Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

mcbexx posted:

If you're not running with a +10% dismemberment trophy, you're doing it wrong.

duh that's the only one that's remotely worth it. Also it's obviously the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Palpek posted:

Trophies are one of the biggest disappointments in the game. Each has a custom 2D inventory icon and a 3D model attached to the horse visible when you ride and for each one there's a cutscene of Geralt cutting the head off and all they do is literally 3 different things that are laughable. It almost feels like there's some part of the game missing or something, it doesn't make any sense that they're so bad and unisnpired considering how cool the decoctions from the same monsters are. It really feels like a feature CDP had no time to finish and I can only hope there's a change coming in some future patch. If not that then it's one of the bigger candidates for an obvious future super popular mod.

I actually got a laugh out of that quest where you go find a Witcher's hideaway, and Geralt muses uncomfortably about the fact he has kept so many trophies from his hunts. Meanwhile in Geralt's stash are a giant pile of severed monster heads.

Edit: I was actually a little jealous that I didn't have the option myself to mount them and put them on display in Kaer Morhen or something (and give me armor mannequins too!)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Kaer Morhen was kind of a wasted opportunity. I'm not sure exactly what they should have done, but it should have been like a cool home base once you unlock it.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Snak posted:

what did you do?

I have no idea. Air punched near a villager I and did something else so the state got stuck? NPC's like merchants are unaffected, it's just the random peasant VOs that are stuck to "please don't kill me" when you try to talk to them.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Kaer Morhen was kind of a wasted opportunity. I'm not sure exactly what they should have done, but it should have been like a cool home base once you unlock it.

It's like 300 miles from all the other game areas.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

It's like 300 miles from all the other game areas.

Yeah while it would've been cool to have you build it up as a "stronghold," I don't really think that fits with the game lore. You'd need a hell of a lot more people to actually maintain it properly, it's basically a crumbling ruin where Vesemir spends his retirement. Works well as a hideout and meeting place for Witchers but none of them have any interest in rebuilding the school.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
With nobody knowing how to make a Witcher anymore since the siege, rebuilding a crumbling ruin that's several weeks hard ride from the nearest outpost of civilization would be pretty silly.

Not to mention it's so secret that most modern even modern wizards don't really know where it is, so what are you going to do? Kidnap locals from across the north and then massacre them afterwards? :black101:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Maybe if Geralt were a messiah figure in a single-player MMO it might make sense for him to gather the resources and small army needed to repair and rebuild a ruined, isolated mountain fortress.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pellisworth posted:

Maybe if Geralt were a messiah figure in a single-player MMO it might make sense for him to gather the resources and small army needed to repair and rebuild a ruined, isolated mountain fortress.

Luckily the point of Kaer Morhen in game is to be a badass set-piece and not a tacked-on stronghold. It was better than Skyhold or whatever it was DA: Inquisition.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't really mean that, I mean that it would have been nice for it to feel like a home away from the path. Like if it was a convenient store-room that had every herb you needed. Like I get all the in-universe ways why it's not a big deal, but this game seriously lacks some organizational tools and really punishes you for not trying to 100% it. The number of formulas that are randoms drops are hilarious. Kaer Morhen should have Vesemir's library, where you can buy every Witcher potion formula. At least up to Enhanced. It feels loving retarded being at Kaer Morhen with 3 other Witchers and not having every formula.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That dude outside Novigrad has you covered for a bunch of them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's not my point though. My point is "you go to Geralt's "home" where the guy who trained him lives, and you still have to physically travel places to get recipes?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I think I'm going to wait few weeks for NG+; let me forget the storyline a little. Though, I'm going to find it hard to do make different choices; like being rear end in a top hat dad and hurting ciri. Letho didn't import, so I have to make sure that I get him in this time around.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

That's not my point though. My point is "you go to Geralt's "home" where the guy who trained him lives, and you still have to physically travel places to get recipes?

Salamandra got the whole recipe book out of order and Vesemir won't let anyone touch it until he's got it back the way he wants it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Salamandra got the whole recipe book out of order and Vesemir won't let anyone touch it until he's got it back the way he wants it.

haha

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MoraleHazard posted:

I think I'm going to wait few weeks for NG+; let me forget the storyline a little. Though, I'm going to find it hard to do make different choices; like being rear end in a top hat dad and hurting ciri. Letho didn't import, so I have to make sure that I get him in this time around.

I played way too much and beat it like a month ago, have just been posting in the thread and avoiding playing until NG+ came out.

