Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutrot
Dec 17, 2004

you're*
I'm really enjoying playing your splendid game, rope kid. Also watching your streaming of Darklands.

If Edér's armed with a Fine Flail, does the +20% of Grazes converted to Hits from his Confident Aim ability stack with the +30% from this weapon and the +15% from Pallegina's Zealous Focus aura, or does only the single bonus of greatest magnitude apply? Or is there some other permutation that occurs?

Also, how do I initiate the White March? The expansion's recognised within the start screen as active, with its own icon, and according to my save game I'm in chapter 2, and have definitely explored Defiance Bay enough to have picked up Pallegina and chat with the ghost in the topside ruin of the Temple of Woedica, but haven't headed into the Catacombs yet. The steward of Caed Nua doesn't appear to have any new dialogue for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Gotta talk to some other spirit in one of the corners of the map and ask him after you talk to that guy.

There is another spirit in the upper right, but I don't have the dialogue to ask him about the door or guess his name.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Really not liking some of the combat changes because it makes Easy a lot less casual now. Enemies shouldn't be wrecking me as hard as they are.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Evil Sagan posted:

I think I'm going to start a new game as a Paladin this evening. Does anyone have some 2.0-friendly build/play tips? Whatever my party composition requires, I'd like to take the new monk and rogue along.
Put your Resolve at 18 and Perception at 14 for tanking stats. Distribute the rest of your stats however you see fit. Raise might/dex for more damage, more int for longer buff durations, or perception to 18 for more tanking.

Monk+Paladin+Rogue is generic 1 tank + 1 OT + 1 melee DPS formation so grab three ranged classes. You can do a 4th front liner but give them a ranged weapon so they can still attack if your front ranks ever get clogged up. Grab any of the classes of characters that interest you. I'd probably grab a Priest and Wizard if it's your first playthrough. From there just pick either the Cipher or Druid. You can do the ranger but you might want some more CC from the Cipher or more spell damage from the Druid. The Cipher can double up as ranged DPS in this setup.

I have no idea what the monk/rogue look like stat-wise but generally being an OT just means putting on some medium or heavy armor. The rogue stats shouldn't matter, just gear her up.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Smiling Knight posted:

There is another spirit in the upper right, but I don't have the dialogue to ask him about the door or guess his name.

Did you talk to all the spirits? Try that and check the door again to see if there's anything new. There should be two new options, one where you say "I am pledged to defend Od Nua, yatta yatta" and another where you say the exact opposite of that. You gotta pick the latter if you wanna get through.

If it's bugged, I think you gotta reload a save before that floor, I guess.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Rascyc posted:

Put your Resolve at 18 and Perception at 14 for tanking stats. Distribute the rest of your stats however you see fit. Raise might/dex for more damage, more int for longer buff durations, or perception to 18 for more tanking.

Perception is now +accuracy and not +deflection any more so it's not great for tanking. It's still a good stat, for example if you want to lean into landing those disengagement attacks which occur more now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Scorchy posted:

Perception is now +accuracy and not +deflection any more so it's not great for tanking. It's still a good stat, for example if you want to lean into landing those disengagement attacks which occur more now.
Oh right, I'd probably still use the same stat spread because a little extra accuracy would help in the beginning of the game.

I still think Constitution sucks as a stat on real tank classes because I can count on one hand the # of times a tank has been gibbed via HP. Otherwise I view Endurance as just a throttle on Health and there's so many active regen effects in the game that it's kind of a pointless battle.

Also LoH is super effective after patch so it's like having an extra 250 regenerative endurance at end game if you use both LoHs on yourself.

Although when I play the expansion I am probably gonna go back to a Chanter PC and I probably will raise con on that in hopes that I can fight more often without having to regen their tiny health pool.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

So, Scorchy... When are you doing a PoE Let's Play?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Hulk Smash! posted:

So, Scorchy... When are you doing a PoE Let's Play?

Just turn the developer's commentary on

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Scorchy posted:

Just turn the developer's commentary on

Already did :/

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is anyone running into this:

These are screenshots taken from prior to 2.0:

This is a screenshot from today:

The blurry font is killing me. I use 110% font scaling, so I tried resetting that back to 100% but that didn't help. I get this blurry font in some parts of the character sheet (the right hand side) but not everywhere, and not in the toolbar boxes.

