Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

ikks posted:

Retail Magic is an adapted game by the translator of Maid RPG and other games (and guest GM for one in particular, Golden Sky Stories).

Not to mention his original design work, for instance, Fullmetal President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Rumda posted:

Did you not listen to the tabletalk?

I haven't yet. I just got to the end of Retail Magic 1 when I got to it. :shrug:

It's a good use of the system.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

General Ironicus posted:

Not to mention his original design work, for instance, Fullmetal President.

So when will we get to hear the story of Rip's short but eventful career as President of the United States of America?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

:siren: UPDATE! :siren:

(The Many is played, designed, and drawn, by Gnome)

13th Age 69: Devilishly Decadent! Treacherously Tipsy!
Hey there, friend, the name’s Gary Swallows, and I’m sure I’ll be getting yours soon. Listen, I’m proud to say I’m applying to the position of brand manager here at Six Feats Under– oh, that little fella’s Appleton Smalls, bit of a marketing guru. Now, while our previous employment may have been terminated with intensity, I’m here to tell you it was no fault of ours! This curmudgeonly band, these rogue elements I’d say, came along, forced us into a maze of deathtraps, then assaulted us directly, just on account of wanting to see our boss! Worst of the bunch was a tall, creepy type, too Many of the touchy-feelies for my liking (Gnome). Now call me old-fashioned, but that sorta behavior just ain’t right.

Tabletalk

Friend of the show Cataegory has also made this incredible banner for our upcoming website!

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
The Many seems like a really interesting character and I hope he...er, it... they? stick around for longer with the crew. Great job, Gnome! :toot:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

The Many prefers the use of "they" and the use of any other pronouns in our sessions should be regarded as a whoopsie.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I miss Slots for some reason.

TTornado
Feb 15, 2015

Piso mojado, dirtbag.
The Many makes me want to take another look at the Occultist because, hot drat, those AC buffs and that general dickishness-towards-enemies.

The "only one Occultist per campaign" sounds a little goofy to me still, but I can understand not wanting two in the same party at once, and 13th Age is pretty good about letting you re-flavor stuff, so it's not that much of a deterrence.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TTornado posted:

The Many makes me want to take another look at the Occultist because, hot drat, those AC buffs and that general dickishness-towards-enemies.

The "only one Occultist per campaign" sounds a little goofy to me still, but I can understand not wanting two in the same party at once, and 13th Age is pretty good about letting you re-flavor stuff, so it's not that much of a deterrence.

I always took it as "Only one with this power source/theme". It's built around poo poo like "I found this rock from outer space that lets me hear the whispering of Old Ones." but I don't see the problem with that guy and say "I'm the vessel for an ancient spirit of luck and skill and must figure out the grand mystery behind it and how it relates to this strange new game that's suddenly becoming super popular across the empire." Couldn't exist in the same world.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I It's built around poo poo like "I found this rock from outer space that lets me hear the whispering of Old Ones."

No that's a sorcerer.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I think it's meant to be "only one Occultist. Period." But the very first thing you read in the class profile is a sidebar about how you should feel free to ignore that if it doesn't work for your game. Like TT said, they're pretty good about reminding you that you can always homebrew.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

I think it's meant to be "only one Occultist. Period." But the very first thing you read in the class profile is a sidebar about how you should feel free to ignore that if it doesn't work for your game. Like TT said, they're pretty good about reminding you that you can always homebrew.

It's a good thing too! You can hardly call The Many just one. They're Many so there's also many occultists.

It's pretty interesting to hear how an occultist works in a real session. I like their concept and it fits my character's backstory pretty well, but was turned off by the lack of direct abilities. Which got me to pick sorcerer.
Now I'm toying with the idea of eventually multiclassing into sorcerer/occultist, but I have no idea if that'll end up enjoyable or not. Especially since my group plays text-only through IRC with no drawn maps or voice chat.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Geemer posted:

It's a good thing too! You can hardly call The Many just one. They're Many so there's also many occultists.

It's pretty interesting to hear how an occultist works in a real session. I like their concept and it fits my character's backstory pretty well, but was turned off by the lack of direct abilities. Which got me to pick sorcerer.
Now I'm toying with the idea of eventually multiclassing into sorcerer/occultist, but I have no idea if that'll end up enjoyable or not. Especially since my group plays text-only through IRC with no drawn maps or voice chat.

I'm gonna recommend against that unless you have Elven Grace or something for extra standard actions. Even then, relying on Elven Grace like that would be dicey at best. You will never have time to both Gather Power for sorcery funtimes and Focus for Occultist shenanigans without extra standard actions. You just don't have the actions to spare to do anything else except being the Occultist.