After about 10 hours into NG+, I really gotta say that's the way to do it. I would be pretty shocked if someone would finish this game and not be looking forward to a second playthrough at some point (take a break), it's just so rich and there's so loving much content.

Some general tips for newbies and people eyeing NG+:

-The strengths of this game lie in the dialogue and animations. Yellow text options advance the conversation. White text options are "flavor" and you should loving ALWAYS run through them. They'll deliver lore, context, background, character development in wonderfully done animation and voice acting. Don't skip poo poo. DON'T YOU DARE SKIP DIALOGUE. Explore every dialogue tree before progressing, trust me you'll love it.

-Play with as minimal HUD settings as you can handle. This is an extremely immersive RPG where random minor encounters and Witcher sense sleuthing are as good or better than the main quest content. Stumble around, pay attention to dialogue and journal entries. This is not a game that rewards rushing toward objectives, level progression, or fancy loot.

-Powergaming or obsessing over specs is not remotely necessary. The game level gates you in making monsters a certain threshold above you really mean, otherwise gaining better equipment and levels makes a minimal difference. It's really hard to gently caress up your spec and there are relatively inexpensive and infinite respecs available.

In general though, approach it as a true "open world RPG." Do what you want, drink in the environment and NPC dialogue, don't try and prioritize loot or leveling. This game is all about quality role-playing dialogue scenes with immense breadth and depth.

Edit: seriously you are better off picking your ability specialization based on which matching armor set most appeals to you visually. It really doesn't matter.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 23, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm actually probably going to do my next playthrough on "sword and story" after I finish Death March. The story is that good, and the gameplay, difficulty-wise, it that mediocre. Don't get me wrong, the challenge is fun, and overcoming it is rewarding, but between wanting to do parts of the story that I'm underlevelled for, and the fact that targeting is really unpolished, I'm hoping the lower difficulties will let me do shorter, more story-oriented playthroughs.

Also gently caress WATER HAGS. HOLY poo poo. gently caress YOUR MUDTHROWING BULLSHIT.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
So I just reached lvl 10 and haven't really spent a lot of my skill points yet. Can anyone point me to a good build that will allow me to get through the game pretty easily? I don't have a lot of time for games, but I'm loving the Witcher and would love to complete it in a reasonable time frame. I'm favoring sword play and signs at the moment so I'm looking for a good build that combines those. Perhaps more towards signs. Not interested in alchemy really. Would look at crossbows if that was viable.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I almost feel like this will end up as this decade's Planescape: Torment, where the actual gameplay and combat is rather divisive and easily broken over your knee, but the role-playing and writing is absolutely unparalleled.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I would say fast attacks are the best bang-for-your-buck in the sword tree and dps in general. I hear that igni upgrades (alt igni) is a bunch of damage as well.

Heavy attacks do a lot more damage per attack, but they are more a of commitment, and you will be punished for mistiming them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rhaegar posted:

So I just reached lvl 10 and haven't really spent a lot of my skill points yet. Can anyone point me to a good build that will allow me to get through the game pretty easily? I don't have a lot of time for games, but I'm loving the Witcher and would love to complete it in a reasonable time frame. I'm favoring sword play and signs at the moment so I'm looking for a good build that combines those. Perhaps more towards signs. Not interested in alchemy really. Would look at crossbows if that was viable.

If you are interested in signs, the best picks are the alternate modes in the second tier. I recommend alternate Yrden, get the Griffin school generic ability for stamina and some sign intensity, wear medium armor. You can drop regular (slowdown) Yrden traps simultaneously with alternate (lightning turret) Yrdens, which in combination are fantastic at controlling the battlefield. Alternate Igni (flamethrower) is also very good, and alternate Quen is great but may or may not suit your playstyle.

It's really hard to gently caress up specs and cheap/infinite to change them. Prioritize using all your available tools (signs, bombs, oils, potions/decoctions) and make sure to check out the bestiary to learn weaknesses. Your spec matters a lot less than you'd think.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I would just like to say that I feel totally vindicated that Gwent opponents cheat with respect to deck composition. The Armorer in Midcopse has a 21 card deck, and he plays at least one biting frost, one torrential rain, and one clear skies, meaning he's only running 18 unit cards. That cheating gently caress.

I mean, he's super easy, but now I feel like I"m justified in suspecting any opponent of having an illegal deck.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That random song in a pub that ends up being 2 minutes long was actually really nice (Dandelion Questline).

