Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
NPR is streaming the new Beach House album, the new Destroyer album, and the new Yo La Tengo album starting today. I love how NPR has evolved over the years and is now this weird indie music powerhouse with amazing access to new music.

Listening to the Destroyer album first... wowee kazowee, track three or whatever rules!! I didn't like KAPUTT at all, this sounds a lot better to me already.

http://www.npr.org/series/98679384/first-listen

hope and vaseline posted:

Hi I don't venture in here much but is anyone talking at all about Joanna Newsom's new track? I doubt it's gonna sway any new listeners but it's a hell of a song with the kind of lyrical complexity you expect from her more long-form songs packed into a sweet little ditty. Her voice is a little less thin than in the last album also, liking how it's changing for the better. Also, that climax at the end, my goodness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky9Ro9pP2gc

I like this a little less than the tracks I like off her previous albums, but it's still really good. For some reason this "feels long" to me. When I listen to Emily, which is like 9 minutes, it goes by in no time at all. This is only 5 minutes but feels longer... not sure why. edit: This video is directed by Paul Thomas Anderson?? Whoa!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Polo-Rican posted:

Listening to the Destroyer album first... wowee kazowee, track three or whatever rules!! I didn't like KAPUTT at all, this sounds a lot better to me already.

I think he's referring to "Forces from Above." Seriously goons, listen to Poison Season. I'm a fan and all, but this one exceeded my expectations

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Real Name Grover posted:

I think he's referring to "Forces from Above." Seriously goons, listen to Poison Season. I'm a fan and all, but this one exceeded my expectations

Yeah, that's the one, I forgot that you could see an individual tracklist on NPR music's player.

Destroyer is one of my favorite bands of all time and it bugs me that so many people seem to have listened to Kaputt and nothing else by him. Kaputt came out at a time where tone trumped all else and anything with a lush, 80s aesthetic got rave reviews. It's really one of his weakest albums. If anywhere here likes Destroyer at all and hasn't listened to Destroyer's Rubies, Streethawk: A Seduction, This Night, Thief, Trouble in Dreams, and Your Blues (yes! even Your Blues!), then for god's sake, launch spotify and hit it all up.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I like Kaputt fine, although I don't know whether to take "Bay of Pigs" into consideration when judging it. That was released as a single, what, a year or two beforehand?

Not that I don't understand its presence — it's a bloody incredible song and sticking it at the end of the LP probably gave more people an opportunity to hear it — it just doesn't really fit. Ah well ^:shobon:^

Probably worth noting that "Archer on the Beach" is on Poison Season and has been kicking around for a few years too.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Real Name Grover posted:

Probably worth noting that "Archer on the Beach" is on Poison Season and has been kicking around for a few years too.

The Archer on Poison Season is a completely new arrangement (I didn't recognize it at all), and it's WAY better than the take from the original EP. Which is great!! For comparison, the Bay of Pigs on the end of Kaputt was just basically identical, except for chopping off 3 minutes and adding another vocal track.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Slandible posted:

I was considering the Dear Rouge show myself since I like a few of their songs, but just now checking out Rah Rah and thinking this should be an easy $12 decision.

Definitely see Dear Rouge at the very least for that price, they are amazing!

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is this coming from the position of someone who just doesn't like JN or did you not like the direction? There's at least 6 or 7 uncontroversially amazing songs on there. Less obtuse, more beautiful, all sorts of thematic tangles - it's seriously amazing and dwarfs the first two records.

I think we had a discussion about her earlier in the thread. Most people didn't like her music. That's Andy Samberg's wife correct?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Polo-Rican posted:

I like this a little less than the tracks I like off her previous albums, but it's still really good. For some reason this "feels long" to me. When I listen to Emily, which is like 9 minutes, it goes by in no time at all. This is only 5 minutes but feels longer... not sure why. edit: This video is directed by Paul Thomas Anderson?? Whoa!

The video kinda seems like a wasted opportunity, I mean it's just PTA filming her prancing around the city really. Considering this is only her second official video (god knows what happened with the fully complete Good Intentions Paving Co. that never got released), I wish they did a little more, especially given the subject matter (the rise and fall of old New York)

And regarding the discussion over Joanna Newsom in general, I've pretty much resigned myself to her music being divisive at best. You either love or hate her voice, and you either love or hate the fact that she's incapable of writing a straightforward song without any allegory or historical/mythological references.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 20, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is this coming from the position of someone who just doesn't like JN or did you not like the direction? There's at least 6 or 7 uncontroversially amazing songs on there. Less obtuse, more beautiful, all sorts of thematic tangles - it's seriously amazing and dwarfs the first two records.

What are these 6-7 songs? I've got one of her albums, y's? I think? And it's just a loving complicated mess. I'd like to know what songs a fan thinks are amazing and check them out.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Ys is insanely good. If you don't like Ys you probably won't like anything by Joanna Newsom, and that's actually ok! You can calm down!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I was waiting for her to release the follow-ups A, W, N, S.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
The Destroyer record is very good but I'm way, way underwhelmed by the new Beach House outside of track one, even after a few listens. Bumming about that.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I liked her first album ok enough around 2005/2006.. and then Ys and the newest one were awful. I am not saying she doesn't have talent, I am just saying that talent is being very misused.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just found out today that Metric got added to the lineup of this music festival I'm going to in October :swoon:

It'll be my first time seeing them. I've been wanting to ever since first hearing them almost a decade ago.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

rear end Catchcum posted:

What are these 6-7 songs? I've got one of her albums, y's? I think? And it's just a loving complicated mess. I'd like to know what songs a fan thinks are amazing and check them out.

Have One On Me is way less obtuse opaque than Ys but that might be disguised a bit by it being a triple album. It's really more of a double but breaking it in three leaves you with more digestible 40 minute chunks.

