Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Owlkill posted:

What are people's thoughts on priming? Most of my previous modelling experience was with Games Workshop miniatures, where the received wisdom seemed to be to ALWAYS undercoat. I've put a couple of starter kits together this year and used grey Humbrol primer on them before I painted them, but the tiny spray can is close to running out and I'm wondering if it's really worth spending another £8 on a new can or if there are cheaper alternatives (ie non-Tamiya/Humbrol paints, or just not undercoating). I don't use an airbrush (not far enough into the hobby that I can really justify the outlay yet).

I'm guessing you're in Europe somewhere. Maybe you can try Halford plastic primer? http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/cleaning-body-repair/car-spray-paints/halfords-plastic-primer-grey-spray-300ml

I know it's automotive primer, but I've read some good things about it on a couple forums. I haven't been able to give it a shot since it's not really available here in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

AlphaDog posted:

I tried the freezer/tap thing to get glue unstuck and was completely unsuccessful.

So I picked up a couple more kits and some supplies, a Stug and an Fw.190.

I got the Stug finished today, the gloss clearcoat > decals > wash & drybrush > matte coat thing was fun and seemed to work pretty well. I'm trying to follow along with some youtube tutorials and stuff, but I get a bit lost. I wanted to make the thing "damaged", so I snipped one of the (horrible rubber) tracks and tried to make it look like it'd broken a link, but I don't think it worked super well. I'm enjoying the modelling and learning though, so win, I guess. As before, I'd love advice so I can improve.

I'll do the plane next, then maybe some infantry and see how those go.

I'd love to be able to do those wooden ship models, but I doubt I have the skills yet and even the "beginner" stuff seems super complicated.

Great looking StuG! The problem with vinyl tracks is that they can't really represent anything but tightly adjusted intact tracks for the reason that real tracks have weight throughout, and will sag over the idlers when broken. Here's what a real broken track looks like.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So somebody described craptank as a child's rendering of a IS-3. So that gave me an idea.

I painted it white, then used coloring pencils. I tried crayon, but the results were not too good.

I painted the tracks white too, but then all the paint just flaked off so I said gently caress it

Also used a pencil to highlight details and do the machine gun.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A strong and bold choice. I like it.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Fantastic, I love the brown crayon track marks. Nice touch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Crayola tank is good stuff. I agree that that terrain and track marks are great.

Almost done with the standing rigging.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

While you guys are making tanks I made... a cardboard box! Well a cardboard box with windows now.

I'm basing it on this lovely building

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 24, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The box looks pretty good. What are you planning to do with the inside of it so that it doesn't look like a hollow box through all those windows?

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Had kind of a crappy day today, but sitting down and finishing my spitfire made me feel a bit better. :unsmith:

Troll Bridgington fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 24, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Locator posted:

The box looks pretty good. What are you planning to do with the inside of it so that it doesn't look like a hollow box through all those windows?

I'll put something solid and black inside a ways from the windows. If I was feeling extra crazy I'd make a sort of interior made out of cardboard put together like the spacer thingy inside a beer bottle box.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Big props for scribble-tank, it's perfect.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

Crayola tank is good stuff. I agree that that terrain and track marks are great.

Looks lovely.

All these tank builds made me grab another partwork off of Ebay. This 140 issue monster by Hachette will end up in a Tiger I at 1:16 with full metal chassis, metal track and a complete interior.

This part of the barrel alone weighs more than most plastic kits.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Locator posted:

Goddamn that looks awesome.

Do you know of anywhere that I could read about how to get into wooden ships as a complete beginner? Maybe a site that lays out "you need these tools and equipment, this is how you do x, this is how you do y"?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Trawling (see what I did there?) modelshipworld.com should give you plenty of ideas, but if there's a good beginner guide/book I'd be interested too.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

There's a good book on historic shipbuilding I would recommend (at least the original German version is excellent)

http://www.amazon.com/Historic-Ship-Models-Wolfram-Mondfeld/dp/0806957336

It is however a bit disorganized and it doesn't qualify as a tutorial. It's more a collection of "what you can do" and doesn't tell you "First you would need to do this and then that". It's more "Here's a bunch of things you can do when building a hull / These are techniques to do the rigging and it should look like this to be historically correct."

