Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Bohemian Nights posted:

For best results in a tank I recommend default shells for their area of effect damage, thermal vision because it makes people stand out among the rubble and the chaos and an LMG because it's laser fukken accurate and the only compensation you need to do is vertical at extreme ranges. The bullet velocity makes the shots super easy to land anyway.

Other than that do what Olive branch says. Run away from engagements you can't win, be an engineer, flank other tanks when you can.

e: here's an old rear end video of me tearing poo poo up with that setup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY_Rxa5C8Ok

That video took me back to the fun days of BF4. I miss playing with you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I prefer canister shot when running tanks. It's slower than the MGs, sure, but it utterly fucks anyone thinking about jihad-jeeping you.

Seraph84
Aug 9, 2015

by XyloJW

JAssassin posted:

So as someone who's just now starting on the Phantom stuff because I want to be Legolas, does anyone have any tips for getting Main Battle Tank kills? When I manage to get in them, which is rare enough as it is, I tend to just get blown up as soon as someone looks at me funny. I never use tanks normally, and all the kills I've gotten so far are from the gunner spot, but that's reliant on my driver not sitting on a hill somewhere taking potshots at jets.

Olive Branch posted:

I personally use Sabot shells and the coaxial HMG as my loadout, with active protection for defense and zoom for optics. (...)
This person is wise in the ways of Tank. Personally I perefer the HE shells, and I use themal instead of zoom. The HMG is an absolute must-have for dealing with infantry, 2 bodyshots is a kill and it's extremely accurate out to surprising ranges. The thermal is especially useful on maps with a lot of buildings, and the longer you use it the better your eyes will train for the telltale white shreds through windows. The accuracy of the HMG is amplified by the thermal. On the big(ger) maps, you can countersnipe and wreck every bush-prone sniper out to like a mile and half.

Always have a buddy gunning with you, and he should be sweeping behind the tank often looking for enemy engineers trying to mine / c4 you. Both of you should also be doubling your mouse DPI the moment you enter the vehicle, such that you can rotate your turrets a full 180 degrees with a 4 inch sweep of your mouse. Again, If you're not running your vehicle with at least one other coordinating engineer friend, you have reduced the effectiveness of your vehicle by half. If you run into an enemy vehicle playing properly, you're going to lose the fight nine times out of ten.

If you're a 1v1 tank vs tank and both you are opponent are both 1 shot from death, hop out of the tank and nail em with an RPG, it will always be faster than the next tank shot reload and it will usually surprise them buying you enough time to line up your shot. This is often a fruitful gamble if you're losing the fight, as a vehicle even at < 5% hp and burning, it usually takes 10-15 seconds to blow, so you'll have time to turn around and repair unless you get picked off by infantry. This will be much less likely to happen if prior to repairing, you go prone and crawl under your vehicle like a proper mechanic. The bright repair sparks will be hidden along with you underneath the tank, and you can re-enter the vehicle without standing back up because you're already looking at it.

Good luck out there soldier

E: if you ever need a partner http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Halfhand84/stats/349190885/pc/

Seraph84 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 26, 2015

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I will be playing from 20:00 today. Euro goons assemble. Ask for mumble details on battlelog if you are new.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
That's a lot of great advice. I just unlocked the HMG, and I'll try the Sabot shells when I get them. I'll probably alternate between them and HE depending on the map. Thanks guys!

Also, I didn't realize I can do all of the Phantom stuff at once, not just the first, then the second, and so on, so I don't have to be TANKTANKTANK! constantly. The other thing I'm really not looking forward to is the jet kills, but that's just because I never fly jets. I think it's 20 jet kills, so it's not nearly as bad as the 200 tank kills.

How is the bow anyway? I want to get it regardless of quality just to say I have it and as a novelty.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The bow is bad.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Really bad. It's a sniper rifle, except also slow and inaccurate at long ranges. And it takes an obscene amount of effort to get for a weapon that is objectively worse than pretty much every other primary in the game.

Seraph84
Aug 9, 2015

by XyloJW

Backhand posted:

Really bad. It's a sniper rifle, except also slow and inaccurate at long ranges. And it takes an obscene amount of effort to get for a weapon that is objectively worse than pretty much every other primary in the game.
The only thing that pisses me off about the bow is that it counts as a carbine and not its own separate category, so i can't compete with my friends for kills with it on the leaderboards because they're not tracked separately.