I can't play like this unfortunately because it's giving me a headache.

[fake edit] Okay I'm an idiot and missed this in my search on the main forums - http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/81273-20-blurry-font-in-game/

See ya peeps next week!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 26, 2015

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Is anyone else just skipping the first zone and diving straight into The White March? When I first loaded up I threw my party in there and tried to wail but I kept getting my rear end handed to me! So I just said gently caress it, I'll come back after I finish Part 1.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Rascyc posted:

Oh right, I'd probably still use the same stat spread because a little extra accuracy would help in the beginning of the game.

I still think Constitution sucks as a stat on real tank classes because I can count on one hand the # of times a tank has been gibbed via HP. Otherwise I view Endurance as just a throttle on Health and there's so many active regen effects in the game that it's kind of a pointless battle.

Also LoH is super effective after patch so it's like having an extra 250 regenerative endurance at end game if you use both LoHs on yourself.
Although when I play the expansion I am probably gonna go back to a Chanter PC and I probably will raise con on that in hopes that I can fight more often without having to regen their tiny health pool.

The change from 3% to 5% for constitution kinda also means you can't dump it that much, as each lost point would be -5%. It's good for Fighters since I think it affects constant recovery, and I really liked it on my Monk since I provoked a lot of disengagement attacks to build Wounds, and having a big health pool allowed me leeway to take risks like that. I would often get my Monk to corral enemies up in a group and get down to like ~15% endurance before he could go ballistic with Flagellant's Path and empty the battlefield in a second, and it wouldn't be possible without a big endurance pool. For other classes, maybe not as useful.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Scorchy posted:

The change from 3% to 5% for constitution kinda also means you can't dump it that much, as each lost point would be -5%. It's good for Fighters since I think it affects constant recovery, and I really liked it on my Monk since I provoked a lot of disengagement attacks to build Wounds, and having a big health pool allowed me leeway to take risks like that. I would often get my Monk to corral enemies up in a group and get down to like ~15% endurance before he could go ballistic with Flagellant's Path and empty the battlefield in a second, and it wouldn't be possible without a big endurance pool. For other classes, maybe not as useful.
:agreed: I'd never dump it. I don't dump any stats personally for party-based runs.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Now that the game informs you when you receive/lose an item or money, I noticed on my new playthrough that asking Pasca to skip payment for Sweynur's ale actually still costs you 6cp even when she agrees to it. A small bug, but a bug nonetheless :v:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
White March was working fine yesterday but, I go to boot it today and get a crash. Verifying the cache leads to it saying ~250 files need to be validated but, upon doing that it gives me a disk read error. Other games and programs on that drive work fine so the next step I am going to try is reinstalling the game. However I don't want to lose my saves is there a way to retain them?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I won't have time for a couple of days to play it, but I loaded up the game after getting the expansion just to make sure I had an appropriate save to use/pick up the new quest and.... did the game get prettier? I remember it looking pretty good, but it looks REALLY good to me now, have their been graphical improvements in a patch or did I just not really notice it before?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Azuth0667 posted:

White March was working fine yesterday but, I go to boot it today and get a crash. Verifying the cache leads to it saying ~250 files need to be validated but, upon doing that it gives me a disk read error. Other games and programs on that drive work fine so the next step I am going to try is reinstalling the game. However I don't want to lose my saves is there a way to retain them?
I believe save games are installed in a separate location from the game installation.

Jerusalem posted:

I won't have time for a couple of days to play it, but I loaded up the game after getting the expansion just to make sure I had an appropriate save to use/pick up the new quest and.... did the game get prettier? I remember it looking pretty good, but it looks REALLY good to me now, have their been graphical improvements in a patch or did I just not really notice it before?
In one of the early patches I think we fixed some filtering, but that was a long time ago. The expansion areas benefit from the area artists being much more comfortable with the art creation pipeline and our paintover artists getting more aggressive with adding details.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rope kid posted:

In one of the early patches I think we fixed some filtering, but that was a long time ago. The expansion areas benefit from the area artists being much more comfortable with the art creation pipeline and our paintover artists getting more aggressive with adding details.

