Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did any of the show's artists or animators ever produce any concept art of what Curare's face was meant to look like?
Supposedly this is concept art of her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Raygereio posted:

Supposedly this is concept art of her face.

bonerkiller

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

prefect posted:

I may be misremembering, but didn't Earth X Reed stretch his brain so that he could use Professor X-style telepathy?

Kind of, he needed to use cerebro so he re shaped his brain to be more like Xavier's

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Say Nothing posted:

Terry is Batman's son, via some genetic manipulation by Amanda Waller. He was bred to be the next Batman.

Close. Terry's a clone of Bruce, made by Waller. Everything leading up to him becoming Batman was orchestrated by her organization, including the murder of his "father", which is some Boys From Brazil level stuff

Opopanax posted:

Kind of, he needed to use cerebro so he re shaped his brain to be more like Xavier's

I thought he used an MRI Printout to shape it just like Xavier's.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Nevermind, I don't want to derail things more than they have been derailed.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 24, 2015

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Choco1980 posted:

Close. Terry's a clone of Bruce, made by Waller. Everything leading up to him becoming Batman was orchestrated by her organization, including the murder of his "father", which is some Boys From Brazil level stuff
Also, it might be more appropriate for the touching moments thread, but one of the flashbacks in that episode is really good, and I think you could argue that it's kind of bad-rear end.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

No, that's what Terry thinks happened before Waller explains herself. Terry's dad had his reproductive DNA overwritten with Bruce's... somehow, it's CADMUS tech so whatever. And they were going to kill Terry's parents but their assassin backed out at the last second and the whole operation shut itself down after that. Terry became Batman anyway because destiny or random chance or something.

Also there's the implication that Terry's parents split up because of Waller's fuckery, since even if there's no infidelity in the marriage having two kids who look nothing like their dad has got to be a strain.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Grendels Dad posted:

I imagine Peter became the world's greatest pro wrestler in a world where Uncle Ben lived.

Peter sort of became the Manhattan Guardian. Fighting crime, then calling up Jameson to give him a heads up on the scoop.

Though that's in a world where Auny May got shot instead. In the world where he simply stopped the burglar when he had the chance, Peter became a gigantic Hollywood jackass to such a point that Jameson started the Sinister Six to kill him.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gavok posted:

Peter sort of became the Manhattan Guardian. Fighting crime, then calling up Jameson to give him a heads up on the scoop.

Though that's in a world where Auny May got shot instead. In the world where he simply stopped the burglar when he had the chance, Peter became a gigantic Hollywood jackass to such a point that Jameson started the Sinister Six to kill him.

And he put Daredevil on retainer to be a superhero. And he had a cape!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Alacron posted:

No, that's what Terry thinks happened before Waller explains herself. Terry's dad had his reproductive DNA overwritten with Bruce's... somehow, it's CADMUS tech so whatever. And they were going to kill Terry's parents but their assassin backed out at the last second and the whole operation shut itself down after that. Terry became Batman anyway because destiny or random chance or something.

Also there's the implication that Terry's parents split up because of Waller's fuckery, since even if there's no infidelity in the marriage having two kids who look nothing like their dad has got to be a strain.

And that assassin? Andrea Beaumont, AKA The Phantasm.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

And that assassin? Andrea Beaumont, AKA The Phantasm.

Even better, in the BB comics it's revealed the person who ended up killing Terry's father in the series pilot was the grandnephew of Joe Chill.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Each revelation more stupid than the last.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

Even better, in the BB comics it's revealed the person who ended up killing Terry's father in the series pilot was the grandnephew of Joe Chill.

The BB comics are loving terrible.

The JLU retcon wasn't great but holy poo poo. Tim becoming BB was a mercy kill for Terry. :smith:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Evil Mastermind posted:

Who becomes a vigilante to atone for his sins!!!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Who becomes a vigilante to atone for his sins!!!

Called "Vigilante"!

It just keeps going.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait so someone shot Terry's dad's testicles full of Bruce's sperm instead? :cry:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Wait so someone shot Terry's dad's testicles full of Bruce's sperm instead? :cry:

Yeah, and for some reason everyone involved thought "this is a really good idea and doesn't retroactively ruin our TV series"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gavok posted:

As opposed to the world where Jameson personally funds The Scorpion, and multiple generations of "Spider-Slayers"?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

As opposed to the world where Jameson personally funds The Scorpion, and multiple generations of "Spider-Slayers"?

He wanted those guys to defeat Spider-man, not kill him.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
drat Terry's dad got life's short end of the stick. Turns out your handsome athlete son has nothing to do with you genetically, your boss is a maniac, and then you get killed by juggalos.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

He wanted those guys to defeat Spider-man, not kill him.