This robbing of rightfully earned bragging rights makes the weapon nearly worthless to me.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Bad weapon? Sounds like a challenge to get it to my number one weapon with most kills to me! :colbert:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
One goon has 100+ kills with the hand flare, but I forget who.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sandweed posted:

I will be playing from 20:00 today. Euro goons assemble. Ask for mumble details on battlelog if you are new.

I'll play again because after 300+ hours of Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 I should be shooting mans more often.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

JAssassin posted:

The other thing I'm really not looking forward to is the jet kills, but that's just because I never fly jets. I think it's 20 jet kills, so it's not nearly as bad as the 200 tank kills.

Your first idea might be to join an air superiority server to grind it out of a couple of rounds. This way lies madness. Find a half empty server running paracel storm and destroy big boats and rhibs for 20 easy kills. With 1000 tickets or something it's probably doable in a single round rather than X rounds of misery in AS. If you can manage to get the plane in the air without crashing it into geometry you'll also be able to destroy big boats sitting dead in the water.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Even after all this time played and all those expansions, certain things just don't get old: http://gfycat.com/TenseSoreBlobfish :allears:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Seraph84 posted:

This person is wise in the ways of Tank. Personally I perefer the HE shells, and I use themal instead of zoom. The HMG is an absolute must-have for dealing with infantry, 2 bodyshots is a kill and it's extremely accurate out to surprising ranges. The thermal is especially useful on maps with a lot of buildings, and the longer you use it the better your eyes will train for the telltale white shreds through windows. The accuracy of the HMG is amplified by the thermal. On the big(ger) maps, you can countersnipe and wreck every bush-prone sniper out to like a mile and half.
A mile and a half? Bro. :smug: Seriously. I dare your GOL Magnum to countersnipe my T90. Zoom optics or nuthin. Try using thermal on Silk Road. I can't stand it even on more compact maps like Zavod 311, the glowing poo poo is cool but I can't see jack poo poo as far as surroundings and in close quarters every little bit of cover an enemy is hiding behind is crucial IMO cause with thermal I can't see if it's something I can blow up or not.

edit: So having established that there are advantages and drawbacks to the various main weapons of the MBT, what about attack boats? Near as I can tell, if you're not using the burst cannon your rear end is dead after one load of that, a TV missile, and the next load of the burst cannon. Notice I sad "your" rear end, cause I'm loving Poseidon. Helicopters can give me a black eye but they aren't worth much against the burst cannon either.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 26, 2015

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

In theory the 30mm boat gun is best against armor and other boats, but burst is amazing and kills most targets reasonably quick, including attack jets.

For tanks I'm partial to canister since it will one shot light vehicles. Not great against helicopters, but it'll easily disable a jet also.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Boat battles are more often determined by getting a TV missile in on someone that hasn't seen you more than anything else. A 25mm or 30mm cannon will serve you much better if you want to kill other attack boats but the burst cannon will gently caress up dumb helicopter pilots that circle you low and slow and I find it generally better against infantry as well.

Also kind of dumb fun is just using the burst cannon and AA missiles and just annoying the hell out of anything in the air. You'll die to another boat every 5 minutes but chasing down a scout helicopter with AA missiles is funny as hell because no one ever does it.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
As for the tank kills, it says kills in an MBT, not kills with the MBT main gun. You can get into tanks and rack up kills with the passenger MG. I believe that's exactly what I did while riding with tank goons.

Seraph84
Aug 9, 2015

by XyloJW

Friar Zucchini posted:

edit: So having established that there are advantages and drawbacks to the various main weapons of the MBT, what about attack boats? Near as I can tell, if you're not using the burst cannon your rear end is dead after one load of that, a TV missile, and the next load of the burst cannon. Notice I sad "your" rear end, cause I'm loving Poseidon. Helicopters can give me a black eye but they aren't worth much against the burst cannon either.
I love attack boats, that burst cannon is the deadliest weapon in the game. If you're accurate, it cuts through both helis and planes like butter. Just keep it a good distance away from tanks and always keep situation awareness on the other team's boats. Make sure you land the first hit in every fight.

Tasoth posted:

As for the tank kills, it says kills in an MBT, not kills with the MBT main gun. You can get into tanks and rack up kills with the passenger MG.
That's correct.

JAssassin posted:

Bad weapon? Sounds like a challenge to get it to my number one weapon with most kills to me! :colbert:
I considered doing this, but I have like 1,100 kills with the compact .45. No way in hell am I going for 1,000 bow kills, too masochistic.

