Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Isn't that year one of the cars that likes to burn oil?

Anyone know where the Soundaktor(tm) is located in the new cars? Will unplugging it cause any issues, cause I really do not enjoy the fake engine noise.
The AEG engines that were assembled in Mexico had a problem where the piston rings were labelled upside down, so they were installed the wrong way at the factory and the fuckers would go through oil like Chinese food through my uncle. Mine is an AVH, which was assembled in Brasil and avoided that whole problem. I bought a set of piston rings along with a Fel-Pro engine gasket set that has, I think, every gasket in the head including valve stem seals. If the rings turn out to be okay, I'm guessing it's the valve stem seals. I'm fed up with having to clean my gacked spark plugs every 3 months because of all the oil that's going through the engine. My catalytic converter's days are likely numbered if I can't fix this soon.

I need an air compressor to do a leak down test, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

scuz posted:

The AEG engines that were assembled in Mexico had a problem where the piston rings were labelled upside down, so they were installed the wrong way at the factory and the fuckers would go through oil like Chinese food through my uncle. Mine is an AVH, which was assembled in Brasil and avoided that whole problem. I bought a set of piston rings along with a Fel-Pro engine gasket set that has, I think, every gasket in the head including valve stem seals. If the rings turn out to be okay, I'm guessing it's the valve stem seals. I'm fed up with having to clean my gacked spark plugs every 3 months because of all the oil that's going through the engine. My catalytic converter's days are likely numbered if I can't fix this soon.

I need an air compressor to do a leak down test, right?

Could use a bike pump to do a leak down test as well I guess but it's a cheap enough thing to get a shop to do.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What are some "cheap" upgrades I can make to my car? I've had my car for a few years and I think I need to breathe some new life into it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

obi_ant posted:

What are some "cheap" upgrades I can make to my car? I've had my car for a few years and I think I need to breathe some new life into it.

What car?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Could use a bike pump to do a leak down test as well I guess but it's a cheap enough thing to get a shop to do.
Welp there's a shop around the corner from me that has a shop cat named Bobbie and will do a leak-down test for less than what it would cost me to buy a reliable tester, so there ya go. Maybe they'll align my car at the same time, wouldn't that be fun. edit: they WILL do the alignment, but it'll be $100, which seems steep. Last time I got an alignment done it was $60, but I'm not sure of the going rate these days.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oy! 2008 GTI 2 door.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Oy! 2008 GTI 2 door.

Get the stage 1 APR tune.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Oy! 2008 GTI 2 door.

Catch it up on maintenance and make sure your solenoids/etc are in good working order.

If all that is good, then chipppppp it like the other guy said.

fake edit: Save your cash for when your stupid loving variable air conditioning compressor shits the bed.

Second fake edit: Get your intake valves cleaned (walnut blasted) - the 2.0t loves to build up carbon. That's actually what you should do first.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Just put a deposit down on a 2013 A4 Premium Plus.

Anything in particular I ought to know before it becomes my daily driver?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Catch it up on maintenance and make sure your solenoids/etc are in good working order.

If all that is good, then chipppppp it like the other guy said.

fake edit: Save your cash for when your stupid loving variable air conditioning compressor shits the bed.

Second fake edit: Get your intake valves cleaned (walnut blasted) - the 2.0t loves to build up carbon. That's actually what you should do first.

Heh. The air conditioner actually broke about 4 years in. Covered by Volkswagen thankfully.

My mechanic did suggest that since I'm about to hit 60k. Is there a reason why I should do the walnut blasting as opposed to a chemical one?

via
Dec 14, 2013
I have a 2014 JSW. Does the misfueling guard work well enough to lend my car out without a warning taped to the steering wheel?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

via posted:

I have a 2014 JSW. Does the misfueling guard work well enough to lend my car out without a warning taped to the steering wheel?

Not sure, as I told them to get hosed when they wanted to put it in my 11 Golf. I've heard enough issues with being able to top up that I didn't do it. I'd still tape a big rear end label to the wheel.

As to the GTI, get the head cleaned, and depending on the amount of money you feel like spending, get either stage 1 apr, or stage 2 (downpipe).

I actually looked up the youtube vid for the soundaktor and unplugged it this morning. Gave the new girl a wash and figured out that with the Opti-coat I don't have to actually wash it. Hose it down and dry it off. The dirt literally slides off with water pressure and doesn't require soap.

also figured out that 0-60 requires 1 shift :) 0-20 in first, 20-60 in 2nd. My god I love this car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

via posted:

It should. I've come across gas stations that put regular nozzles on their diesel pumps for whatever reason and I couldn't fill up.

