Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

More of a vanilla minecraft thing I suppose, but does anyone have any good tips on monster closet design? The current one I have for Garden of Glass is getting zero spiders and I'm wondering if I did something wrong.

pre:
XXXXXXXXX
X-------X
X-xxxxx-X
X-xooox-X
X-xooox-X
X-xooox-X
X-xxxxx-X
X-------X
XXXXXXXXX
Xes are the outer wall; dashes are where I walk to hit things; xes are a cobble, slab, half-block gap,cobble-to-ceiling wall to let me see the inner area without being attacked. The inner area is unlit, and is 3x3x3 volume inside.

This works, but it's really not spawning any spiders at all seemingly, so I'm shafted for string (and for now, therefore wool). Also I have to break the cobble+slab inner wall and part of the raised inner cobble floor to get pickups (though I'm aware a hopperhock will solve that when I can make them).

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

More of a vanilla minecraft thing I suppose, but does anyone have any good tips on monster closet design? The current one I have for Garden of Glass is getting zero spiders and I'm wondering if I did something wrong.

pre:
XXXXXXXXX
X       X
X xxxxx X
X x   x X
X x   x X
X x   x X
X xxxxx X
X       X
XXXXXXXXX
All the Xes are cobble; the inner area is raised one block above the outer area. The (x)es are cobble, slab, half-block gap to hit through, then cobble to the ceiling. The inner spawning area is unlit and three-high, the outer area is lit.

This works, but it's really not spawning any spiders at all seemingly, so I'm shafted for string (and for now, therefore wool). Also I have to break the cobble+slab inner wall and part of the raised inner cobble floor to get pickups (though I'm aware a hopperhock will solve that when I can make them).

Spiders need a 2x2 area to spawn in. That looks like you never get more than a 1x2, if I am understanding the schematic correctly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

Spiders need a 2x2 area to spawn in. That looks like you never get more than a 1x2, if I am understanding the schematic correctly.

The inner unlit square where the spawning happens is a 3x3x3 cube; edited. Sorry, I'm bad at ascii floorplans :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 21, 2015

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does Blightfall give you some good instructions on the magic poo poo? I have no idea how thaumcraft works and I've yet to find a good tutorial out there.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

The inner unlit square where the spawning happens is a 3x3x3 cube. Sorry, I'm bad at ascii floorplans :(

Hrm. Try making it a lot larger? 3x3x3 isn't a lot of room to spawn lots of monsters.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Danger Mahoney posted:

Does Blightfall give you some good instructions on the magic poo poo? I have no idea how thaumcraft works and I've yet to find a good tutorial out there.

The HQM book does tell you what to do to get the thaumonomicon and a couple of the first items you need (I think), but doesn't provide much other guidance than gently directing you toward how to clear the blight.

The thaumonomicon itself is very complete, but expect it to be confusing anyway because ~my vision~.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Danger Mahoney posted:

Make an iron capped wooden wand. This is 2 iron caps and a stick on a diagonal in a crafting table. Iron caps are made with iron nuggets in a hat shape. Iron nuggets are made from crafting an iron ingot by itself. With your wand, right click on a bookshelf to get the Thaumonomicon. Read that.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

In addition to what Arioch said, I've written some effortposts in thread that are meant to be a crash course in building a good thaumcraft setup as quickly as possible so you can skip (some of) the tedious bullshit and jump to the fun stuff.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

Yeah, I'm a nuclear engineering grad student by day so I don't really want to think nuclear things when I'm in the mood to relax, drink beer, and screw around with little pixel blocks. I'll probably burn a lot of my RF powering a tesseract so I can have some better mobility to my operations, now that I think about it. I need to make sure I can support a tesseract and all of my plans for automation at the same time if I'm going to do the super dawn machine setup that keeps the thing fueled and juiced up no matter where it is.

If I can figure out a way to get AE2 and the thaumcraft version of AE2 to work across a tesseract, I'm really in business, otherwise I've gotta hope I can figure out a way to cram everything into a 5x5.

Tesseracts don't consume power in themselves, so you can just poo poo them all out willy-nilly. It's just a question of whether the stuff sending the power can keep up with the scattered demand of everything receiving it. I was kind of assuming you already had some of those running around already actually. I normally power my AE2 network using a tesseract because it's really annoying to run conduit into the mess going near the controller. The question is whether or not you need an energy acceptor from AE2 to take in the RF. Some modpacks I tried needed it, and some others were fine with the tesseract going right up against the controller.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

Hrm. Try making it a lot larger? 3x3x3 isn't a lot of room to spawn lots of monsters.