Also the author is incredibly condescending. He's a master builder and boy will he let you know.

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 24, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

Do you know of anywhere that I could read about how to get into wooden ships as a complete beginner? Maybe a site that lays out "you need these tools and equipment, this is how you do x, this is how you do y"?

To my knowledge, modelshipworld.com is going to be your best starting point. It has a lot of resource material both on the forum, and in the linked Nautical Research Guild site, including a nice thread on tools you need, articles on choosing your first model, planking, etc.

There isn't going to be a comprehensive step 1 through step x for a specific beginner model, because every model is so much different from the others. The closest approximation to a full step by step instruction guide would be practicums that are available for some kits. For example http://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com/ sells practicums for quite a few models (I am using his AVS practicum), but even with the practicum I've found significant differences between the walk-through and reality. Either the kit has changed in the 10+ years since it was written, or he was just wrong about some things. I use it mostly as a guide to keep me on track, and tips & tricks, rather than a detailed step by step instruction.

I don't think you really need a practicum though, if you spend a good bit of time on modelshipworld.com, go through all the reference material that is stickied or on the NRG site, and then when you get ready to start, pick a model with a lot of existing build logs, and just read through all of them and use their guidance, then post your own build log when you start and get feedback and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a ton of people that will be happy to help.

On the book front, there are a bunch of books out there on wooden ship building, and I have probably 30 of them by now, but again, no 'step by step' instruction type books that are really good, unless you've selected a very specific ship that is covered in one of the really expensive reference books like the Swan class books available from SeaWatch Books. It's a 4 volume set, and it costs $70 per volume plus shipping ( http://www.seawatchbooks.com/AboutSwan.htm ). But most of those type of books are aimed at the scratch builders. They are chock full of fantastic information that can be applied to similar ships and features, but probably not something I'd recommend a beginner invest in!

I do have the book linked by Greyhawk, and I've used it a number of times, but yea, it's not really a step by step guide by any stretch.

This book by Frank Mastini is recommended by a lot of guys too - http://www.amazon.com/Ship-Modeling-Simplified-Techniques-Construction/dp/0071558675/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=134WCTTS7293P9BEP14T

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The nerd in me chose a name.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

The Locator posted:

That is fantastic.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

The Locator posted:

You can learn all the math in the World... but you take a boat out to sea that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she ought to sink... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Greyhawk posted:

Also the author is incredibly condescending. He's a master builder and boy will he let you know.

Hah! This was my big takeaway from this book as well. Any chance the author has to put down amateurs or condescend to the readers is used to good effect.

I don't know if it's a european thing or what. I see the same from a lot of the european master modelers. Even when they're generally upbeat people like Mig Jiminez, out of the blue they'll have a comment letting you know just how little they think about someones technique or style of modeling.

The Locator posted:

I think I can see Frank Costanza gesticulating furiously by the taffrail.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't know if it's a european thing or what. I see the same from a lot of the european master modelers. Even when they're generally upbeat people like Mig Jiminez, out of the blue they'll have a comment letting you know just how little they think about someones technique or style of modeling.

It's worse with Mondfeld, because he's a German prince, or rather would be if we would still recognize nobility here. They tend to still think of themselves as better than the general population.

I should know, my girlfriends father is the same way and he's the equivalent of a baronet or would be if his title was still worth 10 bucks.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Over in the Scale Modeling thread we have been having a group project for the month of August. The idea was to all buy the same cheapo crap kit and see who could come up with the best end product.

