Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

(http://gobi-baptiste-gaubert.tumblr.com/post/76954228776/just-as-a-reminder-im-the-author-of-this-comic)

Throwing a stroke around foreground elements can be a big help.

That aura helps them pop.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Scribblehatch posted:

(http://gobi-baptiste-gaubert.tumblr.com/post/76954228776/just-as-a-reminder-im-the-author-of-this-comic)

Throwing a stroke around foreground elements can be a big help.

That aura helps them pop.

This works, and might look really nice with your comic, Puzzle Thing. This is also an option, since you use a lot of bright colours and I've already seen you use a few gradients to indicate light in what I've scrolled through on tapastic:

I use mild to severe gradients to dull pieces of the backgrounds that would otherwise confuse objects or characters in the scene that are in the foreground or midground. It can be a really quick way to add depth and keep important line-art from merging with background elements. I did a quick and dirty sample with on of your panels to show you the difference it makes here:

You can make it more or less opaque depending on whatever look you like, but assuming you have foreground and background line art separated on different layers it should be pretty simple to implement if you like it.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Has Hiveworks ever actually had an open submissions week? Maybe I just don't check the right places but ever since they instituted the policy of only accepting submissions between certain dates I've never seen it happen.

Is it in fact more like a masonic secret society one has to be invited to by a relative or high ranking official?

I joke but am also genuinely curious.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Fortis posted:

Has Hiveworks ever actually had an open submissions week? Maybe I just don't check the right places but ever since they instituted the policy of only accepting submissions between certain dates I've never seen it happen.

Is it in fact more like a masonic secret society one has to be invited to by a relative or high ranking official?

I joke but am also genuinely curious.

We briefly had an open call in February, but since it coincided with Inkblazers shutting down, we were absolutely flooded with applications from people who were pretty desperate to find new and immediate homes for their comics before everything went offline, submissions stayed open a for like a week rather than a month like we initially announced. All told, we ended up with something like a thousand comics to evaluate and ended up accepting only about 10 to 15 people. They'll probably do another application process next year.

That said, they're not technically ever NOT taking on new comics, but when it isn't open call, they're usually reviewed and/or invited on the recommendation or suggestions of current members. Back when I joined I was recommended by someone that I hadn't even really talked to before, but who really liked my stuff. I sort of feel like I lucked out because we completely blew up (in a good way) after that, and I imagine that if I were to recommend something now, it would have to be either super professional quality or be filling a niche or genre or appealing to a specific audience that we feel we're lacking in. And on top of that, while I can't speak for anyone else, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending even a really professional looking, niche-filling comic if the author(s) had trouble meeting deadlines and had patchy schedules. I've had friends ask me to recommend them before and I just couldn't do it because they were unreliable and I knew that they spent a lot of time they could be using to update more frequently on crippling gaming addictions, yikes. D:

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Any advice on a good font size? I'd like to settle on a size now so that the entire story is the same.

I'm currently using Blambot's Unmasked at 16pt on an A4 template in Manga Studio. But I have no idea if it's too big or not.

The narration is pretty sparse right now, so it's still easy to change, but later when there are actual conversations between characters, I don't want the text to overpower the art.

Is 12 pt too small? What font sizes do you all use?

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Kruxy posted:

Any advice on a good font size? I'd like to settle on a size now so that the entire story is the same.

I'm currently using Blambot's Unmasked at 16pt on an A4 template in Manga Studio. But I have no idea if it's too big or not.

The narration is pretty sparse right now, so it's still easy to change, but later when there are actual conversations between characters, I don't want the text to overpower the art.

It depends entirely on the font--I know that some fonts in my library can be the same numerical size but visibly be three times the size of other fonts with the same specs. The size the font shows up will also change with your document size, so telling you what size to use might not actually be helpful.

I am currently using a hand-written font I made myself. I use it at 8pts.

The best rule of thumb is to make sure it is readable on a smaller mobile device, like an iPhone 4s (made before iPhones became gigantic for some reason). The more you make people work to read your work, the more likely they are to give up on it.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

Kruxy posted:

16pt is the standard UX minimum for mobile devices, AFAIK. Since the font is in caps that makes it more difficult to read (the eye doesn't have any height variances to help it discern the first and last letter of every word), you may want to test different sizes on the same page to readers on mobile.

If you don't care about mobile then 12-14pt will probably be fine. In print you can get away with 10pt.

Man, what a nightmare it would be to have to engineer a liquid comic layout to fit all those minimums. Luckily you can aim for the smallest possible layout size (mobile) and it expands fairly well into larger layouts, rather than vice versa!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I finished my pencils, 30 pages!

