 3 quarters of them were non combatants. The gathering he was bringing to the wall was basically the entire wildling civilization, if it can be called that. Of the number that were actually part of the "army", very few were actually skilled or experienced fighters and most of those were poorly equipped and mostly excelled at fighting in small numbers and had little to no experience fighting in huge numbers because that just doesn't happen north of the wall. So, when Stannis showed up out of nowhere and charged into their lines with a couple thousand mounted, armed, armored, well trained and seasoned knights, yeah, they got their poo poo wrecked and were forced to surrender.

Ok but his point was the tv showed 20 people in furs and 10 people on horses to display the sense of scale of the numbers you just said. Like how Dany's khalasar was twelve single file horses, and tyrion got bilbo baggensed, knocked out and then told they won the fight later instead of showing the battle season 1.

His point was the show has a huge budget but it doesn't go into any sense of scale and all the set pieces are really small and wet fart disappointing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krinkle posted:

Sometimes people have conversations with the dead. I'm assuming Jaime's mother was a faithful member of the church? Is letting her talk to her son a miracle? I'm trying to think if the seven have ever acted on the world in a tangible way. The first time was because he slept on a wierwood stump. Standing up in the church of balor for a week straight is pretty far removed from the wierwood's influence or the red priestess even.

It kinda reminds me of the Elder Scrolls lore where the Aedra were the guys that gave up their powers in order to create the world and people worship them while the Daedra were the ones that didn't and still actively gently caress with the world and their followers are basically devil worshippers.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Krinkle posted:

Ok but his point was the tv showed 20 people in furs and 10 people on horses to display the sense of scale of the numbers you just said. Like how Dany's khalasar was twelve single file horses, and tyrion got bilbo baggensed, knocked out and then told they won the fight later instead of showing the battle season 1.

His point was the show has a huge budget but it doesn't go into any sense of scale and all the set pieces are really small and wet fart disappointing.

Yeah I'll agree with that. Especially the Bilbo Bagginsing of Tyrion. I did like the Blackwater, though, even if it was absolutely puny compared to what was described in the book.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Even with GoT's budget they can't afford to do Helm's Deep-style battle CGI and even doing live-action stuff like Braveheart would probably be pushing it. The big problem is that when they do finally try to show some scale it's short stuff like the battle of Winterfell.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I guess the Blackfyre angle is much more obvious in his works if you get a chance to read all of his ASOIAF, including the Dunk and Eggs stuff. But since most of those books were pretty unavailable until recently, that was hard to do.

So I've been thinking more recently about the portrayal of religion in ASOIAF, and have become more and more dissatisfied with how GRRM portrays all the major religions. This article sums up pretty much how I've been feeling about it; GRRM went through the motions to set up religions in the fictional world, because to not have them at all would be pretty bonkers, but he did very little to really flesh them out beyond bare bones attempts, and strips his parallels of many medieval religions of any valuable contributions, essentially just making them another political institution. The amount of POV characters who are agnostic at best, or truly don't value religion is pretty egregious when you go back and read volumes on medieval history; piety and religion were extremely important to people back then, and informed many of their decisions. In ASOIAF, outside of a very few characters (Aeron, Melisandre, and Catelyn to some degree) religion feels mostly like window dressing,

I'm wondering if GRRM partially displayed religion this way due to his owned biases of being a lapsed Catholic. Thoughts?

Thought:

You seem to have forgotten or ignored the entirety of the North and the Old Gods. The belief there is pretty drat strong, especially among the clans. They aren't crusader or conservative evangelicals but their religion is still pretty heavily a part of their lives.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
They also seem to be the ones with Gods who have been active or people who are God-touched - wargs and so on. What have the Seven ever done for us?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm pretty sure The Seven, Old Gods, Rhallor, The Lord of Death, etc. are all gonna be revealed to be like the same one or two gods. If it's revealed at all.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm pretty sure The Seven, Old Gods, Rhallor, The Lord of Death, etc. are all gonna be revealed to be like the same one or two gods.

the seven were explicitly made up from whole cloth

they don't gift their believers with anything but puritanical smugness

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

rejutka posted:

What have the Seven ever done for us?

...Brought peace?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

syscall girl posted:

the seven were explicitly made up from whole cloth

they don't gift their believers with anything but puritanical smugness

I'm not surprised but I can't remember this. Did aegon just say "gently caress your dumb tree religion, here's some makework bullshit if you have to believe in something"?
Or the andals who came over earlier? I forget the ancient history.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm pretty sure The Seven, Old Gods, Rhallor, The Lord of Death, etc. are all gonna be revealed to be like the same one or two gods. If it's revealed at all.

