Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unusual
Nov 12, 2013
Haven't seen this show and it's second season since they first aired so it's exciting to get back into watching it, I think it really holds up and so far the dub has been pretty great as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh man I'm always down for a Haruhi Simulwatch, gonna catch up on it now.

Can't wait for Endless Eight, because I've been holding onto this tribute avatar forever.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Davincie posted:

but yeah i would never blame anyone for dropping it. i did so myself several times before picking it back up. fwiw, nisemonogatari is the worst by far
I'll try one episode at a time. Maybe give my selective memory a chance to sort aside all that unsettling business and forget my moral obligation to abstain from accepting anything packaged with creeping evil.

Kytrarewn posted:

The answer is unequivocally 'yes' to watching them, but an equally unequivocal 'no' to postiing about them on SA because any discussion thereof will only produce the worst kinds of holier-than-thou goon shitposting.
The heads up is appreciated, but I can probably see where they're coming from. Back in '09 I crossed some K-ON and Bake in a tribute T print about half way through the series. Then Nadeko's snakes happened... and I couldn't wear it without shame anymore. :negative:

Front:

Back:

So getting back to Haruhi while still subtly plugging my proud creative projects: I want to make a Haruhi shirt design now. Quite possibly with a lame commemorative "ADTRW Simulwatchathon XVIII" affix... and quotes... and I'm getting ahead of myself. Anyways, I'd welcome any ideas.

edit: Giant pngs replaced with reasonable sizes. Sorry about that.

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 23, 2015

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

blastron posted:

Can't wait for Endless Eight, because I've been holding onto this tribute avatar forever.

8's and infinity loops have all been ruined through association with that utter poo poo hospital scene in Basic :ughh: (John Travolta/Sam Jackson movie).

edit: Seeing it a second time, that scene is not poo poo, and Giovanni Ribisi can projectile vomit an impressive amount of fake blood.

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 23, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ferretts posted:

I'll try one episode at a time. Maybe give my selective memory a chance to sort aside all that unsettling business and forget my moral obligation to abstain from accepting anything packaged with creeping evil.

The heads up is appreciated, but I can probably see where they're coming from. Back in '09 I crossed some K-ON and Bake in a tribute T print about half way through the series. Then Nadeko's snakes happened... and I couldn't wear it without shame anymore. :negative:

Front:

Back:

So getting back to Haruhi while still subtly plugging my proud creative projects: I want to make a Haruhi shirt design now. Quite possibly with a lame commemorative "ADTRW Simulwatchathon XVIII" affix... and quotes... and I'm getting ahead of myself. Anyways, I'd welcome any ideas.

edit: Giant pngs replaced with reasonable sizes. Sorry about that.

Lol you would wear a T-shirt that says Anime Death Tentacle Rape Wearhouse on it. Nobody on the planet who saw it would know though, that's cool.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In Training posted:

Lol you would wear a T-shirt that says Anime Death Tentacle Rape Wearhouse on it. Nobody on the planet who saw it would know though, that's cool.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

I always thought it was a Whorehouse.

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 23, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ferretts posted:

I always thought it was a Whorehouse.

It is/was but Warehouse is definitely funnier.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=151

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Glad Sham Bam Bambina set the record straight.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Holy poo poo, the SAclopedia still exists? It's like a museum!

No Haruhi entry, kind of surprisingly. I didn't watch any of this stuff back then but there were banners and avatars everywhere for it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Finally getting around to watching yesterday's set, seeing Nagato play Othello against Mikuru, did remind me that it's always interesting the rare occasion we see Nagato, Mikuru, or Itsuki interact directly with each other. We got a little of that in the movie too when Nagato and Itsuki talked to each other.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm finally caught up and ready for tomorrow.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

how far in are you guys. i still haven't seen the movie and this seems like as good a time as any

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fungah! posted:

how far in are you guys. i still haven't seen the movie and this seems like as good a time as any

watch the movie, it's good

I'm reading the manga adaptation of the non-animated LN stuff right now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

Thank you for reminding me to update the OP with the schedule

In Training posted:

8/17 - Episodes 1 and 2
8/19 - Episodes 3 and 4
8/21 - Episodes 5 and 6
8/24 - Episodes 7 and 8
8/26 - Episodes 9 and 10
8/28 - Episodes 11 and 12
8/31 - Episodes 13 and 14
9/2 - Episode 15, Break
9/11 - Endless Eight Marathon
9/XX - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya
9/XX - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

It's this, so tomorrow we are watching 7 and 8 Broadcast Order.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Thank you for reminding me to update the OP with the schedule

It's this, so tomorrow we are watching 7 and 8 Broadcast Order.

sweet. i'm busy all theis week so i'll get caught up while i'm on the plane on saturday. ty for running this

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

All those different broadcast orders are loving me up. I finally found out which kind of order I actually have after watching the wrong ones at first. And then today I checked out the beginning of the first episode for tomorrow and thought: man, I've hosed up again. And then I remembered we're watching the hosed up broadcast order...