Now to get it inked for SPX/Topatocon I'm so excited.

E: and the first page is up. Holy moly I'm pumped about this comic :dance: .

Mercury Hat fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 21, 2015

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Is that how the program lays them out?

Because I keep my pages aligned kinda like that in Sai, but it's all very manual. (And I kinda like it)

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

If you spring for manga studio ex (which I got on a hellaciously good sale) it has a book layout mode that groups your pages together in a unique file. It's not exactly necessary and probably not worth the price difference, but it's nice to have.

The other thing ex comes with is the 3d poser model things I never use.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!
Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if anyone here who uses Manga Studio 5 has upgraded to Windows 10 and if they've experienced any issues?

I'm thinking of upgrading but the worry that things will be a bit wonky with manga studio has held me back from doing so.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Kave posted:

Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if anyone here who uses Manga Studio 5 has upgraded to Windows 10 and if they've experienced any issues?

I'm thinking of upgrading but the worry that things will be a bit wonky with manga studio has held me back from doing so.

I've upgraded two computers from 8 and have had no issues on either.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I did have problems with the installer crashing, but it all works now? :shrug: Just install the latest 5.0.6 update to be sure.

It still says it's preparing for first time use whenever I fire it up, but that's a minor inconvenience at best.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Updated RAWR! Dinosaur Friends this weekend...On accident. Tumblr's 'plain language' scheduling UI leaves a lot to be desired. You tell it 'next Saturday' it means, oh, the nearest possible Saturday, SO YOU MEAN TOMORROW, OKAY. Tapastic's is better because it has a clickable calendar.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

GreatJob posted:

Updated RAWR! Dinosaur Friends this weekend...On accident. Tumblr's 'plain language' scheduling UI leaves a lot to be desired. You tell it 'next Saturday' it means, oh, the nearest possible Saturday, SO YOU MEAN TOMORROW, OKAY. Tapastic's is better because it has a clickable calendar.

That's absurdly cute :3:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
So hey, if anyone wants a good example of how not to respond to a rejection from a comics anthology (or how not to interact with another human being ever) here you go.

https://twitter.com/neekaneeks/status/635244348007776256

Jesus christ.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

JuniperCake posted:

So hey, if anyone wants a good example of how not to respond to a rejection from a comics anthology (or how not to interact with another human being ever) here you go.

https://twitter.com/neekaneeks/status/635244348007776256

Jesus christ.

I'm pretty sure I found that guy's blog and his ramblings are on another level.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
You can't say that and not share.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

painted bird posted:

You can't say that and not share.

You can go look it up... I'd rather not turn this thread into too much of a (what's the opposite of a circle-jerk?) targetting one particular crazy person on the internet.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Aug 24, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Helldump?

gently caress if I know, I'm a post-aughties reg.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Fangz posted:

(what's the opposite of a circle-jerk?)

bukkake.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

What's the learning curve on a wacom? Like how long does it take before you don't feel like a stupid scrawling baby with poo poo motor skills.

I have this super old second-hand Intuos GD wacom, and while it works just fine, it's frustrating as hell to actually draw on cause my hand doesn't go where I want it to go. I can rough out body forms just fine, but the moment I start inking, I can't follow the lines that are there.

While I could do everything in traditional media with pencils and inking and be much happier with the result, I don't have any way to scan in 14x17 inch bristol board and everyone wants digital anyway.

How long did it take before you all felt comfortable drawing on a tablet.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Kruxy posted:

What's the learning curve on a wacom? Like how long does it take before you don't feel like a stupid scrawling baby with poo poo motor skills.

I have this super old second-hand Intuos GD wacom, and while it works just fine, it's frustrating as hell to actually draw on cause my hand doesn't go where I want it to go. I can rough out body forms just fine, but the moment I start inking, I can't follow the lines that are there.

While I could do everything in traditional media with pencils and inking and be much happier with the result, I don't have any way to scan in 14x17 inch bristol board and everyone wants digital anyway.