Don't the Faceless Men state as such? That all gods are just facets of the Many-faced God? Or maybe they're just referring to the death-related deities of each pantheon, I don't remember.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Arcsquad12 posted:

...Brought peace?

gently caress OFF!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

I'm not surprised but I can't remember this. Did aegon just say "gently caress your dumb tree religion, here's some makework bullshit if you have to believe in something"?

I forget a lot too but it's pretty clear it's a replacement for the old gods like Christianity trampling all the pagans of Europe

But seven times as much, unless you count the trinity and Mary and all the saints in which case it's actually less deities

Damnit Martin!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krinkle posted:

First there was the First Men (obv), who warred with the Children of the Forest but eventually took their Gods as their own.

Then the Andals came over a few thousand years later, they came from SW Essos. They brought the Seven over and chopped down most of the Weirwoods south of the Neck.

Then Nymeria and her gang of people got pushed off their land by the Valyrians and sailed over, intermixing with the Dornishmen.

Then Valyria established an outpost on Dragonstone, and the Targ family had residence there, but they worshipped the Valyrian Gods.

Then the Doom happened, and then 100 years later Aegon swept through and conquered, but converted to the Seven to make the rule more palatable.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
We will find that the Stranger is the true god of the lot and it will have something to do with the other gods in a connected way. I suspect that the old gods are going to be different, though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The old gods are just the spirits of ancient greenseers and wargs that remain in the WeirNet.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

syscall girl posted:

I forget a lot too but it's pretty clear it's a replacement for the old gods like Christianity trampling all the pagans of Europe

But seven times as much, unless you count the trinity and Mary and all the saints in which case it's actually less deities

Damnit Martin!

Fewer.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Krinkle posted:

Yeah. That. Most disappointingly there is no actual fight scene for that 'battle'.

5 horsemen run into a forest. Cut to 5 guys in fur in a tent. 5 more horsemen run into a forest. Cut to 20 guys in fur running out of tents. Cut to guy on horseback running down guy in fur. Cut to Mance: 'Stand down'. Cut to smug Stannis. Scene!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

IRQ posted:

Looks like they're doing some practical effects work for Dany's arc in season 6: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/20/world/hurricane-danny/index.html

Who really cares? Anyone in TYOOL 2015 who still bitches about CGI--i.e: bad CGI that they noticed---in a mass media production vs. practical effects is likely a know-nothing child. An effect only needs to be "good enough" to not disrupt the story and how they choose to achieve that effect isn't important.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Every battle scene in the show looks like Monty Python, that's just a consequence of having a TV budget. The best parts of Blackwater were the Cersei scenes inside.

Vikings seems to do ok with what it has. Then again that's probably an unfair comparison as their locations/numbers are designed from the bottom up to be much smaller and TV-appropriate.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even with GoT's budget they can't afford to do Helm's Deep-style battle CGI and even doing live-action stuff like Braveheart would probably be pushing it. The big problem is that when they do finally try to show some scale it's short stuff like the battle of Winterfell.

The point isn't that anyone feels like they could do Braveheart, it's that they could do a lot better than they've done especially given how the same network can make poo poo like The Pacific and Band of Brothers land with the proper sense of grandiosity with less money.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

We will find that the Stranger is the true god of the lot and it will have something to do with the other gods in a connected way. I suspect that the old gods are going to be different, though.

I don't know. The Seven seem to be some of the only gods we see with no actual power in the world and are clearly derived from GRRM's Jungian/Campbellian understanding of archetype, which is odd as they're easily the best common god mythos in the story while R'hollor seems to be one of the most powerful and is nothing more than "Fire Yahweh."

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The cult of Rh'llor had little to do with yhwh or Judaism, it's pretty clearly modeled after Zoroastrianism.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fair enough, my point still stands.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The old gods are just the spirits of ancient greenseers and wargs that remain in the WeirNet.

Yeah, they're real gods just not the way we usually think of gods as being immaterial and immortal. They're more like the Norse gods and Bloodraven was clearly based on Odin.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Fair enough, my point still stands.

There's no point to any of this you fool.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

!!!