I guess I just didn't really notice/appreciate it before - so here is a belated "The game looks great, kudos!" from me :)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

sassassin posted:

I would like a turn based fantasy rpg where powers and abilities aren't stupidly over the top by mid-game. Like Shadowrun where in the final act you're still mainly shooting people in the face, you just get +1 AP per character and suddenly feel like killing machines.

I preferred BG1 to BG2.

Playing Shadowrun always makes me want a big, turn-based Non-Fantasy Non-Post-Apocalypse RPG from Obsidian. Sci-Fi or something? On the Pillars engine.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Scoss posted:

How does a tankless party work? Even on my normal playthrough I felt like I needed at least two tough frontliners. I might be bad.
The tankless party I actually finished the game with consisted of Barbarian, Monk, Rogue, Wizard, Cipher, Druid. The Monk was a Moon Godlike, his racial ability combined with the Barbarian's Savage Defiance meant I had enough healing to last me for some time. And the party doesn't need a lot of time to take care of enemies, Barbarians and Rogues especially do tons of damage. Lots of CC also helped. I also play without the summoning items and even without disposable summons I rarely felt that the party couldn't deal with incoming damage well enough.

But I tried a few other parties as well. Like an all-caster one, or one that was Priest, 2 Ciphers, Barbarian, Ranger, Chanter (Chanter started out as a tank but I cheat-respecced her because it bored me and wasn't all that good in the end). None of those got beyond early Act 2, but they all did well up to that point, and I think any party that can do Raedric, Gramrfel and the Ogres in the Endless Paths is at least okay.

There's one party that I couldn't make work on PotD - 2 Monks, 2 Rangers, Chanter, Cipher - but in general I think that at least below PotD everything goes.

Edit:

Rascyc posted:

:agreed: I'd never dump it. I don't dump any stats personally for party-based runs.
I used to dump Perception on casters pretty aggressively, but that is over now.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 27, 2015

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Loving the stealth change. It adds an extra dimension/flexibility in encounter positioning which is especially appreciative now that enemy AI is more aggressive. A hidden dude with a surprise fan of flames scroll waiting in the wings has been a staple tactic for me.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I gave Kana Enigma's Charm just because and it turns out that the 5 second delay on it means it works out in such a way that he has just enough time to finish casting it before he reaches 3 phrases. So that's nice, and a per-encounter charm ability at least isn't bad as a level 2 pick.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

The little tiny four-armed lizardman is probably my favorite pet so far :3:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Emong posted:

The little tiny four-armed lizardman is probably my favorite pet so far :3:

I died laughing

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does anyone else have a strange green blob on their screen that follows them around now after installing the exp, or is that just me?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

SunAndSpring posted:

I died laughing

Oh yeah there are actual NPCs that say things. I've been playing through as rear end in a top hat Paladin and five other mute fuckers I found at an inn. I should probably give it another play with a proper party once I'm done with this one.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is leaving my non-class relevant skills at 10 good or should I be dumping points from them? I kinda hate D&D's attribute scores so I'm glad all stats are relevant here. If there's something I feel compelled to say "holy poo poo good job Ropekid" on, it's the attribute/equipment system. You managed to leave behind (one of) the shittiest part of D&D (dump stats and arbitrary armor and weapon restrictions) while still keeping the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale feel.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

BTW, this wallpaper is finally available:

http://eternity.obsidian.net/media/wallpapers/whitemarch-companions

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
of COURSE Eder's petting the wolf. :3:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Azran posted:

Is leaving my non-class relevant skills at 10 good or should I be dumping points from them? I kinda hate D&D's attribute scores so I'm glad all stats are relevant here. If there's something I feel compelled to say "holy poo poo good job Ropekid" on, it's the attribute/equipment system. You managed to leave behind (one of) the shittiest part of D&D (dump stats and arbitrary armor and weapon restrictions) while still keeping the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale feel.
I think Perception was the only easily dumpable stat before, and it's not anymore.

