Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

banana allergy posted:

Apple is repairing the cameras on these phones only. They're not replacing the phones.

Since when has Apple ever only repaired parts in phones except for the screen? They're going to hand you a refurb'd unit.

I wish there were example photos of what this issue looks like. Are we talking like vaseline blurry or just not as sharp as it could be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pissingintowind posted:

Does Apple warranty their repairs?

My mom had her old iPhone 5 screen replaced at an Apple Store (she paid for it), and a few months later, the screen is popping off the phone.

Yes but it's like 90 days from the repair so she might be SOL.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

~Coxy posted:

Yes but it's like 90 days from the repair so she might be SOL.

Man, that's pretty lovely. You'd think that a repair should be "good as new" and get the full year...

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Pissingintowind posted:

Man, that's pretty lovely. You'd think that a repair should be "good as new" and get the full year...

If you have the time it's always possible to try at a Genius Bar, but yeah I think 90 days or remainder of the regular warranty are the terms.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I'm planning on getting a replacement 6 for a shifted front-facing camera soon. My stock warranty expires in December. I wonder if I'll get a new year-long warranty for the replacement phone. Also wonder if I will have a chance to re-purchase AC+ which I declined at original purchase.

My guess is the answer to both of my questions is no.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Since when has Apple ever only repaired parts in phones except for the screen? They're going to hand you a refurb'd unit.

I wish there were example photos of what this issue looks like. Are we talking like vaseline blurry or just not as sharp as it could be?

As someone who performs these repairs every day, they aren't going to hand you another phone unless they find something else wrong with the device. The cameras get replaced.

Michael Scott posted:

My guess is the answer to both of my questions is no.

Most likely no and definitely no. Lately I've seen a few replacements get all new warranties, but it's usually for a majorly faulty phone and after the customer raises a stink. Typically, it's either the remainder of the existing warranty or 90 days, whichever is longer.

I've never seen the option for Applecare come up on a replacement device.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 24, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That said, if the replacement screen is literally popping out from the rest of the phone and shows no signs of being dropped they might make an exception?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

~Coxy posted:

That said, if the replacement screen is literally popping out from the rest of the phone and shows no signs of being dropped they might make an exception?

Yes, there's a good chance an exception would be made in that case.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

For a few years now. Even the 5C can have a modular camera repair done.

It looks like vaseline blurry. If you're nearsighted at all it's like the camera needs glasses.

~Coxy posted:

Could be a swollen battery.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

banana allergy posted:

Could be a swollen battery.

drat, I can't believe I didn't think about that when I first saw that post. Yeah, it probably is a swollen battery.

Unless it's a 5C, you don't see that happen too often, unless it's a third-party display. If it truly hasn't been dropped, it was either installed wrong, defective from the factory, or more than likely, a swollen battery.

E: the two screws are in the bottom, right?

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 24, 2015

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

empty baggie posted:

I've never seen the option for Applecare come up on a replacement device.

Up until a few years ago they gave customers the option to add Applecare+ on the first case of accidental damage. It would use the first case. This was when a replacement iPhone 5 was $229 instead of $269 as well.

Since when has Apple ever only repaired parts in phones except for the screen?

Early 2013, in fact.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

Up until a few years ago they gave customers the option to add Applecare+ on the first case of accidental damage. It would use the first case. This was when a replacement iPhone 5 was $229 instead of $269 as well.

I vaguely remember a few years ago when there would be a button in GSX that would give you that option, but out store had just started handling iPhone repairs, and I think upper management told us to just ignore it for the time being. Then it just went away for the most part and the subject never came up again.

It has been just in the past two months that I've seen warranty extensions. The few that I've seen were always preceded by the customer calling Apple and making a fuss. Don't remember ever seeing that happen before tho.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 24, 2015

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

empty baggie posted:

drat, I can't believe I didn't think about that when I first saw that post. Yeah, it probably is a swollen battery.

Of course it's the battery, it's an iPhone 5! :boom:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Isn't there an out of warranty battery swap program on the 5?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

MrBond posted:

Isn't there an out of warranty battery swap program on the 5?

Yes.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
How can you see how big your iCloud backup is? I don't want to back up my photos (and I have turned that off in the iCloud settings), but I still get a warning every time I plug my phone in that I need to upgrade my storage.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Eight Is Legend posted:

How can you see how big your iCloud backup is? I don't want to back up my photos (and I have turned that off in the iCloud settings), but I still get a warning every time I plug my phone in that I need to upgrade my storage.

