Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Staying long on DIS, NFLX, and NVDA still.

Was looking pretty dicey today but I'm still fine with keeping my positions in these.

i have no idea wat im doin

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008
I'm deciding whether I should buy stocks or buy a motorcycle.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

I just want to hear what the fed says about rates.

What the gently caress are you on about?
It's a lovely Jew joke.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

dogpower posted:

I'm deciding whether I should buy stocks or buy a motorcycle.

harleys appreciate in value like wranglers right. makes sense buy buy buy.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Muh gains!! :qq::hf::shepspends:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
who wants to play the 'I've lost more than you in unrealized gains over the past three weeks' game?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

mindphlux posted:

who wants to play the 'I've lost more than you in unrealized gains over the past three weeks' game?

I think it would have to be percentage based because there's no way I could play with the big kids..

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is now a good time to buy 20 shares each of NFLX and AAPL just to see what happens with them, purely as a gamble for now but to hold long if things do good?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MJP posted:

Is now a good time to buy 20 shares each of NFLX and AAPL just to see what happens with them, purely as a gamble for now but to hold long if things do good?

Follow your heart

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay, why the hell not. I'm prepared to take modest hits to the principal and if there's a time to buy stuff, this is probably it. 30 shares of CRM, too - those ain't going anywhere and even if China's middle class growth is stymied, the rest of the world buys Iphones, Salesforce has no real competition, and Netflix is Netflix.

:breathesintobag:

MJP fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 25, 2015

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

MJP posted:

Okay, why the hell not. I'm prepared to take modest hits to the principal and if there's a time to buy stuff, this is probably it. 30 shares of CRM, too - those ain't going anywhere and even if China's middle class growth is stymied, the rest of the world buys Iphones, Salesforce has no real competition, and Netflix is Netflix.

:breathesintobag:

You sound like a person who should just buy shares in a vanguard index or balanced fund and forget about it for 30 years.

Interest rate hikes, yea or nay by the end of the year?

jaik3n
Sep 18, 2009

Erdricks posted:

You sound like a person who should just buy shares in a vanguard index or balanced fund and forget about it for 30 years.

what's the expected return on something like that?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Erdricks posted:

That's how I'm running mine and my wife's IRA. We're already basically covering all the advice of the long-term/retirement thread for the vast majority of both the IRA/retirement account and brokerage account. IRAs are maxed every year, 10% to the 401k, $250/mo automatically going into VFORX. This purchase is a pure gamble. Like I mentioned, I'm willing to take hits to the principal on this trade only.

But in general, yes, I am not doing active investing. Given the drop it seems like I'd be missing out if I didn't take a shot at decent stocks now.

How long should a market order placed before 9 AM take to execute? Vanguard's still showing my orders as open. Is it just a huge flood of buy orders delaying things on the market?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So a question on selling "the next day"

Yesterday both my orders for DIS and NFLX filled for 50 shares each for $97.xx on Fidelity.

I have always bought and held stock for quite some time but this morning looks like DIS is going to open for over $100, NFLX over $106.

If I sold today, after buying today, what would that affect per "settlement" dates. I still have over $17,000 cash in the account at this time. Wondering if Ill get flagged for something because of not waiting for 3 days before selling.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

MJP - If you are blowing into a bag over 20 shares of netflix, just use the money to go to vegas and have fun gambling that way. It'll be easier on your stress levels and your marriage.

Active trading is for entertainment / pure greed purposes only. It should come with warning labels. If you need something to do, just construct a portfolio using fake money first, see how you like it, and if you do, move into real dollaz and start selling puts on aapl to your heart's content.

Erdricks fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 25, 2015

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

MJP posted:

That's how I'm running mine and my wife's IRA. We're already basically covering all the advice of the long-term/retirement thread for the vast majority of both the IRA/retirement account and brokerage account. IRAs are maxed every year, 10% to the 401k, $250/mo automatically going into VFORX. This purchase is a pure gamble. Like I mentioned, I'm willing to take hits to the principal on this trade only.

But in general, yes, I am not doing active investing. Given the drop it seems like I'd be missing out if I didn't take a shot at decent stocks now.

How long should a market order placed before 9 AM take to execute? Vanguard's still showing my orders as open. Is it just a huge flood of buy orders delaying things on the market?

Best time to buy was yesterday. Your market order will be in a queue behind other market orders that will be filled at 9:30. It'll probably execute higher than the prices displayed when you placed, because of the buying orgy ahead of you.

MrBigglesworth posted:

So a question on selling "the next day"

Yesterday both my orders for DIS and NFLX filled for 50 shares each for $97.xx on Fidelity.

I have always bought and held stock for quite some time but this morning looks like DIS is going to open for over $100, NFLX over $106.

If I sold today, after buying today, what would that affect per "settlement" dates. I still have over $17,000 cash in the account at this time. Wondering if Ill get flagged for something because of not waiting for 3 days before selling.

If you bought yesterday they shouldn't count as intraday trades, because you held them overnight. You get to make 3 intraday trades while holding less than $25k cash without SEC flagging. The 4th locks your account until you get to $25k in the account or 90 days pass.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Erdricks posted:

If you are blowing into a bag over 20 shares of netflix, just use the money to go to vegas and have fun gambling that way. It'll be easier on your stress levels and your marriage.

Active trading is for entertainment / pure greed purposes only. It should come with warning labels. If you need something to do, just construct a portfolio using fake money first, see how you like it, and if you do, move into real dollaz and start selling puts on aapl to your heart's content.