Now I think it mostly depends on specific classes. Like you can make a Wizard that doesn't really care about Might all that much, Rangers should be able to safely lower Con and Res by at least 2 each, and a Priest can still get away with shaving off some Per.

Anyway, it's not like you need to worry too much about it. If you feel like you want a few more points in your primary stats it's generally safe to lower a less important one by a point or two, but it's not like you ever have to.

Also, :agreed: on the basic mechanics of PoE being really good.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

all PoE wallpapers should have Edér smoking a pipe hidden somewhere.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Just found a small bug, I have Gallant's Focus active and after a charm wore off on a forest troll the mouseover tooltip showed that he was still affected by it.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Seeing that new wallpaper reminded me that I was still using that really early PoE image of Clîaban Rilag (I think it was from one of the kickstarter updates). I like the white march one a lot better because now I can read the text under my ancient desktop icons!

I'm kind of torn on what to do about this expansion; I really want to do a PC paladin party at some point (and pick up some of the companions I skipped on my first time around), but I'm having a lot of trouble motivating myself to get through act 1 with him. Assuming I can get back into the game, I would like some party composition advice:

I plan on bringing Edér, Grieving Mother and Sagani this time (GM, Sagani and the druid are the three companions I haven't gotten around to using), and I want to bring Aloth (or more likely a custom mage as I don't know how to play without slicken). That leaves one spot open. I'm only going to play on hard (I don't want to expend too much effort), so would I be okay with bringing the druid, or will I really need that rear end in a top hat priest for his buffs and debuffs? I haven't finished the game on any difficulty without a mage and a priest before.

I might also just wait until part two of the expansion is out because I don't know if I can bring myself to finish the game for a fourth time.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I've got a bug since the patch. Sometimes my PC paladin or Pallegina will start stuttering and sliding across the screen until I select them and give a new command. It seems to happen when their AI tries to use Flames of Devotion, and happens most consistently if they target an enemy with Flames of Devotion but the enemy dies before they get to use it.

EDIT: Actually it just now happened with Eder too when he tried to use Knock Down.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 27, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

I think Perception was the only easily dumpable stat before, and it's not anymore.

Now I think it mostly depends on specific classes. Like you can make a Wizard that doesn't really care about Might all that much, Rangers should be able to safely lower Con and Res by at least 2 each, and a Priest can still get away with shaving off some Per.

Anyway, it's not like you need to worry too much about it. If you feel like you want a few more points in your primary stats it's generally safe to lower a less important one by a point or two, but it's not like you ever have to.

Also, :agreed: on the basic mechanics of PoE being really good.

I think I should rephrase my question, even though your answer was quite helpful: is there any expected breakpoint of competency you are supposed to hit? Say, just like having an 18/16 on D&D. "Literally don't go below this number on your primary"?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Azran posted:

I think I should rephrase my question, even though your answer was quite helpful: is there any expected breakpoint of competency you are supposed to hit? Say, just like having an 18/16 on D&D. "Literally don't go below this number on your primary"?
Nothing more restrictive than "don't go below 10 in anything without a really good reason." Everything you spend in character creation is just icing on an already competent performance.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Wanting to take an appropriately leveled party through the expansion I've restarted on hard (same difficulty as I played at launch) and once again the first encounter to give me trouble is the spirits hanging around outside Caed Nua.

With the engagement changes I really can't wait for mental binding to come online.

Party is going to be:
Eder (Sword & Board)
Aloth
Ghost Lady Cipher (skipped her the first playthrough)
PC (Cipher, again, I can't stay away)
Merc Mage
Merc Druid

Eder or the Merc's will probably be swapped out of the expansion NPCs when I get around to it.

Being able to sell the backer gear for ~1,500cp and instantly make a party was very nice. I don't remember that being possible before.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Im a pretty big fan of having 18 in 3 stats and 8 in 3 stats, it looks nice and means you can basically always do the fluff dialogue options for 3 of the stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

zedprime posted:

Nothing more restrictive than "don't go below 10 in anything without a really good reason." Everything you spend in character creation is just icing on an already competent performance.

Alright, thanks. This system owns even harder.

• Locked thread