On phone; Settings > General > Usage

I had the same issue, it won't delete the photos it had uploaded before you changed the option but you can do it from the menu

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

On phone; Settings > General > Usage

I had the same issue, it won't delete the photos it had uploaded before you changed the option but you can do it from the menu

Thank yoooou :)

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Since the iPod thread is dead, I figured I should ask here: I have a 5th gen iPod touch that won't charge any longer; the data connection still works and the lightning symbol shows up to indicate that it's charging, but the battery never actually charges and I've pretty much exhausted troubleshooting trying to get this to work. I'm out of warranty by about 2 years, is there any point in taking it to the Apple store for repair, or should I just start saving up for a new one?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

plainswalker75 posted:

Since the iPod thread is dead, I figured I should ask here: I have a 5th gen iPod touch that won't charge any longer; the data connection still works and the lightning symbol shows up to indicate that it's charging, but the battery never actually charges and I've pretty much exhausted troubleshooting trying to get this to work. I'm out of warranty by about 2 years, is there any point in taking it to the Apple store for repair, or should I just start saving up for a new one?

IIRC the newest iPod is like an iPhone 6 in iPod shape, so it's way faster than what you have. Might be worth getting a new one.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So iTunes is once again giving me syncing problems and I'm wondering if anyone knows what's going on.

Last night I got some new music on iTunes and added it to my library. I connected my iPhone 5s and tried to sync the new music to it but it didn't add to the phone's library, despite being in iTunes with 'sync all music' as the default setting. Earlier today I tried again and it didn't work. I googled some troubleshooting options and performed one where I unchecked 'sync all music' (which is supposed to delete all music) and then checked it again which would supposedly fix it. Now my phone has no music. Nothing was deleted from the iTunes library and it all plays on it. Also, all of my music is still listed on my phone but when I tap a song to play there's no audio file. It's like iTunes can't add my music library but can easily delete it. When I sync it, and I pay attention to the bar with the data amounts, it shows the audio GBs rising, but when the syncing is finished it reverts back to having 0.

Im running iOS 8.3.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

plainswalker75 posted:

You'd be best off looking at iFixit for a battery replacement guide. I can't imagine it to cost more than $40 and an hour of your time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Shneak posted:

So iTunes is once again giving me syncing problems and I'm wondering if anyone knows what's going on.

Last night I got some new music on iTunes and added it to my library. I connected my iPhone 5s and tried to sync the new music to it but it didn't add to the phone's library, despite being in iTunes with 'sync all music' as the default setting. Earlier today I tried again and it didn't work. I googled some troubleshooting options and performed one where I unchecked 'sync all music' (which is supposed to delete all music) and then checked it again which would supposedly fix it. Now my phone has no music. Nothing was deleted from the iTunes library and it all plays on it. Also, all of my music is still listed on my phone but when I tap a song to play there's no audio file. It's like iTunes can't add my music library but can easily delete it. When I sync it, and I pay attention to the bar with the data amounts, it shows the audio GBs rising, but when the syncing is finished it reverts back to having 0.

Im running iOS 8.3.

This is gonna sound stupid, but have you turned your phone off and then back on? This resolves a lot of syncing issues I have when I have them.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Rick posted:

This is gonna sound stupid, but have you turned your phone off and then back on? This resolves a lot of syncing issues I have when I have them.

I'm going to look stupid but it worked. Thanks. :shepface:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember reading a while back that Apple was willing to replace your iPhone if you had a misaligned front-facing camera.

Is that still the case, and is that what's happening to me?

Yeast posted:

The FaceTime camera part was replaced early this year with a new component, replacements have a bluer' hue to them. They don't seem to shift.

Source: I was an Apple Technician.
As a follow-up, I had my Genius Bar appointment yesterday (for an unrelated issue) and they replaced my screen while I browsed Macy's. The replacement camera does have a blue hue but that obviously doesn't affect the photos themselves.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Hamburlgar posted:

You'd be best off looking at iFixit for a battery replacement guide. I can't imagine it to cost more than $40 and an hour of your time.

Replacing the battery myself looks like it would be really complicated and require several tools (and skills) I don't currently have. I guess I'll sell this one on ebay and put the money towards buying a new one.

MrBond posted:

IIRC the newest iPod is like an iPhone 6 in iPod shape, so it's way faster than what you have. Might be worth getting a new one.

Thanks!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Shneak posted:

I'm going to look stupid but it worked. Thanks. :shepface:

Don't feel bad, I did about a million troubleshooting things before trying that the first time and felt really dumb.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

plainswalker75 posted:

Replacing the battery myself looks like it would be really complicated and require several tools (and skills) I don't currently have. I guess I'll sell this one on ebay and put the money towards buying a new one.