The Occultist just straight up does not do things on their own turn. Theoretically you can retain focus to be able to use Karmic Strike for an attack on your own turn before Focusing again, but in my experience with multiple combats with The Many so far (spoilers, we have a backlog), retaining focus just means "oh boy, now I get to do shenanigans twice this turn!" and then you'll lose focus with the second, or possibly third spell if you're lucky. I haven't had Focus roll over to my turn yet, there's always something to do during someone else's turn.

I had briefly considered multiclassing with The Many when I was making them, since I'm mainly relying on Hewer of Truth and Warp Flesh for my talent shenanigans and could theoretically trade out the other talents, but after playing a couple combats, nah. Nuh uh. I'd never have time to use anything I got from another class, not if I want to have access to all my Occultist stuff. Requiring you to charge up to get access to your spells makes it very hard to decide anything else I could be doing is better than having access to my spells. And Occultist spells are crazy good, so I want those up as often as possible.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I see, thank you for the insights! I may just stick with sorcerer then, or maybe go whole hog and swap over... Listening to some more of The Many's battles will help me decide, so thanks for playing an occultist.

E: I can't stop thinking of The Many playing an internal game of Everyone is John like Poorweather's sentient pile of rats, The Nation of Rattonia (or something along those lines), but with hands instead of rats.
Speaking of that session, does anyone have a link to it handy? I'd love to listen to it again.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 17, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rumda posted:

No that's a sorcerer.

To me Sorcerer's are for X-Men, Occultist is for Lovecraft fanfiction/Yugioh pastiches.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

To me Sorcerer's are for X-Men, Occultist is for Lovecraft fanfiction/Yugioh pastiches.
The joke was getting powers from weird moon stuff is mint.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rumda posted:

The joke was getting powers from weird moon stuff is mint.

Mint doesn't have weird moon stuff. That's all perfectly normal and healthy for a growing young Mint to do.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Glad to hear The Many will be sticking around for the next few episodes. We heard that they have the Abomination background; can you tell us any more about their other backgrounds, or their icon relationships or One Unique Thing?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Listened to the most recent session. The Many seems very determined to hunt down Nikid.

gnome7 posted:

Even then, relying on Elven Grace like that would be dicey at best.

...Gnome. God drat it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Sure! I can say all of those things. Have some copy paste from my character sheet:

The Many
Lvl 8 Aasimar Occultist
The Lich King’s Many Right Hands

One Unique Thing: Last survivor of the Second Age, and the only undead Angel.
Backgrounds: +4 Handy Abomination; +3 From Another Age; +1 Rusty Spellcaster
Relationships: +2 Lich King; 2 Wild Cards

Obviously I have positive 2 with the Lich King for my relationships because uh. Well. Duh. Whenever those come up I'll probably use them to command undead forces and similar shows of force for being the Lich King's #2.

The Wild Cards are a fun part of the Occultist that I almost skipped over in favor of yet another circumstantial bonus every time I hit with a spell, but I have enough of those already. Specifically, every time we roll relationship dice, I get two automatic 5 results with any Icon of my choice, and I can choose a different Icon for each 5. The talent only gives you one wild card, but I spent my one Epic tier feat to get a second Wild Card, because that sounded fun. The downside to the Wild Cards is that the DM gets to decide my relationship status with any Icon I use it on, not me - so if I say I want two 5s with the Archmage, I have no control in whether those are Positive, Negative, or Conflicted. But still, free 5s! Also I have to give up 3 Icon dice in order to get the wild cards.

The idea behind that, fluff-wise, is that The Many has been around so long and seen some variation of every Icon before, so they have some sway or some significance to all of them. So that's fun.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant

Geemer posted:

E: I can't stop thinking of The Many playing an internal game of Everyone is John like Poorweather's sentient pile of rats, The Nation of Rattonia (or something along those lines), but with hands instead of rats.
Speaking of that session, does anyone have a link to it handy? I'd love to listen to it again.

You're thinking of Gamma World here. I hope. That or it's one of The Many unlabelled ones.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

ikks posted:

You're thinking of Gamma World here. I hope. That or it's one of The Many unlabelled ones.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

:siren:Retail Magic 2: Barnold It’s Your Birthday (Happy Birthday Barnold):siren:

Happy Birthday, Barnold! You’ve got a great surprise in store from every one of your beloved co-workers. Let’s just hope it’s a nice, quiet day so you can enjoy yourself, with absolutely no bratty customers, strange mothers, and certainly no dragons or legendary plagues!