I got impatient grabbing cobble from the dirt. I'll probably creative-mode making the spawner bigger, I'm not exactly buggered about cheating when it comes to building :v:

Speaking of the spawners, do Rosa Arcana suck XP from the environment or only from players? Wondering how you'd gather XP in botania without having to enter the room.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I got impatient grabbing cobble from the dirt. I'll probably creative-mode making the spawner bigger, I'm not exactly buggered about cheating when it comes to building :v:

Speaking of the spawners, do Rosa Arcana suck XP from the environment or only from players? Wondering how you'd gather XP in botania without having to enter the room.

Rose Arcana sucks XP from players.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Tesseracts don't consume power in themselves, so you can just poo poo them all out willy-nilly. It's just a question of whether the stuff sending the power can keep up with the scattered demand of everything receiving it. I was kind of assuming you already had some of those running around already actually. I normally power my AE2 network using a tesseract because it's really annoying to run conduit into the mess going near the controller. The question is whether or not you need an energy acceptor from AE2 to take in the RF. Some modpacks I tried needed it, and some others were fine with the tesseract going right up against the controller.

Wait really? I always thought Tesseracts ate a shitload of power. Huh.

Okay that makes life easier. The hard part that I still need to figure out is how to move essentia long distances. The essentia mirror doesn't work because you can't just stab a pipe into the mirror - it's meant for use with infusion altars. I don't think you can pipe essentia through a tesseract because it's not a real fluid. Is there any way to bridge long distances wirelessly with AE2? Being able to just directly shove essentia into the right jars with cabling would be really, really nice.

Barring that, I'm thinking (and fitting it all is going to be real interesting) I can have Autonomous Activators facing the appropriate jars of essentia, with fluctuating itemducts (whatever the ones that pipe both items and RF are) feeding them phials and power. Being able to reclaim the phials would be nice, but space is at a premium so I'm not sure it can be fit in. Automating infinite phial production isn't that bad because terra and aqua are both renewable resources, so clay is as well, and sand is a renewable resource, but it does mean another mechanism I need to design and build and provide power to.

All that said, first I need to actually automate production of all of my kinds of essentia :v: I'm well on the way towards automating the precursors to all of them, but actually automating the conversion from item to essentia is a moderate pain in the rear end. I'm hoping alchemical furnaces and boilers are compatible with exoflames, cause otherwise I need to add yet more charcoal routing options, or clean off the eerie island and get a self-sustaining blood magic chain reaction going to power some heat crystals or whatever they are.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hey Talonos, consider adding a recipe for the Emberheart? As it is I don't think it's possible to obtain without a trip to the nether, so that whole subsection of Automagy is inaccessible.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

Wait really? I always thought Tesseracts ate a shitload of power. Huh.

Okay that makes life easier. The hard part that I still need to figure out is how to move essentia long distances. The essentia mirror doesn't work because you can't just stab a pipe into the mirror - it's meant for use with infusion altars. I don't think you can pipe essentia through a tesseract because it's not a real fluid. Is there any way to bridge long distances wirelessly with AE2? Being able to just directly shove essentia into the right jars with cabling would be really, really nice.

Barring that, I'm thinking (and fitting it all is going to be real interesting) I can have Autonomous Activators facing the appropriate jars of essentia, with fluctuating itemducts (whatever the ones that pipe both items and RF are) feeding them phials and power. Being able to reclaim the phials would be nice, but space is at a premium so I'm not sure it can be fit in. Automating infinite phial production isn't that bad because terra and aqua are both renewable resources, so clay is as well, and sand is a renewable resource, but it does mean another mechanism I need to design and build and provide power to.

All that said, first I need to actually automate production of all of my kinds of essentia :v: I'm well on the way towards automating the precursors to all of them, but actually automating the conversion from item to essentia is a moderate pain in the rear end. I'm hoping alchemical furnaces and boilers are compatible with exoflames, cause otherwise I need to add yet more charcoal routing options, or clean off the eerie island and get a self-sustaining blood magic chain reaction going to power some heat crystals or whatever they are.

You can bridge long distances wirelessly with AE2. Quantum Network Bridges.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yyeeesssss. Thank you guys for answering my questions, I'm really trash with tech mods.

I think the Offering of Dawn brings along just big enough of an area to cram a Quantum Network Bridge in there with it and have room for connecting to the jars. THE DREAM IS ALIVE

Now I just gotta make sure the Offering of Dawn brings AE2 blocks along with it :v:

E: Holy poo poo powering that thing is going to be hard, 400 rf/t per bridge means just one connection is going to take 1600 mana per second. 50+ Endoflames to power one of these drat connections, and another ~30 per extra network bridge I add, just to keep them on.