Skill tree stuff: will you be punished for being all over the place? I have 3 in signs, 5 in potions, 2 in general, and like 10 in attacks and with how many points you need to unlock the next tier I feel like I will be stuck with dumb little tier 1 skills when I'm supposed to be using endgame stuff.

Also is all the tier 2 attack stuff besides the revive skill as useless as it sounds? Like 5 skill points for a slightly increased critical chance, or some runes lying around in my inventory for the same thing

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just beat it. Eighty Two hours and sixteen minutes. Probably the longest a playthrough of a single player game has ever taken for me - MAYBE excepting Persona 4, back in the day. drat near a masterpiece, too. The character writing has always been really good in this series, but it was nigh-on flawless in this one. I was crazy attached to all of Geralt's friends/family by the end of the game, and this series really doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves for the way it writes Geralt - in that he fits right into the stereotypical archetype of the gruff, grizzled, grunty-voiced badass video game protagonist, but unlike all those archetypes is actually written as having a whole lot of loved ones who he spends a lot of time with and with whom the games go to great pains to establish really warm, natural, vital relationships. Granted, part of that will vary based on how the player has him behave, but still. He's become one of my favorite protagonists in a long, long time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can buy an item that lets you redo your skill stuff. I beat the game having one full quarter of each for the boosts and the last was like two in signs and two other things. You're not really penalized for it so far as I've noticed.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
This and TW2 are the only story driven games I've ever beaten then immediately started over to do another full playthrough.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The "recommended level"-stuff for quests is a bit annoying. Knowing that I will get less XP if they go grey makes me obsessive about trying to do the main quests at the last possible point before I outlevel them, doing sidequests until that point. And then the Isle of Mists/Kaer Morhen/tree segment comes, and almost all of my side quests are grey after that part is over. I wonder if quest XP would work better if every quest gave a fixed amount no matter your level, but the XP per level curve was changed to be quite a bit steeper. That way, you wouldn't feel you "wasted" XP by doing quests in a specific order.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah the level distribution is hosed. Here's hoping they've learned some valuable lessons about it for Cyberpunk and TW4.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I respecced into the alchemy tree and it's ridiculous how much it breaks the game. Having 9 bombs of each type and them splitting into 6 clusters each when thrown is a sea of fire everything dies in. That's of course on top of every potion healing you and activating random other potions and all of that lasts forever.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Does the cluster bomb talent still kill Ciri in the snowball fight?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Palpek posted:

I respecced into the alchemy tree and it's ridiculous how much it breaks the game. Having 9 bombs of each type and them splitting into 6 clusters each when thrown is a sea of fire everything dies in. That's of course on top of every potion healing you and activating random other potions and all of that lasts forever.

Direct damage bombs dont seem to be all that useful in NG+, unless there are versions that are better than superior? I'm about 50/50 heavy attack combat/alchemy now but I haven't touched the bombs tree - Grapeshot still does 600dmg, which is piddling on NG+ guys. I still use moondust/samum though. How much damage do the fragments do?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fishstick posted:

Direct damage bombs dont seem to be all that useful in NG+, unless there are versions that are better than superior? I'm about 50/50 heavy attack combat/alchemy now but I haven't touched the bombs tree - Grapeshot still does 600dmg, which is piddling on NG+ guys. I still use moondust/samum though. How much damage do the fragments do?

Haha if they forgot to scale up bomb damage in NG+. Or add in even more advanced recipes.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They did.

I have faith that one day, CDPR will make a balanced game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Does anybody else think that the wind is waaay over done? The game is supposed to have several weather conditions, but all I've experiences so far are "windy" and "very windy"

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Does anybody else think that the wind is waaay over done? The game is supposed to have several weather conditions, but all I've experiences so far are "windy" and "very windy"

Yeah.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I feel the way about rain, it rains too much. I almost always meditate for 23 hours when rain comes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The trees moving in the wind is what makes the environments so much better than Skyrim's, it's a huge part of the game's visual appeal so I can't complain.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Heavy attack may not be as easy / efficient as fast attack, but goddamn do I love hitting like a truck (archgriffin and chort/ekimmara decoction 24/7 + superior blizzard on harder fights) and almost every kill ending in brutal dismemberment. A really nice change of pace from my first playthrough on a signs build where every combat situation was dodging around, placing down yrdens/firestreams and occasionally stabbing stuff in the butt.

I still dont know how after 34+ levels I only ended up with enough lesser red mutagens to only make 2 normal ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

JetsGuy posted:

I feel the way about rain, it rains too much. I almost always meditate for 23 hours when rain comes.

Rain absolutely tanks the frame rate on console. I hate it.