Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still confused as to what am I supposed to do at start and I keep running out of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hunt bounties. They pay a stupid amount of money.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Prey on small pirate groups, save up for some more frigates and maybe a freighter by selling the salvage. When you get up to a decent cargo capacity (starting around 250 or so?) start shipping goods around. Go into the Intel menu to check for trade disruptions, buy goods at low prices and sell them high. Food shortages especially are huge moneymaking opportunities. You could also go the bounty hunting route, but I wouldn't recommend that until you have a somewhat beefy fleet.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

This game looks cool as gently caress. And priced TO MOVE!

Reading the wiki, is the Astral is the best carrier-type ship correct? So that'd be what I'd want if I want to pretend to be a bigass aircraft carrier?

Generally the carrier ships themselves are boring to fly as they lack good armaments, speed or tank, the exception being the hightech oddyssey ship which is not a dedicated carrier but has flight decks and enough firepower + tank to ruin a fleet by itself.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

kloa posted:

why can't they just include the required mods?? :eyepop:

It would simply not be as easy to make a mod if one had to bundle the programming heavy accessory mods with your own faction mod that currently requires no real programming knowledge to make.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So anyway, is there any easy way to generate supplies or fuel? Or do you just have to buy them at ports?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Friendly Tumour posted:

So anyway, is there any easy way to generate supplies or fuel? Or do you just have to buy them at ports?

I usually have more than I'll ever need if I'm pirate hunting in a system for a while. Remember that it's only used to travel between systems.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Friendly Tumour posted:

You can either buy them from ports, or loot them from the shattered husks of your enemies. No way to generate them. Of course, both supplies and fuel are subject to price changes like every other commodity, meaning you can search out a good price and buy low (or find a supertanker/superfreighter to kill and pillage), and then either sell high somewhere else or stash them for use later.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dis astranagant posted:

I usually have more than I'll ever need if I'm pirate hunting in a system for a while. Remember that it's only used to travel between systems.

Yeah but what if I still want to land on pirate worlds?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Friendly Tumour posted:

Then never chase down pirates and pirate noncombatants looking to flee. That's the only thing that'll push you over -75 rep, which still lets you trade with them.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Friendly Tumour posted:

Hunt other factions then, currently there is no real way to get supplies without buying them from a faction or raiding someone´s supply fleet, and if you raid you will piss off at least one faction. However, in the Nexerelin mod where you play faction domination mode you can mine supplies I think.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So has the dev laid out his long long term plans? Will there be politics and player-built stuff? Mine asteroids, build bases, align with and help certain factions take ground ?

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

So has the dev laid out his long long term plans? Will there be politics and player-built stuff? Mine asteroids, build bases, align with and help certain factions take ground ?

Yes

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to restore rep with pirates?

I want to explore their markets now I have a small sum of money to my name, but I also want to slaughter them mercilessly.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you're playing with the Templars on, fighting them during a Crusade will raise your rep with the pirates by some amount if there's a pirate base in the system.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tarezax posted:

If you're playing with the Templars on, fighting them during a Crusade will raise your rep with the pirates by some amount if there's a pirate base in the system.

Which mod is this?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Which mod is this?

"The Knights Templar" mod, adds an OP as hell faction with lots of custom mechanics and scripting, meant to act as a boss type faction.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Saw one of the mods, Project Ironclads, adds alien flies out in space too that act as bigass ships. Goofy looking, but not in a "Haha how retarded" but "Oh wow, that looks like an arcade shooter boss" way.

Kinda a neat setting too, with modern nations/alliances ~BUT IN SPACE!!!~.

The faux-Asian ship designs are lol though.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 18, 2015

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I haven't played in a few versions, but Ironclads is actually a pretty cool mod. The Chinese ships are pretty goofy, yeah, but the core American and Soviet factions are cool as hell and fun to fly around with. I never really messed with the NATO guys though.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Haven't really taken that close a look at Ironclad before, but looking at their name for the Chinese empire...well, it could be something else, since Chinese is basically a language composed of puns and pingyin is phonetic, but it looks like the name could translate into "New Old Empire."

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I tried Ironclads, but it just didn't grab me. Every ship I managed to get had lovely shields (if they had them at all), boring weapons, and the only ship system I saw was flares. I'm sure there's cool stuff later, but gently caress slogging through early game to get them.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Post some loadouts, i actually sat down and played nexerelin today for the first time in ages

This is basically how to make a Pirate Valkyrie IV in SS

mantis + 10 technology + sledge guns/cannon and all the speed and range :barf:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
How do I stop SS+ from corrupting my save games every time it crashes? I've lost 2 days worth of progress now :argh:

Do I have to just make save copies instead of regular saves? This is pissing me off to the point where I'm just gonna cheat myself 500k credits and 15 levels worth of XP because gently caress doing all that grinding again.

My loadout was better before Java poo poo itself but I still got my frigate squad:

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 19, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Nice ship names.

I should name mine as well...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lprsti99 posted:

I tried Ironclads, but it just didn't grab me. Every ship I managed to get had lovely shields (if they had them at all), boring weapons, and the only ship system I saw was flares. I'm sure there's cool stuff later, but gently caress slogging through early game to get them.

It's very low tech, and if you're not in the military you can't buy anything but kinetic slugger guns and civvy ships.