Having said that, don't let anyone that doesn't regularly drive a diesel fill up your car. It's just asking for trouble.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

It should. I've come across gas stations that put regular nozzles on their diesel pumps for whatever reason and I couldn't fill up.

Having said that, don't let anyone that doesn't regularly drive a diesel fill up your car. It's just asking for trouble.

This reminded me of the disclaimer on the 10y/120k mile hpfp warranty extension. If you don't have the stupid insert in the fuel filler, or they determine there is gas in the system, they won't cover you. Honestly still amazed they actually extended the warranty since they outright refused to admit that the fuel pump was designed wrong due to our lovely fuel here but have silently updated the fuel pump without changing the part number. At least our airbags won't murder us.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I fill my TDI at the semi pumps.

ppyy
Nov 5, 2005
I'm considering a used 2011 A4 Avant with just under 70k - looks like a pretty great car and it is being sold by a reputable dealer. The oil consumption stuff really freaks me out though and based on the history, it appears this car has had the oil issue in the past. I'm looking at the Carfax and I think the info in it is enough to let me rest easy and go ahead with the purchase.

10/04/2013 - 42,368 - Oil and filter changed, Crankshaft pulley/balancer replaced
02/27/2014 - 49,987 - Engine removed to complete repair, Fuel system checked, Piston rings replaced

I have a couple questions about this:

1. Since these changes have already been made to the car, can I be pretty confident the oil issue won't return?
2. Should I be concerned that only the Piston rings were replaced? some people on the internet are reporting rings AND pistons were replaced on theirs.

one last question (and this one is just from my noob-ness when it comes to car buying): due to the class action lawsuit on the oil issue, Audi agreed to extend the mfr warranty to 8yr/80k, this car is a 70k so its got 10k to go. As a second owner of the car, do I get access to this 10k warranty?

Would love to hear from one of the VW/AUdi techs or any owner that went through this warranty process.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The warranty should transfer over and if it's anything like my experience with the cam follower extended warranty the process is quite pleasant if you need to use it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

obi_ant posted:

My mechanic did suggest that since I'm about to hit 60k. Is there a reason why I should do the walnut blasting as opposed to a chemical one?

I have no idea, either is probably fine. I just haven't researched things in a couple years and I haven't heard of chemical cleaning, tho I am assuming that the process for fixing this very common issue has evolved.

ppyy posted:

I'm considering a used 2011 A4 Avant with just under 70k - looks like a pretty great car and it is being sold by a reputable dealer. The oil consumption stuff really freaks me out though and based on the history, it appears this car has had the oil issue in the past. I'm looking at the Carfax and I think the info in it is enough to let me rest easy and go ahead with the purchase.

10/04/2013 - 42,368 - Oil and filter changed, Crankshaft pulley/balancer replaced
02/27/2014 - 49,987 - Engine removed to complete repair, Fuel system checked, Piston rings replaced

I have a couple questions about this:

1. Since these changes have already been made to the car, can I be pretty confident the oil issue won't return?
2. Should I be concerned that only the Piston rings were replaced? some people on the internet are reporting rings AND pistons were replaced on theirs.

one last question (and this one is just from my noob-ness when it comes to car buying): due to the class action lawsuit on the oil issue, Audi agreed to extend the mfr warranty to 8yr/80k, this car is a 70k so its got 10k to go. As a second owner of the car, do I get access to this 10k warranty?

Would love to hear from one of the VW/AUdi techs or any owner that went through this warranty process.

Depending on how long the oil issue went on for, the catalytic converter might be quite hosed. A coworker who had the oil issue repaired on her 2009 is getting P0420 (catalyst below efficiency) and I have to assume that is due to massive amounts of oil smoke loving up the cat. Cats for those cars aren't cheap and are an absolute pain in the dick (but not particularly hard) to replace.

ppyy
Nov 5, 2005

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Depending on how long the oil issue went on for, the catalytic converter might be quite hosed. A coworker who had the oil issue repaired on her 2009 is getting P0420 (catalyst below efficiency) and I have to assume that is due to massive amounts of oil smoke loving up the cat. Cats for those cars aren't cheap and are an absolute pain in the dick (but not particularly hard) to replace.

Can this be checked for before purchase or is it simply something that *might* eventually happen?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

ppyy posted:

Can this be checked for before purchase or is it simply something that *might* eventually happen?

I'm sure you could hook up a vagcom and look at the pre and post cat O2 readings and see if they are out of whack, or take it far enough apart to get a visual.