He didn't want the Spider-Slayers to kill Spider-Man? For a newspaper man Jameson's grasp of the English language is a little troubling.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey, go back to posting more badass panels and less chat about those panels. We're here for the pictures with words not just words.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rough Lobster posted:

drat Terry's dad got life's short end of the stick. Turns out your handsome athlete son has nothing to do with you genetically, your boss is a maniac, and then you get killed by juggalos.

He's killed by his boss's goons-the clowns were a red herring set up by them to shift blame.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Hey, go back to posting more badass panels and less chat about those panels. We're here for the pictures with words not just words.

Right on. I debated putting this in the touching/inspiring panels thread, but it's a little of bit of both, so I'll put it here.

Avengers #34.1: Here's Hyperion, (one of) Marvel's resident Superman knockoff(s), stopping a kidnapping.

And now the sad part:

http://i.imgur.com/x18Deqv.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/juHdbC4.jpg?1

e: edited for size

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 26, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I always used to complain about Superman knockoffs, and while I still do in general, that one issue made me so happy for Hyperion's existance. That is exactly how Superman should be written.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's a great single issue story, my favorite single issue last year actually, but that's way too many pages. Try to limit your full pages please and remove some of that.

WickedHate posted:

I always used to complain about Superman knockoffs, and while I still do in general, that one issue made me so happy for Hyperion's existance. That is exactly how Superman should be written.

On this I could not disagree more. That's the opposite of how Superman should be written. It being so different to how Superman should be is what makes it such a good issue. It's what makes Hyperion more than just a Superman ripoff as he's always been. It makes him more of his own character.

And I'm talking specifically on how the issue deals with Hyperion's place in the world and him being a constant outcast. Him wanting to talk it over instead of fight is definitely in line with what Superman should be, but the rest of the book paints a picture of someone so disconnected with their surroundings and so completely on the outside that he struggles to connect with humanity at all. That is the opposite of what Superman should be.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 26, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

On this I could not disagree more. That's the opposite of how Superman should be written. It being so different to how Superman should be is what makes it such a good issue. It's what makes Hyperion more than just a Superman ripoff as he's always been. It makes him more of his own character.

And I'm talking specifically on how the issue deals with Hyperion's place in the world and him being a constant outcast. Him wanting to talk it over instead of fight is definitely in line with what Superman should be, but the rest of the book paints a picture of someone so disconnected with their surroundings and so completely on the outside that he struggles to connect with humanity at all. That is the opposite of what Superman should be.

Hyperion rocks, and I can accept him as his own person while also acknowleging he was made in this world to be a knock off, but the attitude and goals are the same, despite the more alien outlook and harder time feeling like he belongs compared to Clark Kent. That's what I'm talking about. He's not being portrayed as an exact clone of Superman, I just think that's a much closer direction than a lot of official Superman stuff.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This Hyperion material is the most badass thing that's been posted here in weeks.

X-O, why should superman be deeply connected and fully in sync with humanity? At that point he's afforded a level of absolute moral and physical superiority that makes him, at best, uninteresting, and frequently, what this comic calls "the biggest bully in the playground". Absent the struggle of connecting with or reacting to humanity, there's no longer any sense of tension, change or development with Superman- the classic problem of the character.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Discendo Vox posted:

the classic problem of the character.

The classic problem with the character is bad writers who can't concieve of anyone being as strong as Superman or a conflict that isn't immediately solvable with his abilities.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Discendo Vox posted:

This Hyperion material is the most badass thing that's been posted here in weeks.

X-O, why should superman be deeply connected and fully in sync with humanity? At that point he's afforded a level of absolute moral and physical superiority that makes him, at best, uninteresting, and frequently, what this comic calls "the biggest bully in the playground". Absent the struggle of connecting with or reacting to humanity, there's no longer any sense of tension, change or development with Superman- the classic problem of the character.

The great contradiction of Superman is that he is an alien defined by his humanity. The thing that makes him Superman isn't the godlike power of his Kryptonian heritage, it's his Mister Rogers-level decency, which he learned from his human parents. Despite being beyond human in every physical way, he is entirely dependent on his connection to humanity. He's a super man. The contrast is often most clearly depicted when he's contrasted against other Kryptonians, who didn't have a human upbringing.

Unless you ask Zack Snyder. Then he's a confused alien who doesn't understand the concept of innocent bystanders.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Chaos Hippy posted:

The great contradiction of Superman is that he is an alien defined by his humanity. The thing that makes him Superman isn't the godlike power of his Kryptonian heritage, it's his Mister Rogers-level decency, which he learned from his human parents. Despite being beyond human in every physical way, he is entirely dependent on his connection to humanity. He's a super man. The contrast is often most clearly depicted when he's contrasted against other Kryptonians, who didn't have a human upbringing.

Unless you ask Zack Snyder. Then he's a confused alien who doesn't understand the concept of innocent bystanders.