Good Intentions Paving Co.
Baby Birch
In California
Jackrabbits
Go Long
Does Not Suffice

are the ones that really stick out to me.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 21, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just heard this song today for the first time and it's loving fantastic, lots of great gospel-style sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAYhQsQhSY

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
more new metric today - fortunes

still like a month until the album comes out :negative:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ThatsMyBoye posted:

The Destroyer record is very good but I'm way, way underwhelmed by the new Beach House outside of track one, even after a few listens. Bumming about that.

I thought Space Song (track 3) was really great and would've fit right in on Bloom, but otherwise I'm a bit underwhelmed myself.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Angel Deradoorian, from The Dirty Projectors, has a solo album out. I've only heard half of it so far, but I'm liking it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jNBVrZL67c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaH_cA5LsCk

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

fits posted:

I haven't been too hot on everything else from the new album so far but this is pretty good.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I looked through the last dozen or so pages, so sorry if this has already been posted, but I like Fickle Friends a lot

They're a british dance pop-rock band that plays dizzying and upbeat songs that sound pretty summer-y, while usually having very forlorn lyrics. I kinda recommend listening to them in order of release of their singles, since it feels like they flesh out their sound more and more. They're all really catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrvMzMMdoeU "Swim"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxGy1qF1bxg "Play"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p0nB7KQ0G4 "Girl Like That"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctomu9rTztU "For You"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw47sPO04CU "Could Be Wrong"

They released a new EP like a month ago but it's a bit disappointing.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
That was some of the worst loving garbage I've ever heard, thanks for linking it

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

fits posted:

i'm coming around to what i've heard of pagans in vegas. took me a while to wrap my head around some of where they were trying to go, but it's looking better and better. i'm actually a big fan of too bad, so sad. hopefully they come somewhat near me when they're not opening for imagine dragons. saw them... wow, three years ago at a synthetica release party up close, and they put on a hell of a show.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Beach House announced that they'll be playing Brooklyn tomorrow in a small venue and tickets go on sale the day of the show. I've been to their last two album release shows in New York, so if I don't get in, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
But if you do get in, you will be pretty sleepy :-/

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just heard this song today for the first time and it's loving fantastic, lots of great gospel-style sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAYhQsQhSY

Recommended: The record company (less gospel though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-LiyG-IjHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iin9nxjpbpc

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

rear end Catchcum posted:

But if you do get in, you will be pretty sleepy :-/

I got into the show and didn't fall asleep! Win, win.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I agreed to seeing Beach House several months back and its coming up in the next few weeks. I know a few of their songs, but not a whole lot. Are they still a entertaining show if you're not a huge fan?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I got introduced to Mike Krol the other night and I really dig him.

http://mikekrol.bandcamp.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dszhHqFpgl8

I'm hoping my work schedule allows me to see him in a couple weeks, but gently caress me if I don't love fuzz and that garage sound.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Slandible posted:

I agreed to seeing Beach House several months back and its coming up in the next few weeks. I know a few of their songs, but not a whole lot. Are they still a entertaining show if you're not a huge fan?

Not unless you're under the influence of something, or seated and in an unusually good mood (and potentially on something)

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I have been doing a really awful job of reporting my concert experiences however, I saw Belle and Sebastian last night and while I'm only really familiar with Catastrophe Waitress amd Girls in Peacetime I really enjoyed the show. Lots of audience banter and participation. I was actually unaware of how many people were in the band and how many different instruments were involved in their songs. At various points they had a flute, violin, keytar, trumpet, and some more obscure percussion instruments I couldn't name.

Shots during the show

This was at the very end, they basically said "Anyone that wants to come up and dance!"

nightonthesun
Apr 23, 2002

jiffypop45 posted:

I have been doing a really awful job of reporting my concert experiences however, I saw Belle and Sebastian last night and while I'm only really familiar with Catastrophe Waitress amd Girls in Peacetime I really enjoyed the show. Lots of audience banter and participation. I was actually unaware of how many people were in the band and how many different instruments were involved in their songs. At various points they had a flute, violin, keytar, trumpet, and some more obscure percussion instruments I couldn't name.

Shots during the show

This was at the very end, they basically said "Anyone that wants to come up and dance!"

That was a really good show! I was a bit surprised that the crowd was so small but they didn't seem to mind at all. Bully's lead singer almost seemed torn between being indignant and disappointed. I felt a little bad for them - they were pretty good too.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Is this where I can talk about FIDLAR? Too leaked and it's loving great. It's super different from their self-titled and the songs that preceded that. Zac is very open about the poo poo he's been through in the last few years. It's crazy to read about, but it's so honest.

So yeah, I am glad that my FIDLAR tattoo on my knees isn't gonna be a waste. Can't wait to see them in a week or two

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have such a great list of concerts this fall. The Fratellis, Dear Rouge, Rah Rah, Tourist Company, Robert Delong, Coleman Hell, and Feb next year is the Arkells again, gonna be fuckin awesome.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Not sure if this is the right thread, but my dude just released a new track and its pretty drat good. A more upbeat Chet Faker maybe? Not sure. Check it out

https://soundcloud.com/ithinkimcrashin/stephen-remembering-myself

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I'm going to see Run the Jewels and I can't. loving. Wait.

Anyone seen them live? How are they?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I've seen 'em twice, they're good. Wear your least favorite shoes.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

That new Skylar Spence track rules, its a shame he went with a new stupid name because SAINT PEPSI was a really good name.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RedneckwithGuns posted:

They're loving intense as hell. I'm going to see them for a 2nd time in November and I can't wait either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

RedneckwithGuns posted:

They're really loving great. I'm really annoyed I missed them last time they were in New Zealand.