It was decided to buy the Airfix 1:72 IS-3 tank kit. This kit is not without it's problems as it was designed by someone who had never seen the tank expect for one photograph, as Pierzak found out.

Pierzak posted:

I have that too. I accidentally shaved down the nub that's supposed to help with barrel orientation because it had a major mold shift.
And the gas cans are horrible. One side empty, the other has random holes or weird black poo poo on it, and again, mold shift in the middle.

Other attractions:
- mold feeds for tracks are in the recesses :wtc:
- a huge mold feed(?) on the side of the machine gun
- part numbers on the outside of the undercarriage, because why place it on the otherside
- the barrel was already mentioned (drill your barrels! :vomarine:), but is mounted off-center.

Basically, the poster who suggested this kit can go sit on a cactus :argh:

So Ladies and Gentlemen I am cross posting here for your judgement! The winner gets to pick the next monstrosity of a model for us all to do!

In no particular order I present to you....Crap Tank!

The Locator posted:

I think I'm done with craptank for now. Reasonably happy with it given that it's my first plastic model in 30 years, but it certainly has some issues and things I would do different if I could start over.

Troll Bridgington posted:

Okay. NOW I'm calling it done with this tank. Added some rust, some burnt umber washes, the decals, and a matt coat. Bonus pictures of babby tank's older brother model in the background.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Introducing Joseph "Get rich or kill those trying" $talin and his trusty wingman Lavrentiy Party-vich Beriya!

Featuring chrome-lined barrel (from the outside)

Senior party members only.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

here's craptank anyway.

big_g posted:

I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Warmachine posted:

Craptank has been sitting like this for roughly two weeks now, since I've had poo poo for time. I did carve out the muzzle break. I also stuck modeling putty in the tracks and called it close enough. Seriously gently caress vinyl. Not sure if I'll do a camo, or if I'll take the lazy tank crew option and just detail and weather it.

Ahahahaha we all know the answer here. gently caress this tank.

Nebakenezzer posted:

So somebody described craptank as a child's rendering of a IS-3. So that gave me an idea.

I painted it white, then used coloring pencils. I tried crayon, but the results were not too good.

I painted the tracks white too, but then all the paint just flaked off so I said gently caress it

Also used a pencil to highlight details and do the machine gun.

headcas3 posted:

My craptank finally showed up but I don't have part 51. I see the space for it on the sprue but it's not there or in the box

lilljonas posted:

Crappy soviet tank project? No problem, just need a soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUWUtTZvK4

Anyway, craptank was my first attempt at (excessive) hair spray chipping. Well, it didn't go perfectly, though it looks a bit better in person than on the photos. At least now I got a feel to the method, and know what to do when I'll try it on a serious kit next time. At least it was a ton of fun to scratch the hell out of it with dental tools and a broken off piece of bamboo skewer.

We will bury them!

Unkempt posted:

Well, we all know what this is:

I see two problems here:
- that gun is clearly too small
- all those tiny little wheels.

So:

And:

A bit of surgery:

Getting there:

Here we go!

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

STRAIGHT DOWN THE AUTOBAHN TO BLOW HITLER'S loving FACE RIGHT OFF

YEAH
Job done.

Arquinsiel posted:

Craptank pictures! I went in a different direction to most of you and decided to paint this as a tank I might actually get some wargames use out of at some point, so I present to you: Uncie Joe's Egyptian summer holiday '67!:

That says exactly what you'd think it says (probably).

ETA: the green chips are because the Russians shipped the IS3-Ms they sold to Egypt painted, and the Egyptians sort of lazily painted over that and in the field it all flaked off and resulted in a mottled mess.

Sanguine posted:

So, with the crappiness of crap tank I though 'why waste paint?' Also the discussion a bit back about instructions for painting tanks using grass in fuel got me thinking, so.. why not paint it with grass?

First step was trying some grass in pet spirits - but no dice. It's not strong enough to lyse the cells, so the grass will need to be ground up.