White Weir Woods

:monocle::aaaaa::monocle::aaaaa::monocle::aaaaa::monocle::aaaaa::monocle::aaaaa::monocle::aaaaa::monocle::aaaaa:

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The cult of Rh'llor had little to do with yhwh or Judaism, it's pretty clearly modeled after Zoroastrianism.

I always got a R'hllorism = Islam vibe, at least in terms of its rapid spread.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

A Time To Chill posted:

I always got a R'hllorism = Islam vibe, at least in terms of its rapid spread.

That would only work if there was a vaguely similar pre-existing religion that R'hllorism then improved.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grendels Dad posted:

That would only work if there was a vaguely similar pre-existing religion that R'hllorism then improved.

From a Western perspective yeah but during Islam's initial spread its main competition were pagans/polytheists, not Christians & Jews.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
R'hlorrism isn't a particularly new religion, and its relationship with the faith of the seven is nothing like the relationship between Islam and Christianity/Judaism, neither does R'hlorism spread particularly quickly (it existed forever in the east and spreads very slowly westward, there's a red temple in Oldtown that's been there for a while and is only visited by sailors from essos) or through conquest (initially) etc. It really has almost no similarities to Islam.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

R'hlorrism is obviously Zoroastrianism. What with the emphasis on fires and a strictly dualistic world view with a good god and an evil god.

The Faith of the Seven is just fantasy Catholicism and the sparrows are fantasy Lutherans in that they are a religious movement that rises up during times of turmoil against a extremely corrupt and decadent central church. The main difference is that in Westeros Martin Luther becomes the pope. I fully expect that if Winds of Winter ever comes out the High Sparrow will have a number of rants about fantasy Jews.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 21, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

From a Western perspective yeah but during Islam's initial spread its main competition were pagans/polytheists, not Christians & Jews.

I am partly aware of that, though know way too little about Islam in general. I just wanted to drop a sick burn on Christianity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Arbite posted:

There's no point to any of this you fool.

I would trust a man with a pony avatar to know a thing or two about points.

Grendels Dad posted:

Being fair we don't know that there wasn't, do we?

FreudianSlippers posted:

R'hlorrism is obviously Zoroastrianism. What with the emphasis on fires and a strictly dualistic world view with a good god and an evil god.

The Faith of the Seven is just fantasy Catholicism and the sparrows are fantasy Lutherans in that they are a religious movement that rises up during times of turmoil against a extremely corrupt and decadent central church. The main difference is that in Westeros Martin Luther becomes the pope. I fully expect that if Winds of Winter ever comes out the High Sparrow will have a number of rants about fantasy Jews.

Yeah, dude is right here.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
What about the Drowned God?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

What about the Drowned God?

Next to R'hllor and the Great Other the Drowned God is the third big player in the Game of Gods (GoG). R'hllor has fire zombies, the Great Other has ice zombies, DG has drowned zombies. Damphair's CPR doesn't actually work, him and his followers are all dead.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
sounds like they're all facets of the many-faced god

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Have we actually seen any demonstration of the drowned gods power? People always say the seven are the only gods without any overt effect on the world in the books but I don't remember aeron or vic seeing anything that convinced me the drowned God might be real

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Have we actually seen any demonstration of the drowned gods power? People always say the seven are the only gods without any overt effect on the world in the books but I don't remember aeron or vic seeing anything that convinced me the drowned God might be real

The only concrete thing is that the Ironborn baptism ritual usually kills some people, but Damphair (who's incredibly devout) has never lost a guy.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Pretty much anyone the drowned god spits back up changes personality 100%, except Davos who didn't really drown he just held his breath a real long time.

Patchface has a kind of prophecy, too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

computer parts posted:

The only concrete thing is that the Ironborn baptism ritual usually kills some people, but Damphair (who's incredibly devout) has never lost a guy.

Maybe he just has really good chest compression technique.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Maybe he just has really good chest compression technique.

He makes his men do that stupid "move his arms" idea of cpr from the goddamn 40s though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Have we actually seen any demonstration of the drowned gods power? People always say the seven are the only gods without any overt effect on the world in the books but I don't remember aeron or vic seeing anything that convinced me the drowned God might be real.

If you think the shrouded lord is powered by the drowned god, which certainly makes sense thematically, then there's the ship teleportation he goes with Tyrion and all the mental shenanigans related to that, plus the ability to pick who gets greyscale, if stuff that Gurm has said at book signings holds true. Otherwise it's just Patchface.