Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Furism posted:

PotD, level 12 party. That's one pull. All the enemies, including the Warmages, have 100+ Deflection (Soldiers have 122). Brawlers have only 80 or so but kill my squishies in about 3 rounds. The problem I have is that it's hard to find spots where to fight them, so I don't have much options I can think of. Ringleader works nicely, but it take time to build focus again. Slicken is a problem because the enemies run all over the place.
I might try bump it up to potd. I found potd really frustrating at the beginning of the game and hard presented a good challenge. However, the difficulty decreased markedly once I got to build my party and its more evident in the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

evilmiera posted:

Asking again since I presume a few people have reached that point: In Stalwart, are there only two souls I can awaken for the main quest or is that it? I feel like I've checked everywhere and the questlog says there still may be more.

Which ones did you find?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Furism posted:

PotD, level 12 party. That's one pull. All the enemies, including the Warmages, have 100+ Deflection (Soldiers have 122). Brawlers have only 80 or so but kill my squishies in about 3 rounds. The problem I have is that it's hard to find spots where to fight them, so I don't have much options I can think of. Ringleader works nicely, but it take time to build focus again. Slicken is a problem because the enemies run all over the place.

I feel like that whole area is for high level players, the rewards you get in some cases require level 13. I did it first and then went ot the White March and it was too easy. Maybe that's why you're having trouble.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Which ones did you find?

The old woman and the young waitress. . But like I said, already went with one over the other after trying both out.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Oh good, Ydwen's Redeemer doesn't count Vessels that get insta-killed by its effect for its upgrade progress. Thanks.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 26, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Oh good, Ydwen's Redeemer doesn't count Vessels that get insta-killed by its effect for its upgrade progress. Thanks.

You've seem very irate about videogames recently SunAndSpring, is everything okay?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Wizard Styles posted:

You can realistically get away from having tanks. I've never played with one on PotD (on Hard I turned Pallegina into one, hosed up her build because I didn't know what I was doing, and it was okay although I really regretted giving her Weapon & Shield Style in the end).

How does a tankless party work? Even on my normal playthrough I felt like I needed at least two tough frontliners. I might be bad.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I think I'm going to start a new game as a Paladin this evening. Does anyone have some 2.0-friendly build/play tips? Whatever my party composition requires, I'd like to take the new monk and rogue along.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
A while ago, I lost my save for computer reasons after getting to Twin Elms, and was too disheartened to start over. Now that everything is new and wonderful again, I am restarting. It looks like a lot of things have changed, and so far, I have restarted six times because I keep getting new character ideas.

A) It looks like a bunch of wizard spells have gotten better. Previously, a Fight Wizard could blow three or four spells to be almost as good as a Fighter for twenty seconds, and it was sub-optimal as hell. Is a Fight Wizard front-line gith-wannabe viable for PotD now?

B) Are PC Paladins good and fun? I really wanted to like Pellegrino, but she was lacking compared to Ed in keeping jerks away from my robes, and lacking compared to my Mercenary Rogue in hitting really hard, and it seemed like Paladins were low-impact overall.

C) Are Ciphers still best with shotguns, or can a hackenslashy frontline cipher be cool and good now? Also, what are good stats for A or C?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Evil Sagan posted:

I think I'm going to start a new game as a Paladin this evening. Does anyone have some 2.0-friendly build/play tips? Whatever my party composition requires, I'd like to take the new monk and rogue along.

Given that you want a rogue and monk along I assume your Paladin needs to be a tank. I would recommend around 14 in Might (for the Lay on Hands healing bonus), Constitution around 12 (some people dump Con on their tank, I don't like that). Keep Dex around 10. Boost Perception to something like 14 or more, Int around 14 as well (for more range on the Auras). Basically, balance around Might/Perception/Int as I find these are more important.

Early on you want to take Lay on Hands, the DR reduction aura until you get Heavy Armor (or above 80 Deflection), then switch to the +Accuracy aura. Use a heavy shield is not required. Liberating Exhortation is great, as well as the one that resuscitate people. I used Black Path as I was playing a Bleak Walker, because it's just awesome to do an AE Fear when you kill someone yourself - but be aware that doesn't happen a lot, it's just for flavor.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Scoss posted:

How does a tankless party work? Even on my normal playthrough I felt like I needed at least two tough frontliners. I might be bad.

6 poo poo-kickers that don't need to be protected.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lay on hands sucks.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

You've seem very irate about videogames recently SunAndSpring, is everything okay?

Video games are good, but bugs are not.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Video games are actually bad and bugs are the rightful punishment of a universe that disdains its children.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

sassassin posted:

Lay on hands sucks.

The Shield order can modify Flames to give all allies 10 deflection. Much better than Lay of Hands.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Furism posted:

Given that you want a rogue and monk along I assume your Paladin needs to be a tank. I would recommend around 14 in Might (for the Lay on Hands healing bonus), Constitution around 12 (some people dump Con on their tank, I don't like that). Keep Dex around 10. Boost Perception to something like 14 or more, Int around 14 as well (for more range on the Auras). Basically, balance around Might/Perception/Int as I find these are more important.

