Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Laserface posted:

Just wanted to let everyone know I was always lukewarm about Yob And then I saw them live last night and it's not only the best show I have ever been to, it has erased all other top shows from my life forever

Holy gently caress. I have never experienced anything like that in my life. Amazing. See them even if you don't like them. It was incredible. I cried.

:3: Yeah, I'm 100% with you on this. What songs did they play? Grasping Air literally changed my life when I saw them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Prepare the Ground
Burning the Altar
In Our Blood
Pain of I
Marrow
Adrift in the Ocean
Quantum Mystic

Encore:
Grasping Air

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Going to see Yob in brisbane tonight, really looking forward to it..

"Rounding out the tour on August 23 at Crowbar in Brisbane, support comes from Relapse Records signees Hope Drone, who’ll be riding the waves of newly released punishing long-player, Cloak of Ash. Opening hymns will be screamed by Queensland’s resident hypno-occultists Frown."

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Laserface posted:

Prepare the Ground
Burning the Altar
In Our Blood
Pain of I
Marrow
Adrift in the Ocean
Quantum Mystic

Encore:
Grasping Air

Holy poo poo that is a great setlist. I saw them with Enslaved and their setlist was In Our Blood, Nothing Left to Win, and Marrow. It ruled.

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 23, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Marrow and Adrift back to back loving ruined me. I could have left then and been totally happy.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I can't get over how good Marrow is. I just, jesus christ it's so good.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Does anyone have any opinions on decent ear plugs? my Etymotic ER-20s broke last night after 7 years of loyal service.

I was thinking of giving Happy Ears a try, as they look less likely to fail in the same way that my ER-20s did and reviews seem to suggest they are more comfortable.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

That makes me well pleased to hear as I am going to the Brisbane Yob show tonight. Hopefully they pull out all the stops for the final show of the tour.

EdIt: hey xutech if you see this seek me out. I'm the tall ranga in a Windhand shirt. Love to meet a fellow Brisbane goon

Visible Stink fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 23, 2015

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Laserface posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on decent ear plugs? my Etymotic ER-20s broke last night after 7 years of loyal service.

I was thinking of giving Happy Ears a try, as they look less likely to fail in the same way that my ER-20s did and reviews seem to suggest they are more comfortable.

I've been happy with the ER-20s and seven years of use for a £10 set of plugs isn't bad in my view! Still, I'd be interested to hear if you find something else that you prefer.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Laserface posted:

Prepare the Ground
Burning the Altar
In Our Blood
Pain of I
Marrow
Adrift in the Ocean
Quantum Mystic

Encore:
Grasping Air

Hah hooooooly poo poo that's probably the best set I've seen by Yob. That's like 2 hours of music right there. They did the same "open with Prepare, end with Grasping" set but since it was right before ATMA came out there wasn't the Ascend songs.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Seeing Acid King, YOB and Black Cobra and y'all are just hyping me up even more for that poo poo

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Laserface posted:

Prepare the Ground
Burning the Altar
In Our Blood
Pain of I
Marrow
Adrift in the Ocean
Quantum Mystic

Encore:
Grasping Air

Now that's a loving setlist. God drat.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I caught a High on Fire show over the weekend supporting their new album. Pallbearer was soooooooo drat good and it's a crime that I'm just now witnessing them live.

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
Just chiming in to reiterate the fantastic praise for the new Kadavar and Dead Lord releases that I've been reading about everywhere. Both are in-loving-credible albums.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Digging this right now. Sounds a bit like Anathema/old Paradise Lost:

https://caligarirecords.bandcamp.com/album/aphotic

Nothing groundbreaking, but it scratches a particular itch.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 24, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
"Aren't there enough bands in tune?" - King Buzzo in this interview I'm watching right now which was pretty funny

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

chunkles posted:

"Aren't there enough bands in tune?" - King Buzzo in this interview I'm watching right now which was pretty funny

He also said "aren't there enough great guitarists?" in another interview series. I love him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One of the funnier things Buzz ever did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFn1UUI6bj8

Tries to buy a house with street cred.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of the funnier things Buzz ever did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFn1UUI6bj8

Tries to buy a house with street cred.
lol

Also the new Hey Colossus was briefly streaming on their Bandcamp this morning, presumably by mistake. I had a listen before it was set to pre-order and it's good. One track is up on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/rocket-recordings/hey-colossus-hop-the-railings

More conventional song structures than In Black and Gold, with less repetition and (despite the album name) crazy noise and static. Just solid heavy grooves.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Got my tickets for the Kylesa/Inter Arma show October 8 and Ghost/Purson October 10 in Orlando!!! Gonna be solo, but it still should be fun. Can't wait, been awhile since I've gone to a show.