Based on what I know about the oil consumption issue, tho, I'd say it's something that will *probably* happen. It's a pretty nasty problem and the amount of oil burned is huuge.

ppyy
Nov 5, 2005

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I'm sure you could hook up a vagcom and look at the pre and post cat O2 readings and see if they are out of whack, or take it far enough apart to get a visual.

Based on what I know about the oil consumption issue, tho, I'd say it's something that will *probably* happen. It's a pretty nasty problem and the amount of oil burned is huuge.

If you could get the vehicle I describe for in the 20k range, would you do it? Also, do you agree that if the rings only were fixed the consumption issue is probably fixed?

Thanks for your advice on this, really trying to talk myself into the car as i love the style and it drives well. First-time car buyer here - I'm paranoid.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

ppyy posted:

If you could get the vehicle I describe for in the 20k range, would you do it? Also, do you agree that if the rings only were fixed the consumption issue is probably fixed?

Thanks for your advice on this, really trying to talk myself into the car as i love the style and it drives well. First-time car buyer here - I'm paranoid.

gently caress no.

Regular intake cleaning (thanks direct injection!), high pressure fuel pump issues (I think it's the camshaft followers on that car, but don't quote me on that), and I think those things also have crap unreliable variable displacement air conditioning compressors like the transverse cars. Not to mention the likely cat damage from the oil consumption issue, and the normal longitudinal-engine Audi maintenance like timing belts and suspension arms. Honestly, none of that is too bad if you're prepared for it and take care of it when it comes up (and have a good VW mechanic) - the cars are overall pretty solid... But you were asking if I would do it personally and no, no I would not.

I do agree they drive well and look ace. Plus, the flip keys are worth hours of entertainment.

Quick edit: That year may actually use a timing chain... It's worth Googling, that'd take away an every-60k $1000 expense. I'll admit to mostly talking out my rear end about the 2.0t and beyond cars, aside from a brief experience touching an A3 and an A4 so plz verify any and all of what I say.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 23, 2015

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Just got a used 2014 2.5L Golf (not the TDI or GTI). 6-speed auto. Yay! 33k miles, so the bumper-to-bumper is almost up. Boo. Having never owned a VW or an even semi-sporty car before I don't know if I'm imagining things, but sometimes it feels... jerky? Especially accelerating at low speeds I can feel these little micro-pulses of g-force bumping my head back into the headrest every second or so like it's jerking forward a few feet and then slowing down, but watching the RPMs and speedometer like a hawk while it does this I don't see anything unusual, nor does it sound like it's misfiring or anything. In fact the engine makes a great noise to me. Is this what it's supposed to feel like? Am I imagining it? Is it a thing with MKVII Golfs?

It feels exactly like someone who hasn't driven a car before not being able to gently feather the throttle, which is what I marked it up to the first couple of days and didn't think anything of it until I'd been driving it about five days.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 24, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ppyy posted:

If you're planning to spend that kind of money why not look into a 15 Golf Sportwagen. It won't have the linked rings, but it'll have a warranty and end up costing less in issues over the time you keep it. Just remember, just cause its 20k now, doesn't mean that you're doing maintenance on a 20k car.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Imagined posted:

Just got a used 2014 2.5L Golf (not the TDI or GTI). 6-speed auto. Yay! 33k miles, so the bumper-to-bumper is almost up. Boo. Having never owned a VW or an even semi-sporty car before I don't know if I'm imagining things, but sometimes it feels... jerky? Especially accelerating at low speeds I can feel these little micro-pulses of g-force bumping my head back into the headrest every second or so like it's jerking forward a few feet and then slowing down, but watching the RPMs and speedometer like a hawk while it does this I don't see anything unusual, nor does it sound like it's misfiring or anything. In fact the engine makes a great noise to me. Is this what it's supposed to feel like? Am I imagining it? Is it a thing with MKVII Golfs?

It feels exactly like someone who hasn't driven a car before not being able to gently feather the throttle, which is what I marked it up to the first couple of days and didn't think anything of it until I'd been driving it about five days.

It takes a bit of getting used to. My girlfriend had a bit of difficulty adjusting to my GTI. Also, apparently, the car learns your driving style and should be adjusting appropriately (the dealer told me this, my old mechanic also told me this). Unless it's *really* jerky? Then it might be something to worry about.

ppyy
Nov 5, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

If you're planning to spend that kind of money why not look into a 15 Golf Sportwagen. It won't have the linked rings, but it'll have a warranty and end up costing less in issues over the time you keep it. Just remember, just cause its 20k now, doesn't mean that you're doing maintenance on a 20k car.

This is the exact plan I hatched last night. The year-end event looks like pretty good terms...

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

ppyy posted:

This is the exact plan I hatched last night. The year-end event looks like pretty good terms...

