Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amell previews his ring wear for Sunday.
https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/videos/909280462490555/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The Flash as a show was fine with Iris in the dark, but Iris was a huge weak point in the show to the point that a large part of the audience, as well as the people working on the show all felt the same way. I think even her actor spoke on it to some degree.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Iris got almost all of the required CW-drama (at least half a Supernatural is standard in CW contracts, though Arrow got assigned extra), leaving everyone else to be happy and dorky.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Iris got almost all of the required CW-drama (at least half a Supernatural is standard in CW contracts, though Arrow got assigned extra), leaving everyone else to be happy and dorky.

The good news for Arrow is that the writers and producers recognize that last season was a bit too emo and they are not just letting the show be lighter, they are letting Felicity return to her position as comedic relief within the main cast.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dacap posted:

The new Flash costume for season 2 looks way better than the season 1 suit. This is movie quality.

That looks like poo poo, mate.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah if anyone put that in a movie it would be ridiculed for decades

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's literally the Reverse Flash costume photoshopped red, so it isn't like some weird new design. I don't remember people making GBS threads all over the reverse suit. I thought it was a confirmed fake picture anyway, who cares?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBah_uo9rY0

Have the TV Joker I guess :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oh poo poo, our ratings were okay, but the critical and fan response was terrible, I know, lets put the character that has an insane and annoying fanbase in the show even though we said that we weren't going to reveal the joker!

I like the Joker, he's one of the most interesting villains because he doesn't have a set character, he is pretty much a sandbox of writing. You can write him stealing Christmas and pranking the cops while he robs a bank to gassing the entire audience on a talk show and running through the streets with a submachine gun taking out random civilians and its still not go outside of the parameters of the character. But Joker fans have a specific verison in their heads, which seems these days to be the Health Ledger Joker, and don't want to see anything but their idealized version.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So the Joker is just gonna be the Joker before he is the "Joker". How boring.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I've only watched the first episode and now my girlfriend wants to watch it all, can we get enjoyment out of it? Does it turn out alight?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am so sick of the Joker, this probably annihilated any lingering interest I might have had in this show.

ToastyPotato posted:

So the Joker is just gonna be the Joker before he is the "Joker". How boring.

I don't wanna act like Killing Joke is the only way to do it, but even the oldest takes on the character have him be kind of a normal-ish criminal before the chemical transformation makes him lose his grip on reality.

Hell, even the 89 movie had him just be a ruthless hitman before he got Jokerized. Making him basically be 95% of the way to Joker even before he takes the acid bath seems like missing the point.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Missing the point seems to be an active stylistic choice in 'Gotham'

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well, at least we'll finally find out how he got those scars

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

I've only watched the first episode and now my girlfriend wants to watch it all, can we get enjoyment out of it? Does it turn out alight?

Its okay, just be aware that the plot is kind of all over the place because they couldn't plan the season out ahead of time since Fox kept telling them to make more episodes. This is none more evident than late in the season when they spend an inordinate amount of time on a completely unconnected to everyone else subplot involving Fish, even when they knew Jada wouldn't be back for season 2. They also aren't sure what to do with some of the side characters, like Montoya and Allen who just kind of vanish partway through the season.

There's still some good poo poo though, the episode about the Red Hood Gang, anything involving the Penguin or Nygma and Gordon starts getting better once he loses the optimism and kind of realizes that while he wants to still be a good man, Gotham won't accept that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

omg chael crash posted:

They have trouble finding the line they want to walk between "serious cop drama" and "1960s Batman." For example Fish spends her early screentime trying to be Eartha Kitt and it just doesn't work. Most of the characters find their stride though, and as long as you aren't expecting something marvelous it's pretty watchable. Penguin's the star of the show, and Bruce finds a balance between "traumatized kid" and "methodical future Batman detective". Just every once in a while you get a scene that doesn't mesh with the rest of the show (and isn't supposed to be discordant) and there's one of the early episodes where it felt like two different writers were alternating scene and trying to force the show into gritty or camp.