Early on you want to take Lay on Hands, the DR reduction aura until you get Heavy Armor (or above 80 Deflection), then switch to the +Accuracy aura. Use a heavy shield is not required. Liberating Exhortation is great, as well as the one that resuscitate people. I used Black Path as I was playing a Bleak Walker, because it's just awesome to do an AE Fear when you kill someone yourself - but be aware that doesn't happen a lot, it's just for flavor.

This is terrible advice good lord.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Well?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hand Row posted:

The Shield order can modify Flames to give all allies 10 deflection. Much better than Lay of Hands.

Shielding Flames + Inspiring Triumph + Zealous Endurance + Reinforcing Exhortation + a very big gun and/or pike.

Huddle your party around the paladin for warmth.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

(some people dump Con on their tank, I don't like that)
In case people missed it, Con now modifies Endurance by 5% per point instead of 3%. Dumping it a little isn't that dramatic, but a really low score can result in fragile characters.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Has any tried a melee ranger? I'm not even sure how it would work.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

rope kid posted:

In case people missed it, Con now modifies Endurance by 5% per point instead of 3%. Dumping it a little isn't that dramatic, but a really low score can result in fragile characters.

Making it harder to min-max, but I see nothing wrong with that.

Rope kid, has the feedback on the Defender changes been good at all? Are those changes here to stay? I haven't played much of 2.0 tbh, but with the changes to perception, seems like one needs all the deflection points possible.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Most of the feedback I saw on Defender was negative, but I saw one or two people in favor of the changes. Granted, the pool of people commenting wasn't large, maybe 6-8. I'd like to see more feedback on it in play. Fighters with >10 Con have more Endurance now and Constant Recovery scales (though it starts with a lower base value). Between the changes to Defender and Wary Defender, it's a loss of 20 points of Deflection -- a lot, but D/WD shield-based fighters were incredibly far ahead of other characters in the late game. The alternative I proposed was reducing Accuracy, but for a character who's just attempting to hold a line, that may not be a meaningful drawback for the modal.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you have a Moon Godlike Tank Paladin you want:

High: Might, Con, Res
Middle: Dex and Per
Dump: Int

If it's not a Moon Godlike you'll want:

High: Con, Res, Int
Medium: Dex, Per
Low: Might

Basically between Dex/Per/Might for the non-Moon Godlike Paladin you'll want to balance these depending on how you want your saves to end up, bearing in mind that Reflex gets a humongous bonus from sword and shield style so it may be better to prioritise might ...?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Is Concelhaut, the Lich supposed to be the hardest enemy in the game now? (Cragholdt Bluffs Spoilers)

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ratios and Tendency posted:

This got me to Thaos on PotD so I'd say it works well, at least for me.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Is Concelhaut, the Lich supposed to be the hardest enemy in the game now? (Cragholdt Bluffs Spoilers)
One of them, yeah.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Adra Dragon and new dragon are harder. Concelhaut is still just as susceptible to prone as any normal enemy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

good change

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

sassassin posted:

Lay on hands sucks.
After patching, I think it's pretty good. :kiddo:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Roobanguy posted:

Adra Dragon and new dragon are harder. Concelhaut is still just as susceptible to prone as any normal enemy.

Really? The new dragon was easier than the Adra Dragon IMO. Especially with the Concelhaut pet you can summon that tanks it well.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

rope kid posted:

On an unrelated note, I've had conversations with Feargus about doing a small scope turn-based historical low fantasy game and they haven't ended with me being kicked out of his office/the building.

Can't you point at XCOM and just say you wanna go after some of that money?

That mad XCOM money.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I would like a turn based fantasy rpg where powers and abilities aren't stupidly over the top by mid-game. Like Shadowrun where in the final act you're still mainly shooting people in the face, you just get +1 AP per character and suddenly feel like killing machines.

I preferred BG1 to BG2.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
That new soulbound bow that does Best of Shock/Pierce is great. I just need to find 4 more treehuggers to kill and then I'll get it to rank 3.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SunAndSpring posted:

That new soulbound bow that does Best of Shock/Pierce is great. I just need to find 4 more treehuggers to kill and then I'll get it to rank 3.

Flashbacks to playing mmos.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
ropekid please add 4 might 4 constitution leather belt to white march 2.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I'm stuck on Level 13 of the Endless Paths. I talked to the spirit who told me about rigging the door, but it didn't open up any new dialogue options with that door, so I can't get through. Any help?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

Just getting to play now, I agree some of the multi-class talents are maybe a little aggressively tuned.
I probably won't be tuning these for the upcoming patch, but I will for the next one.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

McCheese posted:

The monk talent effects druid's wildshape claws too apparently. That might make for some fun gimmicky build on stuff below potd.

Your information is wrong. I just made a new character and tested this. Spiritshift claw damage did not go up at all.

Also, rope kid, did you get the save file I PMed you?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I did and sent it to QA for testing but have not heard back yet. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Smiling Knight posted:

I'm stuck on Level 13 of the Endless Paths. I talked to the spirit who told me about rigging the door, but it didn't open up any new dialogue options with that door, so I can't get through. Any help?

Gotta talk to some other spirit in one of the corners of the map and ask him after you talk to that guy.

• Locked thread