Kibayasu posted:

You'll die to another boat every 5 minutes but chasing down a scout helicopter with AA missiles is funny as hell because no one ever does it.
You can kill scout helis with the burst cannon very quickly too though, and it's quite accurate. I use the TOW missile and try to close the distance while dodging TV missile snipes.

Seraph84 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 26, 2015

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Seraph84 posted:

I love attack boats, that burst cannon is the deadliest weapon in the game. If you're accurate, it cuts through both helis and planes like butter. Just keep it a good distance away from tanks and always keep situation awareness on the other team's boats. Make sure you land the first hit in every fight.

That's correct.

I considered doing this, but I have like 1,100 kills with the compact .45. No way in hell am I going for 1,000 bow kills, too masochistic.
You can kill scout helis with the burst cannon very quickly too though, and it's quite accurate. I use the TOW missile and try to close the distance while dodging TV missile snipes.

1V1 ME IN DAIKATANA YOU GODDAMN COCKBREATH COMMIE MOTHERFUCKER

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Yeah, boat battles are overwhelmingly a question of who sees who first, and knowing how to use TV missiles. Watch your map like a hawk.

And burst cannon is indeed what you want, because it's best against air vehicles.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Seraph84 posted:

Yeah, but I mean chasing down those that are still a fair distance away and have no idea how something is still locking onto them. They're so used to only having to hit ECM and then fly somewhere far away for it to recharge. Though it also only really works on Paracel.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Welp, my favorite server is now completely ruined. Starting last week this clan of level 140 spergs come in every night during primetime, 7 or 8 of them, and stack one team and proceed to completely wreck everyone. They jump in the tanks and scout helicopters and then proceed to literally have a 50/1 KDR every single round. By they end all of them take up the top 6,7,8 spots on their team when they win 650 tickets to 0. So after like an hour of this the server drops from having a long que to get in to 30 guys at the most because it becomes utterly unfun to play. They all stay in their own private squad so they don't get autobalanced away from each other. The clan that actually runs the server doesn't seem to be that active so theres never an admin on or anything to kick them off.

Can anyone recommend a good 64 player, normal mode, all maps, large conquest server that doesn't have retarded poo poo like fast xp and spawning with 2000 tickets?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 27, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Welp, my favorite server is now completely ruined. Starting last week this clan of level 140 spergs come in every night during primetime, 7 or 8 of them, and stack one team and proceed to completely wreck everyone. They jump in the tanks and scout helicopters and then proceed to literally have a 50/1 KDR every single round. By they end all of them take up the top 6,7,8 spots on their team when they win 650 tickets to 0. So after like an hour of this the server drops from having a long que to get in to 30 guys at the most because it becomes utterly unfun to play. They all stay in their own private squad so they don't get autobalanced away from each other. The clan that actually runs the server doesn't seem to be that active so theres never an admin on or anything to kick them off.

Can anyone recommend a good 64 player, normal mode, all maps, large conquest server that doesn't have retarded poo poo like fast xp and spawning with 2000 tickets?

That first part sounds like a lot of fun actually.

As for finding a server that doesn't have the dumb rules they usually advertise them right in the server name so they're pretty easy to avoid. "Fast xp" isn't really a thing though, I've played on servers with that in the title and they had normal rules. The only one I know offhand is the PURE conquest server, though they run the DLC maps so if you don't have those then I can't help you.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Boat chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN4IoLX-Sn0

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Dillbag posted:

One goon has 100+ kills with the hand flare, but I forget who.

Jerremy900, he has 100 kills with pretty much everything. Also flashbang kills are "easy". Grab a dmr(not the sks) lay down a slam, shoot the slam and then throw the flair on it. And by easy I mean no one in their right mind would do this.

Had the conference call will post the results when I wake up.