Yeah I didn't look it up until you mentioned it but it doesn't sound like the ipod touch lends itself to battery repair like some phones and other iPods:

quote:

The logic board, front-facing camera, battery, Lightning connector, headphone jack, speaker, and home button are all soldered together to form a single conglomerate.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPod+Touch+5th+Generation+16+GB+2014+Teardown/26806

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So the base model iPhone has had 16GB of storage upon launch since what, the 4S? That's four generations of hardware without an upgrade to the base model storage capacity. What are the chances the 6S gets a bump finally this September? Or do they like holding down the storage on the cheapest model in order to incentivize people to pay another $100 for more space?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

bawfuls posted:

So the base model iPhone has had 16GB of storage upon launch since what, the 4S? That's four generations of hardware without an upgrade to the base model storage capacity. What are the chances the 6S gets a bump finally this September? Or do they like holding down the storage on the cheapest model in order to incentivize people to pay another $100 for more space?

You answered your own question. There's a reason that Apple's profit margins are ginormous (40%) well above and beyond the competition. For comparison, Samsung's is 10-20%.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

bawfuls posted:

16GB has an entirely valid use case. For people who stream music and don't download many apps, and especially for corporate markets where the entire phone is locked down anyways, 16 gigs is plenty.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My iPhone has a lovely behavior that I'm pretty sure earlier versions of the OS didn't have.

I used to be able to pull up from the bottom with no music in memory, press play, and it would start a shuffle playlist. Now all it does is its dinky "you touched me!" animation when nothing's in memory to play.

I have to go home, go to Music, and press play on my recently played song which the music app had cached somewhere I guess.

That's dumb. That's all.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, sometimes that function still works for me but most of the time it doesn't, I guess it has something to do with the app being in memory or not.

I thought it would be an easy workaround to start shuffling all songs, since the stupid new music app doesn't have a simple way to do it. I remember someone mentioning that in iOS 9 betas they had added that back in, I hope so.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

You answered your own question. There's a reason that Apple's profit margins are ginormous (40%) well above and beyond the competition. For comparison, Samsung's is 10-20%.

To be fair, Samsung also has a much wider range of phones that they sell and many of which are at lower price points with little to no margin. It wouldn't surprise me if their flagships like S6 and Notes have iPhone-like margins.

It's definitely some kind of price margin game though. There's probably a lot of phones sold as corporate-only or streaming-everything customers where they don't mind 16GB though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MrBond posted:

To be fair, Samsung also has a much wider range of phones that they sell and many of which are at lower price points with little to no margin. It wouldn't surprise me if their flagships like S6 and Notes have iPhone-like margins.

It's definitely some kind of price margin game though. There's probably a lot of phones sold as corporate-only or streaming-everything customers where they don't mind 16GB though.
Yeah, I would still be on 16GB if not for shooting so many cat videos.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yeah, sometimes that function still works for me but most of the time it doesn't, I guess it has something to do with the app being in memory or not.

I thought it would be an easy workaround to start shuffling all songs, since the stupid new music app doesn't have a simple way to do it. I remember someone mentioning that in iOS 9 betas they had added that back in, I hope so.

On the upside, they made it so choosing an artist shows you albums by that artist instead of songs grouped by album. Nice for when you have dozens of albums by a single artist, and I missed it since iOS 6.

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

It's worth noting that, at least in my case, Apple did a free swap for my iPhone 5's swollen battery despite its serial not being on that list, long after the original warranty expired.

YMMV, obviously, but the fire generating nature of swollen lithium ion batteries presumably gives the Genius Bar people extra leeway to help you out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

POCKET CHOMP posted:

They do, the new version of Music in iOS 9 will have a "Shuffle all" button at the top of the app. Looks a little out of place, but there it is.

(not my image lol Jim Gaffigan)

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I was on vacation the last few days and took a few hours of video on a GoPro camera, then exported to my Mac with the photos app. This kinda screwed up my icloud because it automatically tried to upload all the video and used all my space. I don't need or want these videos in the cloud so how can I delete them from iCloud without losing them from the Mac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

nickutz posted:

I was on vacation the last few days and took a few hours of video on a GoPro camera, then exported to my Mac with the photos app. This kinda screwed up my icloud because it automatically tried to upload all the video and used all my space. I don't need or want these videos in the cloud so how can I delete them from iCloud without losing them from the Mac?

Copy or export movies to desktop and then delete the ones in the photos app?