:psyduck:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the hosed up braodcast order's better imo, the climax of the story comes halfway through and they were smart enough to recognize that and do something cool with it. il ike the actual last episode a lot, it's maybe my favorite or at least top five, but as the last installment of the story yuou get before the movie it's not great

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i remember being 15 and watching it while it aired and not getting it but i rewatched it + disappearance in ~3 days in may and its the best. its just the best. i will jump in for the next viewing.

also i have a theory that endless eight is the closest a piece of pop culture has come to approximating a douglas gordon installation (or something of similar highbrow renown like slow cinema or what have you) but i can talk about that when we get to it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I missed the whole Endless Eight thing, did they actually re-animated every episode or just like air the same one eight times?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

I missed the whole Endless Eight thing, did they actually re-animated every episode or just like air the same one eight times?

New animation and new takes of the same script iirc

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's a cool, easy way to demonstrate how the way shots are framed can affect a scene

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Also doesnt Haruhi wear different swimsuits some episodes?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pretty much every outfit and detail is switched up quite a few times, and so are shot composition and dialogue delivery IIRC.
It's truly a somewhat insane work of art.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That makes more sense, I was wondering how people could genuinely like it if it was exactly the same every time.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

That makes more sense, I was wondering how people could genuinely like it if it was exactly the same every time.

reading adtrw when it was happening was cool because everyone was losing their loving minds every week lol. easily top 5 trolls ever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah it's 8 episodes with nearly identical dialogue but otherwise completely different. It's incredibly cool.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Kyon-kun, denwa~

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the best episode of endless eight is the one where mikuru's phone call is just her blubbering with no real words

it owns so much

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

How many of these people are now permabanned?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

In Training posted:

Yeah it's 8 episodes with nearly identical dialogue but otherwise completely different. It's incredibly cool.

But it's still one of those things I like much more in theory than in practice. They could've gotten the point across in half the episodes without really losing anything. If I was watching it live I absolutely would have lost my poo poo too.

Though even in spite of all that, the last 5-10 minutes of the arc might be some of my favorite scenes in the entire series, so it's hard to be too mad about it.

Actually, it's premature to talk about it now, I guess--here comes Nagato to bonk us on the nose--but I definitely look forward to hearing what people say about it when we get there in the watch.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Agronox posted:

But it's still one of those things I like much more in theory than in practice. They could've gotten the point across in half the episodes without really losing anything. If I was watching it live I absolutely would have lost my poo poo too.

Though even in spite of all that, the last 5-10 minutes of the arc might be some of my favorite scenes in the entire series, so it's hard to be too mad about it.

Actually, it's premature to talk about it now, I guess--here comes Nagato to bonk us on the nose--but I definitely look forward to hearing what people say about it when we get there in the watch.

I think every Endless Eight episode makes Disappearance that much better. An infinite amount of Endless Eight episodes would make Disappearance infinitely good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This week I will fulfil my promise of talking about why broadcast order owns.

For now please enjoy my avatar shaking

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lot of people in that shot doing the sperger slouch

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Agronox posted:

They could've gotten the point across in half the episodes without really losing anything.

This notion is ridiculous--art that works with repetition works specifically with time and duration and perceptions shift and meanings are gained and created (or lost and destroyed) for the longer that things go on. E.g. 2:33 in a loop based ambient song may not mean the same thing to you as 5:33 might mean even if the sounds are identical. Andy Warhol's Marilyn Prints lose and gain etc. the meaning they bear in the image the longer you look at them. The seven minute long take in Tsai Ming-Liang's Vive L'amour of a woman crying is so heartbreaking because it goes on for seven minutes. Or whatever example works for you.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 24, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Vive L'amour is insanely good.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Its good. Hes good. I'll talk more about him when we get to watching Endless Eight probably.

Anyway I think the point for now is that Endless Eight is good because it is justified by Disappearance but its also good in its own right.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

dailydares posted:

This notion is ridiculous--art that works with repetition works specifically with time and duration and perceptions shift and meanings are gained and created (or lost and destroyed) for the longer that things go on.

I hope you are right and I am willing to be convinced, but let's wait until we get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Too busy to take part in this, and I've already re-watched this show more times than I'll ever admit, but drat is it nostalgic to go through my archive and see what fanart I saved and terrible photoshops I contributed.

I even remember this lol I saved it as haruhidnd.jpg

• Locked thread