Nailed it.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I was born with the John Williams theme stuck in my head. This poo poo's in my blood.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's hundreds of superheroes out there, whether a portion of the fanbase thinks it's boring or not the one that should always be above reproach is Superman. He should always have more faith in man that man does in him. That's all due to his understanding and compassion for people. That more than anything is what makes Superman above reproach.

Hyperion in that issue is a character struggling to try and be that and that's incredibly interesting and good way to make him more than just a ripoff, but for Superman that's all he knows. That's his character. There's no struggle to overcome and connect.

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 26, 2015

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Chaos Hippy posted:

Basically, Superman is Clark Kent, not Kal-El. I hate it when people in comics call him by his Kryptonian name and he accepts it. He got that name when he was a day old. It's like saying an adopted kid is defined by where he is born, not where he was raised in.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Chaos Hippy posted:

This is it exactly. Regardless of WHAT the situation does, Clark devotes his life to at least always trying to do what's the very best choice, the most right. That's often times not at all the easiest to perform, nor the easiest to accept. It's not his super strength or his flight or his nigh invulnerability that make him super, it's his unwavering character, one that all humankind can look up to and hope to ascribe to that are why he's the best superhero. He doesn't turn it into moral superiority either, he's just doing the absolute best he can at all times. It took me a long time to see all this instead of having the stereotypical kid attitude of thinking of him as the "big blue boyscout" and preferring the grimdark and brooding heroes, but once I did, I think I kinda even gained more of a respect and hope for humanity as a whole, and what we can achieve. And drat, if you don't see that as a superpower, than I don't know what to say to you.

(Also, it's nice to hear someone besides myself use the "Not a Superman, but a super Man" argument)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I want to be clear that I agree with all this and that I wasn't including the alienation in "How Superman should be written".

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

DarkCrawler posted:

Basically, Superman is Clark Kent, not Kal-El. I hate it when people in comics call him by his Kryptonian name and he accepts it. He got that name when he was a day old. It's like saying an adopted kid is defined by where he is born, not where he was raised in.

This is why in Kingdom Come, Diana balks at calling him Clark and reverts to calling him Kal-El. When, in that story, he finally cant deal with identifying with humanity and withdraws, Diana calls him by his natural name - what being "human" means has changed, and Kal is no longer part of it.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

Yes, precisely this.

I recall that panel with Superman and Nightwing in a park running into a security guard who comments that the park must be really safe with the two of them patrolling it, and Superman replies with "The three of us". The thing I feel like a lot of people don't get is that when he says things like that, he means it. He's this invincible supergod who thinks that an ordinary guy putting on a uniform and doing his small part to protect people is just as admirable as anything he's done as Superman. Possibly even more admirable, because that dude's not bulletproof.

Edit: In an effort to not drag this derail any further (seriously, I could do this for days), I'll squeeze my last thought into this post:

It honestly really annoys me when people refer to Superman's unwavering good guy attitude as "old fashioned", because that opinion is just completely divorced from reality. Humanity's go-to response to the majority of problems, for most of our 10,000 years of recorded history, has been violence and brutality. We are, by our very nature, bloodthirsty and territorial creatures. The word "genocide" was first coined in 1944 because, before the last three or four centuries, wiping entire cultures off the face of the earth for whatever reason suited you wasn't all that controversial. Solving problems through peaceful action, and treating enemies (or even the people you're meant to protect) with compassion is a very new concept. To me personally, that's what it means when Superman is referred to as the "Man of Tomorrow". He represents the idealised future of human development, in much the same way that Star Trek does.

I'd cap this off with a badass Superman panel if I had one handy.

haitfais fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 26, 2015

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

DarkCrawler posted:

Likewise, this is why I hate stuff like Superman worshipping Kryptonian gods and studying Kryptonian martial arts. It's trying to make Superman more alien just so it can... I don't know, make him a unique special snowflake?

Also, didn't the Silver Age have a weird thing where Supes would refer to the Kents as his "foster parents" or something? I remember this weird undercurrent of, "Yeah they're nice and all but they're not his real parents" that pissed me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Terrible Horse posted:

This is why in Kingdom Come, Diana balks at calling him Clark and reverts to calling him Kal-El. When, in that story, he finally cant deal with identifying with humanity and withdraws, Diana calls him by his natural name - what being "human" means has changed, and Kal is no longer part of it.

It's kind of the opposite of that, Diana doesn't balk, she calls him Clark out of habit and he stares her down until she calls him "Kal". He's withdrawn because Lois and his parents have died, and he's shut out his human side because of the pain. Being human means dealing with death and loss, and he can't handle it - he says "They're earthlings, they die." He doesn't want to be Clark if it means feeling their loss.

Even toward the middle of the story he's still running from Clark's pain and treats him like a different person. When he's telling Diana the story about Brainiac he says he hid part of him in a Pulitzer in 'Clark's' apartment.