Who the gently caress said I was stressed? I just have a question on selling so soon after buying, not the same day, but just the next. Ive never had a notion to want to sell so fast is all.

Edit= Thanks Dwight Eisenhower!

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

My response was to MJP. Just replied instead of quoting but then your post came in the middle

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Ah, sorry. Lotta focus on NFLX!

jaik3n
Sep 18, 2009
So I'm in for DIS.
Time to watch my money evaporate.
(I'm mostly in for the long haul, it seems like a decent sale right now)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Best time to buy was yesterday. Your market order will be in a queue behind other market orders that will be filled at 9:30. It'll probably execute higher than the prices displayed when you placed, because of the buying orgy ahead of you.

Yeah, I'm seeing them execute now. I got AAPL at $111.07, NFLX at $107.88, CRM at $67 even.

Given the recent drops it still seems like these are decent entry points, but this could also be confirmation bias. I'm prepared to take hits on them but I plan on monitoring them over time to see what happens.

Fortunately for my stress level, literally every other holding save for 120 shares of PRU that were gifted to me are in ETFs that bracket several different Morningstar quadrants and Vanguard index/target date funds. Rest assured, I'm treating this as a gamble, and a risky one, but one worth taking a shot at given the drop. Indeed I should have bought yesterday for the best bargains. At least I still have a bunch of free trades through Vanguard so this won't be too expensive.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

MJP posted:

Yeah, I'm seeing them execute now. I got AAPL at $111.07, NFLX at $107.88, CRM at $67 even.

Given the recent drops it still seems like these are decent entry points, but this could also be confirmation bias. I'm prepared to take hits on them but I plan on monitoring them over time to see what happens.

Fortunately for my stress level, literally every other holding save for 120 shares of PRU that were gifted to me are in ETFs that bracket several different Morningstar quadrants and Vanguard index/target date funds. Rest assured, I'm treating this as a gamble, and a risky one, but one worth taking a shot at given the drop. Indeed I should have bought yesterday for the best bargains. At least I still have a bunch of free trades through Vanguard so this won't be too expensive.

Don't sweat it and overthink it too much, you're in the positions now for good or for ill.

Figure out where you'll exit these trades. How much do you want to make off AAPL? 10%? 20? Place a limit order at this price so as soon as the market gets there you get while the getting is good. Noone ever went broke taking profits. How much can you stomach losing on your AAPL trade? 10%? 20? 30? Set a stop loss order at this price. You might lose a bit more than your threshold because a stop loss will execute at market and when you set it lower than the market price by a wide margin, it'll probably be dropping more by the time your stop is triggered.

Rinse, wash, and repeat for NFLX and CRM.

If your answer is you are willing to lose 100% on your trade, then you can let it ride and see where it takes you. Otherwise come up with these answers, place the closing orders GTC (good till canceled), and hope for the best.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Everybody is trying to fade this rally, which makes me think we've hit a bottom.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Somehow I think this is a bull trap, but on the other hand, I have no idea about anything and the market consistently moves the complete opposite of what I think.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Don't sweat it and overthink it too much, you're in the positions now for good or for ill.

Figure out where you'll exit these trades. How much do you want to make off AAPL? 10%? 20? Place a limit order at this price so as soon as the market gets there you get while the getting is good. Noone ever went broke taking profits. How much can you stomach losing on your AAPL trade? 10%? 20? 30? Set a stop loss order at this price. You might lose a bit more than your threshold because a stop loss will execute at market and when you set it lower than the market price by a wide margin, it'll probably be dropping more by the time your stop is triggered.

Rinse, wash, and repeat for NFLX and CRM.

If your answer is you are willing to lose 100% on your trade, then you can let it ride and see where it takes you. Otherwise come up with these answers, place the closing orders GTC (good till canceled), and hope for the best.

That's sage advice which I will definitely do.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Net cat - BTFD. As far as I am concerned, there is no real risk of a bear market until the fed raises interest rates, which in turn kills the corporate zombie/buyback market action. Just be sure to take profits while you can and wait for the next shakeout.

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008
To take a break from the bewilderment over the macro state of the market, today is not a good day for chicken:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sanderson-farms-results-disappoint-as-chicken-prices-slide-1440502928

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Planeshifter2 posted:

To take a break from the bewilderment over the macro state of the market, today is not a good day for chicken:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sanderson-farms-results-disappoint-as-chicken-prices-slide-1440502928

Somebody should go make an image macro for chicken.:p

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

It's a lovely Jew joke.

Oi Vey

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just got an e-mail from Schwab. Looks like they opened up a suicide hotline. :ohdear:

quote:

Our perspective on market events.
We're here to help.

When the market is volatile like it has been the last several days, it’s natural to feel some concern and have questions. We are here to help. If you have any questions about your portfolio or your financial plan, please call a Schwab investment professional 24/7 at 800-435-4000, or contact your Schwab Financial Consultant.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Again, a huge divergence between tech stocks and the rest of the market.

I think we will see some turmoil again, though lets see....

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Colonel Sanderson's Farms. Now it looks like an even better company to buy though. Those earnings are so cheap right now.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Keeping my eyes on YUM

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Sage advice from the WSJ:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The rally has been canceled; we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The rally has been canceled; we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

At least I made a paltry sum of money buying NFLX late yesterday and selling when it was about 9% up. :unsmith:

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Might finish in the red today. What a move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It's the kind of move that leads impatient bulls to despair.