Bohemian, not sure what it's called in real life but the break off is the direction of movement when suddenly being attacked. Since most people play with only 4 possible directional inputs the angle you are doing is allowed by either a full analog 360 sensor array or a 8 way switch using multiple sensors to mimic 360° movement. It is a kind of neat trick using the distance per sensor to determine true indicated direction. Usually you can tell what type you have by listening while rotating the stock in a full 369 and counting the clicks or lack of.

xyigx fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 27, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Bohemian Nights posted:

Your first idea might be to join an air superiority server to grind it out of a couple of rounds. This way lies madness. Find a half empty server running paracel storm and destroy big boats and rhibs for 20 easy kills. With 1000 tickets or something it's probably doable in a single round rather than X rounds of misery in AS. If you can manage to get the plane in the air without crashing it into geometry you'll also be able to destroy big boats sitting dead in the water.

not necessarily, Air Superiority can work if you find the right one. I ended up getting my 20 kills by joining a clan server where it was guns only. Still took awhile to figure out how to not fly in a straight line but hey I'm not usually an air person :v:

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014
What everyone else says regarding tanks is true. Essentially there is no single best setup but there are ideal setups for how you want to use the tank.
In an anti infantry/infantry support roll. The default shells and a LMG or cannisters with thermals will tear up the enemy forces. But loses in tje 1v1 tank battle.
I personally play anti-armor so I spec with the sabot, zoom optics, reload, w/ LMG. Zoom optics and sabot give a massive advantage in mid/long range engagements. The LMG gives you the ability to suppress and kill engineers trying to ruin your day.
Basically decided how you're going to play the tank and then try to keep in that comfort zone where its going to excel.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tank set-up may also depend on the map. On Golmud or any map where I might be firing more than a hundred meters (or at helicopters) I'll definitely take Sabot rounds but if I grab a tank on Shanghai or Zavod or any map where I'm likely to be pretty close to what I'm shooting at I'll take HE. The damage difference may not seem like much until you nail another tank from the side or rear and do 40/60 damage.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Editing videos, have the euro info will post this weekend when I am mildly less high.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150494212630637/
Summer patch + Zavod night releasing on Sep1 unless you're a European on the Playstation in which case you're waiting until Sep8 (only for Zavod).

Patch should have a bunch of netcode improvements and 60Hz servers but no idea if it does.
e: high-tickrate servers are a few weeks out still

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 28, 2015

DA PANET EARF
Jun 14, 2011

Thank you to sinesineSINE for helping me keep the angry man more angry.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Is the LLJK platoon still going? I've applied as MrMagicalMAn if it is.

If it isn't, feel free to add me as a friend on Origin

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

DA PANET EARF posted:

Thank you to sinesineSINE for helping me keep the angry man more angry.

homeboy was really upset about the gay agenda

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

Is the LLJK platoon still going? I've applied as MrMagicalMAn if it is.

If it isn't, feel free to add me as a friend on Origin

Approved you. It is a bit sparse in player's right now but we will be back with the patch or just come in the CTS mumble and we will usually play*

*offer only valid if we are sober or drunk and not all gloming onto some really bad game at the time.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

hi I'm posting to get an invite, I was already rocking the tag but I want in the platoon too

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

xyigx posted:

Approved you. It is a bit sparse in player's right now but we will be back with the patch or just come in the CTS mumble and we will usually play*

*offer only valid if we are sober or drunk and not all gloming onto some really bad game at the time.

Speaking of gloming onto other games, Ahnuld and I played an ARMA 3 mod last night (with no zombies) and ended up car jacking a armored truck, selling it for a helicopter Ahnuld promptly broke and then later after I rammed a bicycle into it to move it away from an admin chopper and then we made a run to siphon gas from a truck to get enough gas to fly to the gas station so we could steal people's cars and sell them. Ahnuld ended up getting the gas tank of the chopper shot out and for some reason it exploded when it ran out of gas as he flew away.

That all happened over a period of like three hours, by the way, lots of fun stuff happened, but my god was there a lot of doing nothing between everything.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
That's kind of how Arma works. A lot of nothing followed by HOLY poo poo WHAT THE gently caress

I like it. It's a nice change of pace.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

tehinternet posted:

That's kind of how Arma works. A lot of nothing followed by HOLY poo poo WHAT THE gently caress

I like it. It's a nice change of pace.

Yeah, I'll be back, it really is different and fun. Try not to blow up the heli next time.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, I'll be back, it really is different and fun. Try not to blow up the heli next time.

You should be more worried about him doing a spontaneous transfusion when he comes to help splint your leg. Blood bags don't help when its your last bit of blood to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Tasoth posted:

You should be more worried about him doing a spontaneous transfusion when he comes to help splint your leg. Blood bags don't help when its your last bit of blood to begin with.

There are far fewer ways to grief goons in the Arma III mods. Well. A stray goon here and there may have caught a bullet or two with their face.

Maybe.

• Locked thread