I think it's just gonna have to wait until I play through Blightfall with some friends, I'd have to like quadruple my tree farm output to keep up with just one of these, I think (I still need to do science on my tree farm, cause I can't find any data on how long, on average, it takes oak trees to grow). Trying to have a fleet of a few ultra Dawn Machines would mean I'd need to have a tree farm that's like 50x50, probably a half dozen Infernal Furnaces, and at least one more good Ignis centi-vis node (though I feel like if I clean off the Volcano Island and reclaim the nodes there, finding good ignis nodes will be a piece of cake).

Hrm, I might still just try to hack something together with autonomous activators and a tesseract. It's way more jank but takes ssssooooo much less power. Those network bridges are just way too power intensive for me to use in a low resource map like blightfall. Definitely something to include in the Citadel of Dawn project though. Things gonna be absolutely enormous at this right, the tree farm to keep the lights on is going to be huge.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 21, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

Holy poo poo powering that thing is going to be hard, 400 rf/t per bridge means just one connection is going to take 1600 mana per second. 54 Endoflames to power one of these drat connections!

You could just turn off the connection when you aren't using it. How long does it take for the totem of dawn to clear it's area?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

You could just turn off the connection when you aren't using it. How long does it take for the totem of dawn to clear it's area?

According to the Thaumbook, if you give a Dawn Machine two full jars of all ten kinds of essentia, as well as a steady supply of essentia, it'll do a full clean of a 128x128 area (it'll clean all the nodes, all of the squares, re-grass and re-tree the entire place, and cure any tainted mobs) over the course of an hour. I guess I could have a bridge, fire it up, shove 128 points of all the essentia through, then shut it off and let a Tesseract supply power. Good point, I really only need the bridge active when I'm refueling the setup.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 21, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Love the osmonic enchanter.
Unfortunately it can't do all enchantments like runic shielding.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Answered below, but what you can do is use mana spreaders with the influence lens to move all the experience orbs into one area, for collection.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

too at work to open minecraft to check, but can you read a warded jar with a comparator

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Angmallen sucks.

I think it mixes the enchantability of gold with the strength of iron, which I doubt you care about. I think you can also make coins with it and stretch gold as a consequence--if you're playing on a server that does that kind of thing--which I doubt you care about. Failing that, it generally just serves as a way to piss you off and make your YouTube followers laugh at you, which I again doubt you care about.
Make rails, turn your stupid useless angmallen into useful Iter or Motus. I made a bunch of it by accident in Blightfall and that way I don't have to look at it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Glory of Arioch posted:

too at work to open minecraft to check, but can you read a warded jar with a comparator

No, but Automagy has you covered.

I know it says vis but it works on essentia jars too.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Magres posted:

According to the Thaumbook, if you give a Dawn Machine two full jars of all ten kinds of essentia, as well as a steady supply of essentia, it'll do a full clean of a 128x128 area (it'll clean all the nodes, all of the squares, re-grass and re-tree the entire place, and cure any tainted mobs) over the course of an hour. I guess I could have a bridge, fire it up, shove 128 points of all the essentia through, then shut it off and let a Tesseract supply power. Good point, I really only need the bridge active when I'm refueling the setup.

Just make sure you have enough battboxes or whatever they are called now so you have enough time to do everything at a chill pace. Hell maybe you already got a bigass energy cell or two.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mzbundifund posted:

No, but Automagy has you covered.

I know it says vis but it works on essentia jars too.

noice

redstone the best

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mindblast posted:

Just make sure you have enough battboxes or whatever they are called now so you have enough time to do everything at a chill pace. Hell maybe you already got a bigass energy cell or two.

Yeah, resonant stuff is actually not bad to make if you do it right - use a redstone furnace to melt ender pearls into buckets, then put it in a tank, pipe it into your smeltery, and add the other metals (I think it's like tin, silver, and something else? I forget) and you'll get liquid ender ingot. Pour into ingot cast, voila you have ender ingots without dealing with blazing pyrotheum.

Resonant Energy Cells are also incredibly reputation efficient to refill, compared to the earlier cells. There's a cooldown on the bread quest, but doing it twice (ie producing 8 stacks of bread) gives about as much rep as it takes to refill a Resonant Energy Cell (Bread Quest gives 9 rep, refill a resonant cell takes 20 rep), and refilling a resonant energy cell takes around a hundred stacks of coal's worth of mana.