All in all it was enough to get me to give it a chance next season, but it's not one I'm making my calender for.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wow, this is one of the worst trailers for anything I've seen in a long-rear end time. Makes the show look like total garbage.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
The only nice thing I can say about Gotham is that it spured me to finally read Gotham Central. Gotham Central is outstanding, so thank you Gotham? :shrug:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
As long as they see it through and we get to see Batman beat the poo poo out of old people when he grows up it'll be a masterpiece.

"Riddle me this Batman! Why don't my gandkids visit anymore?"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What accent is the cop dad supposed to have in arrow?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Paul Blackthorne's a Brit so he's doing generic American.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

What accent is the cop dad supposed to have in arrow?

Generic North Eastern? It's like a generic amalgamation of Irish and Italian American accents (not taken to cartoonish extremes.) Which is basically perfect for a big city cop from a fake big city.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
But neither of his daughters sound like him nor does anyone else in Starling. It's so weird yet I loving love it. Seriously Paul Blackthorne can chew all the scenery he wants I love Detective Captain Lance.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Proinsias Cassidy, a man whose haircut is by far the scariest thing about him.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I think Rudy looks the part perfectly. I can't imagine this actually being good, but I'm still looking forward t it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TwoPair posted:

But neither of his daughters sound like him nor does anyone else in Starling. It's so weird yet I loving love it. Seriously Paul Blackthorne can chew all the scenery he wants I love Detective Captain Lance.

Their mom is Brittish so it all canceled out.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mortanis posted:

I think Rudy looks the part perfectly. I can't imagine this actually being good, but I'm still looking forward t it.

Same.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always felt Lance was trying to do a Pittsburgh accent.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

No and no.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mortanis posted:

It really is a great bit of casting.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Ugh, why so serial?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Holy poo poo the price tag on Brandon Routh's Atom Costume
:stare:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

There should be no way in hell it costs that much to replicate the suit should it be damaged. I can see it costing that much with the design process included, since there might have been revisions made and you are paying the designer Hollywood rates.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
They should have just gone the spandex route.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Since I think I'm like the one guy in BSS who doesn't also watch WWE, can somebody fill me in on how Amell did at his wrasslin' match?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Since I think I'm like the one guy in BSS who doesn't also watch WWE, can somebody fill me in on how Amell did at his wrasslin' match?

I saw a gif of him doing a dive tackle off of the top rope onto a guy who was standing outside of the ring, which is not something I would have expected a celebrity guest to risk doing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Tag matches in wrestling usually go like this:

Good guys get a few good hits in
Bad guys cheat and stop the hero offense
Bad guys beat on one guy for a while (the in peril role)
The good guy finally manages to land a big hit on an opponent and makes the big tag to his partner who cleans house

Amell played the in peril role, which is pretty crazy for a celebrity because he's the guy who spends the entire match getting his rear end kicked. He took a few big slams, and plenty of kicks and punches. It wasn't a long match but Amell took a good 5 minutes getting beat on.

His team won after he took out Stardust with the top rope dive, and his partner hit his big flying move on the other guy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Tag matches in wrestling usually go like this:

Good guys get a few good hits in
Bad guys cheat and stop the hero offense
Bad guys beat on one guy for a while (the in peril role)
The good guy finally manages to land a big hit on an opponent and makes the big tag to his partner who cleans house

Amell played the in peril role, which is pretty crazy for a celebrity because he's the guy who spends the entire match getting his rear end kicked. He took a few big slams, and plenty of kicks and punches. It wasn't a long match but Amell took a good 5 minutes getting beat on.

His team won after he took out Stardust with the top rope dive, and his partner hit his big flying move on the other guy.

Is it on youtube yet? I'm honestly not going to pay to see summer slam if I only care about fiveish minutes of it, but I do want to see that.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Is it on youtube yet? I'm honestly not going to pay to see summer slam if I only care about fiveish minutes of it, but I do want to see that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOa0A_iCnk

poo poo quality and no sound from the match, but you do get the bonus of seeing what a Russian stream looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

WWE is pretty good about keeping their content off YouTube (unless they upload it, of course), especially current PPV content. It might show up like Vimeo or DailyMotion or somewhere that's less stringent than YouTube. Or you can just wait for the next free month of the Network, which tend to come every three months or so.

EDIT: Never mind, I guess. They're good at keeping good quality off, though! Seeing a screen grab of a pirate stream is kind of funny, though.