I kind of like that idea but it is very different from normal starsector.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
My level 50~ save corrupted last night, so I'm restarting as Tri-Tach to try and buddy up with the Interstellar Imperium, but there is trouble.

How do you start out successfully in Magec? There are only large pirate fleets as far as I can see, so should I sleuth my way over to Corvus anyway and just kill pirates and sell to the Asharu independents?

I've never really tried to commit to a non-Hegemony game before, so I am lost as hell.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Post some loadouts, i actually sat down and played nexerelin today for the first time in ages

This is basically how to make a Pirate Valkyrie IV in SS

mantis + 10 technology + sledge guns/cannon and all the speed and range :barf:
Needs ionic particle cannons. :spergin:

Joyeuse, SHI space shotguns, and some Valk PD.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

McGiggins posted:

My level 50~ save corrupted last night, so I'm restarting as Tri-Tach to try and buddy up with the Interstellar Imperium, but there is trouble.

How do you start out successfully in Magec? There are only large pirate fleets as far as I can see, so should I sleuth my way over to Corvus anyway and just kill pirates and sell to the Asharu independents?

I've never really tried to commit to a non-Hegemony game before, so I am lost as hell.

Go to Rama, there's Hegemony/BDY fleets there and a Tri-Tach base. Kill Hegemony/BDY ships freely. Hit up Thracia/Corsica and kill fleets hostile to the Imperium as well.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I kinda want to take the star sector plus mod with all the recommended mods and rebalance some systems.

Some are too big, or don't have enough different factions in them. I know people like home worlds, but I think at the least it should be two weak factions and one strong faction in a system.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Okay, thanks, I was looking for alternate Tri-Tach places, never bothered to note them before.

Also, Wolf [I] is the best thing.

Still hoping to run into some [U] stuff at some point though.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Third World Reggin posted:

I kinda want to take the star sector plus mod with all the recommended mods and rebalance some systems.

Some are too big, or don't have enough different factions in them. I know people like home worlds, but I think at the least it should be two weak factions and one strong faction in a system.

TT bases are almost NEVER near a jump point :argh:

McGiggins posted:

Still hoping to run into some [U] stuff at some point though.

Sunder [U] is overrated, its about as good as the regular one just with small energy instead of ballistic slots. If you snag one, cool but don't stress over it.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I looked into the stats, and you're right about the Sunder [U]. :(

I'm trying to base up at Byzantium, but that 500,000 credit storage price is insane!

Also, for those interested, it seems that as the game progresses, Byzantium ends up with a mass of super cheap supplies and fuel around the 45 and 30 credit marks respectively.

Seems to be a result of being dead centre in the map as well as trading with most folks.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Tanith posted:

Needs ionic particle cannons. :spergin:

Joyeuse, SHI space shotguns, and some Valk PD.

Noice. I wonder what a fleet with like 5 joyeuse sunders would be like. Probably a lot of crossfire friendly fire incidents. Or the AI not firing at all out of fear.

Random variant generator made this pretty respectable karkinos, has enough Achilles to straight up kill frigates with front shields

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

So I got the game. It looks promising but I got stuck in the tutorial, unable to finish because my 'fast loader' or whatnot was broken and i could not activate it. Is the solution just to go through the tutorial faster before poo poo starts to break down at every keypress?

Also . reading about the corrupted saves you guys get... Has anyone tried syncing the save folder to SugarSync, Dropbox or alike? If you particular flavor of online storage supports file versioning, you would always have a backup of your saves and would lose at most, one night's worth of gameplay.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

SirTagz posted:

So I got the game. It looks promising but I got stuck in the tutorial, unable to finish because my 'fast loader' or whatnot was broken and i could not activate it. Is the solution just to go through the tutorial faster before poo poo starts to break down at every keypress?

Also . reading about the corrupted saves you guys get... Has anyone tried syncing the save folder to SugarSync, Dropbox or alike? If you particular flavor of online storage supports file versioning, you would always have a backup of your saves and would lose at most, one night's worth of gameplay.

Tutorial is worthless, just jump into the game. Protip, hold shift while aiming a mouse at something and you'll automatically orient to it.

You can make save copies in game. It's when the game is in the process of saving it crashes if you got a lot of mods going on.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
The tutorial is far from worthless, this game actually has a pretty good tutorial that does an effective job of explaining the unique combat systems.

You start with six minutes of peak effectiveness time before your ship even starts to have malfunctions, so it's not like it's trying to rush you or anything. If you want to take longer than that to mess around, yes, just go through the parts you've already gotten comfortable with faster.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minarchist posted:

Tutorial is worthless, just jump into the game. Protip, hold shift while aiming a mouse at something and you'll automatically orient to it.

You can make save copies in game. It's when the game is in the process of saving it crashes if you got a lot of mods going on.

Rebind it to caps lock and save yourself lot of hand ache.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

oohhboy posted:

Rebind it to caps lock and save yourself lot of hand ache.

Toggle it to always on and use shift for when you don't want to auto-orient.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Autopulse cannon and dual pulse laser Sunder is a loving monster. :stare:

Goddamn, who even wants a blaster sunder?

Edit: Fatal: Java Heap Space.

Why does that keep happening and corrupting my saves?

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726.0

You need to swap to 64 bit JRE and allocate more memory.