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 26, 2015

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I just got my copy of Ahab's The Boats of the Glen Carrig in the mail yesterday. It's beautiful and heavy. Makes me which I was floating adrift at sea.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Holy poo poo! New Hooded Menace in October!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk37hryJml8

Fuuuuuuck yes.:woop:

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 26, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just found I'm scheduled to work during Cult of Luna/Kylesa in order to get Labor Day off

fffffffffffffffff

seatbeltstrap
Nov 5, 2004

That bitch Carmen Sandiego's got nothing on me.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Sweet, I'm planning on going to Black Tusk, let's try to meet up for a bit, it will be kind of funny if it turns out we already know each other somehow, heh. I'm digging The Mothlight and The Odditorium as newish venues in town.

Dig, I'm down for that. It would be pretty hilarious if we know each other. Wouldn't be surprised if we have mutual friends, at least. I agree, they're good venues that have been having some bangin' shows lately. The Sword is coming to the peel on my birthday, too.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Did anyone post this when it came out at the beginning of the year? Some pretty good sludgy doom, got some Isis stuff going on.

https://vulturesofcult.bandcamp.com/album/bitter-gloom-on-a-golden-dawn

Check out their other stuff. The earlier stuff is fairly different, plus the Svrf EP is really good surf rock with a bit of an edge to it.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Kylesa released another new song a few days ago and it's once again kinda meh. They sound so uninspired.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Chromatic posted:

They sound so uninspired.

This but since Static Tensions

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

This but since Static Tensions

Static Tensions and Spiral Shadow are both great for me. I'd say Static Tensions is actually one of their better releases. Everything since has been bad though.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Static Tensions and Spiral Shadow are both great for me. I'd say Static Tensions is actually one of their better releases. Everything since has been bad though.

To walk a middle course and time will fuse it's worth are both great but imo the downhill started with Static Tensions. Still it's not a bad album and they were great live on the Static Tensions tour though.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

New Uncle Acid tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zDT_uGYdVs

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Chromatic posted:

Kylesa released another new song a few days ago and it's once again kinda meh. They sound so uninspired.

This makes me nervous to see them live, ugh. I was watching some of their live stuff on youtube from the past year. Running Red is one of my favorite songs, but Laura just doesn't seem into it when she's singing the heavy part (where is my matchmaker, tell me how to live my life…). I'm hoping it's not bland this time around.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
"Kylesa" sounds like an old-school username from like 2002

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Gave High Country a solid listen and it's better than I initially thought. Synths, lower gain, and short songs, yet there's still that distinctive "Sword" sound.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Thread title real good

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

nerve posted:

Thread title real good
I would love to see Om cover N.I.B.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Surprisingly the Sabbath covers Sleep recorded are both pretty dull.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of which, here's a good Om-alike that I'm enjoying the sound of so far, if you want more of that kind of thing: https://megaritual.bandcamp.com/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dyna Soar posted:

Surprisingly the Sabbath covers Sleep recorded are both pretty dull.

Aw, I always liked Lord of This World. The fake introduction and crowd noise is hilarious. I got that 7" from Off the Disk right when it came out.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This loving rules. Wish the tour with Ruby the Hatchet were coming down to dongstate, that would rule...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Laserface posted:

Just wanted to let everyone know I was always lukewarm about Yob And then I saw them live last night and it's not only the best show I have ever been to, it has erased all other top shows from my life forever

Holy gently caress. I have never experienced anything like that in my life. Amazing. See them even if you don't like them. It was incredible. I cried.

I first saw Yob opening for Tool in Portland last year. Until then, I never really listened to (or even knew about) doom metal. They were loving amazing.