Like the refill quest maybe needs a nerf to cost more, but at the same time there's not really any way to abuse having ludicrous amounts of RF to short circuit the mod and jump ahead or anything so it's kind of a moot point. Given how hard it is to generate your own power, I'm glad you can make a resonant cell and be set for a while as long as you're not consuming absolutely incredible amounts of power. I have yet to actually use the resonant refill quest. Opening the quest up at all means refilling a redstone cell for 20M RF, and I haven't bothered to refill it to 80M since upgrading it, the entirety of my RF consumption in the past week has been like 1-2M RF, and that's easy enough to cover with the tree farm to RF setup I posted.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 21, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Coming back to this a second (still at work), is there any way to force mobs to clump to the walls of my closet so I can kill them quickly, rather than them getting knocked back (and in the case of skeletons starting to arrow me)?

Maybe I should learn how to build a dropper instead, but I never figured out how to get the mobs into the hole or canal in vanilla either. That and I only have one water source block, so no canal either :(

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
To get mobs to drop into the holes, put in open trapdoors. Mob AI considers open trapdoors to still be solid blocks and they'll walk on em and fall through.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
I'm starting to wonder if cooking for blockheads is a horrible, horrible thing...I just loaded my cooking oven with a bunch of flour and went to get something nearby when my world just...stopped, I can't right click to open my quest book, I can't pick anything up and mobs won't move or do anything except for break blocks although they don't drop anything at all. I've made a new world and checked if it was just a minecraft error but everything seems to be fine over there. Am I going to have to start over again?

Krakatoah fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 22, 2015

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
I had the same issue, and it persisted after reloading the world. I had a recent backup, but apparently that issue was already lying in wait - anytime I interacted with the kitchen counter block, or the chest next to it, I'd stop being able to interact with anything.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Remove blockheads from the modpack, load the world, then re-add blockheads, then you should be good.

Or you could MCedit the offending blocks if you know how.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 22, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I wonder if anyone else is annoyed by Better Rain's rain sounds having a really noticable stutter when you close your inventory (or any inventory).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nope, I'm still enjoying any environmental effect that isn't as harsh as vanilla Minecraft rain.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Sage Grimm posted:

Nope, I'm still enjoying any environmental effect that isn't as harsh as vanilla Minecraft rain.

What makes you say that it's-PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

pre:
XXXXXXXXX
X-------X
X-xxxxx-X
X-xooox-X
X-xooox-X
X-xooox-X
X-xxxxx-X
X-------X
XXXXXXXXX
Xes are the outer wall; dashes are where I walk to hit things; xes are a cobble, slab, half-block gap,cobble-to-ceiling wall to let me see the inner area without being attacked. The inner area is unlit, and is 3x3x3 volume inside.

Spiders will track you through walls, so instead of making a walkway around the spawning area, just make a linear walkway with the spawning area on one side. Back in Sky Den, I made a spider spawning area about 16x16 with a walkway along one side and it worked great (though I occasionally had to break in to pick up some drops). They only need 1 block vertical height, as long as the ceiling is a transparent block - I used fenceposts (so floor, 1 block air, 1 block fenceposts, 1 block opaque roof). This stops non-spider mobs from spawning in it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Shukaro posted:

PSHHHHHHHHHHHH........

You missed the bit were multiple crashes of thunder would sound in about a 3 second timeframe.

Also just so its said, I've been pretty religiously feeding talonos the various bugs reported here (and on the server im on) so keep 'em coming.

Additionally, moss balls are been looked into, they are alittle bit hard to get after all!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Thyrork posted:

You missed the bit were multiple crashes of thunder would sound in about a 3 second timeframe.

Also just so its said, I've been pretty religiously feeding talonos the various bugs reported here (and on the server im on) so keep 'em coming.

Additionally, moss balls are been looked into, they are alittle bit hard to get after all!

Another one to feed him! Tin and Copper native ore clusters, when smelted in a vanilla furnace, only give one ingot where they should be giving two. All other furnaces work fine, as does the pulverizer.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I think I'm starting to cool on Blightfall. Can anyone recommend a modpack with a magic/adventure focus? Ideally I'm looking for something with Ars Magica and Thaumcraft.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Why is the crafting recipe for trash cans disabled?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

Why is the crafting recipe for trash cans disabled?

Probably because there's an item with similar functionality in Thermal Expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think I'm starting to cool on Blightfall. Can anyone recommend a modpack with a magic/adventure focus? Ideally I'm looking for something with Ars Magica and Thaumcraft.

OMP Sigma But I highly suggest you remove a bunch of useless mods from it and update others if you plan on playing solo.

Mods I recommend removing

Headcrumbs
Morph
Zelda Sword Skills
Darkness mod something (makes darkness really really dark)
Hats

and a few others I can't remember.