:siren:Retail Magic 2 Tabletalk:siren:

Take the limiter off, YoCoBot.

Tabletalk takes place before, during, and after our sessions. It’s lightly edited and perfect for casual listening, and to get an idea of just what we were thinking when we did all that nonsense!

Six Feats Under Presents: Retail Magic

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eve and Debentiel as bad cop and worse cop is still amazing. :allears:

Edit: Scarlet got Barnold the best gift. :3:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 22, 2015

TTornado
Feb 15, 2015

Piso mojado, dirtbag.
Retail Magic is super cute, but I feel like I might have something mixed up. Is Pinot a cat person, or a magical cat who can also talk? Because I've honestly just been picturing them as a talking housecat for a lot of this, didn't seem that weird with a talking owlbear also employed, but the part with the rich kid seemed like Pinot was looming over him, and now I can't remember where it was stated one way or the other.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

TTornado posted:

Retail Magic is super cute, but I feel like I might have something mixed up. Is Pinot a cat person, or a magical cat who can also talk? Because I've honestly just been picturing them as a talking housecat for a lot of this, didn't seem that weird with a talking owlbear also employed, but the part with the rich kid seemed like Pinot was looming over him, and now I can't remember where it was stated one way or the other.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the character Eliza said Pinot basically was in the first tabletalk. Could be wrong, but it matches.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I've kinda assumed WoW might be anathema to tabletopers, but lookit this widdle guy.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

HitTheTargets posted:

I've kinda assumed WoW might be anathema to tabletopers, but lookit this widdle guy.

replace that with grognards and you've hit the mark

luckily none of the 6FU cast are grogs!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

HitTheTargets posted:

:crossarms:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Oh man, Medibot, didn't you learn anything from Syrg's energy drink misadventure?

Glad to hear that there will be a session 3 eventually! Happy birthday Barnold!

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

TTornado posted:

I am like 97% certain that in the first retail magic session Pinot was explicitly a talking housecat of the sleeps-all-day-eats-mice-15-pounds-at-the-outside variety. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe the kid was really short and Pinot was standing on the counter.

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
If you start posting about WoW in here the entire cast is going to have to hold my idiot rear end back from talking about it so be careful what you wish for.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

ikks posted:

:siren:Retail Magic 2: Barnold It’s Your Birthday (Happy Birthday Barnold):siren:

Happy Birthday, Barnold! You’ve got a great surprise in store from every one of your beloved co-workers. Let’s just hope it’s a nice, quiet day so you can enjoy yourself, with absolutely no bratty customers, strange mothers, and certainly no dragons or legendary plagues!

:siren:Retail Magic 2 Tabletalk:siren:

Take the limiter off, YoCoBot.

Tabletalk takes place before, during, and after our sessions. It’s lightly edited and perfect for casual listening, and to get an idea of just what we were thinking when we did all that nonsense!

Six Feats Under Presents: Retail Magic

Main Cast and table talk link link to the same page.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Retail Magic is a delight, but then I remember it takes place in the 13th Age universe and I just can't wait for the main group to get to Axis so Barnold can be revealed as the new Archmage.

#Barnold4Archmage

TTornado posted:

I've been picturing them something like this:

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

D_W posted:

Retail Magic is a delight, but then I remember it takes place in the 13th Age universe and I just can't wait for the main group to get to Axis so Barnold can be revealed as the new Archmage.

#Barnold4Archmage
How could anyone have a negative relationship with Barnold :3:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Curios' George is actually over in Horizon, not Axis. Which is nice because the main game has never gone there and I don't know if we're going to. I should probably use some more Horizon-specific lore stuff whenever Retail Magic 3 happens.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

gnome7 posted:

...Which is nice because the main game has never gone there and I don't know if we're going to...

I've been sitting on so many wizard puns just waiting for whenever we get to Horizon so we BETTER

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Opps! Right. Horizon. Close enough! haha

dismas posted:

All negative or conflicted become positive once the big twist is revealed.

Oh! a couple table talks ago the banner was mentioned and I think it would be great if there was a banner that was just the dog/non-humanoid animal characters that have shown up. If only I could draw well....

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Aww man, Slots and Scarlett could have had a kickass knitting club : 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

dismas posted:

Imagine the heartbreak on Archmage Barnold's face when he discovers his vizier or whatever had started CREAM.

I'm trying to decide if Yves has it in him to be that vizier...

Retail Magic expanding the canon really just affirms my resolve to continue making media or fiction in this 13th Age. Needs a name, though. Six Firteenth Agunder... nah...

Next episode will be up this week. I moved house and was delayed!

ikks fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 30, 2015

• Locked thread