One thing you can do is sketch with paper and pencil then scan it into your drawing program. Drafting something from a blank digital canvas is a little on the steep side of the learning curve. By using the paper -> scan method, you don't have to worry about skewing the base of a drawing, and can slowly get used to the tablet / hand-eye coordination.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Kruxy posted:

Over 10 years and I still don't :smith:
I've gone back to doing most of everything in traditional media and scanning.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Kruxy posted:

Honestly, I'd say be happy and deal with the tedium of chopping up/scanning and color correcting versus being unhappy and saving 30 minutes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Using a tablet is like playing Surgeon Simulator to me but the paper sketch to digital ink is a good transition. I'd throw my tablet out the window if I didn't need it for touch ups.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I make gross edits to a drawing that I couldn't / wouldn't do on paper. It's a useful step.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Kruxy posted:

It took me a month or so of daily use iirc. Practice drawing circles.
Digital inking is always a pain in the rear end though, you just have to make a line, ctr-z, try again over and over (though theres's apps like lazy nezumi for PS and drawing programs with smoothing built in like Manga Studio that help).

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Delta Echo posted:

I make gross edits to a drawing that I couldn't / wouldn't do on paper. It's a useful step.

gross edits indeed

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Taping a piece of drawing paper over the active area worked wonders for me, just be ready to get through a few more nibs than you normally would.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Actually.

What I found worked wonders was ordering a screen protector from photodon.com, getting cotton gloves from a CVS, cutting the thumb, index, and middle fingers off them for the right hand, and then ordering felt stylus nibs (each individual nib lasts about a week before getting too grungy.)

This is how I solved my "feels like drawing on glass" and "my hand drags across it, when it didn't on paper" problems. For a cintiq, anyway.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

sweeperbravo posted:

That's absurdly cute :3:

Thank you! At first I thought you were talking about my ramblings about queueing UI because my image hadn't loaded.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I'm up to 10 pages done (only uploading one a day though), I'm having a lot of fun drawing this :toot: . I don't often draw people being assholes to each other, it's a nice change of pace.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Hello stran̈́ger my sexy bear
i'm feeͯliַng fr̐isky.. want to h́0͔0ͬkup? s͟end m̒e a msg so we c٘an chat.
My user͡name īs Linnea ;)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Our first Toronto Comics anthology got nominated for a Gene Day award! That's pretty nifty.

We're kicking up our third book right now, and our deadline for pitches is this Sunday Aug 30 if you happen to live in Toronto. Since TCAF, we've had a lot of really talented folks reach out, and we're going to have a hard time keeping the total page count to a reasonable size. It's crazy to see how far the project has come since we started it in March 2014!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Anyone else tabling at Rose City Comic Con here in Portland, Oregon next month?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

EDIT: Looks like I've fixed it; apparently it needed to be switched from "Wintab" to "Tablet PC" (I have no idea WTF but at least I can draw now.)

Oh God can someone help me, or point me to a place to get a solution?

Something has gone horribly wrong with Manga Studio 5.

I tried updating to Windows 10, and made sure to update MS5 and my tablet drivers. Then, I tried to do stuff in MS5 and now the pen suddenly gets all sluggish but only in the drawing window. (It seems to be something related to the perspective rulers)

So I went back to Win8, like I'd been using, but MS5 is still acting like it's drunk.

How do I make MS work again? Augh this is the worst.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 31, 2015

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Let's say you're doing a regularly updated comic, and you hit a patch where keeping your schedule becomes impossible, either due to Life Stuff or just needing to play catchup. Do you guys think it's smarter to go on hiatus 'til you know you're in a good place again, or to go on an "irregular schedule" and just put up comics whenever you can get them out?

I tend to go the hiatus route, because I think it's better for the quality of the work and kinder to readers in the long run. Maybe I'm wrong, though? It feels pretty lovely, leaving readers high and dry for a couple of weeks, and I don't know if it winds up alienating people.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

WrathOfBlade posted:

Let's say you're doing a regularly updated comic, and you hit a patch where keeping your schedule becomes impossible, either due to Life Stuff or just needing to play catchup. Do you guys think it's smarter to go on hiatus 'til you know you're in a good place again, or to go on an "irregular schedule" and just put up comics whenever you can get them out?

I tend to go the hiatus route, because I think it's better for the quality of the work and kinder to readers in the long run. Maybe I'm wrong, though? It feels pretty lovely, leaving readers high and dry for a couple of weeks, and I don't know if it winds up alienating people.

I've been doing this since 2011 and have always done the hiatus thing. In my experience, as long as you're up front about when you'll be back and can stick to that deadline, no one really minds. People who are gonna read your comic are gonna read your comic, as long as they know when to go check for a page.

edit: that said, I guess I don't know if it alienates anyone. I personally like to know when to check, and comics that update whenever drive me kinda nuts. I can say that going on hiatuses has never had an impact on my readership that I can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

WrathOfBlade posted:

Do what you have to do. People might wish for regular updates back but they'll still keep up with you as long as you still put work out, no matter the pace. Your health and your wellness should come before anything else.