As a trial I used a couple of sanding sticks to mill the grass.

Looks promising, but after trying it on the tank it left bugger all colour and took ages to dry. When it was dry another coat just tore off the old one, so back to the drawing board.

So, plan B involved methylated spirits and a mortar and pestle.

Looking good, but lumpy. So using a handy old-sock filter:

I got about 10 ml of the 'paint'.

I put it through an airbrush without too many blockages, and about 15 to 20 coats later I decided 'gently caress it, that'll do'.

So there ya go, a genuine grass-coloured vaguely IS-3 shaped tank.

big_g fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 1, 2015

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

big_g posted:

So we a have week left to finish crap tank so I thought I would take it upon myself to post an up to date summary of where we are all at.

Some loving good work here lads.

In no particular order.

It was good fun, both building the crap tank and seeing everybody else's. I wouldn't mind doing more "crap model" stuff in the future.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

big_g posted:

So we a have week left to finish crap tank so I thought I would take it upon myself to post an up to date summary of where we are all at.

Some loving good work here lads.

In no particular order.

I feel so left out now.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

The Locator posted:

I feel so left out now.

I thought some tab had been closed by accident when I was making the post. Edited you in now so no need to worry.

I think we should post all these to the Miniature Painting Thread in Trad Games next week to see who they think is the best. Winner chooses next crap kit.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

big_g posted:

I thought some tab had been closed by accident when I was making the post. Edited you in now so no need to worry.

I think we should post all these to the Miniature Painting Thread in Trad Games next week to see who they think is the best. Winner chooses next crap kit.

Mind throwing mine in there as well? It got lost quite a few pages back. :v:

Are there any really crappy plane kits?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

drat, sorry. I missed yours with it being the first one posted early doors. Edited in now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here you go, a good kit of a really crappy plane.
http://scaleplasticandrail.com/kabo...ittyhawk-models

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Here you go, a good kit of a really crappy plane.
http://scaleplasticandrail.com/kabo...ittyhawk-models

Heh "Whichever way you slice it, the Lockheed F-35 is a critically important aircraft that in coming decades will fill the ranks of the United States and most of its allies."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Locator posted:

Yes!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

big_g posted:

That's a good idea.

Though I should say, there are lots of small kits, and many of them are not even crap. That 1/350 U-boat I built last year was $10. There is also a ton of fun little 1/144 fighter jets from all sorts of manufacturers for around that price point. Italeri's tiny tanks are usually sold at a low price and are usually pretty good.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Nebakenezzer posted:

fun little 1/144 fighter jets

This will end in a lot of fighter jets crashing against the walls in frustration. Should definitely do this.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Model Expo ( https://www.modelexpo-online.com ) is having another 50% off anything sale, including the Corel wooden ship kits which they won't even get in stock until September, and of course as with the last one, the entire line of Vallejo paints.

No free shipping this time though.

Use offer code DL15, good through September 15th.

Edit: Not going anywhere near a 1/144th scale anything.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The Locator posted:

Model Expo ( https://www.modelexpo-online.com ) is having another 50% off anything sale, including the Corel wooden ship kits which they won't even get in stock until September, and of course as with the last one, the entire line of Vallejo paints.

No free shipping this time though.

Use offer code DL15, good through September 15th.

Edit: Not going anywhere near a 1/144th scale anything.

1/144 is not that bad. If we go that route might I suggest the Revell F-14 kits?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
1/144 jets are actually pretty drat huge. F-14s are bigger than B-25s, for example.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

The Locator posted:

The only nerd reference I can think of is Serenity Now bombing the funeral in World of Warcraft. What's the reference?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Uh... Firefly?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Uh... Firefly?

Yes.

Also, for non-sci-fi reference, the definition of 'serenity' is "the state of being calm, peaceful, and untroubled", and I thought it was funny name for a privateer, whose purpose for existence is pretty much the opposite of serene.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 25, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

\/ Good

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something