Do it, picked my '13 up during the same event and got 0% financing, which made me feel much better about buying a new car. Also got one with a sunroof for no extra cause it was the right color and they wanted it off their lot instead of binging in another car without a sunroof for me.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

obi_ant posted:

It takes a bit of getting used to. My girlfriend had a bit of difficulty adjusting to my GTI. Also, apparently, the car learns your driving style and should be adjusting appropriately (the dealer told me this, my old mechanic also told me this). Unless it's *really* jerky? Then it might be something to worry about.

My folks 2012 6spd DSG TDI (see my post history bitching about it :D) has never 'learned' poo poo and I'm pretty convinced there is a problem with the tranny. So is my dads friend who owns a VW/Porsche shop. VW/Audi says everything is A+ perfect though!

YMMV!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

My folks 2012 6spd DSG TDI (see my post history bitching about it :D) has never 'learned' poo poo and I'm pretty convinced there is a problem with the tranny. So is my dads friend who owns a VW/Porsche shop. VW/Audi says everything is A+ perfect though!

YMMV!

The 2.5 golf is a regular torque converter automatic iirc. That being said, I am not a fan of how VW programs their transmissions - even the brand new cars I drove were a little funky. It's probably fine... Transverse VW automatics usually wait until about 100k to fail (also they may have fixed their issues by now... I haven't researched)

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

RIP Paul Walker posted:

The 2.5 golf is a regular torque converter automatic iirc. That being said, I am not a fan of how VW programs their transmissions - even the brand new cars I drove were a little funky. It's probably fine... Transverse VW automatics usually wait until about 100k to fail (also they may have fixed their issues by now... I haven't researched)

Mine's excellent.

:smug:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

AnimalChin posted:

Mine's excellent.

:smug:

Mine is better

:smaug:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Neighbor's selling a 2007 A4 2.0 Quattro with the A/T or DSG or whatever the non stick option is for cheap. 66k miles. How much of a pain in the rear end are these to own?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

blk posted:

Neighbor's selling a 2007 A4 2.0 Quattro with the A/T or DSG or whatever the non stick option is for cheap. 66k miles. How much of a pain in the rear end are these to own?
Oh it's a normal torque converter automatic, ZF 6 speed, prolly a 6HP19 (I probably made that up).

See my earlier post with the words "gently caress no" in it.

How cheap?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Is anybody here familiar with vagcom and disabling the alh alarm? I don't really want to post an entire thread about it yet but I have a 99 alh tdi beetle and I'm trying to put it into an 84 Grumman Kubvan I've had sitting in my yard for years. This is the first modern vw I've owned and I'm trying to figure out whether to just sell the beetle and pick up an older jetty or Passat tdi or if the swap will be a decent project.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

thatguy posted:

Is anybody here familiar with vagcom and disabling the alh alarm? I don't really want to post an entire thread about it yet but I have a 99 alh tdi beetle and I'm trying to put it into an 84 Grumman Kubvan I've had sitting in my yard for years. This is the first modern vw I've owned and I'm trying to figure out whether to just sell the beetle and pick up an older jetty or Passat tdi or if the swap will be a decent project.

By alarm do you mean the immobilizer? because a 99 wont have that so you should be good to go.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Mine is better

:smaug:

:drat:

2016 Golf R ?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

AnimalChin posted:

:drat:

2016 Golf R ?

Yep.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
K new vw tdi chat, wife is still looking at a new tdi is the '16 really going to be that much better than the '15? Couple of dealers i have talked to seem ready to drop their pants on 15's prices since the 16 is slated to be better on paper. should i wait or pull the trigger on a 15?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

K new vw tdi chat, wife is still looking at a new tdi is the '16 really going to be that much better than the '15? Couple of dealers i have talked to seem ready to drop their pants on 15's prices since the 16 is slated to be better on paper. should i wait or pull the trigger on a 15?

If it is, it'll mostly be small things, like the new head unit. Depending on the price they are willing to go for, the 15 might be the better deal. I had to wait for the 16 because the 15 was DSG only.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Volkswagen/comments/3hyvze/deal_on_15_golf_tdi_or_wait_for_16/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Fart Pipe posted:

By alarm do you mean the immobilizer? because a 99 wont have that so you should be good to go.

The beetle is a driver and it's got the same cut rfid key as the newer keys but instead of the instrument panel car symbol and the startup/shutdown of the immobilizer the alarm just goes off and the car won't start. Is this something the Ross tech vagcom programmer can handle? I am literally a mk1 idi 1.6 dude, I know basically nothing about the mk3+ other than stuff I've been reading and that I've driven the beetle for the last few months while doing zero work on it.